features removed & initial thoughts

ej8899

Idea

Evernote - can we get a list of features removed please... otherwise, here is some initial feedback:

Removed Features (unless I'm just not seeing them elsewhere):
- offline notes / local databases (a timeline on when this is expected to return would be quite helpful to us travelers!)
- import folders
- shortcut keys
- ability to screenshot into Evernote (ack!) Sure hope this comes back real soon!
- export entire notebooks - found this under the notebooks overview section

Broken/Buggy:
- http links in the note open a browser window - this is expected behavior.... BUT I have a lot of Evernote note links with http instead of the evernote:/// structure -- could the Evernote app perhaps parse Evernote http links and just open in the app window?     Just an idea anyway... I've got a lot (thousands) of note links to change otherwise.
- is the time zone bug fixed yet?  I noticed this on the beta - my "created today" notes essentially disappear at the stroke of midnight in a different time zone than mine. 

Other:
- since we're in a web wrapper now - is there a timeline to a Linux release? 

• Like 7

32 replies to this idea

F6 used to go to the search box, I can't get there as quickly as I used to. That is the 1st think I noticed. Otherwise I love the way it looks, having dark mode etc. 

F3 for tagging works which is nice. 

F2 for title editing does not work. But CTRL + TAB does the trick, so not a big deal there.

CTRL + D does not work, which is a big deal for me but the formatting tools are different now, so I need to play with it more.

CTRL + SHIFT + H for highlighter works.

Keyboard shortcut for Insert and formatting items will be highly anticipated for me.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TK0047 said:

F6 used to go to the search box, I can't get there as quickly as I used to. That is the 1st think I noticed. Otherwise I love the way it looks, having dark mode etc. 

F3 for tagging works which is nice. 

F2 for title editing does not work. But CTRL + TAB does the trick, so not a big deal there.

CTRL + D does not work, which is a big deal for me but the formatting tools are different now, so I need to play with it more.

CTRL + SHIFT + H for highlighter works.

Keyboard shortcut for Insert and formatting items will be highly anticipated for me.

There are quite a lot of keyboard shortcuts listed in the actual article "Keyboard shortcuts in Evernote for Windows (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209004807), that are listed as "Not available" in the new version...

• Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, DMiddleton said:

Personally I cannot believe they have released this, I was a preview and beta tester and the number of issues raised should have been a good indication of how this was not ready for general release. There are so many missing features and no word on whether they will ever re-appear and things still not working, pretty disappointed to be honest - seems like most of the feedback was ignored.

It was a pretty fancy video they made for the “new“ Evernote though... It's unfortunate that they didn't create a "real life" video on the release instead.

21 minutes ago, HeBoIz said:

There are quite a lot of keyboard shortcuts listed in the actual article "Keyboard shortcuts in Evernote for Windows (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209004807), that are listed as "Not available" in the new version...

Thanks for sharing this list. Wow, there are a lot of shortcuts removed which is challenging for someone like me who loves the keyboard shortcuts.

Good news is that you can move around the app with the TAB to anywhere. This used to be an issue. For example, you couldn't get to the REMINDER button in the old version with the keyboard. Now I can get there, I cannot set the reminder with the keyboard yet but I am sure that will be fixed or I just couldn't figure it out.

Again, I can get to the note I want with the keyboard, but I was not able to get "inside" the note to type. I can go to the "INSERT" button with the keyboard but cannot do there anything either. Would be nice to bring the F2 back so once you select the note, you can get to the title then TAB your way into the body of the note.

One thing I used a lot was CTRL + ; which gave the date and time. The one they listed as DATE & TIME (CTRL + ALT + D) only gives the date so far.

Love the F11 full screen of course. 

CTRL + ALT + T for the tabs went away which is not a big deal but something I used to use.

• Level 5

Another disastrous feature removal is global shortcuts, i.e., shortcuts usable system-wide. As @ej8899 points out, this means you can no longer clip a screenshot directly into a new Evernote note; nor can you start a simple text note from outside Evernote. This is also a workflow-killer.

And then there's the fonts. The "What's New" post says blithely, "More control over headings and a standardized font selection means your notes will look the same everywhere." OK, and I've been looking forward to the headings. But "standardized fonts" means that this will be the only Windows program I have that has no access to the full set of Windows fonts, unless I want to copy and paste from elsewhere. That's a massive trade-off. I'd like to think it was carefully thought through, but a lot else about this release suggests otherwise.

Does anyone know whether it's possible to open a note in a separate window anymore? The keyboard shortcut is gone, but can you still double-click to do this?

Got enough hot messes in my life right now. Will not be downgrading to this new app in the foreseeable future. The current ("legacy") version works well, and any needed tech support is right here.

• Like 5
25 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

One thing I used a lot was CTRL + ; which gave the date and time. The one they listed as DATE & TIME (CTRL + ALT + D) only gives the date so far.

I think you will find it is shift-alt-D for the date not ctrl-alt-D.

ctrl-shift-D gives the time

I think publishing this as the whole new client is in fact nothing to be proud of - Evernote!
As a beta user I was shocked, that this immature client is now being released to the world. There are so many points from the beta forums not being addressed (yet ?). Having not all initial features in place it even is not a beta version.

A windows client, that is not capable of showing offline/online status e.g. by showing "we are in offline-mode") is a no-go.

Travelers never know, if their content will be available on the go or their edits will be show up on other clients. For real world Evernote use the native client will stay the number choice until Evernote has addressed these major deficits.

• Like 6
  • Level 5

Hi all,

I've moved several posts related to specific issues into their own threads.

If you have a specific issue/request, please add it to an existing thread or start a dedicated one whenever possible.

This will better enable us to quantify the requests.

Feel free to reach out to me directly if you have questions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So no import folders any longer?

What's the easiest way to get a file I'm reading in Adobe/Word/Excel  into Evernote? I used to just save it to an import folder with my desired name and then later go through the Evernote import folder and figure out where to move it in Evernote.  And my "send to Evernote" menu seems to be missing too. And drag and drop also not working as it used to. 

Am I missing something?

28 minutes ago, PatWestTexas said:

I had a hard time finding the import folders functionality in Evernote 10.  Did I overlook it or this Evernote?

It’s gone.  For now anyway.  I certainly hope it returns very very soon!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It doesn't seem like any of the grievances from the beta were addressed for this public release. I just manually installed it, and what a mistake that was. I can't even disable spellcheck because the entire preferences menu is gone (at least in Windows), rendering many of my notes unreadable thanks to the red lines everywhere.

I'm going to start looking for an alternative to Evernote. It's not just that there are issues - those can be fixed. It's the fact that the beta was pointless and feedback was not acted upon. This is not a company I trust with a product that is so critical to my life.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, DMiddleton said:

Personally I cannot believe they have released this, I was a preview and beta tester and the number of issues raised should have been a good indication of how this was not ready for general release. There are so many missing features and no word on whether they will ever re-appear and things still not working, pretty disappointed to be honest - seems like most of the feedback was ignored.

Couldn't agree more

How about the speed and the responsiveness? It is super slow for me that I cannot use it unfortunately.

For example, I just clicked a note and it took 10-15 seconds if not longer to display that note. But more importantly, when I try to edit the note, it takes very long to even "ENTER" to process. I hit enter, and the cursor blinks for a while then goes down. Then I start typing, words start to appear with a very noticeable delay.

For example, I type "TESTING" I would finish typing the word, then wait the word appears!

Is this just me? Did anybody notice any slowdown?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TK0047 said:

I have not noticed the website getting any slower. The website's load speed is longer, probably because the scripts have quadrupled in size? I don't know how the amount of data I keep compares, but it's not a lot. The bulk would be the site itself.

7 hours ago, TK0047 said:

How about the speed and the responsiveness? It is super slow for me that I cannot use it unfortunately.

For example, I just clicked a note and it took 10-15 seconds if not longer to display that note. But more importantly, when I try to edit the note, it takes very long to even "ENTER" to process. I hit enter, and the cursor blinks for a while then goes down. Then I start typing, words start to appear with a very noticeable delay.

For example, I type "TESTING" I would finish typing the word, then wait the word appears!

It's horrible for me... improved after the first install, but "day 2" - despite being improved - is still sluggish.

I've done a 'day 2' video here showing casing a few bugs and problems.  https://youtu.be/A3r1ryU5Ffo

• Level 5
2 hours ago, TK0047 said:

Is this normal? There is always 6 subprocesses when I check the task manager. It does use up a lot of CPU all the time too.

image.png.75edc08a408169f03f9959b4c9404634.png

I'm still using v. 6.25 under Windows 7, and I see 7 subprocesses--so good news, something they didn't remove! :D

• Haha 3
On 10/9/2020 at 8:37 AM, TK0047 said:

Is this normal? There is always 6 subprocesses when I check the task manager. It does use up a lot of CPU all the time too.

Yes. And as @Dave-in-Decatur notes, the legacy app does too. It's a sign that the application uses CEF (chromium embedded framework). Yes, the same thing that the Chrome browser is built on.

The mere fact that there is no way to select multiple texts at the same time shows how behind the curve the Evernote staff is regarding EDITING FEATURES.

All they need to do is have REAL editors and REAL writers test the app!!! And listen to their comments!!!

The Evernote staff - when it comes to text editing - are morons. 

You cannot select multiple images or files as well...it drives me crazy when reordering pictures in notes. This basic editing functionality seems to be beyond imagination of evernote staff. Otherwise they would have implemented it after half a year of Evernote 10 being out.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Probably they have other priorities …

I find it amazing how many people in the forum talk about imagination or the lack of it, but seem to miss the fact that other people may have other views and use cases. Having a different imagination is not a lack of it, it is just another perspective.

For me ordering pictures or selecting text here and there is not relevant - I would rather prefer to get a better scanner integration, better printing and the import folders. Different users have different priorities.

Hope they do not forget to add your requirements to the backlog. You can help by sending a feedback or issue a support ticket.

• Like 1

it would be nice if the preview picture in listview is the first picture in the note.

When you have notes with 3 pics it is a random pic (some say it is the biggest). 

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

Actually the thumbnail is broken in v10. As well as an apparently random choice, once chosen it is always used.  So remove all the images and add something new, you will still see the first chosen thumbnail. There is no method to refresh the thumbnail image apart from a complete uninstall with the the local data deleted.