We apologize for the inconvenience, but chat support is currently unavailable. Please feel free to submit an email ticket or reach out at discussion.evernote.com. Thank you for understanding. ×
NightStalker

ANSWERED How do I downgrade Evernote iOS to old version?

This new version of Evernote, released only days after iOS14 came out (I ran betas of iOS14 before the main release) seems to be a disaster.

Once again, they seem to be unable to get it right before a major release (this has been the case for years - I've been a Premium subscriber almost from the beginning of Evernote).  Either their beta testers just don't pick up these bugs, or the coders don't fix them.  And once again, they change stuff for the sake of changing it - like the Clipper, which now doesn't seem to work at all.  See separate thread on Saving to Evernote from iOS.  Mine simply doesn't work.  No clipped note.  Zero.  And this is a disaster for me as I source information from both the web browser (Safari) and Flipboard constantly.  I can't do that with this new version on iOS14.

I don't know if the problem is Evernote, or iOS14, or most likely both together.  But iOS14 has been in the works for months, with lots of beta testers, so I can't imagine that the Evernote coding team didn't have access to iOS14.

So - how can I downgrade my iOS Evernote back to the previous version, which worked just fine?

• Like 4

I have the same issue with the clipper, but also, nothing I do in the iOS app is actually reflected in the desktop or web app. It's like a read only version of Evernote that has been frozen. I'm also interested in getting the previous version back.

This iOS version is a late apha version at best and should not be live.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Yes - mine is the same, now that you mention it.

I think the only way we can downgrade is for Evernote to pull the current version from the App Store and replace it with the previous version.  They may need to change the version number though, so that iOS14 will recognise it as a "new" update.

Ironically, I just read an interview with the Evernote CEO who was spruiking the new iOS version.  When asked why the iOS version was being released first, his reply was "Because it's ready".

Errr - I have news for him, and it's not good news....

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

+1 here. Same issue for me. What a mess. Without the clippers working well, Evernote is useless to me. Not sure why I pay anymore

• Like 1

Hi both - I'd suggest you raise your issues with Support (which we're not - mainly just us users here...).  Evernote may not yet know about these issues but they will want to fix them...

• Sad 1

Still getting duplicate notes from clips via IOS.  This was happening before IOS 14 and EN 10.

• Sad 1

Have been paying for Evernote for 10 years and this always happen after an upgrade. Will have to migrate to another notes platform. Just ridiculous that this keeps happening after upgrades. Keeps crashing and saves multiple versions of the same note

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

在 2020/9/19 在 AM7點52分, NightStalker說:

Yes - mine is the same, now that you mention it.

I think the only way we can downgrade is for Evernote to pull the current version from the App Store and replace it with the previous version.  They may need to change the version number though, so that iOS14 will recognise it as a "new" update.

Ironically, I just read an interview with the Evernote CEO who was spruiking the new iOS version.  When asked why the iOS version was being released first, his reply was "Because it's ready".

Errr - I have news for him, and it's not good news....

I realise that this guy -- Ian Small is good at marketing, rather than communicating. Much worse than the former Google CEO who was at least willing to write a blog article to apologize to the public and address the privacy issues.

The not-ready v10.0 is not one of the problem which is just resolved by customer service. It is the same level of the crisis of privacy in 2016.

• Thanks 1

18 小時前, DPDB說:

Have been paying for Evernote for 10 years and this always happen after an upgrade. Will have to migrate to another notes platform. Just ridiculous that this keeps happening after upgrades. Keeps crashing and saves multiple versions of the same note

Happened in v8.0 at least, but at that time they released fix much quickly than now.

You could downgrade by restoring an old iPhone backup. Turn off auto-update. Or if you have a device (another phone, or an iPad) maybe you could use third party tools to copy the app to your phone. I think you'd want to delete Evernote off your phone, copy it from the old location, then sync.

• Thanks 1

Same here, I installed the Evernote 10 version 2 days ago = Sept 21st, and the most recent note that appear on my iPhone dates from 29/8 😞.  In the meantime, I have tried almost all combinaison of erase / re-install / shut-down mobile / sign-in / sign-off.   Why the hell did everrnote make such a show of the new developments (behind the scene video) if it is to produce such a ***** ????

• Sad 1

This is the WORST VERSION of Evernote I’ve seen, by a long shot. It’s plain and simply unusable for creation and for most of my consumption. Bugs get me crazy and it doesn’t open most of my files, from epubs to large pdfs.

THERE ARE TOO MANY BUGS TO FIX.

MANAGEMENT JUST DIDN’T REALIZE IT.

IT WILL TAKE MONTHS TO STABILIZE AND MY WORK DEPENDS ON RELIABILITY.

PLEASE REPOST PREVIOUS VERSION.

• Like 4

Thank you for sharing your disappointment with this POST.

But can we now please carry on trying to make things better?
(I'm rather sure there is no way back to the previous version...)

• Confused 1

Hi All,

I wanted to provide an update and clarify on this topic.

A limitation of the App Store makes it so that we cannot offer an older version of the app, so there is not a way to downgrade to a previous version at this time.

However, please continue to share the issues that you're encountering in the forums, and I will provide progress updates on the reported issues.

Feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any other questions.

• Confused 1

Thanks for the reply, Shane.  However, couldn't you put a different version number on v8.24.6 or whatever the previous version was, and call it v10.1 or something, that would allow the App Store (and iOS) to read it as a newer version, even though it's just the repackaged previous version?  Then we could backgrade, work happily while you guys fix all the bugs without the time pressure, then upgrade to the new version (which would need to be numbered one higher than the pseudo-version 10.1 or whatever) when it's all sorted out.  I'm sure you have a long enough list of bugs already from these forums to be working on it for some time to come, and would prefer not to have the time pressure from all of us who use EN as critical parts of our workflows.

• Like 4

I do not think this is a good idea, because it would force anybody to download this „new“ old version, messing things up completely. The old app is not compatible with the new one. It would probably be a disaster and force again a full download of everything that is now saved on millions of iOS devices based on the new coding framework.

Although there are still many little things that needs some rework, in general since EN iOS 10.0.2 the client works in it‘s core functions. There are even several improvements I do not want to miss, like the tag hierarchy and the new formatting capabilities. The new client has the potential the old client was lacking. It just got off with a really bumpy start.

From my use case and perspective, there is no way back to an older version, and for sure not forced on us all by manipulating the release chain in the AppStore. What I expect are more updates by EN, further fixing things and adding missing functions.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The old app is not compatible with the new one. It would probably be a disaster and force again a full download of everything that is now saved on millions of iOS devices based on the new coding framework.

Untrue. One of my iOS devices is corporate managed and does not auto update. Still running 8.x perfectly and gleefully.  If 8.x went back into App Store it would run perfectly like it did two weeks ago.  I hope that happens, but alas I completed my note migration to archive and Apple Notes this evening. Unsubscribing shortly.  Ironically, the only note saved into my 2009 archive, welcome to Evernote clip from Oct 19 2009.  This “update” unraveled 11 years of trust. 

• Like 2

3 小時前, PinkElephant說:

I do not think this is a good idea, because it would force anybody to download this „new“ old version, messing things up completely. The old app is not compatible with the new one. It would probably be a disaster and force again a full download of everything that is now saved on millions of iOS devices based on the new coding framework.

Although there are still many little things that needs some rework, in general since EN iOS 10.0.2 the client works in it‘s core functions. There are even several improvements I do not want to miss, like the tag hierarchy and the new formatting capabilities. The new client has the potential the old client was lacking. It just got off with a really bumpy start.

From my use case and perspective, there is no way back to an older version, and for sure not forced on us all by manipulating the release chain in the AppStore. What I expect are more updates by EN, further fixing things and adding missing functions.

If you are true, the current Android, Windows, Mac users should not be able use Evernote now as they still don't have the update.

Keeping both versions as I have mentioned before will be the best solution. I don't see any reasons we are forced to keep only one of both.

So there are ways to bring back v8.24.6 while keeping v10.0.2. Let Evernote upload the former to the App Store. Call it Evernote Legacy app. That is it. Evernote will not be the first to do this. Many apps like iA Writer and GoodNotes have tried before and Apple didn't pull the apps down.

Using tags and searching in your notebook results in zero results, although there are 407 notes in my notebook.

11 hours ago, Alvin C said:

If you are true, the current Android, Windows, Mac users should not be able use Evernote now as they still don't have the update.

isn't that nonsense?

As we all know Android, Windows, Mac users still have the old frontends which haven't built up new on the new code base.
(And they all are working simultanously though each of this frontends so far works with a still native Android-, Windows or Mac- codebase).

It just has been a long time stategical decision of Evernote, may be 2 years ago, to set all 5 clients (including the web interface) on an common code base, which has better chances to be economically maintained, preserved and further developed.

"Keeping (up) both versions" will cost a lot of ressources which may not be given or better may be invested in getting this thing ready soon...

Even though I miss a couple of things in v10.0.x, I don't want the old version back. While waiting for helping updates on iOS I will use other frontends  like my Android-phone, the meanwhile very improved editor in the web-version or my desktop-app for single missing features.

• Like 1

This is all true - especially when there now is iOS 14 in the wild and running on more and more devices.

The „legacy“ version is for sure not up to iOS 14. It was not up to iOS 13, talking about a missing split screen mode and other features.

Going back to ... this ??? Sinking developers hours, days, weeks into this sinkhole ??? Braking down the improvement of the current client, and those to come ???

What a ****ing idea !

P.S. Yes, GoodNotes did it. But they support only iOS and Mac, they do not run their own servers (sync by iCloud), they announced they would have both apps available, but they said as well that they will stop developing GN 4, and that new features will be added only to GN 5. They kept GN 4 alive because when they released GN 5, there were several functions missing, and some took month to be released.

This is not the case with EN iOS 10, there is not much missing from the old releases, plus several new features (long awaited) are available from the start. Since EN iOS 10.0.2 hit the App Store I am pretty confident about the next steps.

6 小時前, HeBoIz說:

isn't that nonsense?

As we all know Android, Windows, Mac users still have the old frontends which haven't built up new on the new code base.
(And they all are working simultanously though each of this frontends so far works with a still native Android-, Windows or Mac- codebase).

It just has been a long time stategical decision of Evernote, may be 2 years ago, to set all 5 clients (including the web interface) on an common code base, which has better chances to be economically maintained, preserved and further developed.

"Keeping (up) both versions" will cost a lot of ressources which may not be given or better may be invested in getting this thing ready soon...

Even though I miss a couple of things in v10.0.x, I don't want the old version back. While waiting for helping updates on iOS I will use other frontends  like my Android-phone, the meanwhile very improved editor in the web-version or my desktop-app for single missing features.

Not to mention users who have iPhones w/ iOS 12.

If you just minimise effects for users these two months, I would say keeping v8.24.6 is better than nothing.

And keeping up both versions won't let you miss v10.0.x, you can still enjoy the latest version while others can use v8.24.6 in the short run.

There are some users here speaking for Evernote while not considering other kinds of users and other circumstances, justifying their cases only valid, denying others and even denying suggestions that can satisfy all. They have been driving other users away for a long time, and Evernote finds no reason to change due to those 'loyal' customers.

15 minutes ago, Alvin C said:

There are some users here speaking for Evernote while not considering other kinds of users

Just on a general principle,  the only ones here who speak "for" Evernote are the ones with EMPLOYEE in big letters on their profile. 

Everything else here is just an individual expressing an opinion,  which the company will consider alongside all other feedback they receive before deciding what - if anything - to do.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 4:44 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

A limitation of the App Store makes it so that we cannot offer an older version of the app, so there is not a way to downgrade to a previous version at this time.

However, please continue to share the issues that you're encountering in the forums, and I will provide progress updates on the reported issues.

Feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any other questions.

Hey Shane,

Do you know when  sorting search results might be added back?  No sense in spending time with this version when it is not functional for folks who want to access stuff without throwing their phone across the room.  I could at least limp along with this version with that capability put right.  Cluster otherwise.  Still have the old version on my iPad, fortunate though inconvenient.

• Like 1

Downgrades are not possible on iOS. This versions is a train wreck. I am using the web interface for now hoping that at least the major bugs will be squashed soon. I wrote to support expressing my disappointment: Evernote should prioritize reliability above everything else, these terrible updates are not acceptable. 

10.0.2 is significantly better (fixes for some basic functions). Will try 10.0.3 that just got released tomorrow.

It seems we get step by step to a level we all would have expected when the first #10-release was pushed to the AppStore.

"Will try 10.0.3 that just got released tomorrow."

Interesting ambiguity there, PE - sounds like you're forecasting the future ;)

Yup - I know what you meant, but I had to read it twice - had a chuckle :)

OK it is close to midnight here, and I will not test it before having taken a nap to steel my will, to sharpen my eye and to calm my temper.

Better ?

We non-native speakers may sound funny from time to time, but at least we try.

• Like 1

i DID know what you meant. A comma after "released" would have fixed it.  Sorry - no offence intended.  It was just funny - sounded like "Back To The Future" stuff. :)

I don’t like this version at all. It’s horrible. The user experience of the previous version was far better. Icons are blinking everywhere, and web content is not editable. This is how Evernote was in 2010. I’ve been looking to Notion and thinking for long time to migrate to it. It’s very powerful and completely free. But unique features of Evernote kept me with it for more than a year. It’s uniqueness makes it hard to leave it.  But now, I think the decision became very easier. 

• Like 2

On 9/29/2020 at 5:44 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any other 

Once again, please return the older version. You can definitely upload a legacy version. I'm an iOS developer and knows that.

This is a completely Web app, not an iOS app. And it's a very poorly built one. Why after 2 years of waiting you come up with this? You needed to be agile. This approach of software development is dead more than a decade ago. I'm very afraid that my desktop version will be ruined this way, but at least I can keep the older version.

I will certainly cancel my subscription renewal, and start planning my migration to Notion.

I’d be happy with getting the BEFORE 10 version IOS Evernote back on my 7 Plus iPhone.  

Can the Evernote BEFORE 10 version be available in the APP store?  

The new added features in version 10 are awesome but the deleted features are more important than the new features.

1). Missing the Standard Regularly Used PRINT command in Share. In the Evernote IOS version 10.4.

2)  Missing the properly working FIND IN NOTE feature in the Evernote IOS version 10.4.

Thanks.

22 hours ago, kate0508 said:

Can the Evernote BEFORE 10 version be available in the APP store?  

Hi. If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest (re)installing the legacy version and using that where v10 isn't yet ready. Install an older version of Evernote 

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hi. If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest (re)installing the legacy version and using that where v10 isn't yet ready. Install an older version of Evernote 

The legacy version is only a Mac/Windows option   
It's an Apple restriction; IOS apps can only be downloaded from the app store

• Like 1

Sorry - responding to too many posts!!

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

The legacy version is only a Mac/Windows option   
It's an Apple restriction; IOS apps can only be downloaded from the app store

There’s nothing to stop them adding a second app to the App Store. OmniFocus had a legacy version in the store for years.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, bishopblaize said:

There’s nothing to stop them adding a second app to the App Store. OmniFocus had a legacy version in the store for years.

Admitting failure can be an issue.  Though it would be a solid gesture until the issues are addressed in V10.  Might give folks some hope for the company and how it feels about its customers.  Them that need it could go backwards for a bit.  EN controls for how long.

• Thanks 1

I have to revert back to old Evernote version, at least on my laptop. Every major Evernote update is, at best, half-baked. That’s true with the iOS versions. We were told that it came out first because it’s “prepared” (Small 2020). Well it’s not; it’s incredibly slow, unless your computer or unit is incredibly fast which mine is not, unless the purpose of the update is to cater only to a small —albeit “higher”/favored— segment of their user’s population. 

7 minutes ago, Franthonyreyes13@gmail.com said:

I have to revert back to old Evernote version, at least on my laptop. Every major Evernote update is, at best, half-baked. That’s true with the iOS versions. We were told that it came out first because it’s “prepared” (Small 2020). Well it’s not; it’s incredibly slow, unless your computer or unit is incredibly fast which mine is not, unless the purpose of the update is to cater only to a small —albeit “higher”/favored— segment of their user’s population. 

Yeah, no can do on IOS.  I really wish I had not upgraded on my phone.  Not having sort for search results is just, well, very disappointing.  Kind of like "You lost me at hello."