(Archived) Evernote File Backup Options

How can I back up Evernote files?

I have a paper-free home, so I have a LOT of digital files. Before I upload my entire digital life to Evernote, what are some Evernote backup options? I'd like to use Evernote as my day-to-day computing option (vs. my desktop), but want a way to periodically back up all Evernote files.

After having lost all my files on my (old) computer AND all my files on a portable hard drive in the same day (what are the odds?), I've learned to not put all my eggs in one, or even two, baskets.

I can foresee someone saying to backup all files before uploading them to Evernote, but that defeats the purpose of the on-the-go functionality of Evernote. So...

What Evernote file backup options are available (to Mac, portable hard drive, online storage site, anything)?

Thank you in advance.

Because the uploaded files are on the En servers, local backups are perhaps less of a necessity than usual. However, you can also set notebooks to be local only and not synched, so they need to be backed up somehow too, so I periodically copy the EN database folder to an external drive. I have a set of external drives that I use in rotation.

(Tools > options > General Tab wil tellyou where your EN database is located.)

I downloaded the desktop client for Mac, but there's no Tools option. I found something that seemed hopeful: Files > Export, but then a pop-up says it will export files as an Evernote file which means files won't be readable unless they're imported back into Evernote (which defeats the purpose of a backup).

Evernote doesn't seem to have a phone number for help (if I pay, will I have access to a human? - it would be worth the $50 lol). I'm trying to love Evernote, but they're not making it easy so far. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

• Level 5*

Open Finder, select your user name, then Library, then Application Support - there is an Evernote folder in there that you can back up any way you like.

Remember, all your sync'd notebooks are already backed up on EN's servers.

Where are you finding these delightful options?!

Could the problem be that I'm on a Mac, or that I have free service (until I'm certain my files can be backed up)? I didn't see any of those options in any of my menus on EN Desktop for Mac or on the EN Website with a free account.

------

UPDATE:

After reading the directions at the bottom of this article, I now see what you're talking about re: Finder, etc.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20013093-248.html

I think it still puts me at square one that the only way to back up an Evernote account is via exporting an .enex file (which is an Evernote file, so the contents couldn't be viewable later via any other means).

Are there any other non-enex file methods of back up? If not, EN may not be for me, since I must have the ability to back up my files. I've been burned too many times before (Kodak website, PCs, and Western Digital, I'm looking at you).

• Level 5
dclamb wrote:

How can I back up Evernote files?

I have a paper-free home, so I have a LOT of digital files.

And as time progresses, you are going to have a lot more digital information. I would recommend that you consider a 3rd party source for backing up your information away from your home. Not just for Evernote, but all your data. Check out Carbonite or Jungle Disk. Both handle Windows and I believe the Max also. The money you spend is well worth the additional security and safety.

• Level 5*

If you take a look in the location I pointed you to then you'll see that your notes are actually stored in HTML, with each note having it's own folder. Included in the folder are any files that you 'attach' to notes.

Just back up this stuff wherever you like and however you like.

Don't just back up the HTML files. You won't be able to recover your account from that. Make sure to back up the whole "Evernote" folder, or at least the whole "data" folder, since that contains the SQL database with all of the data.

• Level 5

Whoa! Back up the whole Evernote folder or I won't be able to recover my data?

I thought the critical file to ensure safe restorations was the single .exb file.

In my case, Carbonite backs up everything automatically so I am protected.

I did not realize the other folders should also be backed up.

Could you clarify which folders are critical to a safe restore?

For Evernote version 3.5, on my Windows 7 computer, there is a parent folder named Evernote and a child folder named Evernote which containts a folder named Databases and a 2nd folder named Database3.

Local

- Evernote

- - Evernote

- - - Databases

- - - Database3

jbenson2 - you're on a Windows machine. You're correct on Windows.

I was replying to metrodon, who was talking about the Mac. He was looking at some temporary cache files and didn't see the main SQL database file on the Mac.

• Level 5*

I pointed to the cache files as I believe the questioner was asking about a method of backing up that left him/her with non proprietary data. In this case the EN SQL database or exported EN files don't really fit the bill.

I assumed that those cached HTML files were a reasonable option in this situation.

Archived