Possibility to sync a .txt file sitting on my filesystem with a note?

It would go down like this:

I have plain text note in one of my notebooks. I keep it in Evernote for search and reference purposes, but I originally used a desktop plain text editor, like Sublime Text or Visual Studio Code to write it (I like markdown).

Can't Evernote have a way to monitor that specific text file on my PC (Windows, but could be on any platform) so that, when I launch the Evernote application, it would check for changes on that file and update the note? :)

• Level 5*
44 minutes ago, Leozin said:

it would check for changes on that file and update the note?

That function is not supported by Evernote   
I could use scripting on my Mac

That's sad. 

Where can i suggest as as feature? That would be really nice. 

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

That function is not supported by Evernote   
I could use scripting on my Mac

In the meantime, can you elaborate on how your script works?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Leozin said:

In the meantime, can you elaborate on how your script works?

I already have an import folder on my Mac
- monitored by Mac Folder Actions    
- triggers an applescript to update Evernote

Problem: Mac Folder Actions only monitors new files    
                 Script imports file and creates new notes

So scrap Folder Actions, and modify the script

The new script runs on demand    
or in the background and periodically retrieves the file date   
If the file date is changed     
- import the file   
- update the note     
- syncs the note to the server (and other devices)

• Level 5*

Hi.  Interesting question, but I can't think of a way to do this outside of scripting in Windows.  There are apps that will detect a file change and take action - like DropIt! - but they won't work inside Evernote. As @DTLow has pointed out,  Evernote won't carry out this sort of check.  Only compromise I can think of would be to keep the note as a 'template' in a folder n your hard drive,  and to have DropIt! watch that folder for changes.  The up to date version of the note could then be saved to Evernote.  You'd have a series of snapshot copies which could be deleted after an interval.

The easiest way to make this happen is simply to keep your text note in Evernote and have a desktop shortcut to open the note (either in a browser or within the Evernote app) so you can add changes.  Save and close the note and it will go back to being saved in Evernote.

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, gazumped said:

The easiest way to make this happen is simply to keep your text note in Evernote and have a desktop shortcut

As noted, having only one file copy is best; there is no sync issue   
We can go the other direction - the note is stored outside of Evernote and a file link is stored in Evernote

• Like 1

Thanks guys, but albeit inspiring those insights, they don't actually address the matter; I took a quick look at DropIt! like @gazumped pointed, but as far as I could see it can only monitor folders, not individual files. I also tried writing something up in the Windows Task Manager after reading @DTLow's approach but I hit a snag too. 

Maybe I'll suggest this as a feature, why not? :)

• Like 1