Internal Links don't work (as well as most everything else)

Bazzall

Idea

If i create an internal link in a note clicking on it "sometimes" opens up another link that i must then click. In the Legacy version nothing happens at all. Previously was very fast and simple to click on the link to take you straight to the linked note

It seems we have waited years for the update for all the "new features" to finally get here to find the only update is the removal of most of the functionallity.

Applescript doesnt work.... Meaning Hazel scripts no longer work

Taskclone doesnt work ..... Meaning no automatic creating tasks in other apps from notes

Tags sometimes work...... making tagging slow and "hit and miss" , previously it was possible to quickly tag and move out the inbox

Reminders ...... Another thing that was easy to add , sometimes will add it, but so far i have to try a few times to get the reminder to appear. No reminders at all in the web version, though I thought this update was to bring everything together and operate the same across every platform.

Selecting Notes....... Looking at alternatives to sync pdf's in to Evernote as Hazel cannot anymore, I tried another sync option, but realise that now its only possible to select 50 notes at a time, meaning the new sync has synced 3000 notes (all already in Evernote, but needed to keep sync correct), and find I can only delete 50 at a time.

Email integration ...... I have used Airmail, Spark etc. and now these seem to have lost the ability to quickly add emails to evernote, It seems forwarding the email will work, but no longer a one click option.

Really disapointed that I have supported Evernote for so long, when many people have talked about leaving as "no updates and no new features" for so long , when for me it worked very very good at what it did, and didn't see the urgent need to "fix" what worked. Now we are left with an official release that has removed much of the functionality that kept Evernote ahead of the competition. Now it seems everyone is REALLY waiting for updates to Evernote just to return features that have been removed, for what? more text options? 

• Like 9

16 replies to this idea

it also creates a "http://" link if you mark a text, then select "create link" and then paste the link.

If you, instead, directly paste the link into an Evernote note a "evernote://" link will be created.

Maybe this is how it is designed - but a user should know there is a difference how creating links within an Evernote note.

• Like 1

What you said above has been my experience as well. I have been pasting the internal link into an existing note so go to "edit" and copy/paste the evernote:/// link into other applications (namely airtable). Inconvenient but it does work. The issue I am having is that when I click the link in Airtable to open a specific note in the Evernote app, it tends to open either a random note or the most recently edited note. Often these notes are not even in the same notebook as the linked note. 

I am a new Evernote user and have never used the legacy or classic version, only the most recent version starting 10/13, so cannot speak as to whether legacy links work 

Thanks for the feedback on internal links--we're working on resolving a few specific issues around their functionality, namely the behavior of a evernote:/// link created on the newest version of Evernote. One item that we are still investigating is version 10's ability to pick up on classic (evernote:///) links created on the Legacy Evernote client. All of our testing indicates this is working and preserves classic link functionality, but we have seen a few reports indicating it is not.

Have you had any similar experience? Or has it been the former, where new internal links created on the new Evernote do not work correctly on Legacy or when pasted externally as evernote:/// links?

What you are explaining works. An evernote:/// link works, and using Taskclone (which originally lost connectivity with the upgrade) still seems to use the evernote:/// link and all appear to work correctly. Of course (unless Im missing something) I am unable to create this type of link to any note using version 10, but using the Legacy version will create both types of Link that both work.

However, If i copy the link to a note and paste in to another Note it creates a link which is "evernote:///", however to go to another application the same  link pastes as a "https://www.evernote" link.

I see as a work around, due to links not working from the first click within a note, it is possible to select the "evernote:///" from the pop up box of the link within the evernote note and then copy the evernote:/// link which when pasted in to other apps will open within the Evernote app and not go to the web browser.

• Like 1

Got it--so the current workflow problem is that the new created note links require you to paste into Evernote and then copy the evernote:/// link to get it. Easy if you want to keep it in Evernote, extra work if you plan on distributing this out to other apps and not using the www note link.

This is super helpful, thank you for the comments, and for confirming the existing classic note links are working correctly. We indexed for that out the gate and I was concerned there was an exception we might not be seeing.

(and open call--anyone who does have an issue with a classic note link created  from Legacy working, please do leave a comment)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 10/13/2020 at 6:08 PM, gbarry said:

Got it--so the current workflow problem is that the new created note links require you to paste into Evernote and then copy the evernote:/// link to get it. Easy if you want to keep it in Evernote, extra work if you plan on distributing this out to other apps and not using the www note link.

This is super helpful, thank you for the comments, and for confirming the existing classic note links are working correctly. We indexed for that out the gate and I was concerned there was an exception we might not be seeing.

(and open call--anyone who does have an issue with a classic note link created  from Legacy working, please do leave a comment)

I have noticed that if I copy the link to another app, such as email, doing as I said above to open the app and not web, the link will go to the correct note.... HOWEVER..... if you then move to another note without moving note books and then go back to the email (in this example) and click the link , it will just open the evernote app at whatever you had open not the actual linked note.

For example :

• I create a link to a note titled 2020-10-15-ABC1 (how i date my notes)
  • Paste this into the note and then copy the evernote:/// link from the popup
  • Paste this link in to an email and send the email (to use as an example)
  • When the email is received i click on the link and it takes me to the note within All Notes.
  • I then scroll down in All notes and select another note , for example 2020-10-10-ABC1
  • I then go to my email app again with evernote open but in the background and click the link in the email
  • Evernote comes back to the front but stays on the note already open i.e 2020-10-10-ABC1, not the linked note.

If , however......

• I click on a different notebook, i.e !Inbox within nevernote
  • Go back to the email and click the link again
  • Evernote opens as before in the All Notes with the linked note.

It seems to me this will be a problem.

I also tried putting links to two different notes to see what will happen.

• Repeated the steps above and works correctly it opens the first linked note 
  • Without doing anything within Evernote i clicked the second note link from the email and Evernote comes to the front but still showing the first linked note.
  • Unless you move out of the All notes within evernote the links do not work to take you to the correct note.
  • If between clicking links you go from All notes to another notebook the links will work to take you to the correct note.

However, again, after trying this a few times with different notes it has now stopped working altogether.

If i create 3 different links to different notes and try to open them outside of Evernote with the evernote:/// link, it just keeps going to the first note. Even if evernote is quit and re-opened. regardless of the link it goes to the same note.

Ive kept repeating the above and Evernote crashed, it will then work as I explained but quickly the links just dont work and do not open any related note or notebook. Just random.

Sorry, I thought I had found either a solution or a problem, but seems it sometimes works and sometimes doesnt.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, JosefMoravek said:

My solution:
Install Evernote Legacy.app
in-app links evernote:///  OK,  Hook.app integration / functional to and from Legacy
apple-script - little change to /Application/Evernote Legacy.app

Not sure where Hook.app comes in

I also had a problem that my applescripts referenced application "Evernote"

I installed the Evernote Legacy.app; renamed it to Evernote.app
The version 10 Evernote.app is renamed to Evernote10.app

I'm having problems with links from the Legacy version. Apart from needing two 9sometimes more) clicks, instead of a single click, when the linked note opens, the snippet is not visible. The attached screen shot shows the result of following a link.

Screenshot 2020-10-26 at 19.24.07.png

I have the same problem. I have a budget XLS, where I paste the link to (e.g.) an invoice, which has been uploaded to Evernote, into that XLS beside the amount. This used to work perfectly fine until recently:

1. Upload invoice to Evernote via Scannable
  2. Move it into the correct Notebook, add keywords etc.
  3. Right click on that note, select "copy internal link"
  4. Jump over to the XLS, Paste the clipboard content (i.e. the link) into the correct cell. There, it displays as the title of the note with a link behind it, so I can jump straight from Excel into that note in evernote.

Since the latest Evernote version, on right-licking the note title (Step 3 above) and selecting "copy internal link" I have to select between two types of link, whichever I choose, when I copy it into Excel, it is displayed there as evernote:/// link, with NO link behind it.

However, the roundabout way described above with an intermediate step via another note works, albeit clumsily. Thanks for that.

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, mk161257 said:

when I copy it into Excel, it is displayed there as evernote:/// link, with NO link behind it.

I posted a feature request at 

I'm also having this problem. I went back to Evernote Legacy after realizing that Evernote 10 does not support internal links. I depend on internal links to integrate my ToDoist workflow with Evernote.  In previous versions, I can click the internal link in Todoist and it will take me directly to the Evernote desktop application (I'm on Windows 10).

It doesn't work with Evernote legacy.

I can create the internal link as previous (right-click on the note, and hit CTRL+"Copy Internal Link").  This creates the evernote:/// link and I can paste it into Todoist.  However, when I click on it, NOTHING happens.

When I click on it on my work desktop, which still has Evernote 9 running on it (I never upgraded to 10), it works perfectly.

Ack!

Still having this problem with DevonThink integration.  The following link works in Legacy, but not in the current version:

x-devonthink-item://CEF87B76-7987-4C3A-AD36-198FA93F20FD

If I try to make this a link in Evernote 10.14.7,  it insists on inserting "http://" in front of the link, thereby sending it to the browser and subsequently failing.

C'mon, Evernote - this has to be an easy coding fix.  If the link is an X- callback url, don't insert an extra protocol string!

19 minutes ago, Skeuo108 said:

Still having this problem with DevonThink integration.  The following link works in Legacy, but not in the current version:

x-devonthink-item://CEF87B76-7987-4C3A-AD36-198FA93F20FD

If I try to make this a link in Evernote 10.14.7,  it insists on inserting "http://" in front of the link, thereby sending it to the browser and subsequently failing.

This thread was originally about accessing links to EN from other apps. This is the other way around and is more related to the loss of file:/// type links.

On Windows the workaround is to create a Windows shortcut to the file you want and then attach that to an EN note. I have no idea whether that translates to Devonthink and Mac!