Duplicate Notes Issue (iOS)

I see how it happens: Every time I leave the note I’m working on and come back, I see the edit button flicker, the note focus return to the top, then back to the bottom where I left off, then re-enter edit mode, and then spawn multiple copies of the note, for each time it was left and returned to (presumably). Omg this is killing me! I can no longer spend any time writing in Evernote because I keep having to come back to this forum and log the latest observations of how this app is drastically failing.

IS IT POSSIBLE TO RETURN TO THE FIRST VERSION OF EVERNOTE BEFORE IT BECAME A BLOATED PIECE OF ***** THAT PUNISHES ME EVERY TIME I USE IT???

ADDENDUM: As I’m working on a note, the spawned duplicate directly beneath it updates with every word I type. I can tell, because the preview thumbnail in the left col disappears and then returns. So that’s really weird, that the duplicate note is the one syncing, and the one I’m working on—the active one that’s highlighted at the top of the left col—is not. WTF! 

Edited by Amystoneus
More observations since posting
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5

I have observed a flickering „edit“ Button as well, but without a duplication of the note. Since it was just irritating, but not leading to a malfunction, I have let it go without issuing a support ticket on this. I have others open and running ...

Have you issued a support ticket yet ? Writing in the forum may help, but the direct way to feed the backlog is a ticket. Since the note duplication is probably among the gravest malfunctions in the #10-release, I suppose it should get their attention.

3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Have you issued a support ticket yet ? Writing in the forum may help, but the direct way to feed the backlog is a ticket. Since the note duplication is probably among the gravest malfunctions in the #10-release, I suppose it should get their attention.

Every time I issue a support ticket, the reply I get back is a request to share a video of my screen, despite my listing all my steps in detail along with all the specifics of my hardware and software configuration. I refuse to do this, as my notes are proprietary and private and I would have to create an artificial, simulated version of my library—and whatever I happen to be googling in Safari while writing—just to video my typing in a note and then going to Safari and then returning to the note. Worse, Evernote’s behavior is often wonky and unpredictable, so it can take a while just to get it to do exactly what I described. Yes, I actually did this once, and it took a ridiculous amount of unnecessary time. I’ve worked in QA as a beta tester and I know how to document a bug so that it can be replicated by someone else. Evernote support has been very unwilling to use reporting over a screen video, and I’ve had to implore them to just follow my steps and confirm the findings. When finally they did, all I got was a “Yes, we’re aware,” response. Hopefully a lot of others, with less sensitive material in their notebooks, will take up the cause with EN SUPPORT. 

• Level 5

I have mixed experience with EN support as well. With longer experience it is probably hard for an average support rep to tell you anything new. It is up to you - but I am pretty sure the backlog is more based on support tickets than on forum posts.

You could create a notebook called „useless support mails“, collect notes with support answers and use it for screen shows, if this helps with your concern about confidential content.

• Level 5

@Amystoneus I really feel you. I've had dozens of tickets follow that same path:

Me: Hey EN, here's this bug I found, and the exact steps to reproduce it. I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling, as well as testing it on X number of other <computers/phones/etc>

EN: Thanks for reporting! Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

Me: Uhh... Did you read my original message?

EN: Thanks, please send us your logs.

Me: Sure, sent.

EN: Thanks! I forwarded your logs to our engineers. I'll close this ticket now.

Me: Wait! But I've reported this bug before, and the same thing happened, the ticket was closed and nothing ever got done. Can I at least have your bug ID or reference so I can follow up?

EN: Sorry, we don't share development timelines, but please keep checking our website for announcements! Take care, bye.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Yes, support experience is ... mixed.

I have made better experience with the support chat (which currently is down, I know).

Sometimes you can make your way to 2nd level, which usually gives better results.

The main problem (for support as well as for us users) probably was that neither support nor developers could really help with a number of known issues. First there was a company stuck in a deadlock, then they had to steal enough resources to get development of the new client generation funded. Now they are working down the tickets from the first week of the new clients release. Support ends up in a sandwich in times like this.

We should not forget that there are humans working for support. Even if we have our trouble with the product they support, we should not drop our temper on their heads. IMHO it makes life easier for all, and in the end leads to a faster reaction.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
19 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

We should not forget that there are humans working for support.

But, when we are here paying $100+ a year for this product and year after year it gets ignored and bugs pile up, that defense starts to really wear thin. Also, they shouldn't forget that WE are humans too, and spooning out the same scripted responses via support when we have taken time to carefully document/screenshot these bugs is insulting.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Hi All,

We released an update to Evernote for iOS this weekend, Version 10.0.2, that should significantly reduce the occurrences of duplicated notes.

If you have not already, please update to Version 10.0.2, and let us know if the duplicated note issue continues to persist.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
20 minutes ago, luckman212 said:

But, when we are here paying $100+ a year for this product and year after year it gets ignored and bugs pile up, that defense starts to really wear thin. Also, they shouldn't forget that WE are humans too, and spooning out the same scripted responses via support when we have taken time to carefully document/screenshot these bugs is insulting.

Ever worked in a support role ?

Try it for a few days, and we continue talking about the experience. They do not shelf out prefabricated mails out of the blue sky, but because they are told to react with a set of standard answers first. If there is blame to be shed, go and grab management, not the poor soul at support desk 19.

Apart from this I believe no money can buy me the right to be abusive against another person. If I do not get what I feel I am entitled to, I escalate the issue to the next level, or I decide to walk away. Nobody can force me to pay for a service that does not help me with my goals. But this is no reason to loose my contenance on top of some money and time. And tell you what: By politely asking for assistance, I usually get what I need.

36 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

We released an update to Evernote for iOS this weekend, Version 10.0.2, that should significantly reduce the occurrences of duplicated notes.

If you have not already, please update to Version 10.0.2, and let us know if the duplicated note issue continues to persist.

I am not seeing note duplication from the limited testing I've done.

However, the other bugs continue to keep iOS Evernote in an unusable condition for me, so testing is fairly minimal.
(smartsheet sharing of screen shots - or really anything is problematic - and as I noticed this morning, if Evernote iOS is stuck "not syncing" and you don't notice, anything being shared via share sheet just disappears into the great digital beyond, never to be seen again).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

And the existing version should be uninstalled first.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

I don’t see an update option in App Store. (Current version - 10.0.1)

• Level 5
48 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Ever worked in a support role ?

Try it for a few days

I have worked in various support roles for the last 25 years or so. Luckily I own the business now so I don't get to just blame management or budget cuts when things suck. I directly feel the consequences by losing customers.

The problem at EN seems to be that management / marketing is thoroughly disconnected from support and engineering. When I saw the fancy new offices they built with the cafe, the gym, the lounges, huge open spaces, high ceilings, and fancy furniture, I just think - this is where the $ is going, not into paying the dev team to overhaul and put out a solid piece of software.

Telling people "just walk away if you're not happy" is like a homebuilder telling their client "Don't like the house we just built for you? Just sell it and buy a different one".

People have invested YEARS of their lives carefully curating their notes in EN. I personally have 10k+ notes spanning almost 12 years. It's not easy to walk away—believe me I would have years ago when I saw the wheels falling off.

Now the best thing I can do is just keep throwing money at them and hoping eventually someone picks up the ball over there. Or, they finally throw in the towel and force us hangers-on to finally jump.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 9/28/2020 at 9:58 AM, saffie111 said:

It’s been more than a week since I OP-ed this.

I don’t think it has improved enough with the 10.0.2 update downloaded yesterday.

To be fair, my iPhone doesn’t cause any duplication issues (but have other issues such as Notebook not showing). Currently, only taking notes on my iPad creates duplication issues. 

Please see attached screenshot for my line by line testing with different devices.

I don’t think the team is updating up regularly on this too. I plan to move to another note taking platform if this problem persists.

Thanks guys for sharing the same situation you are facing, on here. 

C0FF20C2-9A0E-42F3-9351-B4606FDF1AF7.jpeg

A3F7A70F-162B-4849-9D12-379D8D7FC328.jpeg

I take back what I said about iPhone working correctly.

Duplicate notes occurred this morning on the iPhone. Am already on 10.0.2 as well.

This is terrible.

I don't even know how to find the "correct" note to update as I go about my day now, since there are multiple options to choose from.

Hereby consider this the worst note-taking app ever.

Should go on Keep Productivity on YouTube to make them be aware of this EN bug, so other people who are interested in productivity can stay away - at least for now.

The EN CEO is just on there doing marketing and PR on there despite this storm over here. Not in good taste.

On 9/22/2020 at 10:40 AM, Taskworthy said:

I have been an Evernote user for a number of years, and this current version has to be the worst I have ever experienced relating to bugs. 
I mainly use Evernote within the IOS platform using my iPad & iPhone. 
Faults include, when editing a note the outcome is the unwanted auto creation of multiple copies of my note.  When I edit a note then return to it, my earlier edit was not found. Delays in sharing notes between my iPad & iPhone.

I agree. Premium user since 2013. And this is unusable. 

12 hours ago, Shane D. said:

@Cherice B @Praxeas @Danno321

To clarify, you are still experiencing the duplication issue for Version 10.0.2., correct?

Let me know as I'd like to gather some more information from you directly if you're still encountering this issue.

Yes. This is still a major problem for me. I am running an iPhone XS Max and a 10'5" iPad Air, both with iOS14, both with Evernote v10.0.02. Additionally, I have a 2020 Macbook Pro and Windows machine. The problem with duplicates only occurs on the two iOS devices. Reach out if you need additional info

1 hour ago, Cherice B said:

Yes. This is still a major problem for me. I am running an iPhone XS Max and a 10'5" iPad Air, both with iOS14, both with Evernote v10.0.02. Additionally, I have a 2020 Macbook Pro and Windows machine. The problem with duplicates only occurs on the two iOS devices. Reach out if you need additional info

Have you tried uninstalling the app?   After I did that (and it rebuilt indexes?) I am not having these problems.  

• Level 5

From what most users report here it was solved with rel 10.0.2. Maybe restarting the i-device helps, if possible before, or maybe after the re-install. This cleans out memory.

To get an issue, I had to force it by opening a Mac session in parallel, which caused conflicting syncs.

• Level 5

Hi all,

Thank you for following up.

@Cherice B @saffie111 I'm sorry to hear that the issue has persisted. I'll be reaching out to you directly to gather more information.

@ej8899 You mentioned:

However, the other bugs continue to keep iOS Evernote in an unusable condition for me, so testing is fairly minimal.
(smartsheet sharing of screen shots - or really anything is problematic - and as I noticed this morning, if Evernote iOS is stuck "not syncing" and you don't notice, anything being shared via share sheet just disappears into the great digital beyond, never to be seen again).  

We working to address these types of issues as quickly as possible, and I'll follow-up once I have an update.

On 9/16/2020 at 10:08 PM, saffie111 said:

Hi,

I recently upgraded my Evernote version to this new version in iOS.

If I create a new note and start typing, multiple new notes with the same content will be created.

A Note Conflict message will be in the header portion of some of the new repeated notes that were created.

Full specs: I created these notes on the iPad Pro, rather than on the iPhone.

Input method: Apple Keyboard, via Bluetooth.

May I know what seems to be the problem?

Same here. The same annoying note is created again and again - every time I start the app. Doesn’t matter if I delete the old one or not. 

This sucks. The duplicate bug is NOT fixed. Just stripped EN off my iPhone 11, reinstalled V10.0.2, restarted twice and the program just posted a duplicate note. Same problem. Why would they roll this piece of ***** out. I have been with EN for many years and rely on this program both on my PC and phone. For all matters, personal and business. I ditched One Note for this, and starting to think about returning. I cannot depend on this program for two weeks now. This is not good. 

The duplicate problem most likely is related types of content in the note because if images etc the server has to process more and may not play well with iOS client code.  Is there any pattern for duplicates related to complexity of the note?

1 hour ago, Danno321 said:

The duplicate problem most likely is related types of content in the note because if images etc the server has to process more and may not play well with iOS client code.  Is there any pattern for duplicates related to complexity of the note?

Mine are always with plain text. Not even bullets, lists or tables within

Just got this back from Support

We discovered that there is still an occurrence of the duplicated notes issue that can happen in Evernote version 10.0.2. Our developers are urgently working on solving the root cause. We hope to have it resolved before the end of the week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Cherice B said:

We discovered that there is still an occurrence of the duplicated notes issue that can happen in Evernote version 10.0.2. Our developers are urgently working on solving the root cause. We hope to have it resolved before the end of the week.

Thanks for posting. I just also wanted to confirm that the issue still persists. I can also confirm that it happens when no other client is open. I even tried deleting EN, restarting my phone, reinstalling EN - still duplicate notes. My use case: Clip to EN via Sharesheet from Pocket --> Duplicate Note. 

On 9/29/2020 at 10:26 AM, Shane D. said:

Hi all,

Thank you for following up.

@Cherice B @saffie111 I'm sorry to hear that the issue has persisted. I'll be reaching out to you directly to gather more information.

@ej8899 You mentioned:

We working to address these types of issues as quickly as possible, and I'll follow-up once I have an update.

Shane, do you have any idea why 10.0.2 is not appearing in the App Store? I’m on 10.0.1 and see no update available.

Thanks.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, bluesgeek said:

Shane, do you have any idea why 10.0.2 is not appearing in the App Store? I’m on 10.0.1 and see no update available.

Thanks.

I've been seeing the same thing with updates. I've had to search for Evernote in the app store and then select it, instead of the open/get button there's an update one there..no idea why...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Hi All,

We released an update this morning, Version 10.0.3., that we believe will help to further address the duplicate note issues that were not resolved in 10.0.2.

If possible, please go ahead and try updating to Version 10.0.3. and see if that helps to fix the issue.

If it does not, please let me know on this thread so I can gather more information.

Thank you!

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

We released an update this morning, Version 10.0.3., that we believe will help to further address the duplicate note issues that were not resolved in 10.0.2.

If possible, please go ahead and try updating to Version 10.0.3. and see if that helps to fix the issue.

If it does not, please let me know on this thread so I can gather more information.

Thank you!

Updated. So far so good, will follow up

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Cherice B said:

Updated. So far so good, will follow up

Update..

I was super excited and thought this may be resolved with the update, however, I had one note duplicate this morning. It definitely is doing it less infrequently now! The note in question was simply plain text, not even Bold or Italics, as someone mentioned previously it may have been an issue with notes containing formatting, etc. So, you are close.. but  it's not quite completely resolved yet.

• Sad 1
17 hours ago, Shane D. said:

@Cherice B 

Thanks for letting me know!

Is the note that is duplicating an older note? As in, it was created before our release of 10.0?

Or, is this a newer note?

It was an older note that I use for my monthly journal. I continue to reuse it monthly as my iOS shortcut is pointed to that specific note link for daily journaling

UPDATE: Although that note was an older note... I now had it happen this morning with a brand new note I created on my iPad. 

On 10/2/2020 at 8:31 AM, Shane D. said:

On 10.0.3 - I had note duplicating issues yesterday while playing with 'sketch' mode...  actually, after playing with sketch mode I combined/added some typed text into the note (above the sketched area) and the note started to duplicate with the usual note conflict message.   

• Level 5

Hi All,

I am locking and closing this thread as we believe the 10.0.3. update should address the root cause of the duplication issue for most of the users that have reported it on this thread.

To clarify, we have seen some users report that they are still having some issues with duplicate notes after updating to version 10.0.3, but we believe the root cause of that issue is different than the one that caused this duplication issue.

In this case, I've created this thread:

For those of you on this thread that have updated to 10.0.3. already, but are still experiencing duplication issues, please post on that thread. (I'll move your posts to this new thread @Cherice B @ej8899)

Let me know if you have any other questions!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

If you have upgraded to Version 10.0.3 and are still encountering issues with duplicate notes, please reach out here.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank You Shane!

• Level 5

If we have several clients open and edit the same note (beta or not), this will lead to a sync conflict, and by this to a duplication.

EN server can’t decide in this case which edit is „the real one“ and will keep both to make sure nothing is lost. This is IMHO o.k. and does not need a fix - it is what I expect from a server based program in such a case.

The duplication (better multiplication) of notes that happened initially with EN iOS 10 was different, This was a Bug that hopefully got fixed with rel. 10.0.2 and finally 10.0.3.

39 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If we have several clients open and edit the same note (beta or not), this will lead to a sync conflict, and by this to a duplication.

EN server can’t decide in this case which edit is „the real one“ and will keep both to make sure nothing is lost. This is IMHO o.k. and does not need a fix - it is what I expect from a server based program in such a case.

The duplication (better multiplication) of notes that happened initially with EN iOS 10 was different, This was a Bug that hopefully got fixed with rel. 10.0.2 and finally 10.0.3.

I have to respectfully disagree. I have been using evernote since 2008. I have never edited the same note on more than one device at a time, however, if I am editing a note on say, my iPad, the other devices are still running in the background and sync on their own time patterns. I have never before now had a problem with note duplication like this and I don't expect to if I am not going outside the parameters of normal use relative to editing a note.

• Level 5

I did not say everything is fine now. On the other hand I can’t test, because I did not have this duplicating thing (keep my fingers crossed ...).

IMHO the only duplicating that makes sense is when a note (this means really that note, not the client in general) is opened and edited on two clients at the same time. Just to have it open should be no criteria, but I can’t exclude the possibility that the iOS client needs to sync again and again as long as a note is open, to avoid that data loss issue we discussed for years here in the forum.

From what I have seen in the Forum EN staff seems to be very interested to get hints for any further duplication happening with or  after rel. 10.0.3

2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

I did not say everything is fine now. On the other hand I can’t test, because I did not have this duplicating thing (keep my fingers crossed ...).

IMHO the only duplicating that makes sense is when a note (this means really that note, not the client in general) is opened and edited on two clients at the same time. Just to have it open should be no criteria, but I can’t exclude the possibility that the iOS client needs to sync again and again as long as a note is open, to avoid that data loss issue we discussed for years here in the forum.

From what I have seen in the Forum EN staff seems to be very interested to get hints for any further duplication happening with or  after rel. 10.0.3

My apologies, I misunderstood your intent

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

If you have upgraded to Version 10.0.3 and are still encountering issues with duplicate notes, please reach out here.

Hi Shane, 

I received an email from Claudia in Support relative to Ticket# 3166213 and provided my log as requested. It was sent from thebylers@icloud.com. 

Thank You!

I have the same issue. If I edit a note on an iOS device (that I created on my Mac), I get a duplicate note(s). Im not sure what state Evernote on my Mac is at this time, but it's likely asleep. And most crucially, Im not using Evernote any differently to how Ive used it since 2009 - and Ive never had this duplicate note issue before. Im basically just using it across different devices, but for some reason that is triggering creation of duplicate notes.

I've had the same duplicate problem on the new iPhone app and it is causing a huge amount of confusion.  Previously if another client was editing a note and I tried to edit it on my iPhone I would be notified so that I would not create a conflict (frequently happens when I go grocery shopping and my wife wants to add something).  It worked great before.  Today it creates the dupe as soon as I try to edit it without giving me the chance to not create a duplicate.  

I have the same problem with duplicating note. I have created a shortcut in iOS which allows me to dictate the note when I play the shortcut. When the note is created, the content seems to be duplicating and I have to delete the second instance every single time. I'm hoping Evernote will solve this issue as it may be a very very useful way to write notes from our phone.

Thank you,
Mike

Evernote v 10.0.4 (1104831) IOS v 14.2 (18B5061e)

Evernote made 6 copies of one of my notes on October 21 while using desktop version 7.14. First I noticed there were 4 copies, then I shut down the app, checked on my iPhone (which had been running), and saw the duplicates there and did not edit any of them. I then shut down the iPhone app, reopened the desktop app, and as it opened it made 2 more copies. 

In my experience this is not specific to the new desktop version and is not the result of editing simultaneously on the desktop and the phone. 

I was wondering why I have 20 duplicate versions of the same note. Now I realised that every time I add something to my note through my iPhone, Evernote created a duplicate note without even mentioning where the conflict is. I have tons of duplicate notes on my Mac and don't know what the source of truth is. 

This is really unfortunate and I don't have time for this. Please let me know how to get back to the old versions or I have to switch immediately. I'm really disappointed that you roll out an update like this and basically let your users test your beta when we are paying for the service and use it for work. Completely unacceptable.

• Like 2

I'm at Evernote (free version) 10.3.7 for Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and still experiencing this issue (desktop Evernote app; not web browser Evernote app).

(Can't provide screenshot as personnel banking info showing)

Also, yes I now I'm using it at no cost, but the "progressively" rampant changes to Evernote editing in the past several months are not well thought out (i.e., like pasting data in a note).

Same problem with Evernote 10.3.7 for Windows. Not even editing on any other device, just in the desktop version and it creates duplicates every few minutes. Makes the desktop version unusable which is unfortunate as I am paying for it.

You guys have been having various flavors of this problem since 2014 - why the constant regression?

• I know people mentioned this in the BETA. (Using the desktop app on MacBook Pro, Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7. w 32GB of RAM)
  • And please don't blame a bad internet connection. (Im on gigabit internet - Verizon FiOS 115mbps down 125mbps up)
  • This was one of the reasons my org stayed away from Evernote for Business.
  • It's not doing any better on the new Evernote Home BETA either.
  • To add insult to injury, when making edits to older notes, after 5 minutes, all of your edits get wiped as Evernote restores to a previous version.
  • Deleting the duplicate notes also does not stop the replication. As a paying user with over 8,000 notes this does not help with productivity.

This issue is NOT resolved!  I have 10.3.7 (Plus version) On Windows 10 PC And am seeing a version of this problem in the last 2-3 weeks. 

- v 10.3.7 build 2018 public
Editor: v111.0.14414
Service: v1.22.6
© 2019 - 2020 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

I also use Evernote on two android devices and just now cant find where to see what android version have but it was updated a month ago so should be current.

It seems that the duplications occur mainly when I use the Windows version. I edit far less in the android clients. The notification of a duplicate pops up when it has created 1 copy. I do not get multiples, at least not immediately,  as far as I can see. I rename one of them to hopefully distinguish "which is which".

Sometimes this seems to be related to synchronizing as there are a few seconds difference in the time stamp at first and a little content is missing from one of them. Yet it is still called a "duplicate" by the system alert. 

That observed symptom may be due to  the fact that I am still editing, or go back in a few seconds to edit one copy before I realize that there are 2 copies.

If there is another forum thread (for this variation of problem), or any official notice about this issue, please point me to it.

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same issue. Using version 10.5.7 on MacOS and 10.2 on iOS. A shared note creates a duplicate almost every time when trying to sync from one device after changes have been made on the other. Very frustrating. I have deleted the notebook, emptied the trash, made a new notebook (different name) and different notes (different names) and still the dups appear. I have loved evernote for a long time, but am now looking at alternatives and may jump ship. This problem has been around for a year and still persists. Also, the removal of tabs in the new build was an extremely unwise decision. Getting harder and harder to justify dealing with all these issues.

I have Evernote 10.5.7 for Mac and the most current version for IOS. I  just started having this problem. I create or edit a note and the next time I open Evernote there are 2 or 3 additional, identical, copies of that note. It really makes the product difficult to use. 

I have also noticed that the newest version of Evernote automatically tags a newly created  note with the tag of the last note that was open - also infuriating. 

I've used and loved Evernote since 2006 (!!) but you are going to lose me if this is not fixed very soon.  

Please make the dups stop!!! 

this is driving me insane! I collaborate with my assistant and anytime he is in a note or I jump in all of the sudden we have 4 notes!! We're both on our own accounts, and its driving me nuts. 

• Like 2

I am using Evernote version 10.5.7

When I edit a note in the iphone app, it creates a duplicate note instead of updating and syncing.  The same happens when I update in Windows, where it creates a conflicting note on my phone. The desktop and phone apps are not communicating properly.  

I have tried completely shutting down one app before opening the other, and forcing syncing from my phone.  Nothing I've tried has helped the problem, and software updates have yet to resolve this issue.  It has been ongoing since the major update that happened in the fall.

How do I change back to the old version of Evernote or is there a way to stop these issues?  I need to be able to update notes on my phone and the computer.  

I was hoping there would be a solution for this. I started experiencing this duplication error in December when I created a note on 12/6/2020 that I wanted to add content to on a weekly basis. As of this morning, I had 4 copies of this note, and some are created as I'm typing (I accidentally hit my touchpad and the cursor jumped and added text in the wrong place, so I deleted it quickly and then returned to the correct place and typed again. A duplicate showed up right after) and others seem to be created when I'm not actively working on anything.

I almost exclusively use the web interface (10.6.9-web (225)) on Chrome in Win10, but I do have the widget/app installed on my phone desktop (Android/Pixel 2). I am pretty sure I've never accessed this note from my phone, and rarely use the app there, in general.

• Confused 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2020 at 11:11 AM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

I am running version 10.6.9 and encountering this issue. I only use the app on a MacBook Pro

• 3 weeks later...

I've encountered this problem several times. Running version 10.7.6 on mac and the latest version on iOS. Seems to occur when the app is left open on one or the other device while an edit is made on the other (i.e. fails to live-update).

• Like 1

Hi! I am encountering this problem multiple times in the last 4 days.  It's occurring on the Weibsite version using a Windows 10 OS.  It's doubling and tripling the notes, even as I am typing I watch it update and then create a new note. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Having this issue with multiple notes, running 10.5 on iOS and 10.8.6 on my Macbook Pro. I don't typically have both running at the same time, I haven't opened my macbook version in months and when I did all edits I made on iOS were represented as separate notes. 

Literally making me think about switching platforms this is so unusable. 

This behavior has been a weekly constant for me since the new EN "look", between my Win10 version and iOS 14 version. Currently on EN 10.5.1 and it just happened. Part of my issue is that EN does not always sync when it says it did, at least on iOS. So many complaints around that...

• Level 5

My iOS syncs fine.

There may be a misunderstanding about that green triangle showing in the notes list. This does NOT indicate the note is currently syncing, or has synced already. It says the note still NEEDS to sync. So if you quit EN in that moment, you are interrupting an ongoing sync, which can lead to duplication and other problems.

The syncing is done when all green triangles have disappeared. Unfortunately I did not find this properly explained yet.

If you want the iOS client to sync, pull the notes list down a little, and let it go. The syncing wheel will show above the notes counter, and will spin until the syncing has terminated. When it does, you are safe that all syncing processes have been performed.

I've literally given up on this issue. When EN started essentially breaking reciprocal links between notes in my cache of 4 years of documentation I gave up.

I rolled back to a legacy version of the app on my MacBook Pro, and though some have said that support for legacy versions have stopped, you can still download both Mac & Windows versions here: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

This has returned some level of sanity to my workflow but it has not resolved the mobile issues.

I've been porting my notes to Notion (which has it's own issues but, after addressing the learning curve I spend more time in Notion than I do in Evernote.)

Full disclosure, that doesn't mean I'm off Evernote completely. It just means before my subscription renews I'm going to roll back to the freeplan. Now to migrate 14 years worth of notes... ALSO for anyone contemplating the move to Notion, they don't yet have an offline mode, they're experiencing growing pains (which led to a 3 hour outage last month), but I'm loving the robust database features enough to pay for it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've been using Evernote for almost 6 years now. I just recently started on a cool workflow where I basically just duplicate a Todo list each day, changing and updating. It leaves me an archive of what I've accomplished as well. I manage these on my Mac and my iPhone.

Yesterday, I had to stop working on an urgent research project and spend 30+ minutes reviewing three copies of that day's to-do list. I had to go to my Mac, open the three notes side by side on the Desktop app and compare each line. I then manually moved all the significant edits over to the most recent copy... These notes are each around three hundred lines long hahaha

This usually is not super bad, but just coincidentally on that day, I had made several edits over the past three or four hours. It was bad. I left a note to myself "F*** Evernote. Find an alternative."

I calmed down. I'm sticking with Evernote for now because I don't have time to migrate, and it's generally the apex of notes management. Whatever I can do to help the devs or whoever fix this, I am willing to do. I hope the team knows I personally appreciate all their hard work, but this little sync thing almost broke my brain lol