Finding clippings that might be the same or very similar

MakWada

Idea

After clipping a lot of notes, how can I go back after a while to find out some of them might be of the same clipping.
Is there a way to sort by how similar the clippings are to each other (same content  -> same title -> same url -> similar size of the note -> timestamp, etc.)
Is there a way to find duplicates or find the latest one so you can discard the old ones to free space and clean up the search space?

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5

If you want to see duplicates to a specific note, I found the easiest way to look for a very specific word in it, and search for this word. Usually it turns up a few hits, that are revised fast manually.

Another option can be the intelligent search function that will show related notes when you open one. But this can be far off, and like many AI functions you rarely know on what the findings are really based.

AFAIK a general search for (near) duplicates does not exist.

Thank you both (PinkElephant & gazumped) for your comments. Yes, the following was what I was looking for ...

On 9/29/2020 at 5:35 PM, PinkElephant said:

a general search for (near) duplicates does not exist.

Also thank you (gazumped) for the following article: Evernote Clean Up: Should I clean up my act in Evernote?. It was very easy read (easy to follow logic), informative, and entertaining. I am beginning to agree with you. If the notebook is just for me (my personal use) then it is not worth the hassle of cleaning it up rigorously. And ... since the notebook is just for me, I won't worry about cleaning it up that much.

Regarding the article, who are the people in the picture in circle (color) and in the picture in the background (greyscale). Sorry, I had to ask. Also what does "SC" in "SC 20200929" stand for?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, MakWada said:

who are the picture in circle and the picture (color) in the background (greyscale). Sorry, I had to ask. Also what does "SC" in "SC 20200929" stand for?

@MakWada - So as not to hijack this thread I started a new one over here with the answer to your question.  If you or anyone else has more queries about blogs,  please post 'em there! 😊

I am new to this forum so, thank you (gazumped) for not hijacking the thread and letting me know the etiquette of forums. So important in these days and age. Also sorry but I changed the comment to the following since I realized there was a mistake in my writing. I hope the changed version is more readable.

19 hours ago, MakWada said:

Regarding the article, who are the people in the picture in circle (color) and in the picture in the background (greyscale). Sorry, I had to ask. Also what does "SC" in "SC 20200929" stand for?

Not that I want the feature that badly anymore (after reading your Evernote Clean Up: Should I clean up my act in Evernote?), I did think of an interface so I am just posting a comment ... just in case Evernote plans to implement it. It is more of a personal reply to myself. So it is not worth replies from others. It is probably not well thought out and I have lost much of the appetite for this feature. However I just jotted them down. Below is an interface for showing duplicate (or near duplicate) results. To simplify things, a single Evernote can only be bundled (belong) to the most closest duplicate.

PossibleDuplicateResults.thumb.png.0ac01bcf3d696df7614c63dcef812729.png

The interface for searching for duplicate (or near duplicate) might be something like this for example:

• Not duplicate if "Title" is not the same (check box)
  • Not duplicate if "URL" is not the same  (check box)
  • Not duplicate if "Content Match" is less than ●●●% (slide bar from 0% to 100%)
    (Use dynamic programming to calculate "Content Match")
  • Like 1
  • Level 5*

Answering your question more directly this time - if you right-click the header bar in List view (in the current Evernote for Windows installed client) you get a list of columns which can be added or removed from the display.  One of them is 'source URL' and it's possible to sort the list in ascending/ descending order by clicking on the header title.  Another is 'Source' which will show whether the note was created by email, clip or whatever.  Choose anything which looks helpful,  then Ctrl+A to select all,  and copy/paste into a spreadsheet.

Each line will include the local note link to that note,  and you can use a spreadsheets more advanced sorting features to do so by source URL / size (forinstance) and check possible similarities by clicking links.  Any automation software (IFTTT, Zapier etc) can take some of the work out of that for you,  but whether the amount of work involved is worth the  result is up to the user.  

For more advanced users - if you're working on a Mac,  there's scripting,  and (even) Windows has some scripting features that might help too.

(Darn:  I should include this in my blog note,  shouldn't I?  🤔!!)

gazumped, it will be interesting how it is done, especially how to transfer the information to spreadsheet (Excel) so you can use advanced sorting features and then transfer back the info to Evernote so it can be deleted. I am also interested in other thing mentioned below (IFTTT, Zapier):

On 10/1/2020 at 8:14 PM, gazumped said:

you can use a spreadsheets more advanced sorting features to do so by source URL / size (forinstance) and check possible similarities by clicking links.  Any automation software (IFTTT, Zapier etc) can take some of the work out of that for you,  but whether the amount of work involved is worth the  result is up to the user.  

If you do write an article, then I will most certainly read it ... however you have convinced me with Evernote Clean Up: Should I clean up my act in Evernote? 😄. You have turned me into the dark side 😆 .