Can't access my note after entered passphrase

• Level 5*

Hi.

Sadly,  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005547

How to encrypt text in a note

You can encrypt text using Evernote for Mac and Evernote for Windows Desktop.

1. Open a note and highlight the text you wish to encrypt
  2. Right-click or control-click the highlighted text and select "Encrypt Selected Text"
  3. Enter a passphrase into the form. You will need to enter this passphrase whenever you attempt to decrypt this text.
    Do not forget this passphrase because Evernote does not store this information anywhere.
  4. Once you have set the passphrase and confirm, the text will be encrypted

• Level 5*

You could try checking the same note via Evernote.com in a browser - maybe the local PC version was corrupted somehow.  It might be worth subscribing (even if only for for a month) to see whether Evernote Support can in some way assist.  You may be able to restore a backup from a previous version of the note if your system takes regular backups... I can only offer you random suggestions really.  I've never had or heard of an issue with the text encryption process,  and I don't know whether it there's any way back into a note if it's not recognising the password.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Docklands999 said:

does it mean I can never get it back? It appears to be a bug as I have never changed my passphrase since initially set. Will evernote can restore a working version, like back to where it worked before?

How about restoring an earlier version from backups    
I have personal backups, and Evernote has a Note History Backup

More  info at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313858-How-to-use-note-history-to-view-older-versions-of-a-note     
Access is a paid feature,  but you can subscribe for a single month

• 3 months later...

Did anyone come up with a solution, or at least an explanation, for this?

I have had the same problem - I've been using Evernote for years, have never changed my encryption password and suddenly it won't recognise it, either on the desktop version, nor on the web version.