Can't remove text highlight

I have a text highlight in some portion of my note. I open it, edit it removing the text highlight and save, two seconds later it comes back. I try to remove and edit the text somewhere; or remove it and highlight a smaller portion of the text; or remove it and highlight a larger portion. Nothing makes it work, but makes it worse. The highlights I did joined with the bugged highlight and it's larger now.

36 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  You need to tap the arrows at the top of the note to save your changes and and exit.  And if you can see the green 'pen' in the bottom right of the screen,  you're not even in 'edit' mode.

Did you watch the video? I touched the text before, which makes it go to edit mode, so the 'pen' button was gone. It's not even possible to remove a highlight if not in edit mode. After this, I removed the text highlight and then I touched on the save button in the top left corner of the screen. It makes the 'pen' come back. This is expected since it was saved and it's not in edit mode anymore. But 1-2 seconds later the highlight comes back. It's clearly a bug.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Didn't even realise it was a video after being hit with a LOT of image. I doubt it's a 'bug' since you're the only report of anything similar,  and on a quick check of my own Android I seem to have no problem adding and removing highlights.  Try restarting the phone,  or worst case uninstall / restart / reinstall.

With a video evidence, I can't see why someone wouldn't consider it a bug. If there wasn't something wrong, editing the highlight to make it larger also wouldn't work, but it did. Environment, user data and a lot of other things may interfere on reproduction. It can work fine on your phone and still be a bug that happens on others. And it's very easy to get rid of this, so it may be the reason why people doesn't report. Also, people rarely report bugs. I just removed the text highlighted and wrote it again to do so. I'm not reporting here because I need any help, but because the development team must know about it. Easily bypassable bug is still a bug.

Environment: Samsung S10+, Android 10

• Level 5*

Video evidence simply confirms this happened for you.  If you think users 'rarely report bugs' I think you may be new around here.  Evernote users are rarely shy about commenting on any issues that they find.  However.  Thanks for the report on this - I'm sure a developer will look into it at some point.  Glad you found ways around the problem.

• Level 5

A couple of questions: is this only happening in one note, or does it happen in other notes? Would it be possible to simplify formatting in this note to remove the highlighting (using the 3 dots menu at top right), or would that remove too much other formatting? If it's only happening in this note, is there anything unusual about the source of the text in the note, e.g., copied from a Web page (which can often introduce unwanted format codes)?

I have created only 3 notes so far and used highlighting only in this one, so I haven't given so many chances to reproduce the behavior. I didn't try to remove the highlighting using the option you mentioned. I already deleted the problematic highlighted text and wrotte it again. I haven't used highlighting again to see if the problem is really gone but I will do it again to reproduce the behavior and try to remove it with the option mentioned. The text of the note is enterely written there, nothing copied from outside.

Other details:

- I have used the Android app and the web app to write in this note;

- The problem happened near the moment I shared the note. It was shared with reading permission only and using the sharing link. I have no idea if it's related.

• Level 5

Thanks. I ask because this is not the expected behavior. If it keeps happening, please post again. I've found that highlighting is different in the Web app from the current state of the Android app. Android should be gaining the Web's capabilities soon. Till then, I find that if I have highlighted something, using any color, in the Web app, I can type in the highlighted area in the Android app and it will still be highlighted. But of course the multiple colors are not available for new highlighting in Android. But I do find that, in Android, I can select text that was highlighted in the Web app, highlight it, and remove highlighting and the highlight does disappear. It sounds like that is what you were trying to do, and I'm surprised that it didn't work. What Android device and version of Android do you have?