DTLow

Idea

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

I've participated in the Preview and the Beta programmes for this release. I've noted bugs when I've seen them, responded to the feedback questionnaires and posted observations to the Preview and Beta

I watched the Ian Small video like many of you did and my takeaway is that power-users don't much matter to them. There is a sense in which they have come out with an entirely new product, and they wi

Just providing a discussion topic for user rants For specific feedback/requests please post individually in the requests forum For specific technical bugs/issues please post individually in the bu

Posted Images

• Level 5

It is possible to install both versions side by side on desktops (Mac and PC). If it makes sense anybody has to see himself.

Installing both will create the same (but technically different) database of notes twice. If you have enough disk space, fine. If not,think about which client you really need. Having both can create problems with sharing information as well.

Personally I think that the legacy client is still a more complete and mature piece of software. So I decided for me to stick with it, following the development of the v10-client from the sidelines. Probably one day my workflows will be supported , and I can make the switch.

That legacy runs without a problem after I made the upgrade to MacOS Bigsur has just extended the lifespan of the legacy solution for at least another year. I think EN will be faster than that to roll out what is missing and needed.

• Level 5
10 hours ago, NightStalker said:

Lucky that you're finding the iOS version 10 at least usable.

But on my iPad - and my wife's iPad, who only uses an iPad, not a computer at all - the iOS v10 is unusable.  One thing she does is clip recipes from numerous sources to Evernote.  But the Share Sheet clipper just doesn't work, it doesn't put a title in, and it completely screws up the harvesting of the various source sites due to all these newer scripted web pages with slide-overs, multiframe pages, and of course, the Pinterest pages.  I have to put up with her vitriol every time she tries to use Evernote, with which she has been very familiar for many years.  She has thousands of recipes stored in there, all nicely tagged and titled.  But now - it's useless.  Even searching for something sends her into a rant worthy of George Carlin...!  But without the laughs.

And for this, we're paying Premium subscriptions...!

Collecting and sharing recipes is as well a major use of EN between my wife and me. She is more on the baking side, me more the cooking.

To be honest, grabbing stuff from web sites never has been a strong feature of EN on iOS. This is especially true for many food blogs, where today you find an amazing wealth of recipes. There was an iOS shortcut on the prior version of EN, that worked better than sharing a web site, but it still was a far cry from the web clipper on the desktops. The shortcut is gone with v10, and the clipping stays weak.

My workaround: First convert the web site to reading mode in Safari. Then call the share menu, print. When the document shows in print preview, (de)select pages, then pinch outwards with 2 fingers. This creates a pdf file. Now share the pdf to EN using the share option. This creates a new note with the pdf. The pdf usually is much cleaner than a direct clip of the web site, ads are suppressed and the layout is simplified.

What needs to be improved in v10 for this use case is 1) search of notes shared by another person must be possible again 2) search inside of notes and especially inside of attachments must work.

• Like 4

This fact that local notebooks has been removed is a ridiculous and infuriating decision that has caused me to move away from Evernote.

Evernote is holding my personal data hostage: If I want to use it in the future, I have to pay. I can only export my data in a proprietary format.

You might want to look at using Joplin, which was designed as an open-source Evernote alternative. I strongly recommend using Open Source software, as this avoids exactly what Evernote has just done. Thankfully, Joplin can import Evernote's enex format.

https://joplinapp.org

Evernote? More like Nevernote.

• Like 1
I agree! Removing the Tabs feature seems like an unforced error. I'm back on the Legacy version so I'm all good but I had to look into this and put my 2 cents in. Why would Evernote remove this feature? If you don't want to use Tabs, don't. But if you do, just make it available again.
I've been a regular, paid user for 8 years. Please, Evernote, bring it back.
Thank you
  • Like 1

I had to re-install the legacy version. The new version was so slow that it was unworkable. And all the other features that were stripped out - many were my go-tos. So, I bailed. 

I don't know if I am going to move to another application yet - I don't have the technical knowledge to be able to asses how difficult that will be! What a mess. I used to love Evernote. 

At some point, though, I will have to make that painful decision and move once I figure out how and what to move to. . 

For clarity, I pay for TWO Evernote Premium subscriptions in my house. For more years than I can remember I RELY on Evernote to be my digital archive of information. Accessible on all platforms, and AT LEAST providing information accessibility across all platforms. This latest release is a HUGE letdown and a SLAP IN THE FACE of paying customers. I don't know how Evernote lost it's way, but for the first time I'm actively investigating alternatives. I've started with Notion and will be researching whether it is MORE RELIABLE and MORE STABLE. I'm not naive enough to think that my one complaint or cancelling my two Premium subscriptions will make a difference, but from the other postings I just read I suspect I'm not alone.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, gdefenbaugh said:

This latest release is a HUGE letdown and a SLAP IN THE FACE

Your post has been merged with the ongoing discussion   
fwiw  Installing the Version 10 product is optional.    
         Many users are happily using the Legacy product

I have the latest and greatest version of Evernote and it is functionally broken. It will NOT save any data entered (whether new or updated). Evernote has been my go-to app for daily note taking, etc. -- but this is intolerable. This has been going on for several weeks. I have paid for an upgraded version of Evernote but I will have to look for another note taking app if this continues. What a shame!

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, ajbarr said:

I have the latest and greatest version of Evernote and it is functionally broken.

Are you sure you want to use "the latest version of Evernote" (Version 10)   
It's a work-in-progress and imho not ready for general use

You might be happier using the Legacy product

Just adding my voice to complaint stream. I am slowly writing up a feedback to Evernote, but wanted to make a note that am not happy at all with the new release. The only serious thing I was missing in old Windows app was dark mode. It got added in new version, but it it slow, bunch of poor design choices, broken in many way (search) and missing many essential features like hotkeys that were present before. Frankly it sucks. I just installed legacy and will be using that.

Just to add my 2 cents: I am  evernote user on Mac, and ipad for over 10 years, I am so upset with latest release. The interface is not intuitive, it's slow and cumbersome,  notes open in read only mode, I'm always clicking and searching for things I used to do normally. If anyone knows how to rollback, please comment. 

Michele

Hi all!
I'm upset with the last update to Evernote for Mac.
I have many notes with text and images I need to copy and paste into my mail program.
Before everything worked perfectly, now instead of the images in my email I get only a question mark.
How to fix?

I'm about to go back to the legacy version but I'm terrified about how much data I'm going to lose. I didn't realize they were doing a MAJOR overhaul of the entire system or I would have never agreed.

I'm going to save all my data but I won't know for a long time how much data was lost .... a tag here, a date there, a link missing.... for months. By then, I won't be able to revert back to an older version to recover the data because I will have added more data. 

I only realized today when my internet was down that I have no access to my notes without a GOOD connection.

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, SparksinTexas said:

I'm terrified about how much data I'm going to lose.

What makes you think you're going to lose data?    
I haven't a problem with Evernote losing data, but I always back up my data; daily incremental and weekly full

>>I have no access to my notes without a GOOD connection

Both Legacy and Version 10 support offline access to our data

It is horrific what Evernote have done. The new version is a chomped down version (all sorts of core functionality removed) and is also very buggy. Yet not one update since it was released.

Goodness knows what they were thinking

8 minutes ago, DTLow said:

What makes you think you're going to lose data?    
I haven't a problem with Evernote losing data, but I always back up my data; daily incremental and weekly full

When I revert back to the legacy version. There is no guarantee that the two systems have exactly the same database.  It was just bad timing. I was finalizing my thesis, really busy, and didn't realize this was a MAJOR overhaul of the system or I would have done a folder level backup. 

I backed up as well but that was only as a nightmare situation of me losing everything and having to import back into another program. It's not something that I want to do since I won't have my folders and will have to painstakingly reorganize years of content. 

And, of course, you can't backup this new system. 

15 hours ago, DTLow said:

Are you sure you want to use "the latest version of Evernote" (Version 10)   
It's a work-in-progress and imho not ready for general use

You might be happier using the Legacy product

OMG...  I did this to myself?   I remember a long time ago..maybe 3 years ago.., I was giving beta feedback but that ended a long time ago. Does this mean that I am still on the beta feedback program?

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, SparksinTexas said:

When I revert back to the legacy version. There is no guarantee that the two systems have exactly the same database.

Evernote is a cloud service.    
The master database is stored on the servers, and accessed by both Legacy   and Version 10

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Evernote is a cloud service.    
The master database is stored on the servers, and accessed by both Legacy   and Version 10

Thank you for the hand-holding. I've reverted back to the legacy. I'll get everything backed up and wait here until they fix all the bugs.

Honestly, I've been so busy lately, I didn't even realize it was a major change. I was just frustrated that searching for notes had gotten so hard. I kept going to my "How To" tag and searching for my tips and it kept giving me notes from every folder that I own.... and I've been on evernote for a long time. 

It was only today, when my internet went down that I took the time to realize that I wasn't in Kansas anymore.

• Haha 1

Evernote are terrible communicators. Instead of saying "you will be able to use Version 7 for the immediate short term", they should say: "until Version 10 is truly ironed out, in the opinion of our users". They are leaving paying users with a feeling of insecurity about their data -- which is the opposite of what Evernote was set up to do.

• Thanks 1
58 minutes ago, davidtderrick said:

They are leaving paying users with a feeling of insecurity about their data

I 100% agree, I simply can’t understand the company treating it’s paying users like this, it’s absolutely disgusting threatening us like this. At any time (of their choosing) they are saying they will cut us off from our own data. Can’t they understand how upsetting that is? I’ve spent 10 years putting my most important data into their previously excellent app and now this! It’s shocking. 

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, MrIllustrator said:

it’s absolutely disgusting threatening us like this. At any time (of their choosing) they are saying they will cut us off from our own data.

No threats issued. And it's not like they're going to cut you off without notice - you'll still have access through v10 even if all previous versions get suspended.

1 hour ago, davidtderrick said:

until Version 10 is truly ironed out, in the opinion of our users"

Us users have wildly different opinions most of the time.  That is never gonna happen with any company!

10 minutes ago, MrIllustrator said:

No Evernote clearly states the following:

This version is only temporarily available while we work to bring a few of the legacy features to our new apps.”

I guess I'll only temporarily be a customer then.

Folks, the problem here is that the Evernote development team unwisely chose to essentially wrap the Evernote web page in Electron. Ask them why they need code to support Xbox joysticks in Evernote. I bet they can't come up with a good reason.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, CobaltJacket said:

Ask them why they need code to support Xbox joysticks in Evernote. I bet they can't come up with a good reason.

image.gif.453e6596456c32077a177eb198c9f77e.gifWith a nod to The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

ScreenClip.png.f96c79aad6989640925dccb11180df41.png

• Haha 2
  • Level 5*
23 minutes ago, MrIllustrator said:

This version is only temporarily available while we work to bring a few of the legacy features to our new apps.”

My estimate is at least 11 months

11 minutes ago, CobaltJacket said:

I guess I'll only temporarily be a customer then.

Right, but the point is no one has to panic today

Also, before the Legacy product sunsets I will have completed switching services
I may chose Version 10; the work-in-progress will be advanced by then

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, MrIllustrator said:

how is that in any way different from what I said?

Temporarily - means 'not permanent',  and the statement is not a "threat".  They're going to do something at some point which may or may not require you to find another provider.  Hardly a crisis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Temporarily - means 'not permanent',  and the statement is not a "threat".  They're going to do something at some point which may or may not require you to find another provider.  Hardly a crisis.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

My estimate is at least 11 months

Right, but the point is no one has to panic today

Also, before the Legacy product sunsets I will have completed switching services
I may chose Version 10; the work-in-progress will be advanced by then

If the future is Electron, then there's nothing they can do to fix the situation. It's a regressive steaming pile of bugs and sloth.

and there is at least one other solution handled as evernote replacement:

Joplin - note taking and to-do application with synchronization capabilities. Also available on mobile and terminal.
https://www.electronjs.org/apps/joplin

or more famous / well known big-firm-apps like

Looks like electron needn't necessarily be hell on earth...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
18 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Out of curiosity, based on?

Caught me   🙂   
Just a wild guess - I have no insider knowledge    
I just know that Legacy is ok for the immediate future, and will continue to function after Evernote turns off sync

Also when/if Legacy sunsets, I'm prepared to move my data elsewhere.  No  panic, wailing, gnashing of teeth

• Like 1

My subscription expires in April, I’ll review my options then or when the legacy version is withdrawn, whichever comes sooner. 

At the moment Joplin looks the best of the rest.  Although OneNote is a possibility. 

I do think Evernote has treated their customers poorly. All my work reference data is in EN. They should appreciate how much time we have invested in their product and should e communicating far more clearly. I would expect a roadmap and monthly updates, otherwise they will loose even more of the goodwill of their customers. 

I hate the new version.

1. I can't get it to not check spelling. As my notes contain text in several different languages, some notes show up as basically all red. This makes it very hard to read them.

2. The choice of fonts is pathetic. The default is 'nonserif', too, which is the worst of the bunch. No, forget that, Mono is.

3. I want my tabs back!

And I'm going back to the Legacy version. If these defects aren't fixed by the time the old version is no longer supported, I shall be moving on to another App altogether.

Having terrible problems on Mac version. Creating a new note is bringing up a blank window. Cannot type, cannot add anything. Just freezes that way. Reinstalled app, and now cannot sketch with my Wacom tablet. I came back as a paying member because I thought there were huge strides in improvements – but this is ridiculous. Having same kinds of troubles on my iPad version with annotations. Seriously, these were public releases? Soooooo disappointed. What a waste of my time.

• Like 1

I cannot speak to any of the underlying reasons or decisions made regarding this game-changing release.  What I can say is:  It is now so slow and clunky as to be practically unusable.  I use a Premium version for my business and since I’m on iPad 95% of the time, I can’t see a way to be “running the older version.”  A few nice minor features were added; other, more important ones were lost (ie: simplify formatting).  But the overall usability has suffered:  It is slow, slow, slow, slow, slow.

1 minute ago, davidtderrick said:

It's simple. There have always been 2 tiers. They should offer this new version as the totally free one. And the Legacy version as the one we pay for. And in present circumstances, I think we'd even accept a hefty price hike.

So the price for being a free user is that you get a buggy and bloated experience with less fidelity?

Have you guys seen Evernote's CEO's response to the version 10 backlash? https://evernote.com/blog/state-of-the-product/

We can see what's slated for future releases here: https://help.evernote.com/hc/articles/360058361833 (not that I care bc for now I'll be using Legacy)

Here are quotes I find important: 

But possibly more controversial was our decision to roll out the new Mac and Windows apps while still missing features used by some of our most intensive customers. We believed this was the right path because Mac and Windows users dependent on missing features could continue to use (and reinstall if necessary) their legacy Evernote Mac or Windows client. Meanwhile, getting the new apps into people’s hands now—even if they only met the needs of 90 percent of our customers—opened up our ability to iterate quickly, so we could work through the backlog of rebuilding previously available features and make progress on new features to come. 

In retrospect, I think we went wrong in failing to set proper expectations with our power users in advance of these releases. If we had increased communication to help our most intensive users evaluate up front whether the new Windows or Mac release was ready for them, I believe we could have avoided much of the dislocation they experienced on exploring the new apps. Nonetheless, launching the new clients into market has enabled us to increase release velocity significantly over the last several months, so we still believe that we are on the right path...

Users who have reverted to the legacy Mac or Windows versions of Evernote want us to fill the gap of missing features. On the other hand, the majority of Evernote’s customers are looking forward to new capabilities. Both needs are real, so expect us to pursue both in parallel, taking advantage of our new, higher velocity release cycle...

It is clear that we still have work to do before our new apps will delight everyone. But it is also true that many of our customers are already finding great success with these apps, as we can see in improved product engagement metrics measured across millions of users. For instance, across the new apps customers are creating more notes and are more likely to share or tag notes than they are in the legacy clients. So while our work is not done, our direction is clear.

The positives: 

• They can ship improvements faster
  • They're listening to feedback
  • They're using product engagement metrics (real data not random whims) to guide their decisions

The bs

• They're basically admitting 10% of users are using the Legacy version. I don't know why they call that 10% "power" users, or the "most intensive" users. I've seen complaints from people who use Evernote just for recipes and were upset that they couldn't simplify formatting or clip content any more. And I bet more people would use Legacy if they knew about it. 
  • They admitted the new release was extremely buggy, but believe releasing a buggy product with missing features was the right decision bc they knew most people wouldn't complain and they wanted to use users as guinea pigs. Or officially, bc they could ship future fixes and bc "power" users could revert to the older version while they work on adding missing features. Well, maybe they're right that the new version will attract more new users, and they have to force changes, particularly UI, on users. But version 10 was extremely buggy, and there's no excuse for releasing something so buggy. There's no reason they couldn't have waited a few more months to iron out major bugs. I don't believe they didn't know of those bugs. I noticed them as soon as I started using it, plus there were reports from beta users. So yeah, no excuses for shipping such an incomplete release.
  • Like 2
On 12/13/2020 at 3:25 AM, Bryanne said:

To be fair, it was a good letter.

The statement by Ian Small gave no timelines, to commit himself how long the Legacy Version can be used at least. For someone who has to plan switching his notes to a different platform, I would not call it a good letter. It was an imprecise letter.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Rainer Winkler said:

The statement by Ian Small gave no timelines, to commit himself how long the Legacy Version can be used at least. For someone who has to plan switching his notes to a different platform, I would not call it a good letter. It was an imprecise letter.

Interestingly,  in a different interview,  Ian Small suggested that they have no plan for this current venture - presumably they're purely reacting to events...

How can removing the option of having several windows open at the same time be a good idea?!!! I'm uninstalling the latest version and going back to the previous one until new releases again allow for having multiple Evernote windows opened simultaneously. 

On 10/8/2020 at 3:10 AM, Paul A. said:

I need more time to play with version 10.0.10. There is lots to like, but I am astonished at some of the design decisions. Here's one quick example:

image.thumb.png.ddb0f08b822b81d46beb5757d373e468.png

Btw, just in the time it took me annotate the above image I ran into a bug three times where it reverted a change I made to one of my comments every time I tried to open the image to copy and paste it into the forum.

Agree that search is less intuitive and "harder to do" than it used to be. Search is probably the most important feature of evernote second to creating a note maybe. A whole top bar should be devoted to searching for notes and the search text automatically highlighted in the notes that match (as it currently does) so I can quickly flick through results and then access/edit the one I want. Perhaps a big green + on left of the search in case you want to create a new note. I'd remove the whole lefthand black tab or make it optional. I'd rather just see the notes sidebar filtered by the search term (on the fly not after pressing return and it should autocomplete terms based on previous searches) or just all notes if no search term provided. Also for the last few months I've also had to restart evernote if I've left it open for a long while, otherwise I have blank notes (but the title works for whatever reason).

• Like 1