Date index and handles missing from sidebar

WKMIV

Idea

The sidebar function that allowed grabbing and fast scrubbing while at the same time giving feedback about the current positions date of entry range is broken.  In fact the sidebar doesn’t even emerge from under the header bar until you scroll down far enough.   Broken UI issue.

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Just to make this clear: Are you talking about scrolling a regular note, or a pdf ?

In general: This is a user forum. We can exchange discoveries, workarounds and sometimes solutions.

If you want EN to recognize an issue and ideally take action, issue a support ticket. I have started to do so after waiting a week for updates, giving 10.0.2 a deeper test and exchanging experience with other users here. Many things that did not work with the initial release now do so, but there is ample "room for improvement".

Really what I want to do, is ***** about every shortcoming of this release down to punctuation in every relevant venue I can find.  In this case, I’m talking about scrolling a list view of notes within a notebook.  Previously, the sidebar had a handle function so you could grab and scrub vertically now it appears not to, which is either a new flawed design decision or an unintended bug.  Additionally, while you were performing scrubbing, the sidebar indicated by date where you were in time along the list of notes within the notebook so you could instantly and easily navigate to Jan 1 2018 for example.  By mistake, or on purpose neither of which is acceptable the scroll bar no longer does this.  

• Level 5

The Scroll bar indicator is there - it just seems to be hidden behind the top GUI elements above the note list initially. When you scroll further down, it appears (see screenshot). What is no longer there is the date indicator. It was nice to have, but I can do without, because I can always see the date in the notes List.

image.thumb.jpeg.1a47eb0242c2019621036f3c707b23ae.jpeg

• Like 1

Also no longer there is the handles that let you scrub scroll the list.  Now you’re a hamster on a wheel to get anywhere, and the side swipe listener is too sensitive meaning your chances of accidentally selecting rather than scrolling is too high.

• Level 5

Yes, it is just a standard indicator that shows you the relative position of the notes displayed to the notebooks total content.

The version before I liked better, but I think there are other issues of greater concern with EN iOS ver. 10 at the moment. I am not sure if the new programming framework allows for details like this - even if these details set a software apart from others.

If we want it to go to the backlog, we probably should issue a support ticket.

47 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

I am not sure if the new programming framework allows for details like this - even if these details set a software apart from others.

And there it is.  The new Evernote framework is contrived specifically for their benefit.  Easier coding by less talented engineers with  fewer platform teams and to be more profitable within a stale sub base.  They’ve begged and borrowed VC money against growth that never came, and won’t.  Now somehow it’s long standing premium users with highly evolved workflows responsibility to suffer their continued incompetence?  At some point growth plays become dividend plays, and maybe just maybe there’s a limit to the growth potential of a notebook app.  We’ve done our part and paid up.  Redacting features, breaking workflows, and compromising user data integrity on the backs of the people that have supported them is completely unacceptable.  As a stakeholder I’m calling for Ian Small’s dismissal and a rollback to the previously stable release.  To call this version an improvement is simply a lie.

• Level 5

Have you watched the videos explaining what the situation was, and what will be done ?

EN supported and supports 5 clients: Win, Mac, iOS, Android and Web. Each of these is more or less on a yearly release schedule. Each was coded based on client specific code, no chance for code sharing or code libraries. One side effect was that the user experience was split, it depended and depends on the client used. I can tell, I use Mac, Windows, iOS and sometimes Web on Linux. In the end, they probably were just hurrying to meet the release schedules of the OS drivers, not developing anything new. Any new feature needed to be developed 5x, needed to be added 5x to the code base, and supported 5x from then on. This is how you waste your resources.

This is what killed progress. Instead they started to design socks.

You can blame Ian Small for many things, if you want. He is CEO and this means „ultimately responsible“. But his analysis that EN had reached a dead end when he started is the very same you describe: No progress, slow on fixing bugs, etc. He started a program to rebuild EN, stating that unifying the user experience over clients is one of the strategic goals.

For me it is clear that this means „Less functions overall, but the same functions everywhere“. It means a shared code base as well, and this means the chance for progress in the future, and faster bug fixes. I was impressed how fast they rolled out 10.0.2 with major fixes (and less impressed that 10.0.0 made it to release before).

My personal view is: I will watch the game, and maybe contribute some ideas here, plus some support tickets. The key test for the new EN world for me is the Mac client - there is more to it than just the iOS functions, and I rely on it for all my heavy lifting. If it works - fine. If not, I probably have a strategic issue of my own.

Yes, I’ve seen I’m pretty sure all of their story about the 10.x thinking.  I don’t care about their 5X problems, none of us should.  Their not our problem.  In fact, I don’t care at all about the experience on any platform I don’t use.  Just as we all have and do, we took their tool and incorporated it into our workflow.  If they want to improve their experience, it better be to our benefit.  Otherwise they can design from the ground up another product, call it 4Evernote and put it on the market next to Evernote and give it all the love it needs to get my $ in addition or alternative to Evernote.  However, to think that anyone with cognitive function above infant would sit in a production meeting and legit think it was okay to go gold with biz card scanning not syncing to native contact manager, but instead say “that feature’s coming” is absurd. Ian’s organization made that simple horrible decision amongst many. He’s clearly incompetent. One simple example, of 100s I could cite after a week or so of torture.  If they think they can do better than Evernote v8.x, fine prove it.  But stand 10.x up against 8.x, make your case it’s better and let us chose.  The current state is an absolute violation of our trust.

• Level 5

As long as you stick with EN, the issue of a code base that can’t be supported any more is your issue, because you can’t isolate from the outcome like missed updates of OS platforms or bugs not fixed.

You can ignore it, you can decide to live with it, or you can walk away.

EN management has decided to change that. They made an effort, rebuilding the server platform first in the background, and changed the framework the app development is based on. This decision was taken a long time ago, probably more than 2 years. All relevant code since was written using the new tools.

They will now roll out what is based on that decision. Not doing so would be enterprise suicide for fear of commercial death.

You can’t walk away from this roll out - iOS 14 is here now, MacOS BigSur will be released soon, etc.The drivers for change are the same as before. And competition is not sitting on their hands neither.

Your options for taking action are basically the same: Ignore it, learn to love it, or walk away. Short lived nostalgia is not on the list, I’m afraid. Just my 5ct ...

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
15 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

As long as you stick with EN, the issue of a code base that can’t be supported any more is your issue, because you can’t isolate from the outcome like missed updates of OS platforms or bugs not fixed.

You can ignore it, you can decide to live with it, or you can walk away.

EN management has decided to change that. They made an effort, rebuilding the server platform first in the background, and changed the framework the app development is based on. This decision was taken a long time ago, probably more than 2 years. All relevant code since was written using the new tools.

Concept is great, execution be lacking at this point.  Nice code base with less than adequate current function is not the best of recipes.  Basic function like sync not working well does not help.