Note taking, apple pencil, penultimate- HELP!

Hi. I've been using Evernote for a very long time albeit in a basic way so I want to stay on baord rather than migrate to another application. This weekend I have tried to simplify and speed up my workflow by handwriting notes and keeping them within my evernote. I have a few general and then specific questions: 

Essentially i'm enjoying handwriting my notes (quicker for me and I've learned about the science behind memory recall being better than typing), but i need apple's scribble to turn that into text so that I can copy and paste these notes into word documents etc. I have been able to do this fairly effectively using a note and then writing into the window- excellent.  However, when i've gotten beyond 3/4 of the page down, the real estate in which i can write becomes very small and the evernote keeps popping up 'related notes and articles'. I then type over that and of course I'm taken to a previous note etc- frustrating.  Is there a way to scroll up the note so that I have more real estate in which to write?  It just bounces down when I try.

In the meantime I thought that penultimate might help me, but am I correct in assuming it doesn't turn my handwriting into text?  If it does, how? There are very few settings from my quick navigation.

Lastly, does anyone have a list of keystrokes (i think thats the right phrase) for using the apple pencil in evernote? I cant seem to back space with the pencil, so i have to pull up the keyboard. Any links to pencil usage would be valuable. Thanks very much

• Level 5*

My preference is to use a dedicated handwriting app (Notability) and save the documents in Evernote as attachment files

Notability has it's own text transcription process

>>Lastly, does anyone have a list of keystrokes (i think thats the right phrase) for using the apple pencil in evernote? I cant seem to back space with the pencil, so i have to pull up the keyboard. Any links to pencil usage would be valuable.

Scribble info at https://support.apple.com/en-lk/guide/ipad/ipad355ab2a7/ipados838724472_ScreenShot2020-09-28at4_00_41PM.png.a5a2dd0dc47ab91a886ff291b052b07e.png

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You're using Evernote's sketch feature, which stores an image attachment file
My preference is to use a dedicated handwriting app (Notability) and save the documents in Evernote as attachment files

Notability has it's own text transcription process

They’re  talking about the new Scribble feature in iOS 14. Different than the sketch feature. 

On 9/26/2020 at 11:32 AM, Johnny Gees said:

Hi. I've been using Evernote for a very long time albeit in a basic way so I want to stay on baord rather than migrate to another application. This weekend I have tried to simplify and speed up my workflow by handwriting notes and keeping them within my evernote. I have a few general and then specific questions: 

Essentially i'm enjoying handwriting my notes (quicker for me and I've learned about the science behind memory recall being better than typing), but i need apple's scribble to turn that into text so that I can copy and paste these notes into word documents etc. I have been able to do this fairly effectively using a note and then writing into the window- excellent.  However, when i've gotten beyond 3/4 of the page down, the real estate in which i can write becomes very small and the evernote keeps popping up 'related notes and articles'. I then type over that and of course I'm taken to a previous note etc- frustrating.  Is there a way to scroll up the note so that I have more real estate in which to write?  It just bounces down when I try.

In the meantime I thought that penultimate might help me, but am I correct in assuming it doesn't turn my handwriting into text?  If it does, how? There are very few settings from my quick navigation.

Lastly, does anyone have a list of keystrokes (i think thats the right phrase) for using the apple pencil in evernote? I cant seem to back space with the pencil, so i have to pull up the keyboard. Any links to pencil usage would be valuable. Thanks very much

Scribble is so new that I’m not sure there’s a list out yet. Your best bet would be to check YouTube for iOS feature reviews. There may be some info on there. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Currently pencil support in EN is ... minimal. Scribble is added by iOS, as it is added to other apps as well.

If you want / need good handwriting recognition, use an app build for it, like GoodNotes 5 or (see above) Notability. You will notice that they are far superior to Penultimate, that basically got stuck in being a dumb stroke-grabbing app. It even lacks the smoothing abilities that makes handwriting much neater in the apps mentioned above.

On trying Apple scribble I regard the recognition quality as ZERO. First I do not use the letters trained in US schools. Second I do not write English words (most of the time). When I write with some speed, there is not a single word recognized correctly.

If I use GoodNotes5, I first write the text, then select it with the lasso tool, and click on convert. I rarely have to correct a word, nearly perfect.

If your scribble experience is better, you can use it to write into an EN note. Just place the pencil, start writing, and the handwriting is converted as go go. When the text appears, the handwriting is erased. For the gestures there is a little training program in iOS settings, Apple Pencil where you activate Scribble.

• Like 1

I have an update: so ideally I didn't want to work across 2 apps. I add things quickly on the go and need to see tihngs quickly too, so having to open a pdf will annoy me.  After some research I decided to buy a new keyboard from mazec and now when i open that up it has a space at the bottom of the screen with good recognition and tool which allow me to work within evernote. there are some palm touching probs which i'm trying to work out, but this has been the best work around to stay within the walls of evernote. 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
26 minutes ago, Johnny Gees said:

After some research I decided to buy a new keyboard from mazec and now when i open that up it has a space at the bottom of the screen with good recognition and tool which allow me to work within evernote

Thanks for the Mazec info  
I  used an early onscreen keyboard from Myscript and it also worked well 
I'm thinking these have been rendered obsolete with Apple's new Scribble function

• 3 weeks later...