Hate the new Evernote

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:But for the time being, running legacy is probably the „best alternative“ you can pick. This must not mean the best one can imagine, but the best among several less-than-attractive choices.

As you said, it depends on your Workflows. for me (mac user) moving to Devonthink turned out to be way better than staying with EN Legacy.

In a twisted way I am starting to be thankful for V10 as I likely never would have given Devonthink a shot otherwise...

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Big Trev said:

Legacy is available, but unsupported with no bugfixes or updates.  If you report an issue with Legacy, you'll likely be told to "upgrade" to v10.

I appreciate the insights friend! I'll give Legacy a go.

• Like 1
  • Shane D. changed the title to Not happy with the latest release

Evernote for Mac is just broken, at least on my MacBook Pro running Mojave.

It is no longer possible to simply create a note and start typing on a blank page.

Instead, you create the note and get an ugly page filled up mostly with a giant icon of a missing image. When you type in the title of your note, it creates a box in which the title also appears. So, you have the title, and then a box with the title in it immediately above the title.

Then you get a prompt that tells you to "just start typing or choose a" never finishing the sentence. If you accidentally click that, thinking that might be where to start typing, it takes you to the templates -- which I guess could be useful in special cases, but it ought to be possible to also do the most basic thing: Type a simple note.

If you figure out how to get out of the templates, then you have to figure out where, exactly, to start typing -- which turns out to be an unmarked narrow area between the 2nd title and the prompt. If you click there, an oddly shaped and colored box appears, and you must write within that. It's distracting, and the left edge abuts your text with no margin.

And yes, as others have said, using the web clipper now results in highly erratic, and again often very ugly, pages filled with those giant icons that I guess are supposed to be missing images?

I hope they let us go back, at least until this is less buggy. Now, I'm trying to think if I have an old version on an old computer...

Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 9.45.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 9.46.25 PM.png

• Thanks 1

I think all of these posts say it very well. What you have done is destroyed a very good and extremely useful app (otherwise I would have not been subscribing for many years).

As for the Project Manager, they should be sacked. The whole process was a disaster you released beta apps with next to no functionality and allowed it to replace a perfectly functioning app. For me this meant that I could do none of the things I was doing before. Brilliant decision! How was I supposed to evaluate a barely functioning app?

Furthermore, why didn't you survey your users before you decided to rework the app? Maybe it actually wasn't required.

Was the purpose to accommodate the  up coming apple silicon (which may or may not take off). If so you should have been more careful in maintaining your current user base who, for want of a better expression, are paying your wages!

Maybe the new apples will take off to the point that where us old school users are in significant minority then... However, what's wrong with supporting both camps? If you don't then you could well lose a significant portion of your business income as we old schoolers make alternative arrangements.

I shall stop now as I'm getting tired of ranting about what is essentially poor/non-existent joined up thinking!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
24 minutes ago, Big Trev said:

Yes, but if it stopps synchronising, you will not be supported.  If it's a bug in Legacy, it will not be fixed. If you engage support, they will tell you to "upgrade" to 10.  That's what unsupported means.

You are right - this will happen sometime in the future    
For today, this is not an issue

• Level 5
1 minute ago, Big Trev said:

Yes, but if it stopps synchronising, you will not be supported.  If it's a bug in Legacy, it will not be fixed. If you engage support, they will tell you to "upgrade" to 10.  That's what unsupported means.

Ooooooooh 😱 !

Haven‘t needed support for the last year using legacy, but I am sure it will jump at me the moment I turn my back. Or is this the philosophy to commit suicide because you are afraid of dying ?

Legacy is called legacy because it is the stable release that carried us for the last appr. 2 years. Sure, anything can happen, but for now what is important is that my workflows are supported. 

And even if I had problems: If support tells me I need to install v10, and I do it out of my complete desperation (ROTFL), I am not worse off with running legacy until then than installing v10 now, and shooting my workflows into the knee.

Less panic, and more logical thinking, please !

Well, I suppose this isn't technically an EN problem, but when Windoz decided to "upgrade" itself the other night, my organizational structure on EN was messed up. It wasn't terrible, just several dozen notes appearing in places where they didn't belong. But I'm guessing part of the problem arose when I mistakenly "upgraded" to EN 10, which destabilized years of organization, in addition to making notes uglier and impossible to format decently. 

Really, EN, you shouldn't be foisting a beta product on your user base, especially a beta product that is so bad you alienate your clients. 

• Like 1

I wound up searching these forums today because the new "improved" Windows app didn't know how to add terms to the dictionary for some reason. I find it reassuring that others hate the new app but the different issues they're reporting is disconcerting. It's a fundamental rule of the Linux kernel developers that things they change under the hood of Linux should never create issues for existing user software. Would that the Evernote crew subscribed to similar reasoning with their UI "upgrades".

I understand the appeal and/or necessity of moving to a unified UI and minimizing the differences between the Windows and Mac applications. I even understand the trend of making everything a web app in look and feel. I just don't like the changes.  And I really don't understand the necessity of removing features. But I'm just an existing Premium customer so what do I know? Still, I'd think a forum thread where Premium users are suggesting alternative products would underscore the issues with leaving existing customers behind.

In any event, I removed the new v10 app and reinstalled using a backup copy of Evernote_6.24.2.8919.exe. Things seem back to normal now. I've certainly relearned the necessity of regular offline backups of my information. I can't see any reason for new apps to bork syncing our databases, however, given that previously released software syncs fine. An edict that syncing could disappear at any moment -- a rather odd implication for a company selling easy access to data -- comes across as a veiled threat to strongly encourage upgrading. Nice little unsupported app you've got there, Bunky. Sure would be a shame if you couldn't sync anymore or your data got corrupted.

• Like 1

Evernote Team,
I just upgraded to Evernote 10.3.6 on Mac and as a paying customer, I find it extraordinarily disappointing.

The app loads, the notes load, everything seems functional. However, this version seems more like a beta than a release version. The following features missing in 10.3.6 really impede my usage of the app:

• command-J for jumping
  • cmd-ctrl-N to open a new Evernote window: I often keep Evernote closed until I need it, then I use this shortcut to open a window. If I do this in 10.3.6, it seems there is no way to open an Evernote window short of quitting and restarting the app.
  • command-ctrl-F for search. Searching should be a core feature and should only require a two-letter shortcut command.

I was at least able to find the following support article which shows the status of keyboard shortcuts: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313358

Please restore / correct these features, thanks for reading.

• DTLow changed the title to Feedback - Not happy with the latest release

The new version is terrible. Which idiots wrote this I really don't know but searching and all other features are limited. This can not be new version this is just a "idiot version". What are you doing evernote? Why are you getting idiot???

edit: I turned back to older version. There is no other soluiton. Goddamn .

• Ex Employees

We appreciate all of your feedback and hear you. We're continuing to work on building more features and performance improvements in the new Evernote apps.  Our latest release, version 10.3 has significant performance improvements, bug fixes, and some UI improvements. Check out the Coming Soon section of our release notes to see what else is coming soon:

• Quickly search and move to different note using a keyboard shortcut (Mac - CMD+J, Windows - Ctrl+Q)
  • Create new audio recordings and playback audio files
  • Top list view (the same condensed view as side-list, but the list is on top)
  • Dragging and dropping note links directly into your note
  • Global keyboard shortcuts
  • Additional export options

Others have mentioned it in this thread, but I did want to remind everyone reading that If 10.3 doesn't meet your needs just yet, you can reinstall the legacy version, 6.25.2. from here: https://help.evernote.com/hc/articles/360052560314

On 11/9/2020 at 2:02 PM, Big Trev said:

We're  committed to keeping the legacy apps available until we're closer to closing the feature gap between them and the new clients.  Since we're making no changes to the app, we feel that there's little risk in introducing a new bug that would potentially block you from using the legacy version. For example, there's still a handful of users using version 6.7.6. released over three years ago without major issues. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Level 5

Thanks for improving EN v10 - it needs it, and I see it as a positive starting point to improve EN in the future.

Thanks for assuring that legacy will be supported as long as EN v10 does not support crucial Workflows. 

A small selection from my view, without any completeness or priority:

• support for Fujitsu ix(1)500 Scanner with standard firmware (nobody needs a new notebook when he just Scans a few pages)
  • Ability to create a pdf instead of a picture by the integrated scanner, OCR integrated into the pdf instead of somewhere in the note
  • Email and print any note
  • Full search capability, including inside of attachments, highlighting search hits inside of attachments as well (maybe pdf only)
  • Search including notebooks shared to me by others
  • Complete ability to work on several notes at once (on iOS as well, maybe on offline content only), like merging, moving, tagging
  • Capable web clipper, including iOS (my main device for browsing is my iPad, but the clipping by sharing often does not work)
  • Ability to delete notes or notebooks that were shared to me from my own account (= ending the share), without action by the owner
  • Apple Watch integration, Quick note feature for all apps including dictation / transcript
  • Siri shortcuts, both on iOS and MacOS, scripting support 
  • EN Widget, linked to EN reminders, ability to set recurring reminders
  • Share reminders to Apple reminders and calendar and other apps (like Things or Todoist)
  • Full support for split screen and having 2 app sessions open at a time on iPad, Drag & Drop

To be continued ...

P.S. I appreciate it very much that you start to give some forward guidance about what to expect next !

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Austin G said:

We appreciate all of your feedback and hear you. We're continuing to work on building more features and performance improvements in the new Evernote apps.  Our latest release, version 10.3 has significant performance improvements, bug fixes, and some UI improvements. Check out the Coming Soon section of our release notes to see what else is coming soon:

We're  committed to keeping the legacy apps available until we're closer to closing the feature gap between them and the new clients.  Since we're making no changes to the app, we feel that there's little risk in introducing a new bug that would potentially block you from using the legacy version. For example, there's still a handful of users using version 6.7.6. released over three years ago without major issues. 

You start with a promise of significant changes coming soon and finish by saying (in effect) Legacy app downloads can disappear as soon as those changes arrive. Which is simply a more positively phrased version of what's already been said. It's a bit like me saying I'm committed to losing weight until my weight changes. If the company is truly committed there should be no problem promising the Legacy app will continue to sync without new bugs through, say, 2021. But such a promise would in effect be supporting the legacy app, wouldn't it? So aside from a reaffirmation of the previously announced features to come, nothing's really changed by your post.

I'm old enough to remember when release notes documented changes in a product released to customers, not promotional statements about changes coming Real Soon Now. What in the world has happened to software companies these days?

2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Thanks for assuring that legacy will be supported as long as EN v10 does not support crucial Workflows.

No, that's not what was stated at all. There's no statement the Legacy app will be supported, merely a commitment to making it available. And for how long? I don't know what a promise to support crucial workflows means given the numerous reported problems with v10, but I'm pretty sure it's not "until we're closer to closing the feature gap".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, peacewolfus said:

The new version is terrible. Which idiots wrote this I really don't know but searching and all other features are limited. This can not be new version this is just a "idiot version". What are you doing evernote? Why are you getting idiot???

I really dislike people who sit on the fence and refuse to say what they mean!

However, it’s not my favourite Evernote user experience of the past 10+ years 

• Haha 1

So, EN just updated for me automatically on the Mac through the AppStore. Now I have a version (10.2 something) that is essentially unusable. No fonts. No tabs. No Cmd-J. No pretty much everything I use on a daily basis. Not only is this a lousy way to treat your customers, it also reminds me that, after years of premium membership, I really have no faith left in EN as a product. Moving to Notion, despite the switching cost.

Thank you for what was, under Phil's leadership, a fantastic product.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
16 minutes ago, ellabätsch said:

EN just updated for me automatically on the Mac through the AppStore

You might want to consider turning off auto-updates

The Version 10 product is a work-in-progress; not ready for general use

If you don't want the Version 10 product, install a legacy version     
(https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314?fbclid=IwAR2TNqp-eGRH3Ds8Vfu-CiKPjYolJzZ_keR9eWQaDahJ2GN-7hwn595zI8w&__s=bsetfdgzirbvqtopurph)

• Like 1

Well, unfortunately, after reading all these things, all I have to to do (as a premium user) is:

WAIT, WAIT, and WAIT until the v10 finally gets R E A D Y, at least with the legacy version's same functionalities! Very sad! What a shame!!!!

• Like 1
UI FEEDBACK
  • Not a fan of List View font getting bigger. This makes List View less dense. For example, you see less of the note title in the same amount of horizontal space. (I can live with it though, sigh.)
BUGS
  • Search suggestions don't automatically disappear after pressing enter. If I press enter, it means I'm done typing my search terms and only want to see the results. I don't want to continue to see search suggestions. 
  • I use List view, and when I click a note shortcut in the sidebar, list view disappears and all I see is the opened note. (Perhaps not that big of a deal.)
EVERNOTE MAC FEATURES I MISS
  • "Cmd + R" shortcut to reset search (aka clear all search filters) (It's a pain to have to manually click "clear filters" every time I start a new search)
  • More/better text color options
  • "Cmd + Shift + V" to paste plain text
  • Simplify formatting 
  • Touch bar integration
  • Dark mode app with light mode notes in light mode (Hopefully this option will return when Preferences are reinstated.)
  • Local notes for privacy :(
I've already upvoted feature request threads for tabs and custom fonts.

Thanks to this thread, I've learned that command+click will open an internal note link in a new window! Thank goodness. I also learned that the CEO of Evernote doesn't use tags and prefers notebooks. I'm kinda gobsmacked that a person like that (i.e. doesn't use Evernote) is running Evernote!

I'm heavily dependent on Evernote, and when I switched from Windows to Mac, I was shocked by the differences in Evernote Windows and Evernote Mac. Evernote Mac seemed like the red-headed stepchild bc of slow updates, bugs, and lack of features compared to Evernote Windows. Eventually, I got used to Evernote Mac, but I was still happy to hear Evernote was going to try to unify cross-platform experiences. I've used Evernote long enough to see some of my most annoying bugs get fixed (though not all..), so hopefully Evernote 10 improves quickly. I've noticed a few pros to Evernote 10. For now, I will stick with Legacy Evernote, but I noticed I'm less annoyed by Evernote 10 than I was yesterday, which means I'm slowly getting used to it.
  • Like 3
On 10/13/2020 at 1:35 AM, Burstl said:

I am very dissapointed with the new Evernote. Essentially almost all customisation options have been taken away. I will address a few points that I immediately recognised.

• Preferences are gone. This is embarrassing for a new release to be honest. Before it was possible to choose dark mode but leave the notes in light mode. Please include that option again.

+1 vote for that option being essential

A nice email came to me, prompting upgrade, so I "Upgraded" to 10.3.7 yesterday. AURRGH!!! Appearance (font size/style) of all my notes has changed. Assuming the default font has changed.

So, I can either spend hours re-formatting my library of documents, or try to download the version I had before, and hope the file/DB format hasn't changed?

...and after looking for download links for old 10.blah versions, there are none. Sigh.

(download "Evernote Legacy.app" but it needs a newer MacOS! See attached)

Time Machine backup.

Don't think I can in good conscience recommend Evernote to my friends any more 😞

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 9.17.27 am.jpg

Edited by Nigel Pearson
Added screenshot & explaination

Hi,

I have a premium account for evernote, and I just updated to the new version. There are too many features that you guys have removed in the new version, and I don't see anything at all that you added! I would like to revert to the older version, as this one is a lot less than I payed for.

For example, no more local notebooks and no option to open a new tab anymore and it's now harder to go between notebooks? And the advertisement for the new version is saying something about a new "New Note" button, like what is even the difference from the old one?

Thanks

The body of commentary against new the Evernote for Mac and IOS (never mind Windows and Android) has to be taken seriously.

Are you doing that? It is not OK to respond to this or that technical fix as if everything else is fine or to treat paying users as if they don't matter.

You need to reclaim 7.14. That means acknowledging it as an equal alternative to 10 for those users who depend on it.

Re-take ownership. Don't bury it in a discussion group as a link for a few people to follow so that they can run it in parallel with 10. You need to spell out, to your paying customers:

"We are undertaking a major revision of Evernote in order to make innovation easier and faster and to create greater compatibility across the platforms served by the world's greatest information and workflow mangement app. We recognise that, for a period, some users will depend on features and workflows only available in previous versions.

"Therefore, for a minimum of 3 years, Evernote Classic 7.14 and New Evernote 10.x will be available in parallel."

There will be nothing ignominious in doing that.

This is a major transition: it is absurd to rush it as you appear to be doing. Did some people financing you tell you: we need to get this done before the end of 2020? If they did, they are in danger of losing their money.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
41 minutes ago, davidtderrick said:

You need to reclaim 7.14.

Not sure what this means.   
I moved your post to the Mac forum, and merged with an ongoing discussion

Mac version 7.14 exists and can be installed    
Evernote has issued the Legacy product (7.14.1) for those unhappy with the Version 10 product

Hi Evernote team! I imagine you're under a lot of stress right now getting this release out and taking all this challenging feedback. Sending y'all a big hug. Evernote has earned enough goodwill from me over the years that I'm willing to endure a bumpy path for a bit.

I wanted to weigh in here: I think the single biggest thing I love above evernote that has made me such a diehard fan is that I can load evernote VERY fast and create a new note VERY fast. It's incredibly responsive. It's the reason I use evernote rather than a google doc for most things. Because google docs takes forever to load. But evernote comes up instantly.

The new system is very slow-loading. If there was one request I could make of the dev team, it would be to prioritize a fast-loading UI and fast-loading new note creation. That's the one use case that will make the difference between me staying on the legacy app and switching to the new one.

I actually don't mind that it's missing features. I don't mind that I can't do as many things. I don't mind that some features are weird (like search). Speed is all that matters to me. I hope there's a way to accomplish that given the new HTML/Javascript platform you moved to.

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, Greg Stutz said:

Get your notes out of Evernote now ... exporting notes has been made more difficult 

I'm using export with the Legacy product on my Mac
No problem exporting notes - daily incremental and weekly full backups
No issues with the software

The Version 8 also supports export by notebook613741012_ScreenShot2020-11-15at12_59_26PM.png.3081e8104b7c2ea2c8e9b393159e0f37.png

Adding my critique of the new (desktop) version of Evernote:

1. The new version doesn’t allow you to play in-note audio files, which you could do before. Now you have to either download the audio file or open it in iTunes (on a Mac)—why did they take this feature away?? It was so nice being able to open those audio files within the app.
  2. The search bar is now on the left side, whereas it used to be right above the notes—which was a much more convenient location.
  3. Most of the useful buttons (e.g. bullets, alignment) are no longer directly accessible in the toolbar and have to be found somewhere under the “more” drop-down menu. I don't mind if the toolbar is two rows instead of one—I would much rather have that than the "more" drop-down menu.
  4. I loved having Helvetica Neue as the default. It was nice having infinite other font options, too.The handful of new “normal text” etc. fonts can stay—just don’t take away the other fonts, which people liked in the first place.
  • Like 1

Thank you thank you for posting this, especially the link about going back a version. Of all the UI changes I see as a developer, this one was completely not thought out, but that is always what happens when trying to grow beyond what your bread and butter is. I think I have 1400+ notes now, all because of simplicity. Yeah some of the other stuff like HTML inserts and images and such became a pain (constantly having to do <command> + <shift> + V now to do a 'not formatted' post in my note without messing up the text - plz tell me there's a better way of doing this..) but the easy to access list of notes + my unencumbered screen to enter notes was pristine. 

Seriously yay for the grey & white elephant. Will be removing the green & white from my taskbar. Feels like the Windows 98 experience (or for newer techies Windows 7). Here ppls, you said you wanted Vista....

Edited by patmanami
I think the word '*****' might have gotten asterisked out...
  • Like 1

Why on earth have they disabled "Simplify Formatting"?  The web clipper has always made something of a hash of recipes, which is in part down to the Pinterest-ization of recipe blogs and the bloated narratives people feel the need to add to cultivate "relatability," but is also the fault of the clipper for not handling the translation into plain text well.  "Simplify formatting" is essential to be able to read the recipe and not have to manually strip out all the little boxes and doodles and fillips strewn everywhere.  It's bad enough that I no longer have the option to have my list of other notes in the notebook across the top, but now I can't even make the note readable?  

• Level 5*

Hi.  A lot of features are temporarily stripped out in the new version. If your issue relates to one of these you can get it back by going 'legacy*',  but many are -at least temporarily- unavailable in the new app.  We don't yet know what's coming back,  or in what timescale or order.  Sorry.

*See: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

BOO Evernote Developers. What on earth was your reason for removing the recorder from it's super convenient location?

Bring the recorder back.  Bring it back, bring it back. Bring it back........... This new version sucks! I'm a premium user and I loved Evernote BECAUSE of the audio record function. Now it's lame. 

• Level 5*
55 minutes ago, Zelda Sheldon said:

BOO Evernote Developers. What on earth was your reason for removing the recorder from it's super convenient location?

Bring the recorder back.  Bring it back, bring it back. Bring it back........... This new version sucks! I'm a premium user and I loved Evernote BECAUSE of the audio record function. Now it's lame. 

Hi.  Did you get the word 'temporarily' in my previous post?  Also see: 'Legacy'.

• Like 1

What the Heck are you guys thinking?  Why would you release this version?  Its totally useless!  Put more time into fixing this instead of making fancy videos showing how great this crappy version really is.

No screen capture - which I use all the time.

Evernote scanner is broken

Half the shortcut keys are gone.  

Slow is molasses. 

Note's don't show up on the right pane when you click on them. 

Full of bugs.  Did you guys even beta test this?  I did it in 5 minutes and could tell you not to release this garbage.

This is total BS!  You made me waste a good morning uninstalling and putting the old version back.  Now I don't trust you guys anymore.

Very long time customer,

Andy

• Like 6

I really dislike the new version of EN. It's moved toward the web version...which I stayed away from. I wish I'd checked the forums before upgrading. I have a Premium membership, and would pay to be able to revert.

I just need to add that I will roll back to legacy and then prep for migration. After trusting this company so many years, i now need to move away. This is just an icredible ***** up and this once great piece of software has lost it’s way. It probably comes down to people and the culture changes in the organisation, nothing good about it anymore if you make these steps. Really disappointed.

• Like 6

For all those who keep suggesting reverting to the Legacy version of Evernote, with good intentions - you're forgetting that one of the main attractions of EN has always been its cross-platform sync abilities.  But the new iOS versions are atrocious. Terrible. Unusable.  But THERE IS NO LEGACY PATHWAY FOR iOS USERS...!

Evernote needs to pull the new versions from the App Store and work on them to get them actually ready for prime time.  And they need to replace the App Store versions with the previous versions that DID work nicely, including the Share Sheet clipper.

Come on Team Evernote - have mercy on all your long-time devoted users (most of whom have been paying customers, like me) and hoist the white flag on this disaster.

Take it back to the shed and work on it properly, while giving us back all the working versions on all platforms that we had before the version 10 débâcle.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Everybody can do his own evaluation.

My evaluation is that there is much to do on v10 iOS, but it is usable. Since 10.1 I had no real problems any more, it is just a lot of missing functions that slow things down. I want to mention the Apple Watch App, that was removed without a warning by v10 and took the ability to create notes in EN on the fly with it.

Since I do all massive operations like multi-note movements, tagging and other housekeeping on my Mac, the combination of IOS v10 with legacy on the Mac is up to my needs. I have not encountered problems with interchanging notes created or handled by the different versions. Working cross platforms still works, including EN on my PC that I still use from time to time. Can’t tell about Android.

Taking legacy out of the picture would drastically alter the situation. I upgraded my MacOS this week to BigSur - EN legacy is still doing fine. So that is it for now, on with survival mode. Next stop for an evaluation is some months down the road, when my current subscription ends.

• Like 1

Lucky that you're finding the iOS version 10 at least usable.

But on my iPad - and my wife's iPad, who only uses an iPad, not a computer at all - the iOS v10 is unusable.  One thing she does is clip recipes from numerous sources to Evernote.  But the Share Sheet clipper just doesn't work, it doesn't put a title in, and it completely screws up the harvesting of the various source sites due to all these newer scripted web pages with slide-overs, multiframe pages, and of course, the Pinterest pages.  I have to put up with her vitriol every time she tries to use Evernote, with which she has been very familiar for many years.  She has thousands of recipes stored in there, all nicely tagged and titled.  But now - it's useless.  Even searching for something sends her into a rant worthy of George Carlin...!  But without the laughs.

And for this, we're paying Premium subscriptions...!

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, NightStalker said:

For all those who keep suggesting reverting to the Legacy version of Evernote, with good intentions - you're forgetting that one of the main attractions of EN has always been its cross-platform sync abilities. 

The cross-platform data sync is working for me (Mac/IOS/Web)

There is a Legacy version product for Mac/Window users (there's also pre-version10 versions)

>>But the new iOS versions are  ...

Why are you posting this in the Mac forum?

I need the tabs back - floating note boxes is no replacement, it is anti-productivity. 

5 fonts?! are you kidding? 

I've been with Evernote since 2012, and after a few days of using the desktop 'new evernote for mac' I will be reinstalling the older version.

So annoyed at this waste of time!

• Like 5

I used the legacy version which I did a happy dance for. Now I'm annoyed cos it's reverted back the lame update version on my desktop without the audio recorder feature. Jeeze Louise, why did the programmers break what was working just fine. Bring the audio recording feature back on top with no second click needed. Stick it right there in my face so its super easy to get to. 

• Level 5

It is possible to install both versions side by side on desktops (Mac and PC). If it makes sense anybody has to see himself.

Installing both will create the same (but technically different) database of notes twice. If you have enough disk space, fine. If not,think about which client you really need. Having both can create problems with sharing information as well.

Personally I think that the legacy client is still a more complete and mature piece of software. So I decided for me to stick with it, following the development of the v10-client from the sidelines. Probably one day my workflows will be supported , and I can make the switch.

That legacy runs without a problem after I made the upgrade to MacOS Bigsur has just extended the lifespan of the legacy solution for at least another year. I think EN will be faster than that to roll out what is missing and needed.

• Level 5
10 hours ago, NightStalker said:

Lucky that you're finding the iOS version 10 at least usable.

But on my iPad - and my wife's iPad, who only uses an iPad, not a computer at all - the iOS v10 is unusable.  One thing she does is clip recipes from numerous sources to Evernote.  But the Share Sheet clipper just doesn't work, it doesn't put a title in, and it completely screws up the harvesting of the various source sites due to all these newer scripted web pages with slide-overs, multiframe pages, and of course, the Pinterest pages.  I have to put up with her vitriol every time she tries to use Evernote, with which she has been very familiar for many years.  She has thousands of recipes stored in there, all nicely tagged and titled.  But now - it's useless.  Even searching for something sends her into a rant worthy of George Carlin...!  But without the laughs.

And for this, we're paying Premium subscriptions...!

Collecting and sharing recipes is as well a major use of EN between my wife and me. She is more on the baking side, me more the cooking.

To be honest, grabbing stuff from web sites never has been a strong feature of EN on iOS. This is especially true for many food blogs, where today you find an amazing wealth of recipes. There was an iOS shortcut on the prior version of EN, that worked better than sharing a web site, but it still was a far cry from the web clipper on the desktops. The shortcut is gone with v10, and the clipping stays weak.

My workaround: First convert the web site to reading mode in Safari. Then call the share menu, print. When the document shows in print preview, (de)select pages, then pinch outwards with 2 fingers. This creates a pdf file. Now share the pdf to EN using the share option. This creates a new note with the pdf. The pdf usually is much cleaner than a direct clip of the web site, ads are suppressed and the layout is simplified.

What needs to be improved in v10 for this use case is 1) search of notes shared by another person must be possible again 2) search inside of notes and especially inside of attachments must work.

• Like 4

This fact that local notebooks has been removed is a ridiculous and infuriating decision that has caused me to move away from Evernote.

Evernote is holding my personal data hostage: If I want to use it in the future, I have to pay. I can only export my data in a proprietary format.

You might want to look at using Joplin, which was designed as an open-source Evernote alternative. I strongly recommend using Open Source software, as this avoids exactly what Evernote has just done. Thankfully, Joplin can import Evernote's enex format.

https://joplinapp.org

Evernote? More like Nevernote.

• Like 1

This is perhaps the worst software update ever.

What happened to EN? Do you have any idea how much you have been worked into our workflows? And you treat that as nothing. Arbitrary terrible changes, reductions in functionality. No heads up. Just everything you shouldn't do to customers.

Again, what happened? Heads need to roll. 

I went back to legacy and ALL OF MY NOTES NOW HAVE DEFAULT SEGOE 10 FORMAT. Are you kidding? I am visually impaired and have set larger fonts for MANY HUNDREDS OF NOTES. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
I agree! Removing the Tabs feature seems like an unforced error. I'm back on the Legacy version so I'm all good but I had to look into this and put my 2 cents in. Why would Evernote remove this feature? If you don't want to use Tabs, don't. But if you do, just make it available again.
I've been a regular, paid user for 8 years. Please, Evernote, bring it back.
Thank you
  • Like 1

I had to re-install the legacy version. The new version was so slow that it was unworkable. And all the other features that were stripped out - many were my go-tos. So, I bailed. 

I don't know if I am going to move to another application yet - I don't have the technical knowledge to be able to asses how difficult that will be! What a mess. I used to love Evernote. 

At some point, though, I will have to make that painful decision and move once I figure out how and what to move to. . 

For clarity, I pay for TWO Evernote Premium subscriptions in my house. For more years than I can remember I RELY on Evernote to be my digital archive of information. Accessible on all platforms, and AT LEAST providing information accessibility across all platforms. This latest release is a HUGE letdown and a SLAP IN THE FACE of paying customers. I don't know how Evernote lost it's way, but for the first time I'm actively investigating alternatives. I've started with Notion and will be researching whether it is MORE RELIABLE and MORE STABLE. I'm not naive enough to think that my one complaint or cancelling my two Premium subscriptions will make a difference, but from the other postings I just read I suspect I'm not alone.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, gdefenbaugh said:

This latest release is a HUGE letdown and a SLAP IN THE FACE

Your post has been merged with the ongoing discussion   
fwiw  Installing the Version 10 product is optional.    
         Many users are happily using the Legacy product

On 11/10/2020 at 4:46 PM, rts said:

No, that's not what was stated at all. There's no statement the Legacy app will be supported, merely a commitment to making it available. And for how long?

Exactly.  This fits in very well with:

I'm old enough to remember when release notes documented changes in a product released to customers, not promotional statements about changes coming Real Soon Now.

Me, too, and I'm just disgusted.  It all speaks to a fundamental shift in software away from relative transparency and honesty in selling a product to people who might find it useful towards gulling the as many people as possible into a cycle of perpetual payment for whatever the company feels like providing at any given time.  There's no more sense of any contract to deliver on.

There are hundreds (thousands?) of posts all over these forums from people who dislike the new version, ranging from "Meh, not very good" to "You've trashed decades of work and the attendant trust in you".  Given that, Evernote should provide users two things.  First, a provisional timeline for feature parity, ideally enumerating exactly which features they plan to restore.  Second, as you point out, a commitment to support Legacy for a certain period, and statement that such support will be extended if specific benchmarks aren't met by the new product by that date.  If they genuinely think "there's little risk in introducing a new bug that would potentially block you from using the legacy version" that shouldn't be a difficult commitment to make.

I'd be much more forgiving of a deadline slipping for X feature implementation than I am of "You'll get some things when we get around to them, if we get around to it, which we'll let you know when we do.  Have fun guessing which features we even plan on bringing back."

Legacy should never have been "Legacy".  It should have remained the standard, while adventurous users should have been offered the exciting opportunity to help Evernote blaze the trail forward until they've got something worthy of replacing the current standard.

• Like 7

It is a real shame.  I put the small company I work for on the business version as note taking and sharing was so easy.  I also put all my personal admin on the paid version despite having onenote.  Today I asked IT to migrate everyone on to Onenote by end of January and have transferred everything personal to Onenote in prep for cancelling my subscription.

With all the changes (a) you cannot scroll through pdfs but have to click slowing everything down (b) moving notes etc always seems to require some extra step (c) requiring separate logins for work and personal spaces in the work account is annoying (d) shifting between notebooks is a drag (e) workspaces might be clever but I do not have time to work out what is shared and how (f) you cannot email a note to someone without an evernote account so have to pdf save and send (without including attachments).

I am sure the intentions are good, and doubtless there were reasons for all the changes, but all the clever stuff has displaced the ability to take and share notes easily and the intuitiveness that underpinned Evernote's success.  The lesson of software and IT success is to make it as easy as possible otherwise people just move on....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
On 11/23/2020 at 6:55 PM, Enteecee said:

There are hundreds (thousands?) of posts all over these forums from people who dislike the new version, ranging from "Meh, not very good" to "You've trashed decades of work and the attendant trust in you".  Given that, Evernote should provide users two things.  First, a provisional timeline for feature parity, ideally enumerating exactly which features they plan to restore.  Second, as you point out, a commitment to support Legacy for a certain period, and statement that such support will be extended if specific benchmarks aren't met by the new product by that date.  If they genuinely think "there's little risk in introducing a new bug that would potentially block you from using the legacy version" that shouldn't be a difficult commitment to make.

. . .

Legacy should never have been "Legacy".  It should have remained the standard, while adventurous users should have been offered the exciting opportunity to help Evernote blaze the trail forward until they've got something worthy of replacing the current standard.

Exactly. The approach should have been to make the new version available, but not force everyone onto it. The current properly functional application should be maintained while they continue to improve the new-and-improved modern shared code base (etc. etc.) version separately. I understand where they're coming from, they want to simplify, reuse code, organize, modernize and try to future-proof their products, and where they're going with the new version is probably on the right path. However, to suddenly force (or at least mislead) everyone to upgrade (downgrade?) without warning, and to leave them no other option than to install a "legacy" version of the application, this is not the way to retain a loyal customers. If I were to suddenly force all of my users to start using vastly different version of a major production enterprise application, with performance problems (delays and freezing) and a lack of equivalent features, they would be making such noise that I would probably be left having to look for another job. And that's just one guy supporting code in one business. I can't imagine how all of the leadership at Evernote concluded that pushing out this new version the way that it was pushed out was the way to go, impacting hundreds of thousands if not millions of users, all nearly simultaneously. They should have taken a phased approach over six to nine months (maybe longer given their larger user base), requested feedback from those users, go back to fix, iterate over and over, re-release, and slowly expand the deployment audience. And even with a phased approach with smaller user counts at first, it still should have been optional. I get that it is absolutely impractical to pay for extra coders to continue simultaneously support both the older version and the newer version, and that unification and simplification is the smartest and most economical way forward for the business on the surface, but it should have been handled differently.

• Like 5

There should be support to sync legacy until they can get the new version to a reasonable level of speed and function. The current version is like coming outside in the morning to a car with flats, no steering wheel, a broken dashboard. Legacy is just an unsupported loaner car that won’t drive side by side well with the new iOS version.

• Like 6

On 11/21/2020 at 10:33 PM, BReb said:

This is perhaps the worst software update ever.

What happened to EN? Do you have any idea how much you have been worked into our workflows? And you treat that as nothing. Arbitrary terrible changes, reductions in functionality. No heads up. Just everything you shouldn't do to customers.

Again, what happened? Heads need to roll. 

I went back to legacy and ALL OF MY NOTES NOW HAVE DEFAULT SEGOE 10 FORMAT. Are you kidding? I am visually impaired and have set larger fonts for MANY HUNDREDS OF NOTES. 

I think this happens when new whiz-bang product engineers float a product that's wayyyy off with actual improvements.

Not sure how they sold this version to the guys running this once-great-app but they have for sure ****** up BIG time with this version. 

And the mere fact that this version causes Windows to first run slow and then almost crash is just an icing on the rotten cake they have dished out to their millions of users. 

So disappointed. 

• Like 2

I'm assuming that it's some middle manager with a little bit of power (we've all experienced that guy, right?) and he's managed to completely break the main product of the company.. But.. "it's OK because I know better! And the users will come around when they see my genius.."

No. Andy! (or whatever your name is, but it's probably Andy) you've just broken the big, cash cow product of the company and alienated a lot of users who are very passionate about the product and are now very vocal about that.

And ultimately it doesn't matter what "the suits" do now, your "passionate and newly vocal users" are looking at alternative solutions at competing companies that produce a great product and they don't have an "Andy" working for them. (well hopefully they don't have an Andy)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I'm a long long term Evernote user.  This upgrade -- and what we've learned about the company from the way it has handled this forced upgrade -- has caused me to revisit my goal of finding an alternative.  Have spent an hour on Devonthink this morning, import was simple, it feels feature complete so far.  And it lets you encrypt your database -- which is the #1 reason I have been meaning to get out of Evernote for a while.

Anyone here know why we haven't all already switched to Devonthink?  If you're an Apple only user... what am I giving up by moving from Evernote to Devonthink?

• Like 4
42 minutes ago, ek12 said:

I'm a long long term Evernote user.  This upgrade -- and what we've learned about the company from the way it has handled this forced upgrade -- has caused me to revisit my goal of finding an alternative.  Have spent an hour on Devonthink this morning, import was simple, it feels feature complete so far.  And it lets you encrypt your database -- which is the #1 reason I have been meaning to get out of Evernote for a while.

Anyone here know why we haven't all already switched to Devonthink?  If you're an Apple only user... what am I giving up by moving from Evernote to Devonthink?

Many of us here aren't Apple aficionados. We think Apple is OK, mostly, but not for us. 

1 hour ago, stur said:

Many of us here aren't Apple aficionados. We think Apple is OK, mostly, but not for us. 

right, understood.  and also, many of us are exclusively in Apple.

for those of us who are, is anyone aware of a compelling reason to stay with Evernote vs Devonthink?  I'm still doing my own research and haven't found many yet, but I'm sure I'm missing some or we (Apple-only Evernote users) would all already be gone.

So far, I've found only one material issue: The import from Evernote of notes with embedded PDFs appears to split the note into a container note, with two sub-notes (the text and the PDF).  That messes with my archive . not sure if there's a way to change that or not, I'm still investigating.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
14 hours ago, ek12 said:

is anyone aware of a compelling reason to stay with Evernote vs Devonthink?

Same advice with any product; make sure your data isn't locked  in
Evernote makes it easy to export my notes intact - I've tested  it with my data backups

• Like 1

How do you unlock data? When I installed latest version of Evernote, all but the few pieces of data I entered  when I first used Evernote ten year’s ago, disappeared. I had at least fifty notebooks and hundreds of notes which I cannot find. When I sign into Evernote.com, my account says it was started 11/20....this month! I submitted a number of requests for support more than two weeks ago about this issue, with no reply. Any wisdom to share?

7 hours ago, DTLow said:

Same advice with any product; make sure your data isn't locked  in
Evernote makes it easy to export my notes intact - I've tested  it

devonthink simply exports all the files with their folder (notebook) structure intact into the apple file system with tags turning into mac os tags if need be.

@ek12 the only two constraints I found during my migration to devonthink a few weeks back were 1) apple only, but you found that already..:-)...& 2) sharing notes / documents is more cumbersome in devonthink compared to EN, sharing with windows / android in fact *very* cumbersome. as I simply decided to do the limited sharing I do via tresorit / google drive, that turned out to be a non-issue for me. otherwise the only thing I regret is not having migrated to devonthink earlier - it is so much more powerful and versatile...

• Like 1

I've moved to Joplin Notes (https://joplinapp.org/). It has a good import from ENEX. Open source, free, active community.

Main reason for me was not trusting an external service (perhaps especially Evernote) with my data.

With Joplin you can decide where to store your notes DB, cloud and/or local. Encrypted and end-to-end.

Works on Windows, IOS, Android. No web interface since there is no server.

I don't know why some companies decide to shoot themselves in the proverbial foot (or other body part). EN apparently did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, toao said:

devonthink simply exports all the files with their folder (notebook) structure intact into the apple file system with tags turning into mac os tags if need be.

@ek12 the the only thing I regret is not having migrated to devonthink earlier - it is so much more powerful and versatile...

DEVONthink has many more limitations if you look to mobile devices, the mobile app is very, very limited. No saved searches, no reminders, no automation, no sort option for search results, no Tag filter, no text editor* - the only good thing is PDF annotation, additional 3rd party in-app purchase needed.

I do like DT on Mac as a file storage solution, but since I do a lot of writing notes incl. checklists and  I‘m working a lot on iPad Evernote is much better for this scenario.

*there is a somehow iOS based RTF text editor, NOT compatible to MacOS - you‘ll loose your formatting, sooner or later, no checkboxes, no inline images - forget about it

• Like 2
20 hours ago, ek12 said:

right, understood.  and also, many of us are exclusively in Apple.

for those of us who are, is anyone aware of a compelling reason to stay with Evernote vs Devonthink?  I'm still doing my own research and haven't found many yet, but I'm sure I'm missing some or we (Apple-only Evernote users) would all already be gone.

So far, I've found only one material issue: The import from Evernote of notes with embedded PDFs appears to split the note into a container note, with two sub-notes (the text and the PDF).  That messes with my archive . not sure if there's a way to change that or not, I'm still investigating.

DT doesn‘t provide any container, it is just storing files - you can use a group (folder) to combine your files. RTF text notes can hold inline images, but those aren‘t editable on the iOS version of DT.

DT is completely different to Evernote - you can use both for many things, but need completely different workflows. And more 3rd party apps because DT is a file storage system, nbut not a file creation (notes) system.

• Level 5

What makes DEVONthink stand out - together with Apple Notes - is the ability to save content completely local. For those who care about this there are not that many options with local storage. On both services you can decide to go cloud. With Apple Notes it is iCloud only, DT offers some choice of cloud services.

Both are well established, and both are Mac & iOS only. DT is more a document manager, AN a note taking tool.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
23 hours ago, ek12 said:

The import from Evernote of notes with embedded PDFs appears to split the note into a container note, with two sub-notes (the text and the PDF).

This is my view of notes in Evernote
        - "Containers" with a text-file (enml/html)
                                  and optional attachment-files
        - Metadata is stored in a database and attached to the "container"
This is actually reflected in the Mac Legacy local database - a folder for each note

Legacy HTML export creates the text file (html); the note-folder is only created if there's attachments

I hate the new Evernote! Can you please go back to the awesome old version. I have used it for years and love it but this week I lost important notes using the new app. I am sad. No more “edit” button! No more “green checkmark!” Boo!

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

What makes DEVONthink stand out - together with Apple Notes - is the ability to save content completely local. For those who care about this there are not that many options with local storage. On both services you can decide to go cloud. With Apple Notes it is iCloud only, DT offers some choice of cloud services.

Both are well established, and both are Mac & iOS only.

When 25guy created his long list of Evernote alternatives DEVONthink was at the top of the list as the only criteria he found lacking of 12 was cross-platform support. The three programs tied for second place were EN Legacy edition, Joplin, and Keep It (another Mac & iOS exclusive). I have a growing fear that EN's future development will force me to rethink my workflow -- and possibly split my migration efforts into multiple applications.

• Like 1
On 11/26/2020 at 9:29 PM, ripwit said:

I've moved to Joplin Notes (https://joplinapp.org/). It has a good import from ENEX. Open source, free, active community.

I currently use both Evernote and Joplin in parallel, I hope to resolve following issues of the latter:

- no tag hierarchy (only one level of tags, no nesting)

- ONLY lowercase tags (github-stile)

- workbook hierarchy in Joplin DOESN'T combine notes from sub-workbooks.

There are serveral suprprises in Joplin for people that use serveral tags in their workflow. But as sideeffect of very very bad Evernote v10 I noticed HUGE speedup in Joplin development.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Get yourself one of these lightning fast new M1 Macs and go ahead 👍

I already have Android, Linux, and Windows machines in my life so I'm somewhat skeptical of adding Mac/iOS devices to the mix to simplify my life. However my Ryzen desktop machine has more cores than I normally use and plenty of RAM, so perhaps a Mac VM? No, that way lies madness.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Piotas said:

I currently use both Evernote and Joplin in parallel, I hope to resolve following issues of the latter: ...

@Piotas curious what made you choose Joplin over Devonthink?  In my testing it looks like Devonthink handles those 3 Joplin objections.  

I have the latest and greatest version of Evernote and it is functionally broken. It will NOT save any data entered (whether new or updated). Evernote has been my go-to app for daily note taking, etc. -- but this is intolerable. This has been going on for several weeks. I have paid for an upgraded version of Evernote but I will have to look for another note taking app if this continues. What a shame!

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, ajbarr said:

I have the latest and greatest version of Evernote and it is functionally broken.

Are you sure you want to use "the latest version of Evernote" (Version 10)   
It's a work-in-progress and imho not ready for general use

You might be happier using the Legacy product

Just adding my voice to complaint stream. I am slowly writing up a feedback to Evernote, but wanted to make a note that am not happy at all with the new release. The only serious thing I was missing in old Windows app was dark mode. It got added in new version, but it it slow, bunch of poor design choices, broken in many way (search) and missing many essential features like hotkeys that were present before. Frankly it sucks. I just installed legacy and will be using that.

Just to add my 2 cents: I am  evernote user on Mac, and ipad for over 10 years, I am so upset with latest release. The interface is not intuitive, it's slow and cumbersome,  notes open in read only mode, I'm always clicking and searching for things I used to do normally. If anyone knows how to rollback, please comment. 

Michele

Hi all!
I'm upset with the last update to Evernote for Mac.
I have many notes with text and images I need to copy and paste into my mail program.
Before everything worked perfectly, now instead of the images in my email I get only a question mark.
How to fix?

I'm about to go back to the legacy version but I'm terrified about how much data I'm going to lose. I didn't realize they were doing a MAJOR overhaul of the entire system or I would have never agreed.

I'm going to save all my data but I won't know for a long time how much data was lost .... a tag here, a date there, a link missing.... for months. By then, I won't be able to revert back to an older version to recover the data because I will have added more data. 

I only realized today when my internet was down that I have no access to my notes without a GOOD connection.

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, SparksinTexas said:

I'm terrified about how much data I'm going to lose.

What makes you think you're going to lose data?    
I haven't a problem with Evernote losing data, but I always back up my data; daily incremental and weekly full

>>I have no access to my notes without a GOOD connection

Both Legacy and Version 10 support offline access to our data