Duplicate Notes Issue (iOS)

Hi,

I recently upgraded my Evernote version to this new version in iOS.

If I create a new note and start typing, multiple new notes with the same content will be created.

A Note Conflict message will be in the header portion of some of the new repeated notes that were created.

Full specs: I created these notes on the iPad Pro, rather than on the iPhone.

Input method: Apple Keyboard, via Bluetooth.

May I know what seems to be the problem?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Level 5

Hi All,

We've seen a few reports regarding this issue, and have been able to reproduce it.

Please continue to add your reports here if you encounter this issue.

I'll follow-up here once we have an update.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Having  thousands of notes to nbe kepft offline,  seems to be n ot an fix to uninstall and re-install ;  especially if the offline takes several hours (  for me,  14 Gb  and after 7 hours ,less than  1.5 Gb  doewnloaded ).

how long will it take to have a decent 10.1 version? editing and interface is now great ,  but the other issues (  speed,,  multiple notes , offline) are roadblocks 

I upgraded to the new version. I can’t create a note correctly if Evernote is open on > 1 device, by the looks of it. After several attempts at pasting content into a note, and then having it reset to a blank “Untitled” note, I went over to a Mac and did it there.

The new UI, but I’m talking about faults in basic functionality, and it doesn’t look like some freaky edge case to me. I would rather have the old UI that actually can create and sync notes, than this new UI that cannot.

Other issues:

1. The app freezes when adding a new note.

2. Keyboard shortcuts have gone. 

3. Trackpad support seems to be broken: there are UI elements that cannot be accessed with a trackpad (scrolled off screen).

By the way, my account here might be new, but my actual Evernote account is not. June 2009 and premium from day one, so hopefully that counts for something.

I have also run into this issue on iPhone and iPad. As I edit a note, Evernote periodically creates a duplicate.

Evernote is also open on my Mac in the background — I’ll check whether quitting the Mac version has any effect and report back.

Edit: looks like the problem occurs even if I quit Evernote on Mac.

Edited by Rufus M
Checked whether problem occurs if Evernote for Mac is not running.
On 9/17/2020 at 12:43 PM, Ken said:

Same here on iPad Pro. Each copy is a progression of the edit that is being undertaken - as if there is a bug in the process of syncing the note during an edit. 

Same here on an Ipad pro 12,9” on ios 13.7. Happens with text as well as with sketches

Seems like every time I edit the note, three more copies are spawned. But that’s not even the worst part: I can’t get rid of the alert at the top of the original note telling me that a conflict has resulted in the note being copied. I’ve tried clicking the “x” to close the window, manually syncing The note, and a hard reboot of the app. Nothing works, and I have no idea what the point of the “view note” link is, as it just reloads the note. I finally copied the content of the note and made a fresh version, which of course, sacrifices the original creation time stamp. 
420A0A3F-B061-4E3A-85A0-17D69C416F29.thumb.jpeg.315ade3af7423967a2e10d2b777ea66b.jpeg

Same here.

If I create or edit a note on my iPhone or my iPad, it apparently syncs WHILE I AM TYPING in a note, creating multiple duplicates.

Also, neither app takes the top line of the note to make it the title, like it used to.

Also, I don’t find a setting to NOT automatically convert dashes into bullets anymore (although by being very careful, you can do a single backspace after the auto convert to change back to a dash).

This is a MAJOR bug. Why can’t the Evernote team give us an update on the situation and when it will be fixed? That’s customer relations 101. All we have so far is one short note from last week acknowledging that the problem exists  

• Thanks 1

I have been an Evernote user for a number of years, and this current version has to be the worst I have ever experienced relating to bugs. 
I mainly use Evernote within the IOS platform using my iPad & iPhone. 
Faults include, when editing a note the outcome is the unwanted auto creation of multiple copies of my note.  When I edit a note then return to it, my earlier edit was not found. Delays in sharing notes between my iPad & iPhone.

• Thanks 2
36 分鐘前, weidnet說:

This is a MAJOR bug. Why can’t the Evernote team give us an update on the situation and when it will be fixed? That’s customer relations 101. All we have so far is one short note from last week acknowledging that the problem exists  

They just say in response to individual Twitter that "asap".

As more and more users disappoint with no actions done, Evernote should release a blog article or Twitter to acknowledge. This time they fail to (they are unwilling to) do this.

Their ignorance seems like implying that "I got your money and paid an effort for a big new product, so what?".

On 9/16/2020 at 7:13 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

We've seen a few reports regarding this issue, and have been able to reproduce it.

Please continue to add your reports here if you encounter this issue.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Hi Shane,

Do you have any update for everybody regarding this issue?

It's really annoying and at least we should be able to downgrade the version.

I too am a long time user. Looks as this issue was brought to their attention last week. Why was the update not pulled. I just downloaded today the new update for iPhone 11 (IOS 13.7) and all this is happening. I found out about the bug now, almost a week later. Why continue to let this happen. Shut the upgrade off until you get it fixed. Makes the platform unusable at this time. 

On another note, why don't you make phone numbers be able to launch the phone app and call. This is also very annoying. 

Edited by tkramme
Another thing
  • Level 5

Because you have to release it, then get feedback, then analyze, then get the root cause, then develop, implement and test a fix ... and then integrate it with a number of other, similar issues into a new release code package. 

When all this is done, it is send to Apple, they check, make sure there is no malware, integrate it and finally release it at the AppStore.

A week is very short to make it from A to Z.

So we will have to wait and see what new releases will solve. I have asked as others that EN improve on the communication about which issues got solved when releasing new updates.

• Thanks 1

I agree that being able to revert to the previous version of Evernote would probably be the best short-term solution. I'm currently relying on other apps for notetaking on iOS, but would rather be back on Evernote sooner rather than later.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Just from user to user, trying to find out what happens:

Was the Windows Client open while you were in the iOS App ? Or did you open it later ?

What did you do - editing the note in iOS ? This means you created it, and then added text and photos step by step (as anybody does ) ?

• Level 5

My impression is duplicating only happens when another client is open at the same time.

Usually my Mac and Windows clients are closed. I did not have duplicating.

Yesterday I tried something where both needed to be open. And I had duplicating for the first time.

Conclusion: As long as it is not solved, we need to keep the desktop clients closed as a workaround.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

My impression is duplicating only happens when another client is open at the same time.

Usually my Mac and Windows clients are closed. I did not have duplicating.

Yesterday I tried something where both (Mac & iOS) needed to be open. And I had duplicating for the first time.

My conclusion: As long as it is not solved, we need to keep the desktop clients closed as a workaround while we edit on iOS. Just my 5ct ...

Yes, this is not what we expect. But still better to close another client than having to delete x copies of a note that only was edited.

• Like 2

I am not sure, whether the assumption fits to all users with that use case. When the note duplication happened to me, I was not at home and my computer was sleeping. I guess Evernote was open (it always is), but it is hard for me to imagine that this would have any influence on the issue as long as there is no internet connection.

41 minutes ago, JBGravesJr said:

Deleted & Reinstalled EN v 10.0.1 for iOS & seems Ok for last 24 hours

Thanks JBG - seems to have worked for me as well. I have (well, had) EN on 3 iOS devices plus Mac and have deleted EN from all iOS devices. Currently using reinstalled (new version) EN iOS on just iPhone and have made numerous edits and syncs to a test note on both iPhone and Mac - seems to be doing what it should with no more rogue duplicates! 

After an Edit, There seems to a green check mark (top left corner), if you touch the check mark, it changes to < symbol, touch the < symbol  again and note will close, sometimes the < symbol goes to up to the left of the time on first line and the app freezes

Sync conflict leading to multiple duplicated notes seems to happen as well if you have evernote opened on ipad (or iphone) - not in editing modus - while editing notes with another pc with the webversion of evernote.

5 hours ago, HeBoIz said:

Sync conflict leading to multiple duplicated notes seems to happen as well if you have evernote opened on ipad (or iphone) - not in editing modus - while editing notes with another pc with the webversion of evernote.

It happens in other situations as well as mine is not as you describe.  Not using any web version.

On 9/22/2020 at 4:47 PM, PinkElephant said:

Because you have to release it, then get feedback, then analyze, then get the root cause, then develop, implement and test a fix ... and then integrate it with a number of other, similar issues into a new release code package. 

When all this is done, it is send to Apple, they check, make sure there is no malware, integrate it and finally release it at the AppStore.

A week is very short to make it from A to Z.

So we will have to wait and see what new releases will solve. I have asked as others that EN improve on the communication about which issues got solved when releasing new updates.

Real developers test the product before not after release.  Amateurs.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, JonJon1 said:

Real developers test the product before not after release.  Amateurs.

Obviously you're not familiar with Evernote's process for public beta testing  🙂

Ain't my first Evernote rodeo

• Haha 3
On 9/17/2020 at 12:13 AM, Shane D. said:

Hi All, We've seen a few reports regarding this issue, and have been able to reproduce it. Please continue to add your reports here if you encounter this issue.

Please fix this annoying bug - quick! When can we expect a healed new version?

• Level 5

Yes, it needs to be fixed.

As a workaround: Keep other EN clients closed while you are in with the iOS client. The duplicates are created by syncing - no other clients open, no issue (at least when I tried, I could only get duplication by having my Mac client open and active at the same time).

31 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Yes, it needs to be fixed.

As a workaround: Keep other EN clients closed while you are in with the iOS client. The duplicates are created by syncing - no other clients open, no issue (at least when I tried, I could only get duplication by having my Mac client open and active at the same time).

I wish it were that simple.  I continue to get duplicates as fast as I can delete them with only my iPhone instance open.  I deleted the app from my iPad and it is not open on any Mac or PC, and no web version is ever used.  The duplicates continue to multiply.  Viruses could learn a thing or two from Evernote.  They have created a new lifeform.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Level 5

Maybe I am just lucky: To get any duplicates, I need to force it, and the way to do it is to open a desktop client (in this case on my Mac) simultaneously to the iOS client, and start to play with both. When syncing kicks in, duplicates are produced.

Without this no duplicates (sorry for that, guys).

Same Problem.  The first note (an existing note I've had for years) I tried to edit has been reproducing itself.  Created 20+ copies the first day.  Multiple attempts at deleting them on ios Ipad failed.  I could delete them but they would reproduce.  Tried deleting on other devices - same issue.

Entire notebook is slow, unpredictable, and at time completely blank.

Hopefully they have an update coming out soon - its unusable for me in this version.

Same here.  Evernote creates duplicate notes as I’m editing.  A duplicate is created with every few keystrokes.

This has happened before with "TV Viewing", and today with "Eye Examinations”.   Major annoyance.
Today, it created 261 copies of the note: "Eye Examinations”.
The notes propagate acrtoss all devices as well as the web app.  Deleting them (on the Mac) immediately removes the miscreants across all devices.
No data lost.
This coding error is at the very heart of a note-taking app.  It should have been fixed immediately.  Very disappointing.

KnutK

You say "We've seen a few reports regarding this issue, and have been able to reproduce it."

So then, what is the holdup exactly? I have been with you guys since 2008 and am a paying member. When are we going to see a fix in place? The lackadaisical approach isn't appreciated by your users. Evernote has done nothing but go downhill since Phil Libin left, in my opinion, and this laid back approach to problem solving is doing nothing but pushing users to other note repository services.

I’ll keep my eye on this thread to see if the duplicates issue is resolved, but having hundreds of additional notes to clean up every day makes the app unusable so I have to switch. In the ten years I’ve been an Evernote fan, I’ve never seen a bug this glaring, take this long to fix. It’s a special kind of torture when I use Evernote to journal my thoughts on what’s so challenging in this world ... and then! ... Evernote becomes an additional source of stress in facing those challenges! 😑

2006 - 2010: Google Notebook

2010 - 2020: Evernote

2020 - ?: Notion

• Like 1
  • Level 5

As a workaround: Use the Control Center, go to flight mode as long as working on a note. The issue is related to syncing, so you can probably cut the duplicating by not allowing the app to sync. Switch Flight mode off when you are done with editing this one note. Let it sync, or force it. When starting the next note, open it and go back to flight mode before editing.

Not very practical for a longer term, but maybe good to "survive" a few days.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

I'm sorry if this sounds rude but it blows my mind that this super critical bug sailing  through QA. It seems like it's affecting a LOT of users, so it's not like an edge case or something. There was a loooong development cycle to get to 10.0 and the fact that this was never noticed or caught just seems really inept.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
43 minutes ago, luckman212 said:

it blows my mind that this super critical bug sailing  through QA.

I don't this is a QA thing.  I see it as a management decision
From Evernote's blog   There are a handful of features ... that weren’t quite ready for today’s release, but we’re actively working to get those done and you should see them in one of our regular updates. 

3 hours ago, Ben Kubany said:

I’ll keep my eye on this thread to see if the duplicates issue is resolved, but having hundreds of additional notes to clean up every day makes the app unusable so I have to switch. In the ten years I’ve been an Evernote fan, I’ve never seen a bug this glaring, take this long to fix. It’s a special kind of torture when I use Evernote to journal my thoughts on what’s so challenging in this world ... and then! ... Evernote becomes an additional source of stress in facing those challenges! 😑

2006 - 2010: Google Notebook

2010 - 2020: Evernote

2020 - ?: Notion

I have to agree.  It now takes longer to delete duplicate notes than it does to make and edit them in the first place.  The service is completely unusable in its current state and the Q/C team has clearly fallen asleep at the wheel. Not a product worth paying for any longer.

• Level 5

Better QA is for sure an issue for EN, especially if they really want to deliver small upgrades monthly, and major ones every 3-6 month. It is hell on earth (for users, support and developers) when you are releasing the next generation while still fixing the old bugs.

I just want to state that not everybody has this duplicating issue. I had to force it by opening and editing the same note on iOS and Mac at the same time. Apart from this situation, no duplication in my case. So there is probably another factor that leads to the problem - things like that are sometimes hard to find even with a solid QA. I think as much users with that problem as possible should issue support tickets, to put the  solution on a solid foundation of bug reports.

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

I don't this is a QA thing.  I see it as a management decision
From Evernote's blog   There are a handful of features ... that weren’t quite ready for today’s release, but we’re actively working to get those done and you should see them in one of our regular updates. 

Hard to believe that syncing would be considered a feature so that’s probably not it.  The management decision has to do with tolerating poor QC.

21 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Better QA is for sure an issue for EN, especially if they really want to deliver small upgrades monthly, and major ones every 3-6 month. It is hell on earth (for users, support and developers) when you are releasing the next generation while still fixing the old bugs.

I just want to state that not everybody has this duplicating issue. I had to force it by opening and editing the same note on iOS and Mac at the same time. Apart from this situation, no duplication in my case. So there is probably another factor that leads to the problem - things like that are sometimes hard to find even with a solid QA. I think as much users with that problem as possible should issue support tickets, to put the  solution on a solid foundation of bug reports.

Deleting notes seems to be the step required to enter the nastiest form of duplicate hell.  I’d say try it but I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy.

12 hours ago, Wilburguy said:

FYI- folks on this forum were reporting that the web version was repeating notes  in July/Aug. Coincidence? Same code base?

"I've got a bad feeling about this" - Han Solo

I could log into the Web Interface but not access my notes, only see the titles on the left side.   The server was also very slow.   I never use the web version anymore since there are apps on all platforms now.  My GTD note repeated the same data about 9 times making a HUUUUGE note.  

11 minutes ago, Cherice B said:

New iOS version of Evernote v 10.0.2 doesn't fix a damn thing 😡😡😡

May be a couple of your issues are not fixed. But there surely are some things that seem to be solved with v.10.0.2, at least for others.

Please just name what isn‘t fixed from your point of view.

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, Danno321 said:

The MacOS apps work fine sync'ing.   The iOS and iPadOS do not sync well.  So it must be the app code.  

I'm not experiencing sync problems (iPad)   
The duplicate/conflict notes issue is resolved for me with the latest release (v10.0.2)

6 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm not experiencing sync problems (iPad)   
The duplicate/conflict notes issue is resolved for me with the latest release (v10.0.2)

Syncing is working better for me now.  Maybe an index had to be rebuilt.    

5 minutes ago, Danno321 said:

Syncing is working better for me now.  Maybe an index had to be rebuilt.    

I am finding after an initial issue, that the duplicate note problem is gone for me with 10.0.2

But downloading several small (less than 50 notes) offline folders has still not completed after many hours.. this would take a few minutes with the "old" Evernote.

• Level 5

Downloading notes for offline use is now working for me, with EN iOS 10.0.2. Doing it "All in" did not work, however. So I decided to do it by selecting the notebooks in cycles.

My iPad Pro 10.5 / 512GB is put to this config:

• Auto-off is off, iPad is connected to a power source, 5GHz WiFi
  • EN 10.0.2 is loaded and open, I then selected settings, notebooks, offline-notebooks, download selected notebooks is visible.
  • Now I choose 3-4 notebooks at a time, I have started with smaller ones, currently I pick the large ones as well. Note count goes up to appr. 1.000 notes in one of the largest ones.

The iPad is downloading, while I do other stuff (including EN on my Mac). When it is down to the last notebook I selected, I pick the next few. It is running since a while, but it permanently downloads, the green progression bars are moving, one notebook after the other is done. From my feeling download speed is comparable to the older versions of EN iOS.

4 hours ago, HeBoIz said:

May be a couple of your issues are not fixed. But there surely are some things that seem to be solved with v.10.0.2, at least for others.

Please just name what isn‘t fixed from your point of view.

The title of the thread... Duplicates are not fixed with the latest Evernote build for iOS...

The issue started for me when using the previous ios version. I wasn't able to get the app to sync. I uninstalled and reinstalled, which installed the new version. I have all of the symptoms mention in this thread, with the additional report that the green sync symbol in the upper right corner of the note in the list will not disappear after successful sync until I force quit and relaunch the app.

It’s been more than a week since I OP-ed this.

I don’t think it has improved enough with the 10.0.2 update downloaded yesterday.

To be fair, my iPhone doesn’t cause any duplication issues (but have other issues such as Notebook not showing). Currently, only taking notes on my iPad creates duplication issues. 

Please see attached screenshot for my line by line testing with different devices.

I don’t think the team is updating up regularly on this too. I plan to move to another note taking platform if this problem persists.

Thanks guys for sharing the same situation you are facing, on here. 

C0FF20C2-9A0E-42F3-9351-B4606FDF1AF7.jpeg

A3F7A70F-162B-4849-9D12-379D8D7FC328.jpeg