Strikethrough text when a checkbox is checked, Sep 2020

Hello, this has been asked by Remo in link 8 months ago.

As a ToDoer in Evernote I'd love that the text following a checkbox would switch to strikethrough and switched color to, let's say, light gray, when the checkbox is checked. It would be very helpful to the people with To Do lists. 

Has this been implemented so far? If so, how to do it so that checkbox would switch to strikethrough?

• Like 1

"Checklist" is a new feature coming with the new editor which so far is only implemented in the web-version and in the freshly updated iOS version.

It probably won't come in the desktop app for Windows before rebuilding and delivering this completly new built from the scratch on a new code base.

But looking at the actual hot discussions about bugs and lots of so far not implemented former features and functions of the new iOS version we better should leave time for evernote to get this fully tested and completeted with all functions we relay on.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Bets are open now: Will EN be the first company ever to deliver a bug-free Windows software ?

Stay tuned !

Question: What makes driving a submarine equal to using Windows software ?

Once you open the first window, the trouble starts ...

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

This is definitely a core feature that will be available across all apps in the very near future... expect some bumps in the roll out of all the different versions based on what we have seen with iOS, but it is safe to say that checklist strikethrough will be in all versions of Evernote very shortly unless they completely fall on their face over the next few months and collapse as a company (which seems entirely unlikely)

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
8 minutes ago, MikeRothLA said:

Does anyone know if there is a way to turn OFF the strikethrough feature when checking boxes?

No, there is no option to disable strikethrough

Strikethrough only triggers on Checklists (Checkboxes in a list)

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, MikeRothLA said:

Does anyone know if there is a way to turn OFF the strikethrough feature when checking boxes?

just use a checkbox instead (strikethrough is a checklist feature)

• Level 5

Hey, strikethrough is so COOL.

It makes working down your ToDo-lists a real daily highlight: Take that, nasty frog-job of the day ! Swooosh- gone

Checkboxes are good for designing active templates with options that need consideration and confirmation. You can position them freely, even more than one in a row of text, and they work independently from one another.

But for a real list, nothing beats the new checklist ! Bang, bang ....

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, stocky2605 said:

just use a checkbox instead (strikethrough is a checklist feature)

Ah, I did not realize there was a difference! So I see the checklist feature is under the "MORE" menu when composing a note.  I don't see where the checkbox option is?

• Level 5

When in edit mode, click on the blue „+“ - symbol. A menu will pop up, there you find the checkbox as an item.

Checkboxes always stand alone. When you have one and click on enter, there will not be a new line with a checkbox added, only a new line. If you want to create a list with checkboxes (instead of a checklist), create the list first, then select it, go to the blue +, and select checkbox.

Against what one would expect (overwrite all selected stuff with one new checkbox) it will add a checkbox in front of each line of text. But again: If you add another line to the existing ones, the new line will come without a checkbox.

32 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

When in edit mode, click on the blue „+“ - symbol. A menu will pop up, there you find the checkbox as an item.

Checkboxes always stand alone. When you have one and click on enter, there will not be a new line with a checkbox added, only a new line. If you want to create a list with checkboxes (instead of a checklist), create the list first, then select it, go to the blue +, and select checkbox.

Against what one would expect (overwrite all selected stuff with one new checkbox) it will add a checkbox in front of each line of text. But again: If you add another line to the existing ones, the new line will come without a checkbox.

@PinkElephant just tried the checkbox - after hitting „enter“ I get a checklist item (!) and the new line starts with a checklist item, too (!) (on iPad)

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

It is more complex than I thought:

This is how it looks after I typed some lines, selected them, opened the blue + menu and chose Checkbox:

1B3E7769-815B-4966-B89F-292B2F1E7EF9.thumb.jpeg.beba61abb296995f01a81c2f11f3150f.jpeg

Checkboxes ... just ticked 2 off to show

When I now hit „enter“, it autoconverts to a checklist, and adds another checklist row:

E65D7D43-D437-490D-9012-A9676EB52265.thumb.jpeg.b9763065c7a01eeae0a09805fb17d791.jpeg

Checklist ... see it even copied the check status to the other format, from x to swash & strikeout.

Conclusion: Hey, EN listens to users, they red this from the forum ! Hey, EN does not listen to users, they just were not ready with the first release!

Whoever knows - I think they changed this, probably with v10.1. Very nice 👍 

But still you can format a list with Checkboxes - just avoid to hit Enter when the cursor is in that list.

Or get used to checklists and strikeout - I do !

• Thanks 1

I for one am not happy with the latest changes and this check (box)-(List) one is not helpful for me. I have a very looong list of check listed items from the old version and I do not want the strikethrough to happen. Not only that, but when I opened my note in the new version about 2/3rds of the list were checkboxes and the last 1/3rd were checklists (with the strikethrough). It took some time to track down the difference (box vs list) and a bit of trial and error to get the checkbox in front of every item  and get them "checked". However - when I press enter to add a new item it changes 1/3rd of my list back to to the checklist style and adds the strikethrough. I can get back out of it using the delete key. So I tried just moving down to the next line (no box no nothing) and hit return. Again 1/3rd of my list switched to checklist and the rest stayed checkbox. How about adding a checkbox and then hit enter? Still converted 1/3rd of my list to checklist (with strikethrough). I'm not about to redo the whole list (it's very looong) so am I stuck with having to go through physical gymnastics (enter/mouse/click/delete/enter/etc) every time I want to add to my list? No thanks Evernote - this update is not for me.

On 9/25/2020 at 2:14 PM, PinkElephant said:

Bets are open now: Will EN be the first company ever to deliver a bug-free Windows software ?  Stay tuned !

And sadly the answer is....drum roll please....an epic fail.  The latest release of Strikethrough Checkboxes is an utter fail...at least on iPhone and Mac.  Sometimes my wife and I see the new strikethorugh version, sometimes the new one.  All our devices are updated to the latest version.  I even went so far as to create a COMPLETELY NEW note, and somehow, the old style non-strike through checkboxes will show up.  PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP.  Can't tell what to buy or not now.

I for one don't like this new "feature". There should be an option to have it strikethrough or not.  I actually like to be able to easily read the text at all times and the strikethrough is not as easy on the eyes. I see above that some like it, but it's a thumbs down for me.