The new version needs to be pulled (10.0.x)

Jeffsky

Idea

27 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 9/19/2020 at 8:02 PM, Jeffsky said:

Please give us back the legacy version until these many bugs are worked through!!!!!

I moved the discussion to the Feedback/Request forum   
To indicate support use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The "new" EN for iOS (specifically iPad OS 13.x) is beyond disappointing - it's almost unusable!  On my 9.7" iPad Pro EN has become less then acceptable.  EVERNOTE, BRING BACK A LEGACY VERSION FOR DOWNGRADE or risk losing your clientele.  I've been with EN as Premium since June 2011, and now, on a day that I don't have time to do it, I've got to figure out another option, and possibly move to another app (such as OneNote, or Keep).

I use EN on: 2015 Apple MBP; iPhone 7; 9.7" iPad Pro; Custom Dell PowerEdge t7600 Win 10 Pro; Surface Pro 3.  I have not updated my iPhone, and will not, until this issue is resolved and running smoothly.

• Like 1

Agree with everything that's been said here.

This release is absolutely the worst piece of software ever released by a big-name/well-funded company.  It is garbage.

A way to downgrade is essential.  Give it a new name if you need to fool Apple.  Maybe something like EverWorks;  or change the version 10 name to EverCrap.

I was one of the very early users when these guys got started (June 2009 to be precise).  Highly disappointed and ready to bail for some other platform.

• Like 1

The user/subscriber base needs Evernote to function properly, we pay for that.  

Get it out of the App Store and off our devices until it works, properly.

We’re your customers, not your beta team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Evernote must republish the old v8 as separate App with a now name in the App Store.
It is not a duplicate or spam the store, because the old version has a unice featur: It works!

Please dont't argue it is not allowed by Apple. 

My main issues in v10

• Offline Notebooks never finish to download
  • Search within a note doesn't jump to the found position.
  • When I close a note it doesn't sync notes and I lose content in notes.

I bought my first iPad 6 month ago to use it as a digital notebook with evernote as main app. Since Evernote v10.1 I don't use it. This thing is for 24h x 5 days a week offline. V10 is simply *****. Sorry to say that.

Please resubmit the old iOS version to the Apple store

Evernote management: the new app is rubbish! You need to fix it ASAP, I am serious! Or launch Evernote legacy for iOS and Android. Because this update is completely unacceptable. I have never, ever, seen an app go from amazing to utter disaster so fast. Updates are meant to streamline the product, not ruin it.

PROBLEM 1: the app is soooooo slow—how can it be so slow!?! It takes several minutes (10, 15, even 20) to sync a few photos. And half of the time the app just crashes for no reason. 

PROBLEM 2: in the older version you could take a photo and put it in EN, with a tag, within SECONDS. It was great! Now you have to sync the photo AND THEN open the app on your phone or mac to tag it. It makes no sense. Go back to the old system please: sync and tag at the same time.

If you guys don't fix this mess quick I am not sure I will keep my subscription. 

Thanks for moving my post to a general discussion forum.  I’m not commenting in a general way however.

EN 10.x for iOS IS AN ISSUE.  That needs to be clear in ISSUES.  It’s a bit late to discuss options since it was determined that this garbage was somehow worth of our money.  People considering the app, or whether to upgrade deserve the fair warning we were not given.

I’m stunned that EN disrespected us all so very much to think this was at any level acceptable.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, WKMIV said:

I’m stunned that EN disrespected us all so very much to think this was at any level acceptable.  

I'm also disappointed with Evernote management

I'm not upvoting the request to pull the upgrade   
The decision to release was bad, but it's done.  
I believe we should give Evernote time to fix the issues

• Like 1

HOW DO WE GET BACK TO THE RPEVIOUS IOS (Pre-10.0) VERSION???

I am not seeing any answers from Evernote team on this.  Why are they not answering???  Maybe it's worse than we know.  Unless we get an answer in the next 24 hours, I'm jumping ship after being a Premium member since June 2011.  I cannot just put things on hold.  Do they not understand this?

• Level 5

Hi All,

I'm very sorry to hear about your experiences so far.

First, I want to make sure that you know that your feedback is being heard.

While I cannot promise that we will have direct responses each time, please know that your feedback in the forums is tracked/recorded daily, and is being relayed to our teams.

To answer the question about downgrading, the App Store makes it so that we cannot offer an older version of the app, so there is not a way to downgrade to a previous version at this time.  

As always, feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any other questions, and please continue to share your feedback and report issues here in the forums as you encounter them. 

(@ScottM1234 I've reached out directly via DM regarding your issues, so please feel free to reach out to me there if you have any other questions.)

(@Kyle McMillan, I'll be responding to your DM request ASAP.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 2020. 10. 7. at 오전 5시 32분, Shane D. said:

안녕하세요,

지금까지의 경험에 대해 듣게되어 매우 유감입니다.

먼저, 귀하의 의견이 듣고 있음을 알고 싶습니다.

매번 직접 답변을 드리겠다고 약속 할 수는 없지만, 포럼에서 귀하의 피드백이 매일 추적 / 기록되며 우리 팀에 전달되고 있음을 알려드립니다.

다운 그레이드에 대한 질문에 답하기 위해 App Store는 이전 버전의 앱을 제공 할 수 없도록 만들었습니다. 따라서 현재로서는 이전 버전으로 다운 그레이드 할 방법이 없습니다.  

항상 그렇듯이 다른 질문이 있으면 언제든지 저에게 직접 연락하고 포럼에서 의견을 공유하고 문제가 발생하면 계속해서 문제를보고 해주세요. 

(뿡뿡 귀하의 문제와 관련하여 DM을 통해 직접 연락을 드렸으므로 다른 질문이 있으면 언제든지 저에게 연락하십시오.)

(@Kyle McMillan, 최대한 빨리 DM 요청에 응답하겠습니다.)

Never use real Evernote.
I can't synchronize.`
I have not been able to connect with the support team for more than two months. (Only automatic reply mail is moved)

I don’t have to use apps like garbage

Never save important content.

Save it to another cloud or your own hard disk.

I don't know when it will disappear, and Evernote
I don't know.

On 10/6/2020 at 10:32 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

To answer the question about downgrading, the App Store makes it so that we cannot offer an older version of the app, so there is not a way to downgrade to a previous version at this time.  

It is not about downgrade.

Simply re-submit the pre v10 version as a second App:

- Make the icon grey instead of green

- name it: Evernote Legacy

- if Apple complains: Your users have heavy compatible issues with v10. It is strongly asked by your users. They want to go back!! Fixing v10 takes time. So we want to freeze the old version for a foreseeable time.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey @PinkElephant - it's not about spamming the forum, nor is it about a "beta blocker."  It is about putting trust into a company that is branding themselves as a trust-worthy company, paying for the premium tier of that application - and using it, I might add, rather happily and successfully since 2011 - only to have that same company that, by the way, suggests it's sole purpose is to help you remember everything, COMPLETELY FORGET how to handle their business.  This new app is an absolute disgrace. I agree with @Angry in response to @Shane D. - re-submit the "old" (yet working and highly functional) app back to the App Store as a legacy version.  Call it Evernote Legacy, or Evernote(L)...I don't really care, just bring back the functionality.  The idea that a company feels comfortable submitting a half-baked product as something other than a beta is lunacy.  (Also, just a side-note, this particular thread in the forum is specifically for people to voice their distaste and distrust of the current software.)

I don't know if Evernote cares, or is listening (other than @Shane D. - since he actually responds), but they stand at risk of losing more and more of their paying customer base.  I, for one, have had to look into several other solutions - and while nothing comes close to the functionality that previous versions of Evernote have given me, many apps exceed the current functionality that Evernote is giving me.  I know that my measly $100/year doesn't amount to much in the grand scheme of things...and sadly, it's looking more and more like I'll have to take that and invest in another company that can handle what I need.  I've got until June 2021 to make the decision, but, unfortunately, I'm being forced into looking at solutions.

Anyways...Happy Thanksgiving to all!  And here's looking forward to a date in the (hopefully, near) future when we can once again be thankful for the great product that Evernote has been...instead of Evernote being a has been great product!

• Like 2
  • Level 5

If somebody just copies and pastes the exact same ***** more than 10 times in different threads, regardless of what the original post is about, he is spamming. And if somebody is spamming, he is flooding the forum with verbal noise, not helping anybody.

There are other ways to contribute - or to leave.

Hey @PinkElephant - thanks for clarifying! Looks like, according to your count, I’ve got about 10 more times to “cop{y} and paste” the exact same thing (which, by the way, “t-h-i-n-g” is the only five-letter word that would appropriately fit into your usage of five asterisks 😎) — as I have yet to actually copy and paste anything. Sure, I’ve repeated some ideas, but in all actuality, and truly technically speaking — which is the issue here, the technical problems going on with EN — I have yet to copy/paste any previous comment(s).  

That being said, if what I have said in this or any previous post has offended you, I am sorry and do apologize.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Angry said:

It is not about downgrade.

Simply re-submit the pre v10 version as a second App:

- Make the icon grey instead of green

- name it: Evernote Legacy

- if Apple complains: Your users have heavy compatible issues with v10. It is strongly asked by your users. They want to go back!! Fixing v10 takes time. So we want to freeze the old version for a foreseeable time.  

I think Apple will consider users' experience and allow legacy app at least temporarily. User experience on Evernote is also the user experience on iPhone. Apple doesn't want to ruin it. It is obvious that Evernote is not willing to communicate with not only users, but also Apple.

But if Evernote insists on not submitting legacy iOS, I will see how I can ask Apple to pull down this buggy and maybe not secure v10.1 Evernote app. More than four weeks not improving! Many users who don't know they can find a workaround in this forum have been having issues of notes uneditable ("view only") for almost a month!

2 hours ago, Kyle McMillan said:

Hey @PinkElephant - it's not about spamming the forum, nor is it about a "beta blocker."  It is about putting trust into a company that is branding themselves as a trust-worthy company, paying for the premium tier of that application - and using it, I might add, rather happily and successfully since 2011 - only to have that same company that, by the way, suggests it's sole purpose is to help you remember everything, COMPLETELY FORGET how to handle their business.  This new app is an absolute disgrace. I agree with @Angry in response to @Shane D. - re-submit the "old" (yet working and highly functional) app back to the App Store as a legacy version.  Call it Evernote Legacy, or Evernote(L)...I don't really care, just bring back the functionality.  The idea that a company feels comfortable submitting a half-baked product as something other than a beta is lunacy.  (Also, just a side-note, this particular thread in the forum is specifically for people to voice their distaste and distrust of the current software.)

I don't know if Evernote cares, or is listening (other than @Shane D. - since he actually responds), but they stand at risk of losing more and more of their paying customer base.  I, for one, have had to look into several other solutions - and while nothing comes close to the functionality that previous versions of Evernote have given me, many apps exceed the current functionality that Evernote is giving me.  I know that my measly $100/year doesn't amount to much in the grand scheme of things...and sadly, it's looking more and more like I'll have to take that and invest in another company that can handle what I need.  I've got until June 2021 to make the decision, but, unfortunately, I'm being forced into looking at solutions.

Anyways...Happy Thanksgiving to all!  And here's looking forward to a date in the (hopefully, near) future when we can once again be thankful for the great product that Evernote has been...instead of Evernote being a has been great product!

We need to show empathy for those whom we call rants, think why they do this and that. I am really sick of Evernote never willing to respond. Many of those have been kind and polite for many years, providing detailed and valuable feedbacks and suggestions, and even spending 20 hours a day to test the new version. However they are not respected and they have no choice now. Did we see that fact?

You can see Mac/Windows clients still have many works to do, but seems they are giving up iOS version - more than four weeks not updating and improving. Issues on iOS is more serious than on desktop. Especially the "view only" issue which should be fixed within a few days after v10.1 although there is a workaround.

On 10/6/2020 at 4:32 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

I'm very sorry to hear about your experiences so far.

First, I want to make sure that you know that your feedback is being heard.

While I cannot promise that we will have direct responses each time, please know that your feedback in the forums is tracked/recorded daily, and is being relayed to our teams.

As always, feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any other questions, and please continue to share your feedback and report issues here in the forums as you encounter them. 

(@ScottM1234 I've reached out directly via DM regarding your issues, so please feel free to reach out to me there if you have any other questions.)

(@Kyle McMillan, I'll be responding to your DM request ASAP.)

Thank you for at least acknowledging the frustration of the ENTIRE EVERNOTE COMMUNITY. I can't IMAGINE that there are "some" people that aren't having the same issues we all are. All version of version 10 SIMPLY. DO.NO.WORK! I've used Evernote as a Pro User since 2009. I LOVED it until EN "attempted" to "make it better." Instead, they don't just have a few kinks to work out; as many others have said it's now completely unusable. Also, another user posted there were so many problems he could list them all, but DID attempt to list many. I not only have the same ones he has, but another list just as big as his. EN needs to FIRE everyone on the programming team since they clearly don't know how to make something better without killing it. With the HUGE number of users you have, it seems to me you stand to lose a HUGE amount of money when we ALL change to something else. If EN were MY company (and as a serial entrepreneur, I KNOW how to run a business), I would use EVERY resource available to me, and even LOSE money to create a FUNCTIONAL FIX to this MASSIVE problem. It appears the EN is just  putting Band-Aids (that also don't work) on each problem that comes up vs. just accepting Version 10 is a TOTAL FAILURE, paying whatever necessary to hire programmers that know what they're doing and get this problem fixed once and for all. When I went to downgrade before I lost my MIND, there are all sorts of disclaimers that downgrading was just temporary and would the ability to downgrade would soon be removed once you had the kinds worked out. Based on that criteria and the rate at which EN is trying to work out the "kinks," the downgrade option should be there forever. 

Also, by downgrading to 6.x, how do we know the desktop files will sync with the newer version of the web app? I read we can't downgrade the Android App (though there's a APK file stored out there somewhere), so does version 6.x sync with the Android version as well? I've been a computer consultant for businesses for 30+ years and have worked with virtually every software program out there since the DOS 1.0 days, be it industry specific proprietary programs, commercial, consumer, or mobile. I've seen it all and done it all, and yes I've seen plenty of publisher problems like Evernote, but in all of those years, across hundreds of programs (that also include hardware specific programs), I've NEVER seen a program go from the greatest thing since sliced bread to a BRICK so quickly! And worse, the 1000s of pleas for help have been virtually ignored. I finally, knowing I was wasting my time, submitted a support ticket at least two weeks ago, and as a Premium user I'm supposed to get support, but so far I haven't received a single message back from Evernote. This is simply unforgivable. Again, EN HAS the money, or SHOULD have with 250 million users I think it is, and if they'd like to keep their machine that manufactures money for them from 250 million  users, they should pull out ALL STOPS to fix the ENDLESS problems or their user base is going to drop like a rock (to employees only, just so they can keep their jobs!) and their income is going to drop below the light bill at your corporate office. I WISH I were exaggerating the HUGE number of problems I've been struggling with, along with 10s of thousands of others, but I'm not.

Thanks to Evernote's marketing back in 2009 forward, once it proved to be everything it said it was, I bought a ScanSnap scanner and over a period of YEARS slowly scanned every single piece of paper I had at my office and home to where I'm COMPLETELY paperless now. That's good... except it leaves me in a VERY vulnerable place having the records of 10 businesses and a family of 5 ALL buried in Evernote, including the histories of each entity, much of which is priceless in terms of having valuable records. I've got my ENTIRE portfolio of nationally recognized, award winning projects in EN, which I'm working to make into a biography, but not if EN continues to tank! 

Overall, I have over 22,000 notes, over 4400 tags and 300+ notebooks in a VERY idiosyncratic workflow structure and to risk losing it would be catastrophic! So for the sake of the owners, employees and vendors of EN and for the sake of 250 million people and companies that bought into your sale pitch and converted EVERYTHING to EN, PLEASE do something, and do it sooner than later or I TOO, like MANY others will have to figure out how to migrate to something more reliable (like granite tablets and a chisel!). 

As I practiced in my consulting business, and preached every time I talk to a tech company, you HAVE to understand that each user has their own, customized if not HIGHLY customized way of using any organizational product. To completely change the way that workflow has to operate is to KILL someone's time in the VERY least. I can't tell you how many 100s (maybe 1000s over the years) of hours I've spent trying to "fix" something Evernote the company broke. The strategy I live and die by when it comes to upgrading anything is

"Do whatever you like like that some group of individuals at EN "think" will make the product better, but NEVER, NOT EVER should you take away ANY functionality of the product that would mean the customer (you know, the ones that pay EN?) would have to completely rework their workflow." 

Last, since I HOPE I have an ear that might could get this message back to someone that the power to do something about this cluster-F...iasco, the BIGGEST risk you have is actually not directly the product, but the LOSS OF CONFIDENCE IN THE COMPANY, where even if they get this problem fixed, how does the customer know this won't happen again? If they think it may, and unless there are some MAJOR changes in the management structure that made the decision that led us to where we are, then I'd say the chances are excellent. I'm not pulling any triggers yet, as long as downgrading doesn't lose anything I currently have (that was clipped or saved into EN 10.x, but I will DEFINITELY be keeping my ears and eyes open for any alternatives on the horizon just in case this is never resolved. It's been a year now since 10.x was released and it's STILL a problem. If I had 250 million customers making LOTS of people millionaires through Evernote you better BELEIVE I would have had this fixed a LONG time ago. 

Thank you for reading this (assuming you did), and I hope you'll take my words seriously since the reflect the same words written my countless others. It's time to FIX OR GET OFF THE POT. 

Respectfully, 
A "Current" Premium user since 2009

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, JKS258 said:

Also, by downgrading to 6.x, how do we know the desktop files will sync with the newer version of the web app?

I'm still using the Legacy product.  
There's no issues with syncing to the servers

The v10 product is a wotrk-in-progress; I won't upgrade until the issues have been resolved

• Level 5

You could have gotten this information with a lot less words.

But good if you now feel better, and see your workflows assured.

Just remember if EN is a green tree, with legacy you are sitting on that dead branch on the tree. I think it will carry you for a while, but the growing takes place elsewhere. Since the server database allows to run both side by side, I would always keep a toe in the v10-water. 

First @pinkelephant, you seem to have deemed yourself the Forum Style Editor since you seem to like commenting on the style or someone else's writing, or the length of what they wrote, or how how you would have written it differently. You're free to write is whatever style is comfortable to you, and so is everyone else as long as they don't break whatever the forum rules say about language. I don't think I've EVER commented on the length of someone else's post since If I'm not interested in what they have to say, or they're taking to long to say it, I just skip it. Therefore, and no offense, but it seems rather petty for you to be the community watch dog on the length of the posts of others, don't you think? You aren't required to read what I write or what anyone writes, but if your problem is just with how I express myself, if you see my name just skip past it. It's very easy to do; you can use the vertical scroll bar or the down arrow key. If you get your jollies on criticizing others, please remove me from your list of those you feel the need to criticize, since your comments aren't going to change one thing about how I write or express myself. If there's a forum policy that restricts word count, please let me know where it is and I'll be happy to work within that count. Otherwise, there's a great Chinese proverb that says, "A gift is only a gift if you accept it." So thank you for thinking of me, but I respectfully chose not to accept your "gift."

This is at least the second time you've accused me of "venting," when I'm simply complaining, with just cause, about some VERY legitimate concerns about Evernote that have been going on since the day Version 10.x was released. And by the way, these complaints are being posted by at least 100s of others, most of which are as outspoken or more so than I am, because these problems have been going on way too long and people are frustrated. Therefore they're going to first just voice concerns or ask questions, but again after a year with ZERO improvement, the language tends to get stronger since Evernote IS monitoring every word of this site as stated by the Staff member who was nice enough to at LEAST say we were being heard. The last time you accused me of venting you told me that this was a "members only forum" and Evernote did NOT read it and I was wasting my time. Apparently you were wrong. Should I jump you for being wrong and publicly criticize you? For me that would be a no, since I criticize ISSUES not people. Do you "police" the others that are so outspoken about their frustration as well? It seems like you should if you're going to police everything I write. Maybe you just don't know what venting is? If I was GOING to vent, rest assured you wouldn't have to wonder if I was or not. 

As for the issue at hand, I'd rather sit on a "dead branch" that WORKS, that a "growing branch" that burns up HOURS of my day, every single day. Evernote, as the company hoped it would be, is the hub of my entire information system. So most of my day as a consultant and researcher is spent in Evernote. Having to keep the web version open in order to do things they desktop version will not is a HUGE waste of time and computing resources. This is NOT a small problem, which you would know if you read the other posts. I could make a list of at least 50 things that Evernote is doing or not doing that cause me to have to stop what I'm doing to find a workaround. So I think some "venting" as you call it, or FIRM communication about how these ongoing, FACTUAL and GROWING issues with Evernote affecting my business are well-warranted, and some of both the problems and especially the way they affect the end-user can't be stated in one or two sentences.

Using your preferred method of sending a message, I suppose it would be something like, "Evernote is broken, please fix it." A message TOO brief serves no one and DEFINITELY doesn't get anyone's attention without some energy behind it. 

Last, if I SAW some "growing" on this branch you speak of I might be more patient, but the growth all seems to be DOWNWARD, which each new release having more problems than the previous one. I'm also sure Evernote will notify their users when the legacy versions will no longer sync with their servers, but they'd be fools to do that until they FIX what is currently a boat anchor. And of course it not only affects my desktop version, but it has KILLED my Mobile version since there's no legacy version for that and the speed at which Evernote runs on a new Android phone is like watching grass grow. I've had to start using Google KEEP to gain quick access to important information I HAVE in Evernote, but anyone waiting on me to pull it up may as well have lunch while they wait. 

So thank you again for your attempt at being helpful, but the net affect of your comment was nothing but taking the opportunity to criticize someone for no reason other than you could. 

How about I'll sacrifice myself and happily ask you to NOT help me, even if you see the need to. That's a chance I'm comfortable taking and it will save you the effort. 

Whoops, guess what? Lots of reading to do again. Give that scrolling past my comments a try and see if that works better for you. I think you'll like it. 

Have a nice evening...