Hi! I am a Evernote Premium (MAC) user. I am often having a time delay ( not synchronized)in writing text on to a file. 
It makes me tired to wait for the text appear on the monitor. 
l would appreciate your help. 
This isn’t a recent problem rather a problem I have been bearing with for a long time. thanks!

khlee@gist.ac. kr

September 28, 2020

• 1 month later...

I have a relatively old mac (iMac Retina 5K, 27 inch Late 2014, with 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, MacOS 10.10.5 Yosemite, Evernote 6.12.3).

My Evernote application interactions are painfully slow as well. Such that I'll select and start typing only to find it didn't select what I wanted and now I'm overwriting something I didn't want to. This sort of interaction breaks momentum of thought, where you have ideas and thoughts to write down but the sluggish response breaks or impedes train of thought.

I attribute most of this to disk wear - my mac has an SSD which is nearly always full and thus the whole of it has been written and rewritten so much that I am certain the disk controller is constantly dealing with bad sections and fragmented data. Eventually I'll migrate to a new machine and I bet it will have snappier response rate.

Kwan Heng Lee: how old is your mac?

• Level 5

A SSD has no bad sectors or fragmentation. It can develop wear & tear of flash cells, which reduces the available storage. This is for a while compensated by over provisioning, which are spare cells reserved to replace worn ones.

Does you Mac has a full SSD, or a fusion drive ? Fusion drives are known to drastically break down in performance, once the SSD-part is full, and additional application data flows to the classical turning disk. In this case replacing the fusion drive by a full, large SSD can revive the Mac. SSD prices are so low these days that if your iMac has a replaceable drive, IMHO this is the way to get performance back.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have also a problem with delays in typing and when it shows in the note, extremely annoying and I will leave Evernote if I cannot get this fixed. Anyone knows how to fix it? I have a PC with good performance so the problem is not from that.

Many thanks!

Staffan

Hi! Staffan,

I had posted the same annoying problem several months ago. It seems like real-time typing cannot be achieved when the file is relatively big. From then on I broke down a file into many smaller sections and it started to work without delay. My suggestion to Evernote is to announce the file size that works on real time. I have had this delay problem for a long time and it is a shame. Nevertheless I am still using Evernote since I have to access my files from several devices. 
Thanks for the same comment to Evernote and I wish Evernote can help our problems. 

January 12, 2021

Kwan H Lee

• Like 1