Jump to content

Title not imported when clipping an article in IOS


Recommended Posts

NB: I was a beta tester for this newest version and provided this feedback then.

When clipping an article using IOS, Evernote used to guess at the title (I think by capturing the first set of words.) Now the title is left blank. This is a real pain because (1) I want to use the exact title the author did, and (2) I'm lazy and don't want to have to look for it and type it in.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Level 5

There are several issues that break my workflow when clipping from iOS:

  • The title is not created, I have to type it in
  • I can’t set my tags right away, I always have to go to the note and set them in EN
  • Another issue is that the clipping format is weird, and there is no simplified clipping

Those issues need to be addressed. I have seen in another forum thread that EN has announced these to be items on their backlog list of missing items that will be delivered with already planned updates. I have an open support ticket about this. So let’s hope ...

Link to comment
  • Evernote Staff*
40 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

There are several issues that break my workflow when clipping from iOS:

  • The title is not created, I have to type it in
  • I can’t set my tags right away, I always have to go to the note and set them in EN
  • Another issue is that the clipping format is weird, and there is no simplified clipping

Those issues need to be addressed. I have seen in another forum thread that EN has announced these to be items on their backlog list of missing items that will be delivered with already planned updates. So let’s hope ...

@John WG & @PinkElephant Thank you for your patience. We are working on missing tag and title functionalities and they should be included in future releases. For simplified clipping, you can click on the html block and select the highlighted icon to simplify the clip.

InkedScreenshot_20200928-135237_LI.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
  • Level 5

Nice feature, the result looks more or less like clipping simplified with Web Clipper on the Mac. Still it means I have to go to the EN app to apply it.

Another method that worked pretty well in the past (giving that there was no real web clipper for iOS) was the iOS shortcut „Share article with Evernote“ from the EN shortcuts library. But this has stopped working, resulting in an empty note with an error message. Are there plans to review the EVERNOTE shortcut library ?

image.thumb.jpeg.0a2135ec145dd44c19fa072fde95489f.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Evernote Staff
On 9/28/2020 at 3:03 PM, John WG said:

Evernote used to guess at the title (I think by capturing the first set of words.) Now the title is left blank. This is a real pain because (1) I want to use the exact title the author did

In the meantime, on the new version it seems like you may be able to work around this and still get the desired result by actually leaving the share window title blank and saving. Then when you view the note in Evernote, it will be created with the default title from the webpage without having to manually add/copy it. This should quickly get you the same default automatic title content you'd get from the previous version if you don't want to add a custom title yourself.

  • During save with no custom title added
    Before.thumb.png.ee1572e6d3dcd0f5381ca761dcc8b45c.png
  • Appearance in Evernote after the save
    After.thumb.png.f6fa919677e9411d29dee02ac66e77cb.png

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
On 9/29/2020 at 10:54 PM, Jay-Bob said:

Then when you view the note in Evernote, it will be created with the default title from the webpage without having to manually add/copy it. This should quickly get you the same default automatic title content you'd get from the previous version if you don't want to add a custom title yourself.

I just tested it and it works. Unfortunately, that is not intuitive at all and I understand that it might confuse most users. I would expect that the title is displayed as the default text in the Share screen and can be edited as wished. In that case the user directly sees what to expect when sharing content with EN.

And couldn't "simplified clipping" be an option to directly be included in the Share Screen? Maybe as a checkbox which remembers the previous selection.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 1 month later...

How can this not be QA’d before release??  The workaround noted above of letting the default title be created does not work all the time. Plenty of examples in various news sites that don’t even copy over the article itself (just copies over the menu links on the page). Why am I paying for a buggy service like this?  Does anyone know when this is scheduled to be fixed (other than in the nebulous “future versions?”

Link to comment
  • Evernote Staff

Hi @ToddMS, agreed, it makes more sense to display the default title right away rather than as originally implemented to leave the title window blank to enable quick custom titling/tap save to get the website's default title. We do also want to ensure we have record of any news site that may not be accounted for yet - do you have any examples that aren't working with saving the default title or article itself? We're working on improving in all these areas, but no specific eta available yet. Thank you for mentioning this.

Link to comment
  • 3 weeks later...

@Jay-Bob - sorry for the delay here.  It happens on many websites randomly.  Often times on news sites like FoxNews I find that just the menu links get copied over.

Things are getting worse it seems.  Not only are (a) the titles not importing (per this thread), and (b) what I am seeing on certain sites where only the menu links get copied over (vs the content of the article page itself), but now (c) when I clip an article in iOS (from my iPhone), the articles don't even make their way into my Evernote at all (I checked trash, I checked in web view, and nothing shows there at all).  This is a big part of my usage of Evernote is clipping articles from my iPhone and now that functionality is gone.

Happy to chat more or talk via phone if more convenient to troubleshoot.  Thanks again!

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...