Hate the new Evernote

It is horrific what Evernote have done. The new version is a chomped down version (all sorts of core functionality removed) and is also very buggy. Yet not one update since it was released.

Goodness knows what they were thinking

8 minutes ago, DTLow said:

What makes you think you're going to lose data?    
I haven't a problem with Evernote losing data, but I always back up my data; daily incremental and weekly full

When I revert back to the legacy version. There is no guarantee that the two systems have exactly the same database.  It was just bad timing. I was finalizing my thesis, really busy, and didn't realize this was a MAJOR overhaul of the system or I would have done a folder level backup. 

I backed up as well but that was only as a nightmare situation of me losing everything and having to import back into another program. It's not something that I want to do since I won't have my folders and will have to painstakingly reorganize years of content. 

And, of course, you can't backup this new system. 

15 hours ago, DTLow said:

Are you sure you want to use "the latest version of Evernote" (Version 10)   
It's a work-in-progress and imho not ready for general use

You might be happier using the Legacy product

OMG...  I did this to myself?   I remember a long time ago..maybe 3 years ago.., I was giving beta feedback but that ended a long time ago. Does this mean that I am still on the beta feedback program?

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, SparksinTexas said:

When I revert back to the legacy version. There is no guarantee that the two systems have exactly the same database.

Evernote is a cloud service.    
The master database is stored on the servers, and accessed by both Legacy   and Version 10

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Evernote is a cloud service.    
The master database is stored on the servers, and accessed by both Legacy   and Version 10

Thank you for the hand-holding. I've reverted back to the legacy. I'll get everything backed up and wait here until they fix all the bugs.

Honestly, I've been so busy lately, I didn't even realize it was a major change. I was just frustrated that searching for notes had gotten so hard. I kept going to my "How To" tag and searching for my tips and it kept giving me notes from every folder that I own.... and I've been on evernote for a long time. 

It was only today, when my internet went down that I took the time to realize that I wasn't in Kansas anymore.

• Haha 1

Evernote are terrible communicators. Instead of saying "you will be able to use Version 7 for the immediate short term", they should say: "until Version 10 is truly ironed out, in the opinion of our users". They are leaving paying users with a feeling of insecurity about their data -- which is the opposite of what Evernote was set up to do.

• Thanks 1
58 minutes ago, davidtderrick said:

They are leaving paying users with a feeling of insecurity about their data

I 100% agree, I simply can’t understand the company treating it’s paying users like this, it’s absolutely disgusting threatening us like this. At any time (of their choosing) they are saying they will cut us off from our own data. Can’t they understand how upsetting that is? I’ve spent 10 years putting my most important data into their previously excellent app and now this! It’s shocking. 

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, MrIllustrator said:

it’s absolutely disgusting threatening us like this. At any time (of their choosing) they are saying they will cut us off from our own data.

No threats issued. And it's not like they're going to cut you off without notice - you'll still have access through v10 even if all previous versions get suspended.

1 hour ago, davidtderrick said:

until Version 10 is truly ironed out, in the opinion of our users"

Us users have wildly different opinions most of the time.  That is never gonna happen with any company!

No Evernote clearly states the following:

This version is only temporarily available while we work to bring a few of the legacy features to our new apps.”

how is that in any way different from what I said? url https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

temporarily available is in no way a reassuring statement to their users is it. That’s pull the plug at any moment. This is the original statement that is still their only statement, up on the internet, that I find appalling under these exceptional circumstances.  I do not find this reassuring in my wildest imagination. 
key words if they need pointing out: “temporarily available” and “a few of the legacy features”. 
what could make that statement worse?

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, MrIllustrator said:

No Evernote clearly states the following:

This version is only temporarily available while we work to bring a few of the legacy features to our new apps.”

I guess I'll only temporarily be a customer then.

Folks, the problem here is that the Evernote development team unwisely chose to essentially wrap the Evernote web page in Electron. Ask them why they need code to support Xbox joysticks in Evernote. I bet they can't come up with a good reason.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, CobaltJacket said:

Ask them why they need code to support Xbox joysticks in Evernote. I bet they can't come up with a good reason.

image.gif.453e6596456c32077a177eb198c9f77e.gifWith a nod to The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

ScreenClip.png.f96c79aad6989640925dccb11180df41.png

• Haha 2
  • Level 5*
23 minutes ago, MrIllustrator said:

My estimate is at least 11 months

11 minutes ago, CobaltJacket said:

I guess I'll only temporarily be a customer then.

Right, but the point is no one has to panic today

Also, before the Legacy product sunsets I will have completed switching services
I may chose Version 10; the work-in-progress will be advanced by then

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, MrIllustrator said:

how is that in any way different from what I said?

Temporarily - means 'not permanent',  and the statement is not a "threat".  They're going to do something at some point which may or may not require you to find another provider.  Hardly a crisis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Temporarily - means 'not permanent',  and the statement is not a "threat".  They're going to do something at some point which may or may not require you to find another provider.  Hardly a crisis.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

My estimate is at least 11 months

Right, but the point is no one has to panic today

Also, before the Legacy product sunsets I will have completed switching services
I may chose Version 10; the work-in-progress will be advanced by then

If the future is Electron, then there's nothing they can do to fix the situation. It's a regressive steaming pile of bugs and sloth.

On 11/28/2020 at 3:27 PM, ek12 said:

@Piotas curious what made you choose Joplin over Devonthink?  In my testing it looks like Devonthink handles those 3 Joplin objections.  

I do not use Apple ecosystem, I am Microsoft/Google user. Deveon is Apple-exclusive.

• Like 2

and there is at least one other solution handled as evernote replacement:

Joplin - note taking and to-do application with synchronization capabilities. Also available on mobile and terminal.
https://www.electronjs.org/apps/joplin

or more famous / well known big-firm-apps like

Looks like electron needn't necessarily be hell on earth...

• Like 1

I am a writer and researcher who went all in on this platform 5 years ago, and whose careful tagging and filing over that time has been rendered unusable by this latest version. This actually affects my livelihood.

I have about 20,000 notes that represent five years of careful tagging. I use tags daily to cross-reference my research to write content.

With the new version, that doesn't allow for more than one main window, and limits open windows to 20, my efforts are totally wasted. v. 7.14 was totally stable, usable, fast, and worked well.

This is the first time in half a decade that I have considered moving to another platform.

Not to mention that this version is unstable and many of the windows I open are blank.

Is it possible not to use this latest version?

• Like 5
2 hours ago, ELeatherwood said:

Is it possible not to use this latest version?

Yes, you can install what they're calling "Legacy" - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

Note that it's effectively unsupported however: 

There will be no future updates or bug fixes in older versions of Evernote, including Evernote Legacy. If you are having trouble with this app, our Support team may recommend that you update Evernote to the newest version.

Big Trev, thank you for that pointer, so far so good with Evernote Legacy.

I created this account just to complain that the new Evernote is slow slow slow. So slow it gets in the way of my work.

I'm not even that fussed about all the featuritis, useless distractions and so on except it's likely these are contributing to the slowdown. I hope the situation improves before legacy inevitably stops working and I have to go back to this.... "thing" they are calling Evernote.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Product Manager responsible for this update should be fired. Really. Did he or she ever use Evernote?

I just needed to create a note and tag it. Got so irritated that I ended up here complaining... 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
18 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Out of curiosity, based on?

Caught me   🙂   
Just a wild guess - I have no insider knowledge    
I just know that Legacy is ok for the immediate future, and will continue to function after Evernote turns off sync

Also when/if Legacy sunsets, I'm prepared to move my data elsewhere.  No  panic, wailing, gnashing of teeth

• Like 1

My subscription expires in April, I’ll review my options then or when the legacy version is withdrawn, whichever comes sooner. 

At the moment Joplin looks the best of the rest.  Although OneNote is a possibility. 

I do think Evernote has treated their customers poorly. All my work reference data is in EN. They should appreciate how much time we have invested in their product and should e communicating far more clearly. I would expect a roadmap and monthly updates, otherwise they will loose even more of the goodwill of their customers. 

I use paid version of Evernote and the new version on Mac sucks! Evernote killed a number of useful keyboard shortcuts. Go to notebook is "not available". Jump to search bar is "not available". WTH?!?!?! When I click on Help in the title bar, a standard feature "called" (so you can quickly go to specific command) is gone. A productivity app turned into garbage with pretty interface. Does anyone know how to downgrade without too much hassle?

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Big Trev said:

It's useless as:

There will be no future updates or bug fixes in older versions of Evernote, including Evernote Legacy. If you are having trouble with this app, our Support team may recommend that you update Evernote to the newest version.

If you will run into any issues or anything, you are on your own. You contact support and they will tell you legacy app is no longer supported. In that case, why should I pay £40 a year to fix bugs myself?

EDIT: I do not mean to call your help useless. Apologies if it came out like that. I am calling Evernote treatment of Legacy app as useless. Sure, they offer Legacy app but at the same time they blank out tell you it is not supported and if you contact support, they will tell you to upgrade.

Edited by AlexKuc
edit
10 minutes ago, AlexKuc said:

If you will run into any issues or anything, you are on your own. You contact support and they will tell you legacy app is no longer supported. In that case, why should I pay £40 a year to fix bugs myself?

Yep, that's correct.  I'm not saying you should continue to pay, I'm working on an exit strategy myself.

(edit) - No worries.  You're in a similar boat to me - I didn't come onto these forums until v10.  Yeah, Legacy is a dead-end and I think is only useful to limp along while looking for alternatives.  

Edited by Big Trev
  • Like 3

I truly don’t get the hysteria around the legacy app which exists in these forums. What is this mysterious bug people speak of that means you need support and won’t get it? It’s stable. It’s getting exhausting now cause here’s the thing - if you want to leave, that is your choice, no judgement, we are customers and have the right to use what we feel suits us best. 

• Like 6

This is my first post in this forum! Imagine I was using evernote from 2012 and never need to come here, now I just say omg! What's wrong with you ??? It's the crapiest version of evernote I ever seen! Evan smallest and most basic features are changed! Even RTL! I used to write everything in English and Parsian, now there is no rtl at all! all of my previous notes are crappy and wrong orientated. it's useless. You can not even change the time of the notes in one click and colors are gone !!!
After all of this years I'm looking to leave this software. 

How should I export all of my notes to onenoe? anyone knows?  

R.I.P old everonte. we loved you for ever...

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

Slow 

Slooowww 

Sloooowwww 

Unusable.

I don't want to migrate to One Note. I live EN. Paid customer since '12. But this is unusable. Using Legacy to give it time but how much is enough?

EN has to rectify this within a few weeks or I'm gone and it sounds like many others are as well.

Edited by MB11
added sentence
  • Like 5
59 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

I truly don’t get the hysteria around the legacy app which exists in these forums. What is this mysterious bug people speak of that means you need support and won’t get it? It’s stable. It’s getting exhausting now cause here’s the thing - if you want to leave, that is your choice, no judgement, we are customers and have the right to use what we feel suits us best. 

I believe the reason is the emotional bond many folks have / had with evernote. the frustration we all hear - besides the legitimate criticism of the stripping of many features, the general sluggishness of the V10 apps and the communications ***** up around it - is part of a grieving process and a feeling of loss. I know this clearly sounds odd for a piece of software / a service, but it also shows just how dangerous evernote's ***** up could be to its economic base. only time will truly tell, but what's been going on here since the release of V10 is troubling to say the least...

• Like 3
7 hours ago, WilliamL said:

I truly don’t get the hysteria around the legacy app which exists in these forums. What is this mysterious bug people speak of that means you need support and won’t get it? It’s stable.

I don't see much hysteria but I do see a tsunami of ****** off customers. It's true that the legacy version is stable. It's also true that EN management has deliberately chosen to not guarantee that stable version will work for a set period of time. Why? It's clear to everyone that v10 was simply not ready for release. Worse, people who've tried the pretty but barely functional v10 have lost hours/days of work from changes to their notes thanks the new software. There's no good reason that should have happened.

And I wouldn't describe the other emotion as hysteria so much as desperation -- people realizing that documents they've worked hard to produce could be damaged or even lost. The damage to their notes and work flow that some people are seeing could be inflicted on everyone at the whim of EN management. Well, maybe whim is the wrong word. There was presumably a good reason in the eyes of EN management. Unfortunately it was just one that had little to do with serving their existing customers. From the outside it strikes this observer as the behavior of a management team trying to save a company that's in decline. So yeah, some people's dismay is quickly morphing into the recurring theme of "Abandon ship!"

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
12 hours ago, WilliamL said:

I'm not seeing any hysteria.  For mine, I'm just pointing out what software support means when people think they'll be able to continue running Legacy indefinitely.

• Level 5*

A lot of drama for sure.

Issue for me is if V10 never achieves enough functional parity (as defined for each of us) with 6.25.1, including speed.  Personally I can use 6.25.1 for some time without application support.  I mean we've been doing it for the last two to three years.  It's when 6.25.1 no longer syncs that the problem appears. 

In the world of belts and suspenders it makes me wonder if an "air gapped" or non synching already signed into EN PC makes any sense.  That is if the market is still lacking a 6.25.1 alternative.  Definite downsides with no more multi device support or history and one would have to do their own backups.  But it would preserve work flow for a bit longer.  Now that's some drama.  ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 11/26/2020 at 3:29 PM, ripwit said:

I've moved to Joplin Notes (https://joplinapp.org/). It has a good import from ENEX. Open source, free, active community.

Main reason for me was not trusting an external service (perhaps especially Evernote) with my data.

With Joplin you can decide where to store your notes DB, cloud and/or local. Encrypted and end-to-end.

Works on Windows, IOS, Android. No web interface since there is no server.

I don't know why some companies decide to shoot themselves in the proverbial foot (or other body part). EN apparently did.

Joplin’s data is not encrypted on the desktop. Only on mobile. (It can be encrypted if you put it in e.g. a Veracrypt container).

When I tested it there wasn’t a way to search inside a note. Search would bring you a list of notes but then you had to find that text in each of them by scrolling. This may have been fixed since.

On iOS, Joplin did not add itself to the Share functionality. You could not send e.g. a screenshot to Joplin - you had to save it first, open Joplin, then browse and add as an attachment, very time consuming and inefficient.

Also, on iOS, it can only export plain text markdown files. All images are lost. If I want to send a note to someone, and it contains images, I can’t (perhaps from the desktop version but I use iPhone and iPad 90% of time).

Overall, unless you mainly use plaintext notes and don’t mind Markdown, it’s not a good Evernote replacement - too limited. This is of course just one opinion.

• Like 3

I'm good with the new look and all that. I get it. Learned to adapt to the update quickly. 

But you removed links to folders. That was my saving grace for my work flow. Now all my folder links does nothing and you cant even add them in. 

Please put that on the todo list in the next patch.

- From a paying customer. 

On 12/2/2020 at 4:13 AM, MB11 said:

Slow 

Slooowww 

Sloooowwww 

Unusable.

I don't want to migrate to One Note. I live EN. Paid customer since '12. But this is unusable. Using Legacy to give it time but how much is enough?

EN has to rectify this within a few weeks or I'm gone and it sounds like many others are as well.

OMG the new version stinks and is unusable for my workflow,  I'm concerned that legacy support will die off... what the alternatives?  One note?  this is not good.  

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Wanderling Reborn said:

When I tested it there wasn’t a way to search inside a note. Search would bring you a list of notes but then you had to find that text in each of them by scrolling. This may have been fixed since.

Yes, search is already fixed or your issues are iPhone-specific. It highlights words in current note OR folder/ALL

Sharing a note to a non-Joplin user? I would use HTML export instead.

BTW I just tried export of a note with pics in 1.4.19 and output DOES contains pics via resource subdir, referred by MarkDown file.

2020-12-03 23_13_34-Joplin.png

3 hours ago, Frankie1972 said:

OMG the new version stinks and is unusable for my workflow,  I'm concerned that legacy support will die off... what the alternatives?  One note?  this is not good.  

I've been pointing people to 25guy's list of Evernote alternatives. The short answer for those happy to live in Apple's walled garden seems to be DEVONthink. For the rest of us our best choice greatly depends on the features we consider essential to our workflow. My use of tags and text formatting is rudimentary when compared to the way others here use EN, for example, so Joplin is at the top of my evaluation list. Others in this thread have found Joplin's lack of <X> to be a deal breaker and so are looking at other options. I have yet to hear of an alternative to EN that won't take some adjustment and/or compromise by the user.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Piotas said:

Yes, search is already fixed or your issues are iPhone-specific. It highlights words in current note OR folder/ALL

Sharing a note to a non-Joplin user? I would use HTML export instead.

BTW I just tried export of a note with pics in 1.4.19 and output DOES contains pics via resource subdir, referred by MarkDown file.

2020-12-03 23_13_34-Joplin.png

Just downloaded the latest Joplin for iOS.
1. Yes, the higligthing of searched word is fixed. 
2. No, it’s still only exporting plaintext, dropping any attachments or pictures.

So, the iOS version is still severely limited.

Sharing HTML with other people is not going to work for e.g. meeting notes. But I assume the desktop version supports PDF export ?

3 hours ago, rts said:

I've been pointing people to 25guy's list of Evernote alternatives. The short answer for those happy to live in Apple's walled garden seems to be DEVONthink. For the rest of us our best choice greatly depends on the features we consider essential to our workflow. My use of tags and text formatting is rudimentary when compared to the way others here use EN, for example, so Joplin is at the top of my evaluation list. Others in this thread have found Joplin's lack of <X> to be a deal breaker and so are looking at other options. I have yet to hear of an alternative to EN that won't take some adjustment and/or compromise by the user.

Then it wouldn’t be an alternative, would it ?

My wife still uses EN because she’s so accustomed to it. I use ON because it’s unmatched for work notes if your company is on Exchange, and it only makes sense to use the same workflow for personal notes. In the end, any decent system will work, but it requires adjustment.

3 hours ago, Wanderling Reborn said:

Sharing HTML with other people is not going to work for e.g. meeting notes. But I assume the desktop version supports PDF export ?

yes, desktop app exports nicely formatted PDF 1.4 with all pics embedded

• Like 1

Why change for the sake of change, which this ‘update’ appears to be.  Seems to be a complication of life these days where too many dumb decisions are made in the name of so called progress.  It’s a complete stuff up and ruined Evernote.  I have lost valuable information, just disappeared.  It’s now slow, cumbersome to clip to and a total waste of space as far as I am concerned.  Anyone who finds a product to switch to I would love to hear about it.  

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Frankie1972 said:

I'm looking at Nimbus note --- it looks promising not sure if it's better

You might want to look around the forums here a bit.  Their apps struggle with any volume and there have been a lot of question marks over their privacy policy. 

I hate this version, too!  Some of the things I'm used to are no longer available such as the clipper.  It takes a screen shot and then converts it to a note.  No way to close the window that pops up.  It used to be so simple!  Things that used to take one click are now more difficult and take more clicks even if you can find it.  Does Evernote make these changes just to justify someone's job or to charge more money?  I HATE this version!

• Like 3

So, I went through the list of alternatives. The list is good, the ratings all seem extremely subjective. Basically, the ratings are based on author's personal preferences.

There's simply no way Joplin should be rated above Onenote. It has no OCR, no handwriting, it must be put inside an encrypted container if you want to protect your data on desktop, and its iOS version is very severely crippled. There's much more, I won't get into everything. This is not to say that it won't work for some people, but I would never rate it that high. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, Wanderling Reborn said:

So, I went through the list of alternatives. The list is good, the ratings all seem extremely subjective. Basically, the ratings are based on author's personal preferences.

There's simply no way Joplin should be rated above Onenote. It has no OCR, no handwriting, it must be put inside an encrypted container if you want to protect your data on desktop, and its iOS version is very severely crippled. There's much more, I won't get into everything. This is not to say that it won't work for some people, but I would never rate it that high. 

I’ve glanced at the list but never paid much attention to it - didn’t realise Joplin was rated higher than OneNote! That’s utterly astonishing! I cant think of one thing Joplin actually does well, it’s a dated mess of an app in my view that’s going no where. How that ranks above OneNote, I don’t have the words for that. 

1 hour ago, Wanderling Reborn said:

I wholeheartedly agree. I only  refer people to that list so they know some alternatives exist, not to endorse particular choices or to pretend that 25guy's criteria are definitive. A program might tick a feature box but that's no guarantee that the feature has been implemented well after all. And while I personally have a lingering fondness for programmable folding editors (Leo, Org-Mode) and simple tools like TiddlyWiki I would never seriously suggest them to people as replacements for EN. (Indeed, I would strongly prefer to just keep using EN Legacy, but that option isn't one I have much control over.)

I suspect there are some EN users in this thread who have important criteria that 25guy didn't really consider and vice versa. For example before this v10 debacle the importance of local hosting wasn't on my radar screen -- now it's a deal breaker at the top of my list. There are also a number of features such as tag hierarchies and sharing notebooks across a team that aren't relevant to my workflow but I'm well aware that other people consider them vital. Many of us are being forced to make unpleasant choices.

I hate the new version.

1. I can't get it to not check spelling. As my notes contain text in several different languages, some notes show up as basically all red. This makes it very hard to read them.

2. The choice of fonts is pathetic. The default is 'nonserif', too, which is the worst of the bunch. No, forget that, Mono is.

3. I want my tabs back!

And I'm going back to the Legacy version. If these defects aren't fixed by the time the old version is no longer supported, I shall be moving on to another App altogether.

I will remain on a legacy version until I can find an alternative to Evernote or there are enough improvements to v10 to allow me to continue with my current workflow.  Creating and organizing nested tags is one of the most important features for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
On 12/1/2020 at 11:45 PM, WilliamL said:

I don't know if hysteria is the right word, but there is something wrong with the general user-base mentality regarding the Version 10 product

I'm a long time Legacy product user (Mac), with no issues    
I'm aware there's a Version 10 product;  it's a work-in-progress and I won't be seriously reviewing it until the work is completed

The posts I'm seeing are not objective feedback of the Version 10 product    
It seems to by hysteria given these users can easily revert to the Legacy product (Mac/Windows)

• Like 1

I don’t know if you heard but we have all been threatened by Evernote with them withdrawing the classic version at literally any time now, breaking its sync so it doesn’t matter about your backups, they would be useless. I don’t call that hysteria when you spent the last 10 years pouring your life into the program, only to be told ***** you, you mean nothing to us, your data is worthless, all the time you spent putting that data into our product counts for nothing. The new version is totally unusable and they have been working on this rubbish for the last 2 and a half years. For gods sake, the CEO doesn’t even understand tags. He laughed about them. Does this and all the other horror stories really give you confidence they can fix this because for me it doesn’t. I’ve never seen anything like this before. My life is in that program so that is why I am passionate, like many others. Though I do of course understand that some people just use Evernote for their shopping list. 

• Like 7
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, MrIllustrator said:

so it doesn’t matter about your backups, they would be useless

I have a full offline copy of data on my Mac
The data is backed up weekly using the export feature in html format    
This data is not useless; it's functional 

>>withdrawing the classic version

This would be the Evernote Legacy product.    
The app software is installed on my Mac and will continue to function without Evernote support

>>The new version is totally unusable

This would be the Version 10 product; a work-in-progress     
imho It's not ready for general use.    
In their release notes, Evernote advises   If your workflow depends on these features, you can continue to use our legacy apps.

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

I have a full offline copy of data on my Mac
The data is backed up weekly using the export feature in html format    
This data is not useless; it's functional 

>>withdrawing the classic version

This would be the Evernote Legacy product.    
The app software is installed on my Mac and will continue to function without Evernote support

In their release notes, Evernote advises   If your workflow depends on these features, you can continue to use our legacy apps.

For how long ? Are they making a commitment to maintaining the legacy version (and this means fixing any incompatibilities with future OS releases) until there’s parity with the current version ?  Is there a sunset date ?     

Our notes (my wife’s, mainly) are very simple and mainly used on iOS, so the redesign isn’t a big deal for us. But it does suck, to be honest.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, Wanderling Reborn said:

Is there a sunset date ?  

No sunset date specified for the Legacy product.    
I just know it's working well in the  present, and immediate future 

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

Yeah, the majority of the posts in this thread are assessing v10 as "not ready". The company could have avoided a lot of drama and ill will if they had offered it as a preview/testing/beta release. Instead the email I got announced "The new Evernote for Windows has landed." There were no disclaimers. As the poet noted, "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away." To which I'd simply add that once lost, customer trust is not easily regained.

I think your practice of regular offline backups is wise. So is holding back on client updates until some of the dust has settled. And you're obviously entitled to your own take on the current situation. I just think we've reached different conclusions on the urgency of having an exit strategy. EN customers making plans based on the assumptions that v10 will ever be "complete" or that Legacy syncing will work indefinitely are entirely too trusting in my view.

• Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, DTLow said:

No sunset date specified for the Legacy product.    
I just know it's working well in the  present, and immediate future 

I'm impressed with your confidence in a company that has shown on more than one occasion in the past that they do not always have the best interests of their customers in mind when they make decisions.

I've been a heavy user of a paid Evernote account for about 10 years.  I rely on this product, that I am happy to pay for in my day-to-day work.  I am a busy person and Evernote is a critical part of my workflow.  When I am presented with a notice that "The new Evernote has arrived" and really coerced into installing it, and then after trying to use it for a day finding it absolutely unusable - that to me is a giant red flag that foretells bad things about the future of a product that is very ingrained into my productivity workflow.  I would expect a company that is looking out for me to be a little more careful about coercing me into installing a vastly inferior product that replaces what has generally worked well for over a decade on multiple platforms.

I know, I can, and will use the legacy product, but they are making it very clear that this is for limited time use - the icon is even now grey which indicates to me that this thing is on borrowed time.  You are on a Mac, so maybe the new app works better there, but on Windows, it is terrible both visually and functionally. (have they even tested this on a PC?)  

I am a product manager for a software company, and if our company put out something this raw, someone would be in big trouble and our customers would crucify us.  I am not hysterical as someone accused those of us complaining - I am simply coming to the conclusion that Evernote is heading in a direction that is not compatible with my needs.  This has forced me to look at some alternatives, and not having done that for quite some time, I am finding some very interesting replacements (Amplenote and Nimble Notes to name just two).  My Evernote subscription runs through next July, so I have some time to decide what to do, but I am not going to wait around for EN to pull the rug out from what I need.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
11 minutes ago, NorcalScott said:

I'm impressed with your confidence in a company

I didn't say I have confidence (or trust)

The product (Legacy) is working well for me for the immediate feature
However I'm prepared when this product/service is no longer the best solution for me
I have my data backed up and my exit strategy prepared

• Like 1

it

23 hours ago, WilliamL said:

I’ve glanced at the list but never paid much attention to it - didn’t realise Joplin was rated higher than OneNote! That’s utterly astonishing! I cant think of one thing Joplin actually does well, it’s a dated mess of an app in my view that’s going no where. How that ranks above OneNote, I don’t have the words for that. 

You compare open source project with billion-dollar software giant?

Microsoft already tried to kill OneNote 2016 and replace it with OneNote for Windows 10 - a dumbed down, online-only simplified app.

There is clear analogy between Evernote v6 and v10.

Only recently Microsoft decided to continue support OneNote 2016 as part of Office 365 subscription, because, well, new version suck ass - just like Evernote v10.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

However I'm prepared when this product/service is no longer the best solution for me

I have my data backed up and my exit strategy prepared

with you being one of the veterans around this forum, would you be willing to share what your exit strategy is should you decide to execute on it?

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, toao said:

with you being one of the veterans around this forum, would you be willing to share what your exit strategy is should you decide to execute on it?

As I said, I have my data backed up; a full export in html format, scheduled weekly on my Mac   
Mac's index the content so text search is available   
With no other action, I'm able to access my data

I've made no decision on an Evernote alternative, but I do keep an eye on the candidates   
Some offer a direct import from Evernote

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, toao said:

Interested as well! Cause I cannot work properly now :)
And my subscription is being renewed soon :D so it would be about time to change

9 minutes ago, DTLow said:

As I said, I have my data backed up; a full export in html format, scheduled weekly on my Mac   
Mac's index the content so text search is available   
With no other action, I'm able to access my data

I've made no decision on an Evernote alternative, but I do keep an eye on the candidates   
Some offer a direct import from Evernote

Does the HTML export keep the tag information?

I was exporting via the Export tool from EN and it only gave me the xml option to keep tags.
Does it export the stacks and notebooks as well by the way?

• Like 1
Just now, LynuSBell said:

I was exporting via the Export tool from EN and it only gave me the xml option to keep tags.

HTML backup of old Evernote data is as usable as folder full of Word documents. No more tags, full-search or creation date-sort.

The part I am NOT ok is that Evenote with v10 as only supported solution, Evernote keeps your data hostage next day they turn off Evernote Legacy/v6 sync.

Because you simply can no longer export 40.000 notes if you are limited to 50 notes selection TOTAL.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Piotas said:

HTML backup of old Evernote data is as usable as folder full of Word documents. No more tags, full-search or creation date-sort.

The part I am NOT ok is that Evenote with v10 as only supported solution, Evernote keeps your data hostage next day they turn off Evernote Legacy/v6 sync.

Because you simply can no longer export 40.000 notes if you are limited to 50 notes selection TOTAL.

I didn't think about that... and I have quite a few things I wouldn't like to lose...
Maybe Joplin or something Open source and similar would be best, despite losing on quite nice features.

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, LynuSBell said:

Yes, HTML export stores a note's tag information (no hierarchy)1907776610_ScreenShot2020-12-05at10_18_08.png.07d6622c39520fba0fa00dbc9dbecd08.png
No, the export does not store notebook or stack information 

I append the metadata to a note's contents   1552267973_ScreenShot2020-12-05at10_13_27.png.af8405138cfd8f5d84c966918d56a110.png
I have this scripted with Applescript on a Mac

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Yes, HTML export stores a note's tag information (no hierarchy)
No, the export does not store notebook or stack information 

I append the metadata to a note's contents   
I have this scripted with Applescript on a Mac

Would you mind sharing your script? I wouldn't be able to script it myself but I might be able to adapt it to my own case if there needs adapting.

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, Piotas said:

Evernote keeps your data hostage next day they turn off Evernote Legacy/v6 sync.

We're expecting the 50 note limit to be removed
Export can be executed at the notebook level - no limit

I'm using the Legacy product (Mac) and have full export functionality - no limits
The export function still functions after "they turn off Evernote Legacy/v6 sync"

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
17 minutes ago, LynuSBell said:

Would you mind sharing your script? I wouldn't be able to script it myself but I might be able to adapt it to my own case if there needs adapting.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Piotas said:

it

Microsoft already tried to kill OneNote 2016 and replace it with OneNote for Windows 10 - a dumbed down, online-only simplified app.

Only recently Microsoft decided to continue support OneNote 2016 as part of Office 365 subscription, because, well, new version suck ass - just like Evernote v10.

I’m comparing app for app, being open source doesn’t have to mean tacky and inadequate, Ubuntu and numerous other apps show that. I have Joplin, it still has no wysiwyg editor, it’s iOS app is shocking in both capabilities and appearance. It’s not about the corp but the apps as they stand before the user and joplin needs to step up or step out in my view. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

We're expecting the 50 note limit to be removed
Export can be executed at the notebook level - no limit

I'm using the Legacy product (Mac) and have full export functionality - no limits
The export function still functions after "they turn off Evernote Legacy/v6 sync"

50 notes limit is result of design decision. Electron app with lo local backend storage (unlike Joplin, note, Joplin has Electron interface as well!) will use HUGE amount of resources to execute changes on notes.

If you don't rely on local folders (very few people do), Evernote v6 only CACHES data locally, not STORES data locally.

Export to ENEX in Evernote v6 uses online connection to cache online data to local cache.

With sync off, I expect Evernote export it will STOP working for you when you log off (on new machine etc).

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Piotas said:

If you don't rely on local folders (very few people do), Evernote v6 only CACHES data locally, not STORES data locally.
Export to ENEX in Evernote v6 uses online connection to cache online data to local cache.
With sync off, I expect Evernote export it will STOP working for you when you log off (on new machine etc).

By default, Evernote Legacy stores data locally; a giant .exb file in Windows
Export executes against the local database; not the server

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

I’m comparing app for app, being open source doesn’t have to mean tacky and inadequate, Ubuntu and numerous other apps show that. I have Joplin, it still has no wysiwyg editor, it’s iOS app is shocking in both capabilities and appearance. It’s not about the corp but the apps as they stand before the user and joplin needs to step up or step out in my view. 

It all depends on your expectations. For me Joplin, having build-in MarkDown editor and renderer, with option to use external WYSWIG editor (I use Typhora when I really need WYSWIG) provides more value than Evernote v6 where I cannot reliably remove formatting manipulate tables or strip text from table - AT ALL - beause of, limitations. With raw MarkDown editor there is NO limitation. Yes, it requires more skill, but well, we are talking about power users, right?  Evernote v10 is fine app for casual user.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

By default, Evernote Legacy stores data locally; a giant .exb file in Windows
Export executes against the local database; not the server

you are right, even Evernote Legacy uses local SQLite in EXB file, I assume I have accidentally turned on option to clear local storage so it started pulling data from internet - I will later check if it still works without internet connection (after reinstall and file copy, without logging-in).

2020-12-05 19_52_00-Double Commander 0.9.9 beta build 9478M; 2020_06_27.png

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, Piotas said:

I assume I have accidentally turned on option to clear local storage so it started pulling data from internet

That would be the Legacy "on demand sync"
It removes unused data from the local database store

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
8 minutes ago, LynuSBell said:

What comment are you referring to regarding the Backup? I see a bunch of scripts. Or did you refer me to this so that I start scripting? :D

The link was to an Append Metadata script
The automated backup script is simple
             tell application "Evernote" to  export theNotes to fileBackuphtml format HTML with tags

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The link was to an Append Metadata script
The automated backup script is simple
             tell application "Evernote" to  export theNotes to fileBackuphtml format HTML with tags

I thought it would be way more complex :D Neat! Thanks a lot

3 hours ago, Piotas said:

What's wrong with comparing software ? At the end of the day, it's only user experience that counts. Just because Joplin is open source, doesn't mean that it's providing a comparable user experience for the majority of users - there will always be some people for whom some of the features are super important.

As to Microsoft - they gave a clear timeline for Onenote 2016 being supported through November 2025. (Although it seems that they had reversed the direction altogether and once again are actively developing the desktop version, due to strong user pushback).

I really dislike Microsoft's propensity to kill or drastically change ecosystems that their users are reliant upon, and I got burned with them more than once - Windows Mobile, Wunderlist, MS Money. But they always provided an early warning, a sunset date, and a path out. So, at the very least, Evernote team should clearly communicate their plan for extending support for the legacy version - right now, they are basically avoiding commitment, which is bad from users' perspective. "We will support this version until Summer 2021" is, at least, some form of guarantee. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, DTLow said:

IT would be nice if they acknowledged this 'work in progress' mentality and allowed us to test the versions as they roll out. But I'm not willing to go through the dance of installing the new version, then reinstalling the legacy version each time. The fact that they remove the legacy app each time you install leads me to think that they believe this is a full production version, not a work in progress. 

I am a beta user for another large database app I can't mention here. I can install new versions and run them side by side until my computer blows up. If it needs to convert the db, it does so with a copy, leaving the old app and data in place. Old versions get removed only when I want them to. 

But like you, I will just use the legacy app. But instead of running it side by side with v10, I am running it side by side with the apps I am testing for my exit strategy.

I believe that Evernote will recover from this debacle, but probably not with my data and certainly not by wasting any more of my time. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I, too tried Evernote 10 and hated it. I couldn't go back to the old one fast enough. Why do they make such major changes in a well oiled machine? As an old football coach said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I was able to revert back by googling "Evernote Legacy." Evernote: please restore some of the functions you eliminated in E10!

• Like 3

Where do i start - I have ben an avid fan of Evernote and convinced my whole team to use it over the last five years !! Did the tester of this new 'supposed' software have a full lobotomy before started using this dreadful piece of the proverbial rubbish !! No cut and paste unable to save as pdf's not able to change titles do you really want me to continue ? Maybe Evernote just got too much success to care about customers and to add injury to add injury to insult when you email for support you get told 12 days + for help !! that in itself deserves your demise ! I want to rollback to a version that allows me to reagin where I was and my team to be efficient in there endeavours - not use this disgraceful non-option you have placed on me. Does anyone know how to roll back to the old software please ? RICSB - as to Evernote you deserve losing all your clients - I wont be renewing if this is how you 'care' 

Evernote's emailed response ! - I suspect 'the experiencing a higher than normal' response is a little self inflicted !! it happens when you launch disasters !

My name is Brittany, and I manage the support team here at Evernote. I wanted to let you know we are currently experiencing a higher than normal volume of requests. The average wait time for a response is currently 10-12+ days. Please know we're doing our best to get back to you as soon as possible. Here are some resources to help you in the meantime:

• Like 2
On 10/24/2020 at 5:46 AM, Everluke said:

I think it’s great. Not perfect, but still far better than OneNote etc.

the edge cases needed to go, this baselining of the product across platforms vital for the future success of the product. It will get better.

all I ever read on these forums is negativity for very specific use-cases that quite frankly don’t belong in anyone’s workflow.

I have 10000 notes is my favourite... like you even look at 5% of them. I suggest if someone has 10000 notes that relies on colour coded tags you aren’t managing your information  very well.

what if Evernote hadn’t changed and died in 3 years time as everyone moved on ... same people moaning that they didn’t develop...

Better than OneNote how? Just curious what your perspective is on this statement. Many moons ago, I switched from OneNote to Evernote, back then OneNote did not sync to the cloud, Evernote did. Very simple reason to switch. Not that I've gone back to OneNote, but, I am using it for a very specific project to see what it is like as it has been so long. Definitely things in OneNote I really do like, such as the ability to place objects side by side with different formatting, can easily drag them anyplace in the note, I really like this. Then there are things I don't like, the UI, having to Open and Close notebooks individually, I had an issue with searching awhile back that I haven't tried again.  But, compared to the new Evernote, my notes are always there no empty white note (Mac user) and it's not sluggish.  

I understand overhauling the app but when core features just don't work, well, that is a problem.

Having terrible problems on Mac version. Creating a new note is bringing up a blank window. Cannot type, cannot add anything. Just freezes that way. Reinstalled app, and now cannot sketch with my Wacom tablet. I came back as a paying member because I thought there were huge strides in improvements – but this is ridiculous. Having same kinds of troubles on my iPad version with annotations. Seriously, these were public releases? Soooooo disappointed. What a waste of my time.

• Like 1

I appreciate the new developments and Evernote keeping me up to date with the rewrite to version 10. However, the encouragement to upgrade does not clearly state that the latest version does not cover all functionality included in version 6.25. I would miss the Outlook plugin and probably even more things. A good reason not to upgrade yet. I would appreciate if you guys could be clearer about that in the communication.

I use Evernote on Windows + Android.

Joost

20 hours ago, dbvirago said:

IT would be nice if they acknowledged this 'work in progress' mentality and allowed us to test the versions as they roll out. But I'm not willing to go through the dance of installing the new version, then reinstalling the legacy version each time. The fact that they remove the legacy app each time you install leads me to think that they believe this is a full production version, not a work in progress. 

I am a beta user for another large database app I can't mention here. I can install new versions and run them side by side until my computer blows up. If it needs to convert the db, it does so with a copy, leaving the old app and data in place. Old versions get removed only when I want them to. 

But like you, I will just use the legacy app. But instead of running it side by side with v10, I am running it side by side with the apps I am testing for my exit strategy.

I believe that Evernote will recover from this debacle, but probably not with my data and certainly not by wasting any more of my time. 

What alternatives do you like the most? The incompetence of EN makes me wonder if the company is in trouble and suddenly we will all have to head for the exits. I would rather prepare now.

3 hours ago, MB11 said:

What alternatives do you like the most? The incompetence of EN makes me wonder if the company is in trouble and suddenly we will all have to head for the exits. I would rather prepare now.

I could answer that, but it wouldn't help. The alternatives all have strengths and weaknesses and which is best will depend on your specific needs and uses. None of them are Evernote and likely will never be. In some ways each is better and in others worse. So, you need to find one that hast he better things you need and the worse things you don't. I can't speak to the pure Apple offerings, some of which are lauded as great alternatives. I still think if you want to most similar UX then Nimbus is the way to go. 

If I have to leave EN, or choose to because of the current aggravation factor, that's probably where I would go as a pure data repository. However, if ClickUp improves their document storage, it could easily be an all-in-one. I have and could make Notion work, but there needs to be an easier exit strategy.

OTH, with me being on or with my laptop 90% of the time, I could always use a local, non-syncing alternative.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, RICSB said:

Where do i start - I have ben an avid fan of Evernote and convinced my whole team to use it over the last five years !! Did the tester of this new 'supposed' software have a full lobotomy before started using this dreadful piece of the proverbial rubbish !! No cut and paste unable to save as pdf's not able to change titles do you really want me to continue ? Maybe Evernote just got too much success to care about customers and to add injury to add injury to insult when you email for support you get told 12 days + for help !! that in itself deserves your demise ! I want to rollback to a version that allows me to reagin where I was and my team to be efficient in there endeavours - not use this disgraceful non-option you have placed on me. Does anyone know how to roll back to the old software please ? RICSB - as to Evernote you deserve losing all your clients - I wont be renewing if this is how you 'care' 

Evernote's emailed response ! - I suspect 'the experiencing a higher than normal' response is a little self inflicted !! it happens when you launch disasters !

My name is Brittany, and I manage the support team here at Evernote. I wanted to let you know we are currently experiencing a higher than normal volume of requests. The average wait time for a response is currently 10-12+ days. Please know we're doing our best to get back to you as soon as possible. Here are some resources to help you in the meantime:

Here you go:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote