[WINDOWS] [Attachment] "This File Could Not be found"

Kumar Gaurav

Idea

Hi Team.
I Attach a no. of files on Evernote (Mainly PDF, Excel & Mind Master Mind Map). I am frequently getting the issue similar to those shown in the attachment.
It's OK when the file is read-only you can retry without loosing. But many times the file is editable. The file opens, You edit, and when you click save it shows this error.
This means the changes are lost because even if you save the file as a new file to the attachment directory of evernote, it won't be replicated back to the note .
Please help me resolve the issue
Please check the screenshot. One with Adobe Reader, Another with Mind Master Mind Map.

Anyone can help regarding this issue?

2020-09-27_19-22-42.png.69fe864f39507cb98cb55a25cbc0ee47.png

Thanks in Advance,

Best Regards,

Gaurav

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 9/28/2020 at 8:30 AM, Kumar Gaurav said:

This means the changes are lost because even if you save the file as a new file to the attachment directory of evernote, it won't be replicated back to the note .

Not 100% sure this is the case.  In my experience when I encrypt a PDF and try to save the file name is enhanced by Adobe which I don't want.  I navigate to the Attachments folder and select the file with the original name of the PDF and save.  The file does get updated back into the EN note. 

Are you saving to the Attachments folder with a different name than when you opened the attachment from the note?

Hi CaIS,

I have checked it and the changes are not replicated.

The problem is when I open the attachment in the evernote (by double clicking it), then the desktop application is triggered with the file name and path from the evernote attachment directory, but evernote failed to create the file in the first place.

I have checked it by going to the Database/Attachments Directory. Every time I get this error, the file was not present in the expected directory. I assume evernote failed to create the file in that directory and hence the error.

Any help / patch to resolve the issue. It's hampering the consistency of the attachment.

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, Kumar Gaurav said:

Hi CaIS,

I have checked it and the changes are not replicated.

The problem is when I open the attachment in the evernote (by double clicking it), then the desktop application is triggered with the file name and path from the evernote attachment directory, but evernote failed to create the file in the first place.

I have checked it by going to the Database/Attachments Directory. Every time I get this error, the file was not present in the expected directory. I assume evernote failed to create the file in that directory and hence the error.

Any help / patch to resolve the issue. It's hampering the consistency of the attachment.

The file should NOT be in the Attachments folder.  The Attachments folder is a temporary folder that EN uses when you modify an attachment with its parent program.  The Attachments folder is supposed to be cleaned up after you close the parent program but that does not always happen.  It is good practice to periodically delete everything in the Attachments folder.

I had issues in the past with Excel files that contained pivot tables.  Sometimes EN would change the file name and save that name to the attachment in the note.  That is to say the name of the attachment in the note changed.  Then EN couldn't find the file within itself.  Very weird and not good.  Maybe that is what is happening to you in some form.  You could test by adding a problematic attachment type to a note and editing it.  See what happens to the attachment name in the note.

My solution was to put Excel models with pivot tables in the cloud with a link to the cloud in a note.  I didn't care about indexing the models so no real impact to me, just click a link versus double click an attachment.  There was a plus as I got a better history of the versions of the models.  Not suggesting that would work for you

It seems like you're encountering issues with editing and saving files directly within Evernote attachments. Here are some steps you can take to address this problem:

For PDF Files:

1. Check File Permissions:
    Ensure that the PDF files you are attaching to Evernote are not set to read-only. Right-click on the file, go to "Properties," and make sure the "Read-only" option is unchecked.
  2. Use Default PDF Viewer:
    Ensure that you are using a standard and up-to-date PDF viewer. Adobe Reader is a commonly used PDF viewer, but you may want to check if there are updates available. Sometimes, using third-party or outdated viewers can lead to compatibility issues.
  3. Download and Edit:
    Instead of editing the PDF directly within Evernote, consider downloading the file, making your edits using the appropriate software (e.g., Adobe Acrobat), and then reattaching the edited file to the Evernote note.

For Excel Files:

1. Check Excel File Format:
    Confirm that the Excel files are in a format compatible with Evernote. While Evernote supports various file types, sometimes complex Excel features may not work seamlessly within Evernote.
  2. Use Microsoft Excel:
    For Excel files, it's recommended to use Microsoft Excel for editing. Ensure that you have the latest version of Microsoft Excel installed. Make edits in Excel, save the changes, and then reattach the updated file to Evernote.
  3. Sync Evernote:
    After making changes to the attached files, make sure to allow Evernote to sync. Sometimes, changes might not reflect immediately if Evernote hasn't synchronized the latest versions of the files.

General Tips:

1. Sync Evernote:
    Always sync Evernote after making changes to ensure that the latest versions of files are stored in the cloud.
  2. Attachment Size:
    Ensure that the size of your attachments does not exceed Evernote's upload limit, as this can lead to synchronization issues.

Contact Evernote Support:
If the problem persists, consider reaching out to Evernote support for assistance. They may be able to provide more specific guidance based on the details of your issue.

In addition to the troubleshooting steps mentioned above, if you continue to face challenges with editing and saving files directly within Evernote, consider leveraging external file-sharing services like Filemail as a complementary solution.

Using Filemail as an Alternative:

1. Upload Files to Filemail:
    If you encounter persistent issues with editing files within Evernote, you can upload the files, including PDFs, Excel spreadsheets, and Mind Master Mind Maps, to Filemail.
  2. Generate Shareable Links:
    Filemail allows you to generate shareable links for your uploaded files. This link can serve as a convenient reference within your Evernote notes.
  3. Link in Evernote Note:
    In Evernote, create a note for each file or group of files. Paste the Filemail link into the note. This way, you maintain easy access to the files even if direct editing within Evernote is challenging.
  4. Edit and Save Locally:
    Download the required file from Filemail, make necessary edits using the appropriate software on your local machine, and save the changes.
  5. Re-upload or Replace File:
    After making edits, you can either re-upload the file to Filemail or replace the existing file with the edited version. Filemail typically provides options for both scenarios.
  6. Link Consistency:
    By relying on Filemail links in Evernote, you ensure consistency and accuracy in accessing the most up-to-date versions of your files.
  7. Version Control:
    Filemail allows you to manage different versions of files. This can be useful for maintaining a version history, which might be essential if you frequently edit and collaborate on documents.