Only 50 notes selectable?

Alxa
Go to solution Solved by DMiddleton,

Idea

Hi, with the new Evernote 10 client only 50 notes are selectable. This way, nobody can locally export whole databases for backup reasons. I thought, this would be a beta restriction but it seems Evernote does not care anymore of local backups in any way. Even online/offline state of notes is not visible anywhere. With no opportunity to backup my precious data and memories the new client is and will be a no go. Going on using the native client for......how long will the fully functional Evernote client be supported????

Regards

Alex 

• Like 1

18 replies to this idea

Hello, 

I often backup my notes by exporting  them as .enex file. Great. But now it is almost impossible:

1. Right click to Notebook in legacy version brings context menu: "Export Notebook as enex". — Now impossible. No context menu applears afteer R-click on notebook.
  2. Selecting all the notes and exporting them as one huge .enex file. — Now impossible. Only 50 notes at once can be to selected. Nightmare in case of thousands of notes.

Can we hope in enabling those features before the old version of Evernote will be killed?

On 10/8/2020 at 10:11 AM, PinkElephant said:

Since the information "This note belongs to that notebook" is lost on export, it is anyhow advisable to export notebook by notebook.

The title of each note is also lost, not so with export from legacy version.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I understand exactly, but if you're looking to export your notebooks, the manual option is still there. Select NOTEBOOKS in the left hand navigation window and you'll see a listing of those. Right-clicking the notebook there gives you an EXPORT option to create the ENEX file. I have yet to find a DB as it was before.

• Level 5

Since the information "This note belongs to that notebook" is lost on export, it is anyhow advisable to export notebook by notebook.

Only by doing so the original set up of notes in notebooks can be reproduced in a restore situation. Otherwise you get a heap of notes that will not tell in which notebook a note was located.

8 hours ago, CabbageTree said:

Right click to Notebook in legacy version brings context menu: "Export Notebook as enex". — Now impossible. No context menu applears afteer R-click on notebook.

You need the three dots menu next to the notebook. This gives you the option to export,

image.png.5010dbd026600187a921bef3e3014d96.png

Happy New Year. I still can't select more than 50 notes...

which is a problem because I found that my AppleScript that creates notes from pdf's went off the rails. It create a few thousand duplicate notes that I want to delete. My current batch has 2500 duplicates where it processed the same file 2500 times. :(

On 10/8/2020 at 7:53 AM, Dunnington said:

I suppose I will keep the old version installed for this purpose.  🤦‍♂️

Good idea. I just found the installer for v6 on Windows. I mostly use Mac but I have a Windows VM I can install the older version on. 

26 minutes ago, TheGooch said:

Happy New Year. I still can't select more than 50 notes...

which is a problem because I found that my AppleScript that creates notes from pdf's went off the rails. It create a few thousand duplicate notes that I want to delete. My current batch has 2500 duplicates where it processed the same file 2500 times. :(

There is a work around for this editing the config file to allow selecting more notes in the new version, until (or even if) they increase the limit officially.
50 Note Selection Limit Workaround (evernote.com)

• Level 5

You ever exported all notes on one heap ? And reimported them from the ENEX file ?

What did you observe when looking at the newly imported notes ?

You have no notebook information from ENEX export. All notes that were in their respective notebooks now are on one big heap.

This is why exporting more than a notebook at a time makes little sense. You export notebook after notebook, name each ENEX file accordingly - and now you can import them in an orderly manner, recreating content AND structure. Not invented with v10, legacy works the same way.

• Evernote Expert
18 hours ago, hopefull - change happens said:

just updated to the new windows version --- wow!   no longer allowing a backup, only select 50 notes or must backup one notebook at a time.....    you guys just created a "D" grade software ---- nice job :( 

It is reasonably well documented that it is possible to adjust the number of notes that can be selected at one time.  I have it set to 500 which is more than enough.  The 50 figure is set to accomodate performance against function. Search through the forums and you'll find the tweak you need to make the adjustment that you need. Otherwise, we still have the legacy program which does everything that Evernote ever did previously without any change.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
59 minutes ago, EpsilonAlpha said:

Still an issue which expanded meanwhile to all Desktop Versions: Windows, Mac and Web-Version as well

Not so much an issue as a fact of Evernote life. The limit is set at 50 as a compromise between performance and function and, I suspect, is unlikely to change.  As noted earlier, if you want to be able to work with a larger number of notes then you can tweak the settings yourself but expect slower processing the more notes you manipulate in bulk.

• Level 5

From what was communicated in another thread by EN staff, they are working on a performance package. When it releases (usually soon when they start talking about it), it may be the 50 notes limit is raised or lifted as well.

In fact I spend my whole day in the train, working offline, reorganizing and cleaning my notes and setup.

Could have done it with legacy, but decided to use v10 on my Mac instead. Guys, it is really not bad. Takes a little longer than legacy, but even moving notes in blocks of 50 to another notebook was no show stopper - took less than a minute.

In the process as a whole the element slowing things down still sits in front of the screen. And in my normal „Inbox zero“ operation today I never had the need to move 50 notes at once, it was 35 max.

The only function I missed while offline was merging notes - this was disabled.