Organizing to share with students

BryanBoling

I'm a nurse practitioner and I use Evernote in my personal practice to organize all kinds of notes and documents. I'm also a professor and would like to start using Evernote to share things with my students. Currently, if I see something of interest, I throw it in my Evernote and then will email it to my students when I have the chance. But, I'd like to just be able to share things with them directly through Evernote. I had originally planned to have a notebook for this and put all of the things I wanted to share in that notebook. But, I do have things that I use as well and I'd like to put those in a logical notebook where I'd think to look for them so I don't have to remember, "was this something I shared with students? or will it be in one of my personal notebooks?" But, some of my things in those other notebooks I don't want to share. I originally thought that maybe I could share everything with a certain tag, and I could just tag any note "students" and it would automatically be shared no matter what notebook it was in, but it doesn't look like that's possible. I also don't want to have to add a dozen names to each individual document to share them, so it'd be ideal to have a way that anything in a notebook or tag to just get shared automatically with a group.

Does anyone do something like this? How do you organize things? I use the web interface some, but I use the iOS app daily.

Thanks!

Bryan

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, BryanBoling said:

I had originally planned to have a notebook for this and put all of the things I wanted to share in that notebook. But, I do have things that I use as well and I'd like to put those in a logical notebook where I'd think to look for them so I don't have to remember, "was this something I shared with students? or will it be in one of my personal notebooks?" But, some of my things in those other notebooks I don't want to share. I originally thought that maybe I could share everything with a certain tag, and I could just tag any note "students" and it would automatically be shared no matter what notebook it was in, but it doesn't look like that's possible.

Confirmed; sharing works at the notebook level, not at the tag level

For  myself, I basically use a single notebook (Filing)   
I reserve notebooks for special functions, like Share to students

• Level 5*

There is an option you might consider - a third-party app called Postach.io which will automatically convert any note with the tag 'published' into a public blog page.  There's a 'free' level if you want to try it out - which will allow one blog.  You may have to pay (can't remember) to activate the possibility of protecting the site with a password.

It still means you have to add the notes you want to share to a specific notebook - though you may want to still save content to your own private notes,  then add some comments and/ or edit the narrative and duplicate your own note into the blog notebook.

As an example of what that can look like I offer you this rather amateurish version of mine...  (I'm working on making it better,  honest!)

- You might also want to make the acquaintance of a rather natty little app called https://typora.io/ - it allows you to format your posts in ways that Evernote doesn't normally support...

• Level 5

The probably best way is to define a dedicated notebook for sharing with your students. What you move (or copy) to that notebook is accessible for those who know the link to that notebook. This is controlled by the notebooks content, not by tags.

I would use tags to make transparent what I have shared. You could use a tag „edit“ for notes not yet ready to be shared, and „published“ for notes that are in the open. If you for example fill a notebook for one semester note by note, the content is growing, and you give you students the possibility to reference backwards. As a service, you can create a TOC each time you add new content (= notes, desktop clients only).

Use a number of tags like class, semester and subjects to make search easier for yourself, when teaching several courses. Together with a standardized title notes will sort into the correct order.

After the examens are taken, you could create an „archived“ tag and move the content to an archive notebook, that is not shared. By moving a note out of a shared notebook, it is automatically hidden for those who only have access to the shared notebook.

Personally I use a similar logic to collect all documents for my yearly tax declaration. When done, I share it with my accountant. When the tax declaration is done, I move all documents to an tax-archive notebook, tagged this a „tax+year“ tag. By this I always know what was in the declaration, even if the shared notebook does no longer exist.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been using Evernote, not for a long time, and not only for educational purposes, and I'm satisfied. It's good to have all the materials in one place and have a chance to share them with my groupmates or work on something together. Last month we were working on a project about popular movements in the 21st century, and we finished it very fast because we have shared access to the files, so we had a chance to work quality. I was writing about BLM, and I found a lot of useful information, and my friend shared the file in Evernote with many valuable links. There was also a link to this source https://gradesfixer.com/free-essay-examples/black-lives-matter/ where I read some articles about Black Lives Matter. I learned some info about it before writing the projects, but I found much interesting information during the process. So ]all the resources I found I shared on Evernote with my groupmates because I thought it would be interesting and informative for them too. And I think I can say that now Evernote I will be using as often as Google Docs or Google Sheets.

• Thanks 1