Hate the new Evernote

12 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Now that is clever marketing - just name a single new function of v10 that will convert non-users into users, and freemium users into paying customers ?!

I don't think it is a new feature - it is a new foundation.  The Evernote Team internally seems to call v10 "the starting line" as I suspected.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, DTLow said:

Right; if we include dormant accounts it turns out a small % is using any of the features  🙂

This is a good point. If we are quoting % usage it depends on the denominator. 2% of what? Any free software has an enormous number of dead or dormant accounts - people forget their password or simply move on. The % of paying customers might be another good measure as this would relate the impact to revenues. If they stop paying there is less revenue. Another is to weight the users depending on how long they have been a paying customer, or the number of notes a user has, or the changes per day (which is an indication of activity). The percentage depends on how it is measured. There is little transparency with such general statements.  

The disregard for the workflow of heavy users would indicate that perhaps, after a decade using the software, it is time to consider other options of which there are many. Evernote may have chosen a different path which as a private company it is entitled. We are entitled to shop elsewhere. The data can still be exported. 

Options are discussed at "Tom's Paperless Toolkit" creating a productivity environment suitable for professional work, teams and small business. I am sure there are other websites too. Evernote people are good at research. It is time we did a little and moved our workflows to something fitting 2020. 

https://www.paperlessmovement.com/toms-software/

It may be ironic that with the suggestion made from "Tom's Paperless Toolkit" that we move back to the situation where multiple UIs are depending on the app. Each UI needs to be learned. There is a different app for note-taking, document management, time management (task, calendar), email, project management, and visualisations. Evernote note was trying to move away from a different UI and features for each device. In doing so, power users now need to use many different apps in combination (integrations) to achieve the same functionality. We are then back to working with many UI. This is the complexity that Evernote promised to abolish. 🙂

Kubla Khan was a dream, a fantasy - it does not exist. Perhaps Evernote 10 ambitions are just as hopeless. 

"In Xanadu did Kubla Khan

A stately pleasure-dome decree:

Where Alph, the sacred river, ran

Through caverns measureless to man

Down to a sunless sea.

So twice five miles of fertile ground

With walls and towers were girdled round;

And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,

Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;

And here were forests ancient as the hills,

Enfolding sunny spots of greenery."

Kubla Khan, BY SAMUEL TAYLOR COLERIDGE

• Like 3
  • Level 5
10 hours ago, xmasmoneky said:

I don't think it is a new feature - it is a new foundation.  The Evernote Team internally seems to call v10 "the starting line" as I suspected.

Thanks for sharing the link.

The design is not the issue, it is a lack of several important functions, plus crawling bugs all over. If 12 month is the goal to get the clients back to full functionality (and quality ?), we will see how far the customer (= paying user) base erodes until then. And „full“ does not mean everything, as we learned before.

As long as „legacy“ continues to work, I can sit it out ...

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

As long as „legacy“ continues to work, I can sit it out ...

not quite for me as it is unclear how long the fully featured apps (I somehow refuse to call them "legacy"..:-)...) will continue to work. initial indication was not for long...I have exported all my notes and am actively looking for a replacement. once I am happy with one (Devonthink being increasingly likely) I will move and not look back. if that is a wider trend as I suspect it will hurt EN quite a bit. too bad there is no better communication from them on what to expect coming back/up...

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The design is not the issue, it is a lack of several important functions, plus crawling bugs all over. If 12 month is the goal to get the clients back to full functionality (and quality ?), we will see how far the customer (= paying user) base erodes until then. And „full“ does not mean everything, as we learned before.

I think of it a little differently. I think the clients are going to start to further diverge very soon (it's already happened to an extent with e.g. the new editor). Evernote has spent the last 24 months rebuilding the core functionality of their apps. They have indicated that some features available in the legacy client are coming, e.g. 

• App preferences
  • Export options other than ENEX
  • Evernote Helper
  • Audio note recording and playback
  • Quick switcher (Cmd+J)
  • Published notebooks (Evernote Business)

Some polishing, sanding, and bug-squashing of existing features will hopefully also occur in parallel. Beyond that, we shouldn't count on them adding back any more existing features (although I'm sure there's a chance some will be added over time).

However, the CEO has said repeatedly that they plan to have feature releases (my term) approximately every 3 months over the next year. They are moving from a philosophy of "remember everything" to "remember everything and accomplish anything." Having watched several interviews with the CEO and reading between the lines a bit, my guess is the first feature release will be focused on task management.

Subsequent feature releases may offer some cool features which are getting a lot of buzz in competing apps, such as back-links, deep-links (link directly to a header within a note), outlining (collapse text under headers), perform actions in-line while typing with autocomplete (i.e. type #food in the note to automatically add a food tag, type #co to be presented with a drop-down list of tags that match such as "cooking" and "colorado"), and so on.

So, if Evernote is able to deliver, roughly three months from now, the apps will diverge further, with the new apps gaining new functionality. In six months they will diverge even more. In twelve months the apps may be dramatically different. The legacy clients will certainly still have a few features which don't exist in the new clients, but the new clients should have a number of new capabilities that can only be accessed from the new clients (or the web).

Only time will tell whether they are able to deliver and whether the new features will make up for the missing features.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Paul A. said:

Having watched several interviews with the CEO and reading between the lines a bit, my guess is the first feature release will be focused on task management.

I would find improvement in task management helpful.  My guess though, considering the changes to their syncing, is simultaneous editing of shared notes.  I'm not interested in that, but that one looks likely to me.  Maybe we should start a betting pool?

23 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

My guess though, considering the changes to their syncing, is simultaneous editing of shared notes.  I'm not interested in that, but that one looks likely to me.

That is what I would bet on too. Fast-syncing from all plattforms to web-server would open a door to the Evernote-world for nearly real-time collaboration.
Real-time collaboration may not be on the top-wish-list of the actial power-users (even not on my list), but it could gain a new and growing market of paying future power-users...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

I would find improvement in task management helpful.  My guess though, considering the changes to their syncing, is simultaneous editing of shared notes.  I'm not interested in that, but that one looks likely to me.  Maybe we should start a betting pool?

Realtime collaboration is a good guess. I'm sure that's on the list.

A betting pool sounds like a great way to distract us all from the limitations of the current edition of the app. :) 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Paul A. said:

way to distract us all from the limitations of the current edition of the app

I think there is no to realistic way to distract us and the alltime everywhere rants in the power user group . But this won‘t change anything anyway. EN will go its way, may this be our way or not.

There will probably be very serious decision regarding with with the „EN“ board mentioned by Ian Small. We shouldn‘t forget that EN isn‘t a non profit organization nor the Salvation Army. EN is in majority in the hands of venture capital firms. These firms have been financing EN and waiting patiently for years for success and profit.

The decision to hire Ian Small and to build the system completely new from the ground will have been settled in this board. This may have included the option to cut down non profitable branches and not widely used functions.

But hope dies last. I hope for solutions for the biggest actual issues, for reimplementing of features and last but not least for new game changing (power user) functions...

• Like 2

Have to say, I was shocked to get a Win desktop client that is so lacking the old features when I installed it on my new laptop.  If this is the direction that Evernote is going, I may be having to find an alternative.  NOT HAPPY. I'm going back to an older version for now. 

• Like 2

never thought I would, but I have just cancelled my premium subscription of my beloved evernote. what a sad day. considering the lack of feedback from the company on roadmap, on which of the plentiful axed features they plan to re-introduce, the unclear timeline of when the fully featured "legacy" apps will stop working ("...only temporarily available while we work to bring a few of the legacy features to our new apps." (my highlighting of the official wording)) and the complete breakdown of my workflows in V10, I do not see a way forward with a company neglecting users and use cases as much as evernote currently does.

considering the content of the crisis PR interviews by Ian the message of frustration has not been heard clearly enough by the evernote team, so all there is left for me to do is to vote with my feet and leave. this is the only message they have to listen to, as ultimately it pays their salaries and if a substantial number of paying customers cancel they might react after all. should things improve dramatically I might come back, but I am not counting on it. Devonthink here I come...

thank you very much for the past ten years - it was fabulous while it lasted...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Mac Desktop App - Evernote 10.1.7 - Build 1902 - what a setback -- UPDATE w. down grade info below

Feels really poor compared to past releases - and I've been a loyal advocate with 18.000+ notes and 10+ years

Big misses

Inconvenient
  • Very slow and memory consuming - in everything
  • Internal links requires 2 extra click to open
  • Tags at note's bottom
  • Creates multiple untitled copies
  • Can't see own account status 

Lost in migration
  • No indentation shortcut
  • Lost captured images from old Evernote

UPDATE - roughly 24 hours later. 
Shane D. kindly replied and offered way to downgrade.
I have done so, and it apparently works, allowing old and new version to co-exists on same notes db.
- a good solution that allows me to continue while the feature-set of the new version is brought up to par.

Edited by URamsing
Kind help from Evernote's Shane D.
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, URamsing said:

Tags at note's bottom

Dear URamsing, I agree with all this, there was just one item I wanted to talk about at the moment though, Tags at note's bottom.

I agree, it's illogical to move them down the bottom, I remember Ian Small saying it was moved down, demoted because, (with a big smile on his face) less than 2% of our users use tags ! wow, that's hard to believe isn't it, I would have thought out of their paying customer base that one of the things I would have paid for "and used" were tags, cause they are great!.

Ian then talked about user interface consistency, and how they should all be similar, iOS, Android, Mac, PC Etc. Well on the iOS Evernote 10 the tags are edited at the top so what's that all about Ian? They sit at the top of the screen! did you forget and there's even less screen real-estate on a phone which was the second reason he gave for moving them down, wasted space where they were at the top. I don't think that is accurate, is my politicians reply to that.

Go to: 33:00 approx to hear the explanation from the man himself.  Quote Ian Small: "The issue is that tag users are less than 2% of our audience". I would say yes, that is an issue, an issue of you not getting over either the importance or their ease of use. So instead of addressing that, move them out of the way, that makes complete sense. Not.

You know I'm more worried about the fact that Ian Small doesn't appear to use, or understand the importance of tags himself than the fact that they've moved down the screen. Just as long as they don't move off the screen, I'll be happy.

Me: I don't think Ian Small uses tags, go on, I dare you, someone, ask him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Level 5*

On that 2% thing...  I'd love to know how precisely the stats they have were obtained,  because there's always that "lies,  darned lies,  and (misinterpreted) statistics" thing. 

I used to work in Insurance as an Underwriter (like Xena,  I have many talents) - one of the guys who guess how likely it is that something bad is likely to happen. 

We used to have conversations about costs and numbers that would bore drying paint.  And the thing is:  a lot of people sometimes get their sums very wrong.

Evernote forinstance has (say) 250 MILLION users.  If only 2% of them use tags,  that's still 5 million users.  Or maybe we took a measure of users who've regularly accessed the account - say 10% of the total - and it's 2% of them who use tags.  OK,  we're now down to 500,000 users - but I'd bet a larger than normal proportion of them are also subscribers.

Annoying a large number of (currently) paying users is not good business practice.

The fact that Evernote has such a large group of users from around the world means their stats are full of 'random noise' - tens of millions of random 'domestic' users opening the app,  adding a few notes,  and accessing some arbitrary features. 

Alongside that are hundreds of thousands of 'serious' users who have person- or business-critical workflows and who use their 5% of the features intensively.

The serious users' activities would get drowned out by the domestic ones and appear to be only a small factor;  but those are the users - including many of the contributors here - who pay the bills. 

Just sayin'.  🤔

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, MrIllustrator said:

You're absolutely right. In a recent interview (maybe even the same one?) he admits (somewhat reluctantly, it seemed to me) that he prefers filing into notebooks. Lots and lots of notebooks. He said he occasionally uses tags for something important which needs to live across multiple notebooks, but otherwise he's all about filing and not using tags.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Good tip !

If you are happy with notebooks only, you can skip EN altogether, and save a ton of money.

Just put your documents in good old folders, if you need them on several devices in OneDrive or iCloud, and you are done. Search is pretty good these days, on Macs anyhow with Spotlight, but on Windows as well with Cortana (or Windows search). Or get yourself a NAS, my Synology has UniversalSearch to index all and everything you file away on it. None of them have a well designed tagging system ...

A little bit weird to learn this from the CEO of a company that makes its living from offering a superior alternative, but weirdo things seems to become the standard more than the exception these days. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, MrIllustrator said:

Dear URamsing, I agree with all this, there was just one item I wanted to talk about at the moment though, Tags at note's bottom.

I agree, it's illogical to move them down the bottom, I remember Ian Small saying it was moved down, demoted because, (with a big smile on his face) less than 2% of our users use tags ! wow, that's hard to believe isn't it, I would have thought out of their paying customer base that one of the things I would have paid for "and used" were tags, cause they are great!.

Ian then talked about user interface consistency, and how they should all be similar, iOS, Android, Mac, PC Etc. Well on the iOS Evernote 10 the tags are edited at the top so what's that all about Ian? They sit at the top of the screen! did you forget and there's even less screen real-estate on a phone which was the second reason he gave for moving them down, wasted space where they were at the top. I don't think that is accurate, is my politicians reply to that.

Go to: 33:00 approx to hear the explanation from the man himself.  Quote Ian Small: "The issue is that tag users are less than 2% of our audience". I would say yes, that is an issue, an issue of you not getting over either the importance or their ease of use. So instead of addressing that, move them out of the way, that makes complete sense. Not.

You know I'm more worried about the fact that Ian Small doesn't appear to use, or understand the importance of tags himself than the fact that they've moved down the screen. Just as long as they don't move off the screen, I'll be happy.

"The issue is that tag users are less than 2% of our audience"

Sounds like the Trump line on COVID deaths:  "If you look at the numbers, it's a really small proportion of the U.S. population."

To which I say, "The wealthiest country in the world has 25% of the deaths in the world." 

At some point, will I develop herd immunity to v. 10.1.7?  Nope. 

Reinstalled version 7.14.  Everything works fine.  Including my ~175 tags.  Sync to iPhone and iPad both work. 

NOTES

1)  This is for MAC users.  Windows users proceed with caution.

2)  I always keep the .dmg for the installed and previous version of apps.  (Keep a Time Machine backup as well, but I don't trust it anymore.  OS X Catalina blew away two years of data...and doesn't recover emails.  Another case of ambitious application enhancement gone bad.)

Like many who have contributed to this string, I have been an enthusiastic and loyal Evernote user for nearly 10 years with most of those as a premium user. Also, as many have reported, v10 is a complete and utter disaster that is simply unusable. I didn’t install it. I simply opened Evernote this week and it was just there (I have the windows desktop version). But it is much worse than that, being much more than just a loss of major features and functions (e.g. denigration of tags, no sync button, no preferences, no more uploading books and articles, no way to customize the interface, slower response…). I have over 11,000 notes and over 2000 tags. I trusted in Evernote to keep my data safe. This version is an outright betrayal of that trust.

Let me explain… I am a researcher. I search the web for articles, clip them and then mark them up with highlights, text colors and comments. I tag them (and also group the tags), so I can organize them by concepts and chapters for books. However, in this new version, clipped notes are no longer editable! If I click the option above the web clip to “Simplify and Make Editable” not only do clips explode into many unusable pieces which must be re-arranged, edited or deleted, but incredibly enough, I lose all of my formatting, highlighting, text coloring and other edits that I  had previously made. That includes current highlights I perform on the article just prior to clipping them. This renders my entire database useless. If I want to make edits to a prior note, I must first make a copy of it, make the original version editable and then look at them side by side to manually re-do all of my formatting in the editable version and then delete the copy. To do this for all of my 11,000 plus notes would literally take years.

I have not tried to revert back to a “legacy version” yet, but if it can be done, my plan is to attempt to find an alternative that features editable web clips and tags. It must also be capable of importing my Evernote notes with tags and formatting intact. I will then cancel my premium subscription and never use Evernote again. However, I’m not confident that there is another app that will do these things (if anyone has ideas, let me know). I know Bear is good for macs, but I’m a windows user. If I can’t find an alternative, I’ve literally lost 10 years of work. This is simply unconscionable for Evernote to do something like this to their loyal supporters. I am no longer one.

Regarding tags that I’ve seen come up repeatedly in this discussion, the use of tags is a no brainer. I have been involved with knowledge management and organization of information most of my long career. It’s very difficult to find things in folders because everyone has different ideas of how to organize information that they regard as “logical” to them. Perhaps unsurprisingly that includes the same individual over time. Therefore, the more ways you can find a path to the information you are looking for (such as the use of multiple tags) that more likely you are to find it - plain and simple. And there are many other reasons to use tags as well which I won’t go into because this post is already long.

• Like 4

After updating to version 10.1.7 I started noticing that things were not where they were supposed to be.  The reminder icon got moved to the bottom, where I didn't look for who knows how long, and the ability to select All Notes from the dropdown next to the notebook name was also removed.

Eventually, I found that there is a legacy version of Evernote.  It is here:  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314

A side by side comparison makes it clear to me that the legacy version is superior to 10.1.7.  I don't need the new pretty things that 10.1.7 has to offer.  Not if it comes at the cost that 10.1.7 seems to want to extract.  One salient example is that v. 10.1.7 does not allow you to customize the toolbar.  That is, there is no toolbar to customize in the first place, which makes navigation problematic.

I count eight different drop-down menus in the legacy version and seven in the new version.  To me it is clear that the new version is an abbreviated version of what Evernote used to be.  If it wasn't for the legacy version I would be considering stopping my premium payments to Evernote.  If anyone at Evernote reads this, I have been a premium member since 2009.  I'm very disappointed that v. 10.1.7 isn't better than the legacy version.

Please tell me this isn't the final version? 

I like the dark mode, but that's about it for likes. 

Some of my gripes, maybe there's some hidden settings I've not been able to find...

No shortcuts at the top of the window where they're always visible. 

No right click to add a new word to the dictionary

No colours for notebook titles,  

Notebooks too spaced out vertically in the window, I can only see about 20 now. 

Tags at the bottom of the note rather than the top. 

Plus lots of other annoyances. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
On 10/7/2020 at 11:29 PM, gbarry said:

Hi everyone--appreciate the feedback thus far. For two of the noted features above--we're continuing to work on internal links and their functionality. With regard to classic links and internal links, I'm testing against both and seeing them route correctly within the new Evernote. We have a future release to improve them when pasted outside of Evernote, but internally to Evernote they should be working on the latest version. What are you experiencing?

As for TOC, you can now copy any combination of multi selected notes into a bulleted or numbered list in the editor, creating your own table of contents note, and re-arrange it using the editor's drag and drop capabilities for the bulleted list. It adds two steps, but increases the overall flexibility of being able to apply groups of note links throughout. Additionally, we remember the order in which you have selected the notes, meaning you can quickly compile your TOC list (or any list) of note links quickly for pasting into any note. Would really love to hear if that additional flexibility expands and improves upon the TOC functionality.

I recently had a conversation with the CTO of my employer about migration to Electron based apps. We've experienced a similar string of complaints from users. Essentially, we bloated our app, removed a lot of functionality and made users unhappy for the sake of having "one code base". I said "How many customers are you willing to lose in the name of saving development effort?". We're going back to native apps now. 

I think the same conversation needs to be had at Evernote. I rolled back to 7.14, and am looking at migrating to other note taking apps now.

Edit: Ironically, I realized this forum's text editor is a more powerful text editor than Evernote 10.

Edited by Not Will
Added thought
On 10/7/2020 at 10:36 AM, DTLow said:

Just providing a discussion topic for user rants
For specific feedback/requests please post individually in the requests forum
For specific technical bugs/issues please post individually in the bugs/issues forum

edit  This is the best news I've seen; we can install a legacy version, and run side-by-side with v10
https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/128793-roll-back-to-714-possible-or-not/?do=findComment&comment=578723

Let's be honest. Electron is a game changer, for the worse. I've been using Evernote for years, but now I will try to re-install the old version until I can migrate off.

This article sums up the problem nicely: Electron is Flash for the desktop. Why does a note-taking program need code for Xbox 360 controllers? That is the definition of bloat.

Electron_vs_Legacy.png

• Like 1

Sadly, I agree. Electron is a great choice for some apps [needs to lock down to a browser version and control that. Legacy code for enterprises, healthcare, other slow moving organizations]. But even then it’s a solution you should be looking to move from, not move to.

All that said: the problem here isn’t the technology choices, it’s the failure to capture all of the use cases, do TDD, and release *when the use cases are working*.  

• Level 5

Hello, and welcome to the forums. Please search in the forums dedicated to v. 10 regarding performance, notebook colors, etc., which are already under discussion there: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/forum/720-evernote-for-windows-issues-versions-100-and-above/ and https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/forum/731-evernote-for-windows-requests-versions-100-and-above/.

5 hours ago, CobaltJacket said:

This article sums up the problem nicely: Electron is Flash for the desktop. Why does a note-taking program need code for Xbox 360 controllers? That is the definition of bloat.

Thanks for that article. It's great!  Even better is this other page the article links to:   https://idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm. I laughed so hard. All developers should read this.

• Like 1

Mac v10.1.7 update has been quite upsetting. How come they took away so many features. Or am I blind and just can't find the features I am used to? Since none of my support tickets have been answered, hope someone could help me here.

• When I create a note in a shared notebook, I used hit [Share] which opens a chat with the link to the note where I write a message about the note. This feature is gone. I need it back so badly.
  • Preferences is gone. How do I disable Evernote from the menu bar? I don't want to have it there.
  • How do you customize keyboard shortcuts? This feature is also gone.
  • ⌘ + ⇧ + A is no longer showing me All Notes. How do I jump back to All Notes when I am in a specific notebook?
  • The notification icon is gone. I need it to see what others updated when.
  • Sync icon is gone. I need it when I can't wait for 5 min.
  • Window position is not remembered. Every time I start and login Mac app, it opens centered where I don't want it to be. Why this way? Frustrating.
  • Copying Link is gone. How one is supposed to copy a link?

Thank you for any help! I am loosing my mind!

-Hiro

• Like 7

I think it’s great. Not perfect, but still far better than OneNote etc.

the edge cases needed to go, this baselining of the product across platforms vital for the future success of the product. It will get better.

all I ever read on these forums is negativity for very specific use-cases that quite frankly don’t belong in anyone’s workflow.

I have 10000 notes is my favourite... like you even look at 5% of them. I suggest if someone has 10000 notes that relies on colour coded tags you aren’t managing your information  very well.

what if Evernote hadn’t changed and died in 3 years time as everyone moved on ... same people moaning that they didn’t develop...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5

You can say „Yes, it was a necessary step to move to a new code basis“. Yes, I say this as well, and I think a unified code platform is the only way to keep EN manageable and economically viable. So who wants to use EN long term should welcome the new versions.

So far, so good - but this does not explain why EN pushed to roll it out when the job still was not done. The new version lacks important functions.

Just one simple example: My wife and I share 2 notebooks with our recipes. Me the cooking, she the baking. With the new version it is not possible to search for content in a notebook shared to you by somebody else. Even if you select the notebook, search does not work.

We don’t have 10.000 recipes, but still enough that without searching use is quite handicapped.

I use the same share-a-notebook function once a year with my accountant to prepare my tax declaration. That is a pile of notes containing all the documents, all of it tagged and OCRed. And now ? Use it without a search-for-document function ? Use it without a search-in-document-function ? There is another word for it: Broken workflow. 

There is more missing or bugged, some a plain nuisance, some of it worse than not finding THAT recipe we wanted to cook today.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Premium User since 2008.

Evernote is pretty fast on iPhone 12 PRO.

Too bad there are all known bugs with v10. I guess I have to use Apple Notes for now and comme back in few months to check the updates..

• Level 5
10 hours ago, Everluke said:

I think it’s great. Not perfect, but still far better than OneNote etc.

the edge cases needed to go, this baselining of the product across platforms vital for the future success of the product. It will get better.

all I ever read on these forums is negativity for very specific use-cases that quite frankly don’t belong in anyone’s workflow.

I have 10000 notes is my favourite... like you even look at 5% of them. I suggest if someone has 10000 notes that relies on colour coded tags you aren’t managing your information  very well.

what if Evernote hadn’t changed and died in 3 years time as everyone moved on ... same people moaning that they didn’t develop...

Glad it's working well for you. Indeed, it does promise to get better. But lack of communication left a lot of people with bad surprises. Why pass judgment on other people's workflows or what is an edge case? Just be glad your own pet function didn't get borked.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Level 5*
On 10/24/2020 at 2:46 AM, Everluke said:

have 10000 notes is my favourite... like you even look at 5% of them.

Same statement could be made of the filing cabinets I used to have I suppose.  Maybe I didn't/don't need to keep all of these documents.  But it always seems to be the one I don't keep that I end up needing, never have figured that one out. 

Electronic documents are so much easier to keep and search.  EN sold a product that enabled me to become paperless and then out of the blue they, to quote @Dave-in-Decatur, borked it.  Nothing other than thud.  Sure lots of chatter about the new standardized EN but not much about the major feature pruning.  Hey it's their product they can do with it as they see fit.  But there is a level of communications I expect from a provider. 

• Like 4

I think the shock is that the pruning has taken EN from an admittedly untidy bush down to a stick with a few twigs on it. 

I can't believe they thought to offer V10 as a proper update to users knowing how pruned it is and how it would destroy many users workflows. Luckily I only updated my work PC with the new version and after picking my jaw up off the desk at how bad it was I went to the forums to see what went wrong. (a whole other world of frustration trying to get access)

I can still just about use EN V10, but I won't be updating my laptop nor my home PC nor phone any time soon. 

I'm leaving the work PC with V10 as a reminder that I need to find an alternate app and to actually do something about that. On a positive note I'm liking Notion so far, it's very slick and nice to use. I think it will suit my needs nicely, but I'm not rushing into anything. 

• Like 3
On 10/20/2020 at 6:01 PM, Riggar said:

OK so I thought I'd look at Notebooks again and moving notes within tag to a Notebook - oh no the data is lost - brilliant how can that possibly happen!

I've spoken to a few people who said they lost data but they had this data in local only notebooks on the old app.

The new app only supports offline data so all notebooks need to be in the cloud as well.

Your lost data maybe in a local notebook so hopefully not lost.

Nice to see that I'm not the only one who has issues with the "new" EverNote. I've been a user for a decade now. The first thing I noticed is that the formatting of all my old notes was totally borked. Why can't I format notes as makes sense to me? One serious problem is that I have a lot of lead sheets for songs. That is lyrics with chord changes above each line of lyrics. Well, when you decide by fiat that my personal font choice no longer matters, you've also chosen to bork all the lead sheets and I have to go through them all to get the chord spacing correct again. Then too, EN's choice to limit fonts to only three or four really ugly ones makes no sense. 

Fortunately for me, there's something wrong with the installation, and the next time I booted up my computer and fired up EN, I was back at the "old" version, with correct formatting and so forth. It will be a long time before I fall for the "all new EN for Windoz" that is in reality no more than an untested beta. WTF? 

• Like 3

I have been an Evernote user for over nearly 6 years using the Mac ecosystem from iPhone to iMac and have been very pleased. I scan a lot and use an Epson Scanner (FF-680W) using its ScanSmart software. I also have a folder on my iMac/MacBook Pro which has an action associated with it so that any files I drop in there will automatically be moved into my Evernote application. I also have a script to move attachments received in emails direct to Evernote.

Move forward to my upgrade to the latest 10.7.1 desktop app and Epson ScanSmart can no longer send scans to Evernote and my wonderful folder action will no longer work. On investigation I find that AppleScript is no longer supported (this could have been explained up-front before I upgraded!). Weirdly I can still 'email to Evernote' and I can still 'print PDF to Evernote'.

This is a huge step backward from what I have been used to. I now have to manually drag/drop files which I have scanned - more than doubling the time it takes. So, while I like the speed the new app loads. I'm also happy with the searching and note editing. These do not counter the time lost through my now broken workflow.

There is no native way to designate a local import folder on Mac (with perhaps settings to designate which notebook and so on) which could possibly solve all my problems.

Please fix these omissions ASAP as I've started looking to what else is out there that could work better for me and I really don't want to have to move all my work.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
37 minutes ago, jread said:

AppleScript is no longer supported

Confirmed; Applescript integration is pending for version 10

Applescript is important to my workflow; which is the reason I use the Evernote Legacy version

The new version is a major step back in comparison to the old one. In particular:
1. RTL support is awful
2. The inline view of PDF is not working anymore when "view as attachment"
3. All PDF's that was marked as "view as attachment" in the previous version are not showing as such in the new version, and I'm talking about thousands!!

• Like 2

Who is the idiot in charge at Evernote permanently taking away features people love? 

Evernote is not a program that should be dumbed down. Leave that to Notion. 

Stop trying to emulate other programs. Stick to your core base and this program will outlast all of them.

Add features yes, remove no. Unless you are sure beyond any doubt that they won't be missed and you improve on them.

Listen to your users comments!

Removing the tabs feature is similar to how Apple designed the retarted way to charge the Apple Pencil with the first generation iPads.

Also, please bring back the grid view for god's sake!

• Like 2

Is it possible for us to figure out who the evil person (halloween themed adjective) is that's responsible for actively destroying a good program?

Maybe this person (or group of) don't enjoy or understand complexity and want everything dumbed down?

Not that Evernote was ever complex to begin with, but maybe shallow people saw it as such. 

Unbearably frustrating situation!

LISTEN TO US!!!!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 10/19/2020 at 1:37 PM, MrIllustrator said:

Go to this YouTube video at around 33:09 and listen to Ian Small say himself "Less than 2% of our audience" He moved them to the bottom because 98% of users don't use tags and they were "in the way". I wonder if Ian Small is in the (less than 2%) somehow I don't think so.

https://youtu.be/7gz0mxGC4-0

I just read this 12 days after it was posted, so maybe other comments might mitigate what I'm about to write.

"Less than 2% of our users use tags." (quote from Ian Small, Evernote CEO)

First, I find this extremely hard to believe (even though I heard Ian Small say those words myself), given that Evernote does NOT support a full hierarchical NB (a la folders) structures.

I am astounded!

2020-10-31_19-28-34.png.012180cca0eb137964b33bd0716fd182.png

Without NB hierarchy and without Tags, how do these 98% organize their Notes!?!?!?

If it is true, I am sorry to say that it speaks very poorly about these 98% of EN Users.  They either have very few Notes, or don't have the mental organizational talent to understand the benefit of, and need for Tags.  Again, very surprising since Tags are today used all over the place, on web blogs, news articles, web apps, and, of course, desktop and mobile apps.

I also wonder what population the "users" are taken from:  ALL users, including the free account users, or paid account users?
I don't know the numbers, but it would not surprise me if 98% of ALL Users are the Free account users.  That might explain some of this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

I just read this 12 days after it was posted, so maybe other comments might mitigate what I'm about to write.

"Less than 2% of our users use tags." (quote from Ian Small, Evernote CEO)

First, I find this extremely hard to believe (even though I heard Ian Small say those words myself), given that Evernote does NOT support a full hierarchical NB (a la folders) structures.

I am astounded!

It's insane to speak for a feature due to lack of people using. A feature can be important and useful even only 2% use it. If Ian Small's statement is valid, should some professional products like Mac Pro not to be launched on the market? Should Boeing line be removed because only 2% people on the planet are pilots?

No products or services released in the market just because many need it or use it. They are launched at first and people are inspired and educated to find it useful, and they start letting it become a part of their work and life.

If Ian Small is right just because he fails to promote some note-taking skills. You see Bear app (nested tags without notebooks) is working well. It's Ian Small and Evernote's failure to understand what a note-taking app is, failure to encourage people to create values in using it. They shouldn't put the features to somewhere or remove to punish users.2% users are also users who pay.

His statement makes me never trust the company again. Maybe one day he will remove the add note feature because only 2% add new notes while 98% just editing existing notes.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
15 hours ago, Alvin C said:

His statement makes me never trust the company again. Maybe one day he will remove...

Nothing has been removed (yet)    
The issue is the panel location for tag information

• Like 1

This version is the worst I've ever had to live with Evernote. What gives? Changing everything about the way it worked, including removing things that were part of my set up?

Bugs all over the place!!

I am so disappointed. Whoever is in charge should be fired!

• Like 2
On 11/1/2020 at 12:30 AM, JMichaelTX said:

I also wonder what population the "users" are taken from:  ALL users, including the free account users, or paid account users?
I don't know the numbers, but it would not surprise me if 98% of ALL Users are the Free account users.  That might explain some of this.

Agreed. That 98% of users not using tags line strikes me as a politician's answer. That could well include anyone who has logged into to Evernote to make even a single note in the last 12 months, for example, even if they never used it again. I suspect the % among paying subscribers is much higher, and the % among people who have paid several years in a row is higher still.

• Like 3

This is such an awful upgrade, nearly as bad as a recent iOS update that erased all your offline notebooks and required you to leave the phone sitting for HOURS to download them all.

I couldn't believe they threw out tabs in this Mac release.

This is what happens when you concentrate on metrics (eg "most users don't use tabs") and forget to analyze the EFFECT of removing features on actual users. First, removal of such a feature really ruins workflows for people who use them extensively, so when evaluating impact you should multiply the number of users by the criticality of the feature to users. Second, such features gut the users who are most heavily invested in Evernote. These are the ones who write instructions that help others to use Evernote, create templates, and really extend the ecosystem. Third, it erodes trust in the platform. Does this release help you feel comfortable with putting all your data into this platform, when features are removed randomly without notice?

• Like 5

A productivity tool ??

Is there any compensation* with a few days lost of rework (as far as that is possible with V10!) ?

* Like 25 years Premium for free?

And iOS versions...what now, EN-team?? Wannabe's?! There's NO way back...What about a legacy app-relaunch on iOS? Even previous iOS-version on iOS load notes (and so open the app) without correct FaceID- or password recognition...imagine this. This is a shame. Never seen this before. Never.

Tabs: macos and Windows: + ....... !! Now you have crossplatforming dev-environment ...no prob, isn't it?

EN 10. A disaster. After 18 months development?? Even some new apps are more ready in a few weeks with high capacity engineering and only a few devs.

A senior high-end IT engineer. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Stealth said:

Is there any compensation* with a few days lost of rework (as far as that is possible with V10!) ?

Can't advise on the IOS platform   
Certainly Mac users have no issues using the Evernote Legacy product

Is there a reason you're using the Evernote 10 product?
Personally, I'm waiting until the work gets completed

13 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Is there a reason you're using the Evernote 10 product?
Personally, I'm waiting until the work gets completed

Yes, but after a upgrade on iOS ... there's only waiting ...no legacy option.

This is the problems I have been having so far: 

03/11/2020 

• "You can only select 50 notes" => this means multiple times  doing the same action as some of my searches have many more results than that
  • When changing a title of a note, the change is not visible for minutes by which time I already moved on

More 30/10/2020
  • Photos not able to drag out of Evernote- it becomes a grey box with a question mark in it
  • Photos cannot be dragged into Evernote anymore, just nothing happens
  • Notes take too long to upload, much waiting eg. Tagging a group of notes
  • New notes pop up in front window. Unwanted as need to click away constantly
  • Sync now button gone
  • Got message 'Upload not succeeded Please try again.' Really? Which one, as I do many. This happens multiple times a day. Total waste of time

28?/10/2020
  • Title scrolls away when scrolling in note down (which WAS fixed in the past now its gone again)
  • Top list view gone
  • TABS and/or multiple windows are gone

Great:
  • Saved searches are back

General
  • No longer can copy text from a PDF in Evernote
  • Search bar not long enough
  • Will splitting up notes in more accounts make Evernote faster?
  • Edit bulk notes edit screen, eg. I would never use presentation

I am actively looking for going elsewhere as I have never in my years of Evernote use seen such a complete disaster of an update.

Don't forget removal of Preferences/Settings, WebClipper now doesn't create a title or tags, and many, many more deficiencies.

They've removed things that DID work, changed some of them for things that now DON'T work, and generally made a dog's breakfast out of what used to be a great series of apps on all its platforms.

What a load of rubbish - how much is CEO Ian Small responsible for this?  Did he play an active role in defining the changes?  Or did he just listen to software engineers who probably don't even use Evernote, telling him that it needed to be rebuilt from the ground up as an Electron app?  Either way - he should get the boot...!

Evernote needs to accept they've screwed up hugely, scrap ALL the versions of v10, and revert back to the previous versions that worked.  Then think again if there was anything that actually needed to be fixed or added, such as the ability to store a video clip embedded in a note. 

That would be the only way that Evernote as a company will survive, I suspect.

• Like 3

I can't seem to find the preferences/settings....  Am I missing something?  I opened evernote today to find that continuous scrolling (via mouse using a desktop computer) wasn't working.  I googled it but couldn't find anything.  Its' fine if it's a few pages of notes but I would like the option to use continuous scrolling instead of having to navigate to the bottom of the page to go to the next page.  I'm using the snippet view and I used to be able to scroll in the note to a certain page/area of the note via mouse wheel.  The same behavior is happening when I open the note as well.  Also, there is no indication of which page you are on or how many pages there are total in a note (if my note is a pdf).   I'm using EN  v10.2.4 and macOS Catalina v 10.15.7.

Edited to add... I found that you can change the view as "all pages"  from "Single Page" in the case of a pdf (most of my notes are pdfs that are scanned in).  But it seems to be on a case-by-case basis.... I want to make it my default setting but I can't find anywhere to change that .  Also, now when I go into "edit & annotate" the pdf I can no longer delete pages or rotate them.  Another thing that I noticed was that the tags have moved to the bottom of the page and it disrupts the flow/efficiency imo.  I go to the top of the page to change the title but now I have to go to the bottom of the page to add tags.

Ugh.... I feel like this update was a really BIG step backwards.  I feel like things that worked ok were not improved upon but they were deleted or removed.... I'm really frustrated! Please don't "fix" something that isn't broken... Please put it back to the way it was.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, nyks019 said:

I can't seem to find the preferences/settings.

The Preference settings are pending; to be delivered in a future upgrade

On the iOS app notes that are created aren't saved. Search doesn't work. Can't get to old notes - they are just greyed out.

This is infuriating. I will be cancelling my subscription if this isn't fixed quickly. I've been a happy user since 2013. Yesterday I was stuck in a serious situation where I needed information in Evernote I could not get to.

• Now Customer main note is at bottom of page instead of top!
  • Edited noted take ages to register new tag/rename title/other edits, so note stays in old search for way too long, like 5 minutes.
  • Certain tags now at end of line instead of beginning, which means I need to rename 1000's of notes to get them back at the beginning eg. all tags starting with symbols and numbers. This is going to be great fun in combination with 'You can only select 50 notes'.
  • To change a tag from 2020.11 to 2hold, you need to press a lot more buttons due to drop down menus instead of direct editing of tags. First you find 'Remove tag from notes' used to be a simple delete) and then 'Add tag' (used to be just starting to type). Simple editing (typing straight over the tag to be edited) is no longer possible.
  • 'Remove tag' is AWFULLY close to 'Remove tag from all notes' which could be disastrous if with a slip of the finger is accidentally pressed
  • Switching between searches (as tabs of multiple windows is no longer possible) does not keep the order that was first selected, so about 3 extra selections are needed to get back to the order preferred of the original search (eg. oldest note on top)
  • Moving 32 notes to another notebook takes 85 (!) seconds. Really? What do you need to do to get something that worked perfectly to change into something so stupidly slow?

Full of bugs.  It's useless now.  Can't see my notes.  "new notes" are blank and can't be edited.  I've been a premium member of Evernote for years.  I've depended on it for several functions.  Suddenly, the app is not useful at all.  I've gotten no response from support.

• Like 1

EN you just gotta revert and retreat, this is a complete disaster, completely unusable.  Who ever is the product manager needs to raise the white flag, this is gonna lose subscribers including myself as a 10+ year member.

On 11/3/2020 at 8:42 AM, nyks019 said:

I can't seem to find the preferences/settings....  Am I missing something?  I opened evernote today to find that continuous scrolling (via mouse using a desktop computer) wasn't working.  I googled it but couldn't find anything.  Its' fine if it's a few pages of notes but I would like the option to use continuous scrolling instead of having to navigate to the bottom of the page to go to the next page.  I'm using the snippet view and I used to be able to scroll in the note to a certain page/area of the note via mouse wheel.  The same behavior is happening when I open the note as well.  Also, there is no indication of which page you are on or how many pages there are total in a note (if my note is a pdf).   I'm using EN  v10.2.4 and macOS Catalina v 10.15.7.

Edited to add... I found that you can change the view as "all pages"  from "Single Page" in the case of a pdf (most of my notes are pdfs that are scanned in).  But it seems to be on a case-by-case basis.... I want to make it my default setting but I can't find anywhere to change that .  Also, now when I go into "edit & annotate" the pdf I can no longer delete pages or rotate them.  Another thing that I noticed was that the tags have moved to the bottom of the page and it disrupts the flow/efficiency imo.  I go to the top of the page to change the title but now I have to go to the bottom of the page to add tags.

Ugh.... I feel like this update was a really BIG step backwards.  I feel like things that worked ok were not improved upon but they were deleted or removed.... I'm really frustrated! Please don't "fix" something that isn't broken... Please put it back to the way it was.

I have the same problem with PDFs. I use EN for service support, I spend much of the time referring to PDFs, many of them 100s of pages in length. I have to change each one to ‘all pages’.

Additionally, larger PDFs - about 20mb - now can’t be previewed at all and need to be opened outside of EN. I submitted a support ticket over a week ago with no response to date. 

I’ve been using EN for 12 years, I have 1000s of notes, the prospect of moving those to another platform is so daunting, but if I can find a product that offers what I  need that’s what I’ll do. 

• Like 1

This update had to happen at some point to get the client to modern UI footing, and honestly it isn't that bad.  I'd like to be able to make the note list view a little bit more compact, but other than that it looks quite nice.

But there an infuriating limitation on how wide the Note List View pane can be.  I want to make this pane larger and the note pane smaller, but it's not letting me resize past a certain point.  If I resize the Evernote window larger, it only allows the note itself to expand wider, not the Note List View pane.  That's pretty rough, and a completely unnecessary limitation.  Hopefully this is fixed soon.

I agree the new version totally sucks.  I have been a user since 2005 and paid customer for over 10 years.  It's outrageous they would even consider foisting this stripped, basic junk on their customers.  The tree analogy above is excellent.  😠

There's a very good thread on this forum and Reddit that lists alternatives to try.  If you are unhappy with this forced downgrade, I suggest looking at all the different options out there.  There's a lot.  For me, Nimbus Notes and Standard Notes are what I will probably be moving to.  Nimbus has a sweet deal on Appsumo right now that I took advantage of.  Both of these encrypt all your data even at rest.  I think confidentiality is important.

• Like 5

I've implemented GTD on EN for all my work life and personal life workflows.  Every project, task, checklist, reminder, todo, plan, list, history, reference, dreaming, whatever you call it, whatever you name it, is in EN.  This is across Win, Mac, and iOS, and I've become a completely "paper less" person in doing so, and have been a subscriber for the past 10+ years.  I've endorsed and recommended EN to anyone and everyone, and preached how GTD on EN has changed my life, and like they say become "Mind like Water".   Now, I have to seriously rethink this to make it technology and future proof, but I'll come up with something.  I'm looking on Reddit for posted alternatives, but nothing sticks yet...I'll letcha know if I'm successful?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I see that Evernote has, without my consent, updated all my desktop apps. That's not good.

I've been using Bear on my Mac and I find it great for my purposes. I don't want to use EN anymore and haven't except to go through deleting and tidying up.

Just for the hell of it just now, I clicked All Notes and selected all which, of course, now is 50, and tagged them. It took over 50 seconds. I then clicked on the tag I'd sent them to, selected all so as to delete that tag, and there were only 12 notes there. I clicked on my test tag again to find another 36 notes. It then took another 40 seconds to delete the tag. You've got to be kidding me! Evernote is totally broken.

In Bear, I selected all (322 notes) and dragged them to a new tag. That took around 12 seconds. I then clicked on that tag, selected all, and deleted the tag which took around 7 seconds. I don't even want to use it to see what else isn't working well.

I can't believe Evernote has created such a dog.

• Level 5

Nobody can update anything on your Mac without your consent. Consent means as well when you set it to auto-update.

You can install the „legacy“ client of EN, be it alone or side by side to v10. In a side by side install you need enough space for 2 databases, because each client has its own.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, neverever said:

I've implemented GTD on EN for all my work life and personal life workflows.  Every project, task, checklist, reminder, todo, plan, list, history, reference, dreaming, whatever you call it, whatever you name it, is in EN.  This is across Win, Mac, and iOS, and I've become a completely "paper less" person in doing so, and have been a subscriber for the past 10+ years.  I've endorsed and recommended EN to anyone and everyone, and preached how GTD on EN has changed my life, and like they say become "Mind like Water".   Now, I have to seriously rethink this to make it technology and future proof, but I'll come up with something.  I'm looking on Reddit for posted alternatives, but nothing sticks yet...I'll letcha know if I'm successful?

gosh, I was in exactly the same boat...as a mac user mostly having used EN for myself as opposed to sharing gizillions of notes, I have moved to Devonthink last week. so far there are some changes, but i addition to working really really well as my EN / GTD replacement there are so many new and additional features that I am truly excited to incorporate into my workflows...

• Like 1

Oooof the new desktop search is awful!  The entire point of the product is to search, and it's been relegated to the teeny tiny search bar and results window from the mobile app.  That was a really bad change...  I'm definitely going to go back to the old version and look at alternatives in the meantime, something I haven't done since switching from OneNote to Evernote several years ago.  It's a notes app, not a lifestyle.  I've got no issues switching, and I'm happy to give my money to a company that gets it.

Once again, the desktop experience is ruined by mobile-first design principles.  I thought Evernote "got it" but nope, they're just like everyone else.

I do understand, you don't want to maintain two completely different apps.  But you've got to pay attention to why people are using one over the other in the first place and tweak the solutions accordingly.  Look at this search results window, seriously, who could possibly sign off on that after using the previous version?

You've got power users who pay good money to use a premium product, not your mobile app.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Recent experience:

I have a 5 years old note. That note has few pictures with text in between.

I just wanted to change the text in between via iOS app. So I tap on the text and expect cursor and keyboard to appear. But it doesn't. Instead: One of the pictures is selected. I try it again a few times - won't work. I tap on the text, but the image is selected. So I tab a bit faster (maybe double click works?) and swoosh - one of the pictures is deleted and a random part of a sentence is moved somewhere else. In other words, the note is pretty much messed up. That's really bad because the deleted picture is gone. I don't have it somewhere else. But - not a big deal, isn't it? I shake the phone to undo...nothing happens. Function was removed? Sure it was. 

So I had to get up, start my Computer and use the version function to restore and old note. 

You ask yourself why I write this text. I do it to let you feel what my experience with this product is nowadays. It's a terrible experience and I really have to say, I start to hate Evernote. I start to find excuses for not writing something down. Great. But hey, I bet you have hundred of millions downloads from "casual users" already.

Bye.

• Like 2

I just upgraded and would like instruction on how to revert back to the previous version.  There is no need to alter the view of the prior version (I'm ok with minor improvements).  How can I change back please?

• Sad 1
18 hours ago, HighcardEN said:

This update had to happen at some point to get the client to modern UI footing, and honestly it isn't that bad.  I'd like to be able to make the note list view a little bit more compact, but other than that it looks quite nice.

But there an infuriating limitation on how wide the Note List View pane can be.  I want to make this pane larger and the note pane smaller, but it's not letting me resize past a certain point.  If I resize the Evernote window larger, it only allows the note itself to expand wider, not the Note List View pane.  That's pretty rough, and a completely unnecessary limitation.  Hopefully this is fixed soon.

Agree with above comments.  I've been a Premium subscriber and would like the same option -or instruction on how to change back (it was working just fine) to the previous version.

• Like 1

Thanks, Evernote. A whole bunch of reasons I was happy with EN are disappeared.
No more auto pop up window after dragging a new document to the doc (instead I have to open the app), no more changing a notebook with just one click, and all my direct note-links from outside the app are broken. To name a few. 

4 hours ago, kthesun said:

You ask yourself why I write this text. I do it to let you feel what my experience with this product is nowadays. It's a terrible experience and I really have to say, I start to hate Evernote. I start to find excuses for not writing something down. Great. But hey, I bet you have hundred of millions downloads from "casual users" already.

Unfortunately EV chose to go the same direction Google went with forcibly moving seasoned Google Play Music power users into casual YouTube Music for brain-dead users. Updated interface with no features under the hood. They force power users into inferior product aimed at casual user, that's why it isn't working.

5 hours ago, atomicben said:

What the heck! This new version doesn't have screenshot capabilities it seems? I'm very confused! Legacy version better remain available for a long time, given this new release.

Legacy is available, but unsupported with no bugfixes or updates.  If you report an issue with Legacy, you'll likely be told to "upgrade" to v10.

• Level 5

Currently installing legacy is the only solution for several workflows to be continued. Nobody knows for how long, so I would probably not count on it forever. Either EN improves v10 fast enough, or one need to find an alternative based on the personal use cases. For some use cases like those that rely on local notebooks, it is announced that they will die with the legacy app one day.

But for the time being, running legacy is probably the „best alternative“ you can pick. This must not mean the best one can imagine, but the best among several less-than-attractive choices.

2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

But for the time being, running legacy is probably the „best alternative“ you can pick. This must not mean the best one can imagine, but the best among several less-than-attractive choices.

Yeah, I agree. For many (including me) Legacy is probably the "least worst" option at the moment!  Just trying to point out to people that while Legacy is there now, it's not supported, and the rug can be pulled out from under you at any time.   

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, Big Trev said:

Just trying to point out to people that while Legacy is there now, it's not supported,

The sync process is supported for Evernote Legacy   
that's all I need for the time being

>>and the rug can be pulled out from under you at any time   
Didn't that just happen with the Version 10 product?   
And it's supported - how's that working out for you?

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The sync process is supported for Evernote Legacy   
that's all I need for the time being

Evernote Legacy is not supported.  Not for sync, not for anything.  If you report a problem, they will likely tell you to upgrade to v10.  I don't see why you fail to understand that, but that's your problem.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

There will be no future updates or bug fixes in older versions of Evernote, including Evernote Legacy. If you are having trouble with this app, our Support team may recommend that you update Evernote to the newest version.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Oooooooh, my goooodness 😱 I run legacy, so I am doooooomed 💀💩👻

But, wait a minute: I have never upgraded my Windows and Mac clients, so I am still on legacy. They work, they perform, I can be productive, no bugs, no issues. Now I imagine I had installed v10 instead:

Who do you think would now report to be in deep sh** ?

One can have no need to get support, or get it, with a wait of currently 10-12 days ! I prefer not to need it, instead of needing & getting it (one day, maybe, to be told they know and are working on it).

And so on !

I think it is simply VERY bad advise to argue against using legacy at the moment. This may change one day, but everybody who depends on workflows that got abandoned with v10 is simply without much choice.

Well I just switched to Nimbus  - https://nimbusweb.me/ - imported all my notes from evernote and its $25 a year instead of $100 or whatever I was paying... the thing is if evernote would have beefed up their security and just kept updating the old app I would have stayed but for whatever reason they want to kill their own product, cya

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, bonedog73 said:

Well I just switched to Nimbus  - https://nimbusweb.me/ - imported all my notes from evernote and its $25 a year instead of $100 or whatever I was paying... the thing is if evernote would have beefed up their security and just kept updating the old app I would have stayed but for whatever reason they want to kill their own product, cya

Nimbus? I’m surprised by that, I have it on my iPad and it takes at least three seconds to open each note, Evernote 10 in its current rather buggy format is way quicker. 

Just now, bonedog73 said:

I made an account with Nimbus today, just evaluating it and it's looking very very positive for me too. II really liked Notion, but I think Nimbus fits my requirements better.