Search Results - No sort option for notes

Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

• Level 5*

In the old version there is a search icon in the sidebar.  If I wanted to look at recent workouts I would press that Icon, press wo, press the workout tag that appeared, and be presented with a list of workout notes newest first.  Quick and clean.  

In this version for the same action I press All  notes, press Search, press wo, press the workout tag and am presented with a jumbled list of workout notes.  One from 2014 near the top of the list.  Useless with an additional press included  

The incremental winnowing of tags in a compound tag search is very nice, but with no way to sort the results. Useless. 

There does not appear to be any sorting of search results.  Useless. 

I guess I’m saying there should be a way to sort search results.  I hope I am missing it and someone will correct me.  But I can’t find it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

+100 for this... in addition to sorting search results by title, create date and update date.... PLEASE also add ability to sort by reminder date.  The current results that sort by some sort perceived relevance are not helpful at all

• Like 3

I use a tag for "Meetings" and I've created a shortcut for this tag.  When I go to the shortcut the notes don't sort by date created.  I can't get them to sort in any specific way which isn't helpful.  Also, the shortcut only displays 128 notes.  Help!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Searching notes in EN 10.0 is much less powerful than prior versions as they is no way to sort the search as in the previous version as well as andriod and windows desktop version.  To provide an example, I searched my notes which found dozens and dozens of documents dating all the way back to 2013 when I started using the service and at the top of the list were documents dating back several years which should have been towards the end of the list.  The lack of the sort function really weakens the search function in my opinion.  EN if your listening please add the sort feature to search.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*

The search results sequence appears to be random, and there's no sort option   
An issue report was previously posted, but got moved to the feedback/requests forum Here

Similar posts have been merged with this discussion

• Like 1

@CalS describing as “intentionally left out” is not an entirely accurate account of what they said... I believe they indicated it was “neglected”... that seems to imply accidental, but careless omission. I am also reading this update to mean they recognize it was a mistake and plan to fix the search sort issue and limit on results returned. (Hopefully my faith is not misplaced)

• Level 5*
On 9/25/2020 at 11:13 AM, aukirk said:

I believe they indicated it was “neglected”... that seems to imply accidental, but careless omission.

We can play semantics here if you like.  IMO, omitting sort of search results after almost 20 months is neither careless nor accidental, it is intentional.  As stated once before, what good is a blob of notes that can't be ordered???  In a productivity app???

Anyway, it's their selection as what goes into the software.  I'm just saying the choices made are indicative of the direction of the software or the awareness of the designers or the time crunch of pushing something out after as long as it has been.  🤷‍♂️

https://evernote.com/blog/looking-ahead-evernotes-priorities-2019/

• Like 1

EN team, please fix this ASAP, I (and I‘m pretty sure others, too) need this urgently to have a chronologicaly overview of my project notes, incoming emails, responses, todos, forms, etc.

And, since search in notebooks shared BY others doesn‘t work as well, there should be a lot of pressure to fix this because V10 is public released to all users out there...

1 minute ago, Shane D. said:

Hey All,

Wanted to provide an update.

We've been able to replicate this issue, and are working to address it.

I'll follow-up here once we have more information.

to replicate a missing feature? 🙂 however, hopefully this will be implemented soon...

• Haha 1
  • Level 5
  • Solution

@stocky2605

to replicate a missing feature? 🙂 however, hopefully this will be implemented soon...

My apologies about that, I accidentally moved the thread to the feature requests section. 😬

This is a known issue, and we're working to address it

I've merged that feature request thread into this one, and will provide an update as soon as we have one.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 9/25/2020 at 1:14 PM, Shane D. said:

@stocky2605

My apologies about that, I accidentally moved the thread to the feature requests section. 😬

This is a known issue, and we're working to address it

I've merged that feature request thread into this one, and will provide an update as soon as we have one.

Thanks for responding.  To be clear, sort of search results is an issue because it was left out of this release as opposed to being in the release but not functioning?

EDIT:

2020.10.27 04:31 PM - a month later.  :)

download.jpg.12554c0a7ae545b371590c1a1ab39715.jpg

Edited by CalS
No answer
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The search is limited to 128 hits. And the notes are displayed in chaotic order.

I use an Ipad Pro 10,5 with IpadOS 14.0.1 and Evernote 10.0.4.

I have sometimes several hundred notes for a keyword. When I search for the keyword, only 128 notes are displayed. This is the case with different keyword searches. And the order of the results is chaotic, although I set "Sort by creation date".

I insert a screenshot. It shows the chaotic sorting.

I have already reported this problem to the technical support under a ticket number. Two weeks ago they told me that the problem was known and that they would work on it. Today, two weeks later and after the update to 10.0.4 the problem is still not solved. I urgently need a correct search function!

PNG-Bild.png

• Thanks 1

I am having all of the same sort issues as everyone else.  I have 13k notes which include every note from meetings I’ve attended for the last 7 years.  The tag shortcut “Meeting” that I created with a date created sort was a lifesaver!  Gone in this release.  I contacted support on 9/22.  Every few days or so they ask for another screenshot or log.  So frustrating!

URGENT URGENT URGENT URGENT

I POSTED THIS IN JULY DURING THE BETA AND REPORTED I HAD TO STOP USE THE BETA DUE TO THE LACK OF SORTING OPTIONS OF SEARCH

*** Are you out of your mind Evernote? - this is just not possible to take away. You undermind the whole usage for me... PLEASE FIX!!!

------------- from JULY 2020 -  Evernote - you never answered - WHEN IS THE SORTING COMING BACK?...

On my iPad - using the predfined searh I have two issues:

1) BETA: The order of the searches when I am about to pick which one to use seems totally random (the "same random" every time).

A) PLEASE get this order THE SAME on all plattforms as suggested years ago. On the existing version (not Beta) they are different on iOS and on my PC

B)Please lett the SORTING order of the result be stored IN THE SEARCH (also an new request fro the exisist (not Beta) version.

2) BETA: Sorting the result on dato or alfa seems NOT possible to choose. 

NB NB: I can "not live with" that I have to press another selection before I get the "SAVED" searches. Now the "default" is "SUGGESTIONS".. 
Very inconvinient!

BRAVO - IMPROVEMENT IN BETA:

It is now possible to directly do a new "Saved search" (magnifying glass) directly after another (that is not possible in exisiting version)

Edited by KnutBH
Spellchecking :-)
  • Thanks 3

This is the promise on Evernote's homepage: To find EVERYTHING again. But, as I described above, I find only 128 notes and these in a completely useless order. I need the correct search results for my daily workflow! I work completely digital and completely in Evernote. Now I am totally stuck. Why doesn't Evernote hear the very urgent appeals made here? Why? It is really very very urgent!!!!!

• Like 1

Here is what I received ever today from Evernote tech support. Unbelievable!  The search sorting is currently not implemented yet. For now, Evernote search provides result by relevance. This feature is on our to-do list and we plan on building them soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

This is really really unbelievable!! The search function is the core of EN!

What does mean „we plan on building them soon“? How much time do they need? More 18 months?

And what does mean „result by relevance“? It’s not result by relevance, it’s chaotic result!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Hello,

when i start a saved search query it will be displayed. But the default setting in the sort order is always RELEVANCE.
I can change it to the modification date, but unfortunately the program does not remember it.
Can you change the sort order somewhere as default

Thanks

Theo

2020-10-19_141537.jpg

Yes, nothing.

• EN, why do we not hear from you?
  • EN, when will you deliver the next update?
  • EN, when will this issue with the search (and many other issues) be solved?

!!! EN, PLEASE COMMUNICATE !!!

!!!THE SEARCH FUNCTIONALITY IS VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT!!! IT DOESNT WORK!!! SINCE WEEKS!!! COME ON!!!