We apologize for the inconvenience, but chat support is currently unavailable. Please feel free to submit an email ticket or reach out at discussion.evernote.com. Thank you for understanding. ×
gazumped

The new Evernote for Windows client - no longer supports...

Idea

Hi.  First  comment - you may want to change the tag line for this section:  "If you have feedback related to the older version of Evernote for Windows, post here!" (my emphasis) - I think you mean the new one?

Some questions arise before I update my current version 6.25...

1. Is there a "step back" option? - i.e. once updated would I be able to revert to my 6.25 version if the new app is not performing well?
  2. Local (unsynced) notes are no longer supported - do you still store local copies of the notes synced with the server database?  I ask because I use Backupery's app to export my notes to ENEX on a daily basis and I'd like to continue to do so after updating.
  3. For anyone wary of updating to the new version - how long do you forsee support for legacy versions continuing?  Will there still be bug fixes and updates for those versions?
  4. Presentation Mode is something which is very useful for academic users - is there any prospect of this coming back / some sort of integration with a presentation app?
  5. Another service I use is Postach.io - will that app continue to be able to convert my notes to a blog?

I can work around the Outlook Clipper no longer being supported (there's still email!) but the list of unsupported features in the help page says (again my emphasis)

his is not an exhaustive list of features, but the most notable include:

• Local notebooks
  • Presentation mode
  • Context
  • ScanSnap Evernote Edition firmware and software
  • Outlook clipper

Can we expect an exhaustive list of 'no longer supported' features anytime soon?

• Like 9

Without the Import Folders and the Outlook App, I am out on any new version.   These are critical functions for me and without them, 75% of the reason I love Evernote are gone.  Ill be staying with version 6 until these missing critical features are incorporated.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I agree that it's time to start looking at alternative options to Evernote. The Evernote management is utterly clueless and if they're happy to release a beta release to the public that is objectively worse than the previous version, then there is no reason to hold out confidence and remain with this product.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Hi @Shane D. - phew.  Thanks - had a brief moment there where I thought a bad year was going to get much worse! 

When you get time,  can someone address my other questions about the new app though please?  I can install it and test things out,  but you'll save me some time if I know more about what to expect...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This issue relates to the brandnew article "What's new in Evernote for Windows 10.0.10 – Evernote Help & Learning" (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047889234, 2020-10-07)

not quite clear for me is which shortcuts, that may be used in our workflows, are no longer supported or just not implemented yet.

There are quite a lot of keyboard shortcuts listed in the actual article "Keyboard shortcuts in Evernote for Windows (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209004807), that are listed as "Not available" in the new version:

This is (state of 2020-10-07):

• all former global keyboard shorcuts (system-wide when working in any application - provided Evernote is running)
  • Application-wide keyboard shorcuts
    • Jump to notebook - Older versions: Ctrl + Shift + N
    • Print Preview - Older versions: Ctrl + Shift + P
    • Switch to another user - Older versions: Ctrl + Alt + A
    • Show/Hide Note List - Older versions: F11
    • Show/Hide Note View - Older versions: Ctrl + F11
    • Show/Hide Tags View - Older versions: Ctrl + Shift + T
    • Quick Search - Older versions: Ctrl + Q
    • Snippet View - Older versions: Ctrl + F5
    • Card View - Older versions: Ctrl + F6
    • Top List View - Older versions: Ctrl + F7
    • Side List View - Older versions: Ctrl + F8
    • Thumbnail View - Older versions: Ctrl + F9
    • Search notebook - Older versions: Shift + Alt + N
    • Search Tags - Older versions: Shift + Alt +N
    • Show Search Explanation - Older versions: Ctrl + F10
    • Close separate windows / Minimize main window to tray - Older versions: Alt + F4
    • Sync - Older versions: F9
    • Online Help - Older versions: F1
    • Cycle through note list views (Snippet, Card, Top List, Side List, Thumbnail) - Older versions: F5
  • Note Editor keyboard shorcuts
    • Search Notes - Older versions: F6
    • Reset Search - Older versions: Ctrl + Shift + A
    • Check Spelling - Older versions: F7
    • Open in a New Window - Older versions: Ctrl + Enter
    • Present - Older versions: Ctrl + Alt + Enter
    • Present on Another Screen - Older versions: Ctrl + Shift + Enter
    • Tag - Older versions: Ctrl + Alt + T
    • Email note - Older versions: Ctrl + Shift + E
    • Font - Older versions: Ctrl + D
    • Insert Checkbox - Older versions: Ctrl + Shift + C
    • Remove Formatting- Older versions: Ctrl + Shift + Space
  • Note List keyboard shorcuts
    • Search Notebooks - Older versions: Alt + F1
    • Search Tags - Older versions: Alt + F2
    • Search Saved Searches - Older versions: Alt + F3
    • Go to the first note in list - Older versions: Home
    • Go to the last note in list - Older versions: End
    • Open the selected note in a separate window - Older versions: Ctrl + Enter
  • Navigation menu keyboard shorcuts
    • Move to the previous item in the section (notebooks, tags, ...) - Older versions: Up arrow
    • Move to the next item in the section (notebooks, tags, ...) - Older versions: Down arrow
    • View the list of sub-items under the selected item (if applicable) - Older versions: Right arrow
    • Collapse the list of sub-items under the selected item (if applicable) - Older versions: Left arrow
    • Delete selected item - Older versions: Delete
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Anybody any clue what is meant with listing "ScanSnap Evernote Edition firmware and software" as no longer supported feature?

a) former seperate / special "ScanSnap Evernote Edition firmware and software"
or
b) general "ScanSnap software" (meanwhile updated and replacing the former Evernote Edition)

I wouldn't be delighted to have problems with using my Fujitsu iX500 (non-Evernote Edition ) after updating to Windows-App, Version 10.0.10...

6 minutes ago, HeBoIz said:

I wouldn't be delighted to have problems with using my Fujitsu iX500 (non-Evernote Edition )

Hmmn.  Missed that earlier.  Guess if you're saving scans directly to Evernote that might be a problem - although if Evernote can still accept scans from Canon / Epson etc,  why would Fujitsu be incompatible.  Maybe just means they won't support the older Evernote version...

1 hour ago, HeBoIz said:

not quite clear for me is which shortcuts, that may be used in our workflows, are no longer supported or just not implemented yet.

Thanks for the well-organized list! I have this same question. Other thoughts:

• I note in particular that all global shortcuts are gone. Among other things, this means you can no longer start a new note from outside Evernote!
  • Also, does the loss of the shortcut to open a note in a new window (Strg + Enter = Ctrl+Enter on English keyboards) mean that it's no longer possible to actually open a note in a separate window?

These are absurdities. Why should having the new editor remove these system-level functions?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Maybe just means they won't support the older Evernote version...

Thats what I guess. I shortly read that support for the former special Evernote Edition has been given up. Newer firmware is just Fujitsu ScanSnap software „pure“ - including options for direct scans to Evernote. This should stay compatible...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

@Shane D. can you provide a ballpark time frame for how long the Windows and Mac legacy versions will still be supported?

FYI - for anyone wanting to make sure they keep a copy of the 'legacy' version for re-installation - jump to the forums here and download 6.25.1.9091 - save a copy to your computer/cloud/etc., just in case it disappears from the forums!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, ej8899 said:

FYI - for anyone wanting to make sure they keep a copy of the 'legacy' version for re-installation - jump to the forums here and download 6.25.1.9091 - save a copy to your computer/cloud/etc., just in case it disappears from the forums!

... and as additional fast-info: As mentioned by Shane the legacy version of the actual/old version Evernote_6.25.2.9198 is to find and to download via the Evernote article "Install an older version of Evernote" on https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Shane D. said:

@gazumped Yes, you can still use an older version.

Please see this resource:
https://help.evernote.com/hc/articles/360052560314

@Shane D.: First of all, I hope they gave you last week off to get ready for this! :)

Second, can you please clarify something WRT the "legacy" program = v. 6.25.1.9198: is it possible to download and install the new version alongside an existing v. 6.25 installation? Or does the new version (v. 10, I take it) overwrite/delete an installed v. 6.25, making it necessary to then download and install the "legacy" v. 6.25.1.1998? And in either case, will the legacy version and the new version both access the same on-disk Evernote database, or does the new version create a different database? Full details, please! TIA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hey all, 

Here to report that ScanSnap / IX500 functionality in the new version is not supported.

When scanning into Evernote a new "Imported Notebook" will be created for each document.

This is breaks a critical feature for me / my business so I will be sticking to the Legacy version until then.

Aesthetically it looks beautiful  - wish I could hit the delete key to delete notebooks/notes though.

@Dave-in-Decatur I have both the legacy and the new version running side by side right now and it seems fine.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PatWestTexas said:

Without the Import Folders and the Outlook App, I am out on any new version.   These are critical functions for me and without them, 75% of the reason I love Evernote are gone.  Ill be staying with version 6 until these missing critical features are incorporated.  

Ouch.  I use both too.  Hadn't seen that Import Folders were excluded but I use that too.  Seems like you can run legacy and new versions side by side from the above,  which may be a short(ish) term work-around;  also as a subscriber you can still forward emails to your account email address,  so the lack of an Outlook Clipper isn't a necessarily a total loss.

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

It is quite possible to have the older version of Evernote (6.25) running at the same time as the new release. This is exactly what I have.  This allows me to use the new version whilst still providing the ScanSnap scanning that I have used for years and Import folders.  I have disk space and processor power available so running both versions isn't a big deal for me. If I had to choose one version or the other then I'd be sticking with 6.25 for now. As it is I can explore both worlds.

Thank you for this report and advice... (as well regarding the ScanSnap Software) 😉

@wolfonta and @agsteele, thanks for the info about running both versions side by side. Do you know if they both access the same DB? IAC I presume it would be a bad idea to have the same note open in both versions at the same time.

23 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

IAC I presume it would be a bad idea to have the same note open in both versions at the same time.

Good guess I would say, two clients and all ....   ;)

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 11:03 AM, Shane D. said:

@gazumped Yes, you can still use an older version.

Please see this resource:
https://help.evernote.com/hc/articles/360052560314

@Shane D., I just noticed this casual by-the-way statement in the What's New post: "make sure you are on Windows 10, as the new Evernote app does not support older versions of Windows." Is that true across the board? Not saying it's a bad idea, just relaxing, actually, since it would mean that I can't "upgrade" anyway till I get a new Win10 computer. :)

@Dave-in-Decatur 

Yes, we only support the new version of Evernote for Windows 10. If you're on an older version of Windows then the older version of Evernote is the only supported version currently available.

1 minute ago, Shane D. said:

@Dave-in-Decatur 

Yes, we only support the new version of Evernote for Windows 10. If you're on an older version of Windows then the older version of Evernote is the only supported version currently available.

Thanks for the info! That and any other system requirements really need to be at the top of a post somewhere, rather than being buried. Isn't that basic Best Practices?

But yes, relaxing a bit since (please forgive me, nothing personal) this particular failure is literally not an option for me. :D

I'm enjoying the new version so far, but I was surprised, during install, with the warning that local notebooks were no longer supported. I haven't had many local notebooks in Win10, but I was glad to see that EN came up with a solution for a backup, even it it was an import into a note in the new version. I was seeing the option to "Verify local notebooks" in the tools section on the menu, even after I had concluded the import. I wanted a function that would make it easier to delete those no longer supported (and already imported) local notebooks. EN support told me to delete 'databases' folder. So I did, but I wanted to go further and I totally uninstalled the new version, then proceeded with a complete removal of EN directory and folders, and tried a fresh install once again.

Now, the section regarding 'local notebooks' in 'Tools' is not longer there (which is great, since I've already imported everything that matters and deleted everything), and the new version seems to be very fast and reliable. I particularly liked the possibility to work offline with auto sync when connected, but I miss the sync button (it was kind of a habit to constantly click in the sync button).

I would highly recommend a total removal of old Evernote, prior to installing the new v.10, after you are sure that everything is synced.

All the best,
ever_coffee

• Like 1

I was a beta test user and expressed my disappointment many times about it. Sorry folks. I am running both versions. What I like about the new version is I can paste from Word better. And the search is better. But I miss the tag organization and the Send a Copy by E-mail. Even though I have 6.25 installed, I can't seem to get the Outlook web clipper to work. But maybe I need to reinstall it.

9 hours ago, Shane D. said:

Shane, it'd be nice if your installer checked to see if the user was running Windows 10 BEFORE it blew away the existing Evenote installation.  I'm on Windows 7 32-bit, and your installer deleted my entire Evernote installation AND THEN decided it couldn't install Evernote 10 (giving only a cryptic message that no appropriate file-association was set), leaving me with NO EVERNOTE AT ALL. Fortunately, I'd set a Windows restore point before doing the install, but sheesh.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Oh no! I literally just paid for a year of membership yesterday solely because it's the only notes app I know of with a global "New note" hotkey and now they have removed that feature. What are the odds 😭 Oh well I guess I can just use the old version for now and if they stop supporting it eventually I will just have to end my membership then. 

22 horas atrás, Shane D. disse:

@Dave-in-Decatur 

So, it's time to jump off the boat!

This in my humble opinion, the WORST Evernote version in the Entire Evernote History. 

- No offline Sync, really? The best and core feature that distinguish Evernote from the others, and you remove it?

tell me that this is a joke, a REALLY bad one. 

• Like 1

I had a quick look at Twitter earlier and guess what @EvernoteHelps was saying a couple of days ago... 

These are (apparently) the next features planned for EN10 - they sound strangely familiar... 

> App preferences
> Export options
> Taskbar clipping
> Audio note recording & playback
> Quick switcher (Cmd+J)
> Published notebooks (Evernote Business)

And the Backup help page reckons the way to backup your EN10 is to export (and download) a complete notebook. 

My database currently runs to 20GB - I think I'll need a faster connection...

• Like 1

I, too, do not like Evernote 10. Not because I do not like the looks, but the first thing I tried to do was export notes. Guess what? There is a limit of 50 notes. So much for me exporting my Personal Journal of 241 notes. I went back to 6.25. IF they fix this, and from what I read, many other things, I will try 10, again.

59 minutes ago, Bryn26 said:

I agree that it's time to start looking at alternative options to Evernote. The Evernote management is utterly clueless and if they're happy to release a beta release to the public that is objectively worse than the previous version, then there is no reason to hold out confidence and remain with this product.

Looking through the Help centre,  there are several updates dealing with the new version - so at least someone was thinking about users before the release.  I got the "backup by export and download" (see above) information from there.  I think Ian Small has been trying to inform (prepare?) us for a stripped-down launch by stressing that once the new build is complete,  there's a sound base onto which they can quickly add new features. 

I think the launch was massively badly handled and users are reacting badly because none of us know what is happening and how to deal with this.  Evernote are now in the classic backed up state of having so much input they can't react to any of it in a meaningful way,  but it would be good if they could let us know on what timescale they're working.  Will we see the features that are still being carried over from the old app reinstated in EN10 before the end of this year?  And WHAT (besides offline storage) is officially being retired forever?

I get that for usage and budget reasons it would be good to cut down on their bandwidth so users don't sync GB-level databases (guilty!) on a regular basis - but if regular users start downloading notebooks for backup purposes,  seems to me that will tie up their servers quite nicely,  feeding the streams.

I'm not looking to move away from Evernote - yet - but they're testing my patience.  Not least because when they ***** up,  my volunteer forum support service (i.e. me) gets buried by hundreds of complaint posts. 

The other helpers are doing a sterling job fighting fires and trying to keep folks informed,  but if any new voices want to chime in and point folks in the direction of help (or escape,  if that's their choice) then please feel free!!

EDIT: apologies for my inadvertent use of the name of the woodworking accessory with helical embellishment...

• Like 5

16 horas atrás, notetakeingguy disse:

I was a beta test user and expressed my disappointment many times about it. Sorry folks. I am running both versions. What I like about the new version is I can paste from Word better. And the search is better. But I miss the tag organization and the Send a Copy by E-mail. Even though I have 6.25 installed, I can't seem to get the Outlook web clipper to work. But maybe I need to reinstall it.

I understand you test BETA versions since you're a beta tester user. But we all here are NOT BETA USERS. And, I felt that we are treated like this way.

"stick it down in their throats and let see whats happen"

Really man, I use Evernote more than 15 years. And this is the most FRUSTATING version ever since. 

I can't believe that there is no person in the support staff, no people that has not take ONE single quote about the all features have been removed in one single release. 

Please, make the product BETTER not destroy it.

If single Evernote Staff member read this, please listen to the majority of paid users here, and think: is there nothing wrong?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, MarcSant said:

I understand you test BETA versions since you're a beta tester user. But we all here are NOT BETA USERS.

You might be happier using the legacy version

Agora, DTLow disse:

You might be happier using the legacy version

Yeah, at least, there is a chance to continue to using this version, util I migrate my notes to another place.

But, legacy version lacks native 64 bit versions, that has better deal with huge text notes (source code).

I'm thinking very serious to abandon Evernote. I'm looking into Notion and it is a really good alternative.

Let's see what happens.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I think Ian Small has been trying to inform (prepare?) us for a stripped-down launch by stressing that once the new build is complete,  there's a sound base onto which they can quickly add new features. 

@gazumped I admire and appreciate your positive view, but here I respectfully disagree.  Evernote could have informed us, by well, informing us.  They were very transparent about taking the time out needed to replumb the clients and backend.  They should have been equally transparent about what features these new versions were leaving out and whether temporary or permanent, and this information should have been made available to users before they did the "upgrade."  It is great they are allowing the legacy version to be used in parallel.  It would be helpful to have an estimate on how long the legacy app will still function.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, gazumped said:

EDIT: apologies for my inadvertent use of the name of the woodworking accessory with helical embellishment...

Straight of phillips for me

6 minutos atrás, s2sailor disse:

@gazumped I admire and appreciate your positive view, but here I respectfully disagree.  Evernote could have informed us, by well, informing us.  They were very transparent about taking the time out needed to replumb the clients and backend.  They should have been equally transparent about what features these new versions were leaving out and whether temporary or permanent, and this information should have been made available to users before they did the "upgrade."  It is great they are allowing the legacy version to be used in parallel.  It would be helpful to have an estimate on how long the legacy app will still function.

Totally agree. Acting like you mentioned denotes, at least for me, that they are not giving a ***** for us, I can almost hear the planning team saying, "Let them scream" that the support team can handle the pressure. 

I'm sorry for those who still think this is normal, but, frankly, this is not the way to work. This is not how you do an implementation with the removal of so many basic features of the product.

For me this was totally amateurish. It is not possible that nobody has questioned this, I refuse to believe.

• Like 3

Em 08/10/2020 at 14:25, Dave-in-Decatur disse:

@wolfonta and @agsteele, thanks for the info about running both versions side by side. Do you know if they both access the same DB? IAC I presume it would be a bad idea to have the same note open in both versions at the same time.

The new version appears to be just a front side web client. There is no DB access in your local storage. I can confirm this since I using both new and old version side by side. Well, to be honest, I deleted this 10 ***** version. Or caothic version, or beta version, for me all this names are the same.

I'm planning to abandon Evernote if they will not support the legacy or the older versions anymore. Well, to be honest, after this disastrous new version, I'm thinking about leaving for good. Whether the old version is supported or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

And WHAT (besides offline storage) is officially being retired forever?

Is it a settled fact that the full offline mode (ie, access to the full database without internet connection) is gone for good? I couldn't find any official statements in any direction.

Isn't this a "feature" nearly everyone needs, not just "power users"? Spoils every bussiness trip by plane or outside (good) wifi coverage ... (and downloading every note one may need beforehand seems a bit tedious, if not impossible)

Best regards and thanks in advance for any related information.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, tommy_ev said:

Is it a settled fact that the full offline mode (ie, access to the full database without internet connection) is gone for good? I couldn't find any official statements in any direction.

I don't think so.  I've seen somewhere, prior to the launch, that offline access was being worked on.  I haven't downloaded the new version so can't directly comment on what it has now.  Local notebooks, which are offline and also not sync'd to the server, do appear to be gone.

My guess is that offline access will be implemented similar to how it is done with the mobile clients where you select the notebooks that you want offline access to and it downloads only those.  I think that is a premium feature today on mobile.  I wouldn't be surprised if they take the same approach for these new desktop clients.

• Like 1

The What's new in Evernote for Windows web page  has the following statements:

What features are no longer supported in the new app?

This is not an exhaustive list of features, but the most notable include:

• Local notebooks
  • Presentation mode
  • Context
  • ScanSnap Evernote Edition firmware and software
  • Outlook clipper

Can I use the new Evernote app offline?

Yes. To use Evernote offline, ensure you are signed in to the app before disconnecting from the internet.

I don't think there is going to be an easily identifiable local data base but something more like local caching. People need to ensure everything is fully downloaded by using the app for some time and then switch off the internet and see what happens. If it does not work offline in the way you expect it needs to be reported to Evernote because they clearly think it should work.

See also the info below posted by @gbarry in the mac forum of how the sync process works:

Searching offline should also be working and available. At initial install, we load up the note meta data first, which lets you quickly orient to what is available in the account, builds the lists, etc. The note content syncs in the background, and depending on the size of your account, may take some time to do this. If you click into any note or search for a note that is not synced yet, we will opportunistically load that up ahead of what is already syncing.

That initial load of meta data can also make it look like the notes are unavailable if you go offline during this initial sync. I'd be interested if you're still running into an offline issue after the notes have loaded. Working offline is an important part of the experience.

Conflicting statements on this.  I think saw in some thread that disconnected access is supposed to be working now.  But it may take a while for the DB to sync so not clear as to how long before a search would be "accurate".     

EDIT: post above mine posted at same time, there's the post I was referring to.

15 minutes ago, Mike P said:

That initial load of meta data can also make it look like the notes are unavailable if you go offline during this initial sync. I'd be interested if you're still running into an offline issue after the notes have loaded. Working offline is an important part of the experience.

I really question any usable functionality of Evernote while offline at present.   Maybe if you're creating a note,    but searching and using tags and saved searches was useless for me. evernote had 2 days to build it's cache.

Definitely if we could specify notebooks to be available offline like on mobile, or even if we new a notebook would cache the latest 100 notes (as example number) we would be in a much better position than currently where we know nothing specific and offline is totally hit or miss.

• Like 1

I've just gone offline to see what it's like. I had no issues with search, saved searches, tags (if selected from the tag sidebar) adding tags to notes etc etc.

I did have issues with some attachments not being loaded and the absence of the filter menu (which is clearly by design  as a message comes up over the greyed out filter icon). So it clearly is not working as I would expect but I'm not having quite the same issues. I hope the attachments issue is a bug. I'm not sure why the filter menu has been deemed to be uneccessary in offline mode.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mike P said:

I've just gone offline to see what it's like. I had no issues with search, saved searches, tags (if selected from the tag sidebar) adding tags to notes etc etc.

I'm going to have to do a new video to update from my last one about 'offline mode' ... I just tried this again - confirmed my v10 Evernote folder is rolling in at 36GB and that is pretty much the same as the Legacy edition.     I pulled the plug on my hardwire connection and can confirm throughout a random selection of notes from recent through to a couple of years old all loaded up just fine.  I was still getting broken thumbnails in my snippet view, but that's minor - the note contents (including attachments) appeared to be working.

Maybe 2 days wasn't enough for Evernote to download everything in my  36gb database. 

12 minutos atrás, ej8899 disse:

I'm going to have to do a new video to update from my last one about 'offline mode' ... I just tried this again - confirmed my v10 Evernote folder is rolling in at 36GB and that is pretty much the same as the Legacy edition.     I pulled the plug on my hardwire connection and can confirm throughout a random selection of notes from recent through to a couple of years old all loaded up just fine.  I was still getting broken thumbnails in my snippet view, but that's minor - the note contents (including attachments) appeared to be working.

Maybe 2 days wasn't enough for Evernote to download everything in my  36gb database. 

Good to know. So, If you already have 36Gb of data from Legacy version, you will need to download again 36Gb of data, but, this time without any indication or warnig that a Sync is taking place....NICE!

On 10/8/2020 at 6:14 PM, agsteele said:

Those of us who've been part of the Beta testing have been speaking up for a number of the functions that have been missed in this release. Notably we pressed for the Import Folders (since this also impacts on the scanning options as well), the ability to use personal shortcuts (perhaps using some form of local settings/options), a sync button (which gives a reassuring function although since the new sync is supposed to be instant it shouldn't be necessary but sometimes is), local folders, plus many other more individual use cases that still seemed to be important.

The ScanSnap scanning requirement that is mentioned will only work using the ScanSnap Home software (not the the older ScanSnap Manager) but this is apparently (and as noted above) not working well and requires firmware upgrades for the old ScanSnap for Evernote scanners.

It is quite possible to have the older version of Evernote (6.25) running at the same time as the new release. This is exactly what I have.  This allows me to use the new version whilst still providing the ScanSnap scanning that I have used for years and Import folders.  I have disk space and processor power available so running both versions isn't a big deal for me. If I had to choose one version or the other then I'd be sticking with 6.25 for now. As it is I can explore both worlds.

How did you keep the older version of Evernote (6.25)?  When I installed the version 10, 6.25 is removed.

4 minutes ago, TonyLim said:

How did you keep the older version of Evernote (6.25)?  When I installed the version 10, 6.25 is removed.

Download the legacy version from here
They renamed it to Evernote Legacy so it doesn't conflict with the official version

Thanks.  Got both of them installed.

OMG, the version 10 looks exactly like the web version.  If the functionalities are the same, why do I need the version 10.  The Shortcut bar is gone.  Need to go back to the Legacy version for now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MarcSant said:

Yeah, at least, there is a chance to continue to using this version, util I migrate my notes to another place.

But, legacy version lacks native 64 bit versions, that has better deal with huge text notes (source code).

I'm thinking very serious to abandon Evernote. I'm looking into Notion and it is a really good alternative.

Let's see what happens.

I'm not ready to abandon Evernote, but even on the list of what's coming next to Evernote 10, I don't see keyboard shortcuts. I create a new notes and paste into notes all the time in Evernote 6.

I'm looking at Notion, just to be safe, in case Evernote 10 doesn't become complete. Notion's different and far from perfect. (For instance, the Android version of Notion doesn't have the ability to quickly create a note from the notification bar.) 

10 horas atrás, Coffee First Thing disse:

I'm not ready to abandon Evernote, but even on the list of what's coming next to Evernote 10, I don't see keyboard shortcuts. I create a new notes and paste into notes all the time in Evernote 6.

I'm looking at Notion, just to be safe, in case Evernote 10 doesn't become complete. Notion's different and far from perfect. (For instance, the Android version of Notion doesn't have the ability to quickly create a note from the notification bar.) 

Yes, I agree. But, que main question here is: WHEN. When we will have the core features that we need, and for long time the Legacy version will be supported. 

And, the more important question: is it really worth continuing to be a paying "BETA TESTER"?

Because that is what we are being now. We are paying to test a BETA version.

• Like 2

On 10/7/2020 at 6:02 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

@Shane D.: First of all, I hope they gave you last week off to get ready for this! :)

Second, can you please clarify something WRT the "legacy" program = v. 6.25.1.9198: is it possible to download and install the new version alongside an existing v. 6.25 installation? Or does the new version (v. 10, I take it) overwrite/delete an installed v. 6.25, making it necessary to then download and install the "legacy" v. 6.25.1.1998? And in either case, will the legacy version and the new version both access the same on-disk Evernote database, or does the new version create a different database? Full details, please! TIA.

On 10/7/2020 at 6:59 PM, wolfonta said:

@Dave-in-Decatur I have both the legacy and the new version running side by side right now and it seems fine.

On 10/9/2020 at 10:34 PM, RobertJSawyer said:

Shane, it'd be nice if your installer checked to see if the user was running Windows 10 BEFORE it blew away the existing Evenote installation.  I'm on Windows 7 32-bit, and your installer deleted my entire Evernote installation AND THEN decided it couldn't install Evernote 10 (giving only a cryptic message that no appropriate file-association was set), leaving me with NO EVERNOTE AT ALL. Fortunately, I'd set a Windows restore point before doing the install, but sheesh.

OK, so I'm a bit mystified here. On the one hand, it is possible to run the legacy program and the new one side by side. I have the impression that the new one does not download a full notes database, so the two apps would not be accessing the same on-disk data. OTOH, @RobertJSawyer's experience seems to suggest that best practice might be to back up your database (esp. WRT any local notebooks), install the new program (which will obliterate any existing Evernote installation), and only then (re)install the legacy program and either allow it to download the full notes database or copy your backed-up DB to where it can find it. This seems like important knowledge, since judging by the forums a whole lot of people are going to use the legacy program. Can anyone (esp. @Shane D.) confirm that this is the proper procedure?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

an anyone (esp. @Shane D.) confirm that this is the proper procedure?

I can already complicate the list a little - judging from one post today,  the legacy install actually adds BOTH v10 and v6.25 in one go.  V10 will go on and download its database in the background (over some days if it's a big database) - don't know whether you can get away with keeping your existing 6.25 database,  or whether that will get nuked by v10.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks ... I think. :huh: All of this is academic to me at the moment, as I'm still on Windows 7. But that has to change in the next few months, and when I upgrade to a new computer I will have to deal with the new-Evernote+legacy. If I delay long enough, maybe they'll be up to 10.5 or so and have restored import folders and global shortcuts, including screen clips, so that I might not need the legacy. Ever the optimist....

How is the local data stored in V10?  Does it use one .exb file like V6.25 does or is some other structure used?

5 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

If I delay long enough

It might take a while - the real crunch is going to be exactly how fast can Evernote add new (i.e.our old) features now they have their code base re-engineered?

Apparently some old features might not make it - see 

And vote!  How can they consider not sharing notes by email!!  (I'd love to know what other features they're still thinking about too....)

1 minute ago, s2sailor said:

How is the local data stored in V10?  Does it use one .exb file like V6.25 does or is some other structure used?

Pretty sure its not an EXB file,  but v10 seems to download something in background to allow offline working.  If anyone can track down exactly what,  please let us know!!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gazumped said:

Pretty sure its not an EXB file,  but v10 seems to download something in background to allow offline working.

I’ll have to rethink backups.  Currently I take periodic dumps of the exb and call it a day.  

8 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Pretty sure its not an EXB file,  but v10 seems to download something in background to allow offline working.  If anyone can track down exactly what,  please let us know!!

Very helpful post here by @Alxa, who found it in C:/users/youraccount/appdata/roaming/evernote:

• Thanks 1

My best bet so far is a folder:

C:\Users\{user name}\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\resource-cache

This contains thousands of folders and files dating from when I upgraded from beta to v10 to today.. I'm way out of my competence zone here so I could be completely wrong!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Very helpful post here by @Alxa, who found it in C:/users/youraccount/appdata/roaming/evernote:

Thanks.  I saw that but didn’t know if a single exb was still being used, or some other structure.  I wonder if v10 will provide us a way to perform a local backup that we could restore from if needed?

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 1:24 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:
  • I note in particular that all global shortcuts are gone. Among other things, this means you can no longer start a new note from outside Evernote!

absurd is the word for this. Creating a new note on the fly, regardless of what app I'm in is essential. How could Evernote not get this? In fact, I have most of my mouse buttons configured to do something in Evernote. One mouse button is configured to do a search in Evernote which is great because regardless of the program I'm in, I can quickly open up Evernote, and see the cursor flashing in the search field. 

• Like 2

On 10/10/2020 at 12:51 PM, gazumped said:

I get that for usage and budget reasons it would be good to cut down on their bandwidth so users don't sync GB-level databases (guilty!) on a regular basis - but if regular users start downloading notebooks for backup purposes,  seems to me that will tie up their servers quite nicely,  feeding the streams.

Am I getting this right - there is no local database file to backup anymore? Everything is cloud-based?  My internet service cannot be updated (country bumpkin) and I only have 4-5 MB up and 1 down.  It is why I can't use cloud-based backup services, and is an important reason I started using Evernote. I'm screwed, right?

Edit-shoot: my speed isn't in MB up or down but  Mbps... 4.4 Mbps down, 0.68 Mbps up.  I think Mbps are even smaller than MB - I always confuse that sort of thing.

38 minutes ago, lisec said:

Am I getting this right - there is no local database file to backup anymore? 

There is a local database file for offline use
On the Mac, we're restricted to .enex export 

I have no information on the import feature
edit: The import feature is still supported on Macs

10 minutes ago, lisec said:

Am I getting this right - there is no local database file to backup anymore? Everything is cloud-based?  My internet service cannot be updated (country bumpkin) and I only have 4-5 MB up and 1 down.  It is why I can't use cloud-based backup services, and is an important reason I started using Evernote. I'm screwed, right?

You're OK for now.. There is a local sql database and attachment folder BUT if you have limited bandwidth , it is going to download EVERYTHING to get fully synced up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

And what happens to all my saved and exported exb files?  I would create an exb of projects and keep them archived, then re-import when I needed them. Would I have to re-import all exb files before upgrading?  (not that I am going to be upgrading...)

edit: sorry, I meant enex files

Edited by lisec
update

4 minutes ago, ej8899 said:

You're OK for now.. There is a local sql database and attachment folder BUT if you have limited bandwidth , it is going to download EVERYTHING to get fully synced up.

But, can we restore from that local database copy?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

But, can we restore from that local database copy?

Definitely not - all the attachments are kept separately in individual files from what I've seen playing around in the folder structure this morning . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ej8899 said:

Definitely not - all the attachments are kept separately in individual files from what I've seen playing around in the folder structure this morning . 

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.  So, we are "not" good.  We will be limited to the server copies and any history it has for backups and will no longer be able to make our own backups.  Well, sh&t ...

Or, and I thought of this after posting, we probably can still use enex files for backup and restore.  For my usage, a little more work since my preference was to just backup the exb file as part of my system backup solution.  

Edited by s2sailor
Added other comments.
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, lisec said:

And what happens to all my saved and exported exb files?  I would create an exb of projects and keep them archived, then re-import when I needed them. Would I have to re-import all enex files before upgrading?

IF the import feature is still supported, I don't see any change to your situation
No - you don't have to re-import all enex files before upgrading

2 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.  So, we are "not" good.  We will be limited to the server copies and any history it has for backups and will no longer be able to make our own backups.  Well, sh&t ...

This is bad.  I use Evernote on more than one Windows computer. I usually copy my most recent exb file to the other computer before doing a sync when I haven't used it in a while. Now it looks like I will have to download *everything* on each computer (three!) with terrible speeds... It could take more than a week to get them all at their baseline, and then to download again just to keep up. If I wanted cloud-only storage I would have gotten cloud-only storage!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lisec said:

This is bad.  I use Evernote on more than one Windows computer. I usually copy my most recent exb file to the other computer before doing a sync when I haven't used it in a while. Now it looks like I will have to download *everything* on each computer (three!) with terrible speeds... It could take more than a week to get them all at their baseline, and then to download again just to keep up. If I wanted cloud-only storage I would have gotten cloud-only storage!

Yes, that was how I updated new PCs too.  Only having to deal with the exb file was nice.  I would hope that Evernote does not remove enex export and import, so we hopefully will still have that option, but I think you have to do that notebook by notebook otherwise you will lose the notebook information.  A tedious process if you have many notebooks.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, lisec said:

not that I am going to be upgrading...

I am waiting for the new version issues to be resolved before I make any decision
In the meantime, the legacy version continues to work well for me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

Only having to deal with the exb file was nice.

I migrated to several PCs with my growing (now 25GB+) database.  I saw somewhere (brain hurts - can't give you a link...) that backups will still be available in v10 by exporting/ downloading each notebook into an ENEX file. 

There is a utility (Backupery) that would extract those automatically from an EXB file,  but they're in the same state as us users at the moment - Evernote currently doesn't support that sort of excess access* - so they're looking at API backups online.  Maybe.  

EDIT:  Told you my brain hurts... 😏

• Like 2

Today my system told me my C drive capacity is low...after installing V10 in 2 days????!!!

My system drive has 120GB and it had about 25-30GB free space yesterday.

I used to save my EN database on the other drive. Now the database took up all my already-too-small system drive space.

I found NO WAY to change database location setting in the preference...

I thought modifying timestamp would be the only issue and it will come anytime soon in the later release.

Now I am sad...and mad at evernote because it wastes my two good days (weekend).

If I am not mistaken, there is an option to keep part or all of the data on the server. Just on my iPad now, so no chance to look it up.

2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If I am not mistaken, there is an option to keep part or all of the data on the server. Just on my iPad now, so no chance to look it up.

Not I could find on this V10 for windows

Yup.  I have a 25GB+ database.  If I update and install the legacy version it looks like Evernote will eat 50GB+ of my storage space for the 'hidden' v10 store and my public 6.25 EXB. 

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Yup.  I have a 25GB+ database.  If I update and install the legacy version it looks like Evernote will eat 50GB+ of my storage space for the 'hidden' v10 store and my public 6.25 EXB. 

Holy s**t

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2020 at 3:01 PM, gazumped said:

We have the same problem on Macs; double storage
It would have been so nice if a common database could be shared, however that's not realistic
I look forward to learning about the new and improved database format   
Pre v10
- Windows have everything crammed into a single .exb database file    
- Macs have a small database for metadata, and separate folders for each note's content   
v10     
?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bradsayers said:

absurd is the word for this. Creating a new note on the fly, regardless of what app I'm in is essential. How could Evernote not get this? In fact, I have most of my mouse buttons configured to do something in Evernote. One mouse button is configured to do a search in Evernote which is great because regardless of the program I'm in, I can quickly open up Evernote, and see the cursor flashing in the search field. 

I agree. Fast note creation (with keyboard shortcuts) is something I do in Evernote at least a dozen times a day. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gazumped said:

Maybe ODS is on the V10 road map?   ;) 

Seriously though I wonder where the search is executed if you have a fully downloaded DB and are online?

28 minutes ago, CalS said:

Seriously though I wonder where the search is executed if you have a fully downloaded DB and are online?

With IOS, the search is executed at the server when online (edit pre v10)
The downloaded DB is ignored.

16 minutes ago, DTLow said:

With IOS, the search is executed at the server when online
The downloaded DB is ignored.

Yeah, know that in the old world order, just wondering about the new world order.

EDIT:  Unless you mean new world order IOS

9 minutes ago, CalS said:

Yeah, know that in the old world order, just wondering about the new world order.

EDIT:  Unless you mean new world order IOS

I edited my post to specify pre V10 (old world order)   
I'll test in v10; just having trouble with the full download DB part

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/7/2020 at 9:45 AM, HeBoIz said:

Anybody any clue what is meant with listing "ScanSnap Evernote Edition firmware and software" as no longer supported feature?

a) former seperate / special "ScanSnap Evernote Edition firmware and software"
or
b) general "ScanSnap software" (meanwhile updated and replacing the former Evernote Edition)

The special EN version of ScanSnap was "killed" off a while ago. Fujitsu was provided the steps to upgrade from the EN version to iX500 version (http://scansnap.fujitsu.com/global/evernote/index.html) I haven't done that yet... But I just use mine as a scanner, not connected to EN. (Got mine when EN closed down the store - EN offered employees a can't-pass-it-up discount) (plus, I think mine is dying - when scanning double-sided, I get a massive vertical black bar - cleaning did nothing)

It's weird being so (constructively) critical and so heavily discussing EN alternatives on EN's own forum, but I fear the quality of conversation over on Facebook. This disaster (yeah, that's what it is to me - 12+ years with a massive, varied range of content ploughed into this product) has to be examined somewhere.

This issue is simply too significant to ignore or stay silent on. I'm a many-a-year read-only lurker on the forums but not now, not with this!

With a growing acceptance of the legacy (as they describe it) 6.5 being phased out in the "future", the time to be looking for alternatives is, unfortunately, now. Wow. I hoped I'd never have to jump ship.

I remember clear as day Phil Libin saying on those podcasts years ago (remember those?) "we're a 100 year company". And "the data is yours. We don't lock it down. If you want to take it elsewhere you can." I felt reassured at the time, knowing how much I relied on it. Knowing what a pain in the arse it was, moving thousands of notes over from Lotus Notes, hoping I'd never have to do that again.This release has shattered that reassurance. Users new to EN might know no different, but this is like a new version 1. Just getting started.

So, so far, with my limited time, Nimbus is doing it for me. It has a feel of Notion about it, but seems a little more... mature. It seems to be a competitor to Notion more than EN, but there's a blurring of the lines in modern note taking apps.

I'd love some reassurance about Nimbus - how new they are, roadmaps, vision for the future etc., but they're ticking some boxes right now:

- Sync

- Android app

- Better Android editor than EN

- Global tags

- (lovely) dynamic table of contents within the note

Tons more to research. Not tried the desktop yet (Windows 10). I suspect search is inferior to EN6.5. And, on Android at least, markdown only (little font support).

I've yet to check out Obsidian. I may never need to from what I'm seeing with Nimbus.

Maybe we could ask, nicely, if the EN forum admins could create a new forum here called "Evernote Alternatives"...

Semi-rant over. I feel better now. Thanks for reading.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Evernote has allowed this long thread to exist.  Maybe these Evernote alternatives comments would be better collected there?

On one hand, it seems a little disrespectful to me to use Evernote's forums to discuss alternatives.  On the other hand, it benefits Evernote to understand why some are leaving and to which apps they are moving to.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

On one hand, it seems a little disrespectful to me to use Evernote's forums to discuss alternatives.  On the other hand, it benefits Evernote to understand why some are leaving and to which apps they are moving to.

1. EverNote management disrespected us first by don't listening to feedback and providing unbaked versions.

2. They probably quietly and unofficially support migration of advanced users. It looks like EvN blesses users who are meek and don't complain: for they shall inherit the EvN v. 10. 😉

1 hour ago, Kolmir said:

1. EverNote management disrespected us first by don't listening to feedback and providing unbaked versions.

Disrespectful is one word that comes to mind, but I have others I can add ... 

• Like 2

On 10/11/2020 at 8:14 AM, gazumped said:

I'm using a Mac but the structure may be similar

It looks like Evernote has switched database formats from .sqlite to .leveldb
I can work with .sqlite; I have no idea how to work with this new format

I too was an early adopter of Evernote and a paying customer for 12 years.  Version 10 is an immense step backward.  They still have a few months to go before it's time to renew, but I think I may have to cancel my premium subscription. :(

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm using a Mac but the structure may be similar

It looks like Evernote has switched database formats from .sqlite to .leveldb

You should also look at @ej8899's great detective work further up this thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1