Where is “Simplify Formatting” function?

K Moskop

Idea

25 replies to this idea

After I've clipped something or forwarded an email it appears as HTML content with a little magic wand at the top to simplify the formatting. There's also remove formatting under More in the formatting menu.

image.png.3b5c5cd0ae04a3ddd37efcab63acdeed.png

• Thanks 2
On 10/17/2020 at 12:02 AM, Jon/t said:

After I've clipped something or forwarded an email it appears as HTML content with a little magic wand at the top to simplify the formatting. There's also remove formatting under More in the formatting menu.

image.png.3b5c5cd0ae04a3ddd37efcab63acdeed.png

Where did you find this "magic wand" and is it on Mac or PC?  And where is this "formatting menu"? I actually don't even have a formatting menu in Evernote for Mac any more when I'm dealing with clipped content (oy vey)...

13 hours ago, elusis said:

Where did you find this "magic wand" and is it on Mac or PC?  And where is this "formatting menu"? I actually don't even have a formatting menu in Evernote for Mac any more when I'm dealing with clipped content (oy vey)...

In your note that contains html content, click on the frame with header "HTML Content". You will then have the magic wand (on PC, at least)

• Like 2
15 hours ago, elusis said:

Just tried it again. When I forward an email or clip a web page it arrive in EN as a HTML content block with the wand centred at the top of this content.

I'm using a PC but both apps should same the same.

390770236_Screenshot2020-11-17182448.thumb.jpg.48b19f992d7dbe378001adb3e0e3e6c7.jpg

The magic wand doesn't appear when pasting a bit of text into an already-existing note. So that's not a solution for those of use who do that.

Time to submit my 17th service ticket on missing features.  I recommend other people submit tickets on the features they've lost too.  We need to convince Evernote that something has to be done about these.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Found it...albeit not under the ellipse; now under (and maybe it was always there) the Format tab up top on left.   

image.png.03e851f3a20d467a4345117e858b10ae.png

Windows 10 (laptop) 

EN build: 6.25.1.9091 (309091) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954) 

I've submitted a support ticket.  

Two updates ago, they removed the "delete note" trash can icon, because that's the kind of thing you hide in a UI, of course.
Now they've removed this function that I use on just about every recipe I clip, one of the two major functions Evernote serves for me.

What's the issue here?

Can't stand the removal from iOS version of the Simplify Format 👹

To recap:

Windows  >  under Format/Simplify Formatting

OSX   >  under More/Simplify

iOS  >  absent  ☠️

Android  >  ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 1/4/2021 at 12:54 PM, TMitch12 said:

Found it...albeit not under the ellipse; now under (and maybe it was always there) the Format tab up top on left.   

On 3/27/2021 at 5:47 AM, Andrealc said:

Can't stand the removal from iOS version of the Simplify Format 👹

To recap:

Windows  >  under Format/Simplify Formatting

OSX   >  under More/Simplify

iOS  >  absent  ☠️

Android  >  ?

really need that simplfy formatting function back...I use all platform but mostly my imac ios, android, and some iphone...rsvp please.....

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Linda Rica said:

really need that simplfy formatting function back...I use all platform but mostly my imac ios, android, and some iphone...rsvp please.....

Are we few or many to ask Simplify Formatting back in evernote iOS ?!!!

38 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Why "back" ? It is right there: Click on the top of the clipped site, and the magic wand appears above the soft keys. The site needs to be clipped using WebClipper to enable this function.

So Simplify Format is NOT there for any note, only if you clip a website AND if you have WebClipper enabled

This means you CAN'T Simplify Format from mobile app but you can from desktop.. that can't be difficult to solve!

• Level 5

The mobile app had and has no web clipper. It uses the mobile OS share function, which is not controlled by EN. There are no browser extensions on mobile browsers.

This had to do with the sandboxed way mobile apps execute. Because of that limitation clips on mobile come „as clipped“.

You can try to switch the website to „reader mode“ before clipping/sharing it. Sometimes it helps.

Dear PinkElephant

I’ve been using Simplify Format on mobile iOS app extensively for so many years and in so many cases (not only web clipping) that being forced to simplify the content only on desktop version is just not understandable🤬

• Level 5

You could try a shortcut from the Shortcuts app. You find it in the gallery when you search for Evernote.

It is called „Share article with EN“ or such. It clips the web site pretty good, on some pages it does not work. You need to authorize the shortcuts app to access your EN account.

After installing the shortcut you find it in the share menu when you use Safari.

I'm using EN 10.38.1 on a macbook pro running OSX 12.4. I've read this thread and tried everything. There IS NO Simplify Format option, not if I copy and paste on the mac, not if I use the clipper. It isn't there. period. When I go online and open the new note, it STILL isn't there. Not using Safari, not using other browsers. This is absurd. 

ok, found it. You have to use the clipper. then find the new note. Then click on the four squares in the upper left hand corner of the box that EN inserted. Then right-click and scroll to the bottom. 

Seriously??? You used to click on "Simplify formatting" in the (logical) Formatting tab. 

• Level 5

"You used to click on ..." is nostalgic, but not leading anywhere.

Simplifying a web clip is probably not an operation used permanently - so WTF with 2 mouse clicks more or less. It is available, it works, that's it.

I often clip things using the Bookmark option in the web clipper

A Web Clip box is then in the note. It is possible to simply the formatting  by clicking on the magic wand (or going to the dots to the right and selecting the option)

It would be much better however if there was a keyboard shortcut for this however as I do many other things in EN this way

There is a simplify formatting keyboard shortcut available (Ctrl Space) but this doesn't do anything with the web clip box highlighted