How to go back to Legacy Version

NightStalker
Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

Idea

• Level 5
  • Solution

Hi All,

I wanted to provide an update and clarify on this topic.

A limitation of the App Store makes it so that we cannot offer an older version of the app, so there is not a way to downgrade to a previous version at this time.

However, please continue to share the issues that you're encountering in the forums, and I will provide progress updates on the reported issues.

Feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any other questions.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
3 hours ago, DTLow said:

The legacy version is only a Mac/Windows option   
It's an Apple restriction; IOS apps can only be downloaded from the app store

There’s nothing to stop them adding a second app to the App Store. OmniFocus had a legacy version in the store for years.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I am so damn tired of not being able to revert to the iOS versions that actually work. It takes 10-15 seconds for my iPad Air 2 to start showing notes and be responsive. My iPhone 6S takes about as long, and has been showing a banner saying it's importing a couple of clips I sent to EN from the camera for several weeks now, even after leaving it running all night long.

Maybe it'd work better if I had a faster phone and tablet that could handle the seven more layers of indirection caused by rebuilding EN as a web app, but I don't, and they worked perfectly fine with the old version. Can we please get "Evernote Legacy" as a separate entry on the App Store or something?

• Like 2

This new version of Evernote, released only days after iOS14 came out (I ran betas of iOS14 before the main release) seems to be a disaster.

Once again, they seem to be unable to get it right before a major release (this has been the case for years - I've been a Premium subscriber almost from the beginning of Evernote).  Either their beta testers just don't pick up these bugs, or the coders don't fix them.  And once again, they change stuff for the sake of changing it - like the Clipper, which now doesn't seem to work at all.  See separate thread on Saving to Evernote from iOS.  Mine simply doesn't work.  No clipped note.  Zero.  And this is a disaster for me as I source information from both the web browser (Safari) and Flipboard constantly.  I can't do that with this new version on iOS14.

I don't know if the problem is Evernote, or iOS14, or most likely both together.  But iOS14 has been in the works for months, with lots of beta testers, so I can't imagine that the Evernote coding team didn't have access to iOS14.

So - how can I downgrade my iOS Evernote back to the previous version, which worked just fine?

• Like 8

Have been paying for Evernote for 10 years and this always happen after an upgrade. Will have to migrate to another notes platform. Just ridiculous that this keeps happening after upgrades. Keeps crashing and saves multiple versions of the same note

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
在 2020/9/19 在 AM7點52分, NightStalker說:

Yes - mine is the same, now that you mention it.

I think the only way we can downgrade is for Evernote to pull the current version from the App Store and replace it with the previous version.  They may need to change the version number though, so that iOS14 will recognise it as a "new" update.

Ironically, I just read an interview with the Evernote CEO who was spruiking the new iOS version.  When asked why the iOS version was being released first, his reply was "Because it's ready".

Errr - I have news for him, and it's not good news....

I realise that this guy -- Ian Small is good at marketing, rather than communicating. Much worse than the former Google CEO who was at least willing to write a blog article to apologize to the public and address the privacy issues.

The not-ready v10.0 is not one of the problem which is just resolved by customer service. It is the same level of the crisis of privacy in 2016.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 小時前, DPDB說:

Have been paying for Evernote for 10 years and this always happen after an upgrade. Will have to migrate to another notes platform. Just ridiculous that this keeps happening after upgrades. Keeps crashing and saves multiple versions of the same note

Happened in v8.0 at least, but at that time they released fix much quickly than now.

You could downgrade by restoring an old iPhone backup. Turn off auto-update. Or if you have a device (another phone, or an iPad) maybe you could use third party tools to copy the app to your phone. I think you'd want to delete Evernote off your phone, copy it from the old location, then sync.

• Thanks 1

Same here, I installed the Evernote 10 version 2 days ago = Sept 21st, and the most recent note that appear on my iPhone dates from 29/8 😞.  In the meantime, I have tried almost all combinaison of erase / re-install / shut-down mobile / sign-in / sign-off.   Why the hell did everrnote make such a show of the new developments (behind the scene video) if it is to produce such a ***** ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks for the reply, Shane.  However, couldn't you put a different version number on v8.24.6 or whatever the previous version was, and call it v10.1 or something, that would allow the App Store (and iOS) to read it as a newer version, even though it's just the repackaged previous version?  Then we could backgrade, work happily while you guys fix all the bugs without the time pressure, then upgrade to the new version (which would need to be numbered one higher than the pseudo-version 10.1 or whatever) when it's all sorted out.  I'm sure you have a long enough list of bugs already from these forums to be working on it for some time to come, and would prefer not to have the time pressure from all of us who use EN as critical parts of our workflows.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

I do not think this is a good idea, because it would force anybody to download this „new“ old version, messing things up completely. The old app is not compatible with the new one. It would probably be a disaster and force again a full download of everything that is now saved on millions of iOS devices based on the new coding framework.

Although there are still many little things that needs some rework, in general since EN iOS 10.0.2 the client works in it‘s core functions. There are even several improvements I do not want to miss, like the tag hierarchy and the new formatting capabilities. The new client has the potential the old client was lacking. It just got off with a really bumpy start.

From my use case and perspective, there is no way back to an older version, and for sure not forced on us all by manipulating the release chain in the AppStore. What I expect are more updates by EN, further fixing things and adding missing functions.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The old app is not compatible with the new one. It would probably be a disaster and force again a full download of everything that is now saved on millions of iOS devices based on the new coding framework.

Untrue. One of my iOS devices is corporate managed and does not auto update. Still running 8.x perfectly and gleefully.  If 8.x went back into App Store it would run perfectly like it did two weeks ago.  I hope that happens, but alas I completed my note migration to archive and Apple Notes this evening. Unsubscribing shortly.  Ironically, the only note saved into my 2009 archive, welcome to Evernote clip from Oct 19 2009.  This “update” unraveled 11 years of trust. 

• Like 4
3 小時前, PinkElephant說:

I do not think this is a good idea, because it would force anybody to download this „new“ old version, messing things up completely. The old app is not compatible with the new one. It would probably be a disaster and force again a full download of everything that is now saved on millions of iOS devices based on the new coding framework.

Although there are still many little things that needs some rework, in general since EN iOS 10.0.2 the client works in it‘s core functions. There are even several improvements I do not want to miss, like the tag hierarchy and the new formatting capabilities. The new client has the potential the old client was lacking. It just got off with a really bumpy start.

From my use case and perspective, there is no way back to an older version, and for sure not forced on us all by manipulating the release chain in the AppStore. What I expect are more updates by EN, further fixing things and adding missing functions.

If you are true, the current Android, Windows, Mac users should not be able use Evernote now as they still don't have the update.

Keeping both versions as I have mentioned before will be the best solution. I don't see any reasons we are forced to keep only one of both.

So there are ways to bring back v8.24.6 while keeping v10.0.2. Let Evernote upload the former to the App Store. Call it Evernote Legacy app. That is it. Evernote will not be the first to do this. Many apps like iA Writer and GoodNotes have tried before and Apple didn't pull the apps down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
11 hours ago, Alvin C said:

If you are true, the current Android, Windows, Mac users should not be able use Evernote now as they still don't have the update.

isn't that nonsense?

As we all know Android, Windows, Mac users still have the old frontends which haven't built up new on the new code base.
(And they all are working simultanously though each of this frontends so far works with a still native Android-, Windows or Mac- codebase).

It just has been a long time stategical decision of Evernote, may be 2 years ago, to set all 5 clients (including the web interface) on an common code base, which has better chances to be economically maintained, preserved and further developed.

"Keeping (up) both versions" will cost a lot of ressources which may not be given or better may be invested in getting this thing ready soon...

Even though I miss a couple of things in v10.0.x, I don't want the old version back. While waiting for helping updates on iOS I will use other frontends  like my Android-phone, the meanwhile very improved editor in the web-version or my desktop-app for single missing features.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

This is all true - especially when there now is iOS 14 in the wild and running on more and more devices.

The „legacy“ version is for sure not up to iOS 14. It was not up to iOS 13, talking about a missing split screen mode and other features.

Going back to ... this ??? Sinking developers hours, days, weeks into this sinkhole ??? Braking down the improvement of the current client, and those to come ???

What a ****ing idea !

P.S. Yes, GoodNotes did it. But they support only iOS and Mac, they do not run their own servers (sync by iCloud), they announced they would have both apps available, but they said as well that they will stop developing GN 4, and that new features will be added only to GN 5. They kept GN 4 alive because when they released GN 5, there were several functions missing, and some took month to be released.

This is not the case with EN iOS 10, there is not much missing from the old releases, plus several new features (long awaited) are available from the start. Since EN iOS 10.0.2 hit the App Store I am pretty confident about the next steps.

6 小時前, HeBoIz說:

isn't that nonsense?

As we all know Android, Windows, Mac users still have the old frontends which haven't built up new on the new code base.
(And they all are working simultanously though each of this frontends so far works with a still native Android-, Windows or Mac- codebase).

It just has been a long time stategical decision of Evernote, may be 2 years ago, to set all 5 clients (including the web interface) on an common code base, which has better chances to be economically maintained, preserved and further developed.

"Keeping (up) both versions" will cost a lot of ressources which may not be given or better may be invested in getting this thing ready soon...

Even though I miss a couple of things in v10.0.x, I don't want the old version back. While waiting for helping updates on iOS I will use other frontends  like my Android-phone, the meanwhile very improved editor in the web-version or my desktop-app for single missing features.

Not to mention users who have iPhones w/ iOS 12.

If you just minimise effects for users these two months, I would say keeping v8.24.6 is better than nothing.

And keeping up both versions won't let you miss v10.0.x, you can still enjoy the latest version while others can use v8.24.6 in the short run.

There are some users here speaking for Evernote while not considering other kinds of users and other circumstances, justifying their cases only valid, denying others and even denying suggestions that can satisfy all. They have been driving other users away for a long time, and Evernote finds no reason to change due to those 'loyal' customers.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, Alvin C said:

There are some users here speaking for Evernote while not considering other kinds of users

Just on a general principle,  the only ones here who speak "for" Evernote are the ones with EMPLOYEE in big letters on their profile. 

Everything else here is just an individual expressing an opinion,  which the company will consider alongside all other feedback they receive before deciding what - if anything - to do.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 9/29/2020 at 4:44 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

A limitation of the App Store makes it so that we cannot offer an older version of the app, so there is not a way to downgrade to a previous version at this time.

However, please continue to share the issues that you're encountering in the forums, and I will provide progress updates on the reported issues.

Hey Shane,

Do you know when  sorting search results might be added back?  No sense in spending time with this version when it is not functional for folks who want to access stuff without throwing their phone across the room.  I could at least limp along with this version with that capability put right.  Cluster otherwise.  Still have the old version on my iPad, fortunate though inconvenient.

• Like 2

Downgrades are not possible on iOS. This versions is a train wreck. I am using the web interface for now hoping that at least the major bugs will be squashed soon. I wrote to support expressing my disappointment: Evernote should prioritize reliability above everything else, these terrible updates are not acceptable. 

• Level 5

10.0.2 is significantly better (fixes for some basic functions). Will try 10.0.3 that just got released tomorrow.

It seems we get step by step to a level we all would have expected when the first #10-release was pushed to the AppStore.

• Level 5

OK it is close to midnight here, and I will not test it before having taken a nap to steel my will, to sharpen my eye and to calm my temper.

Better ?

We non-native speakers may sound funny from time to time, but at least we try.

• Like 1

I don’t like this version at all. It’s horrible. The user experience of the previous version was far better. Icons are blinking everywhere, and web content is not editable. This is how Evernote was in 2010. I’ve been looking to Notion and thinking for long time to migrate to it. It’s very powerful and completely free. But unique features of Evernote kept me with it for more than a year. It’s uniqueness makes it hard to leave it.  But now, I think the decision became very easier. 

• Like 3
On 9/29/2020 at 5:44 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any other 

Once again, please return the older version. You can definitely upload a legacy version. I'm an iOS developer and knows that.

This is a completely Web app, not an iOS app. And it's a very poorly built one. Why after 2 years of waiting you come up with this? You needed to be agile. This approach of software development is dead more than a decade ago. I'm very afraid that my desktop version will be ruined this way, but at least I can keep the older version.

I will certainly cancel my subscription renewal, and start planning my migration to Notion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d be happy with getting the BEFORE 10 version IOS Evernote back on my 7 Plus iPhone.  

Can the Evernote BEFORE 10 version be available in the APP store?  

The new added features in version 10 are awesome but the deleted features are more important than the new features.

1). Missing the Standard Regularly Used PRINT command in Share. In the Evernote IOS version 10.4.

2)  Missing the properly working FIND IN NOTE feature in the Evernote IOS version 10.4.

Thanks.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hi. If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest (re)installing the legacy version and using that where v10 isn't yet ready. Install an older version of Evernote 

The legacy version is only a Mac/Windows option   
It's an Apple restriction; IOS apps can only be downloaded from the app store

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
23 hours ago, bishopblaize said:

There’s nothing to stop them adding a second app to the App Store. OmniFocus had a legacy version in the store for years.

Admitting failure can be an issue.  Though it would be a solid gesture until the issues are addressed in V10.  Might give folks some hope for the company and how it feels about its customers.  Them that need it could go backwards for a bit.  EN controls for how long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have to revert back to old Evernote version, at least on my laptop. Every major Evernote update is, at best, half-baked. That’s true with the iOS versions. We were told that it came out first because it’s “prepared” (Small 2020). Well it’s not; it’s incredibly slow, unless your computer or unit is incredibly fast which mine is not, unless the purpose of the update is to cater only to a small —albeit “higher”/favored— segment of their user’s population. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Franthonyreyes13@gmail.com said:

I have to revert back to old Evernote version, at least on my laptop. Every major Evernote update is, at best, half-baked. That’s true with the iOS versions. We were told that it came out first because it’s “prepared” (Small 2020). Well it’s not; it’s incredibly slow, unless your computer or unit is incredibly fast which mine is not, unless the purpose of the update is to cater only to a small —albeit “higher”/favored— segment of their user’s population. 

Yeah, no can do on IOS.  I really wish I had not upgraded on my phone.  Not having sort for search results is just, well, very disappointing.  Kind of like "You lost me at hello."

• Like 1

I jiust got the ios update -for evernote - 20 mins - OH MY GOD WHAT A DISASTER ... they hired some self indulgent designer - who apparent does not use the product on a day to day basis ...  what is the term for an update that is not even ready for Alpa  (let alone beta, or an automatic update)

my tag shortcuts are now UNUASABLE ....   and I prettymuch cant work

Is there no way to roll this back?  (i was not even given a choice!)

Help!

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, cornell2 said:

Is there no way to roll this back?

Nope,  sorry  - not in iOS;  Desktops can 'dual boot' both new and old versions,  or it's possible to stick with the previous public release for the time being.

The lack of fonts on the new version means I have notes that have two totally different text: 1 font when I have updated on iOS and another font when the text came from my Mac OS app. I want to revert back to an earlier version when this didn't happen. Is that possible on iOS?

I’ve already started migrating to Notion, something I was deferring for more than a year. I relied on Evernote so deeply that I did not want to disrupt my setup and flow. But forcing me to migrate uncovered the power of Notion, and I’m glad for that. While most of my stuff still in Evernote, but the core of my work is in Notion now, and it enabled me to manage my work in a completely different way I never thought about. I’ll still use Evernote for note taking and some archives, but I won’t continue my subscription. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If it better serves your workflow, be happy you found it.

What others reported after being in love with notion for a while is that you need to really thinking through. EN is quite structured, whereas Notion is sort of an open database-driven concept. Many things in EN are build into routines you just need to call, which you need to build for yourself in Notion. So take your time to set it up.

And you move from one Electron-driven app to another, so memory, CPU and battery usage will be similar.

I agree with you. 

There are two things: features and UX, and app technology.

Notion has powerful features that is not in Evernote. I'm able to manage my stuff using Agile method for the first time just like I do in my software projects. And I can mix projects together in one board, something not possible on famous software project management platforms. It's not structured, yes. But this gives me the full flexibility to achieve that. For the editor, after using it as my primary tool, I found that this editor is the best editor for professional. Simple, powerful, and standard.

For app tech, I sticked to Evernote because it's native. After being web-based, they are equal, and thus Notion was worth a shot.

Still Evernote has its own uniqueness, but I don't think it's worth paying the money anymore.

• Like 1

My issue is this was done without warning.  Apple watch compatibility is completely gone, and web clipper without any function.  These were not "bugs", but known limitations that were not disclosed in an effort to get paying customers to become Beta testers overnight.

And THAT is the real crime here, not a myriad of bugs.  I paid and contracted for a certain feature set, only to have it WILLFULLY and detrimentally deleted/altered with no disclosure and no recourse.

Legacy version on the app store (as an alternate) is quite possible.  Delete 10.x and install Legacy 8.xx.x (personal choice; not everyone).  It was working for me mere days ago under iOS 14.  This would be optional, not mandatory - I too really like the tag handling redesign, but since my iWatch was my primary note-taking device, and the web clipper secondary, I'm willing to forgo the 10.x "groundup" hoopla until it's ready and plod along with the legacy.  I'm not an iOS Dev, but I am an IT guy and those that are claiming "it can't be done" is really doublespeak for "we'd really rather not" . . .  just like other posters have mentioned, It still works fine on my Android and other platforms without any "ground up" release.

Temporarily installed the Bear for the complication, but now also will have a look at Notion.

Edited by SteveRacer
typos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone know if the conversion sw (https://www.onenote.com/import-evernote-to-onenote) to OneNote works?

I am lost on this new iPhone new version. Ruined my favorite app. 

My other gripes (since this page seems to  be a catch all for what is wrong with this release) are ... loss of some images, font display, problems with zooming, and the fact that it inserts a line of blank space under all my images. I have done separate posts on these 3 things.

On 9/18/2020 at 8:28 PM, NightStalker said:

This new version of Evernote, released only days after iOS14 came out (I ran betas of iOS14 before the main release) seems to be a disaster.

Once again, they seem to be unable to get it right before a major release (this has been the case for years - I've been a Premium subscriber almost from the beginning of Evernote).  Either their beta testers just don't pick up these bugs, or the coders don't fix them.  And once again, they change stuff for the sake of changing it - like the Clipper, which now doesn't seem to work at all.  See separate thread on Saving to Evernote from iOS.  Mine simply doesn't work.  No clipped note.  Zero.  And this is a disaster for me as I source information from both the web browser (Safari) and Flipboard constantly.  I can't do that with this new version on iOS14.

I don't know if the problem is Evernote, or iOS14, or most likely both together.  But iOS14 has been in the works for months, with lots of beta testers, so I can't imagine that the Evernote coding team didn't have access to iOS14.

So - how can I downgrade my iOS Evernote back to the previous version, which worked just fine?

Sorry to say this Devs, but this release is a catastrophe. It's got a clunky gui and is much slower than previous releases.
Please fix.
Thank you,
Gregg Mazel, a long-time Evernote customer

This upgrade sucks.  I pay as a premium member.

issues:

- lost data from a note today.  Important medical info. Thanks management team for the arbitrary deadlines.  Tight.  Really helps us users.

- large notes no longer work.  Take forever to load and are sluggish.  Have to create new notes now when they reach a certain size.

- the undo button right next to the save button on a smart phone.  Wow, great decision there product/ux.  Put it on the other side for heavens sakes.

I get it.  Your management incentives are stupid and your family needs that bonus.  But grow some balls.  Fix the toxic culture, don’t just go along with it.  Get a leadership team that values working software.  Get rid of the deadline pushing jokers.

Im sure qa and the engineers are burnt out from overwork and well aware the release is hot garbage.

• Like 1

Is anyone else having problems with sharing on a mac? I just made the mistake of updating and my permissions were lost for all of my shared notebooks and I'm not receiving the new invites in work chat by my associate to access them again, even though she can see I still have permission. 🤦‍♀️ 

My iOS Evernote updated - and I'm no longer able to edit tables, it shows up as "HTML Content".

If I create a new table in the Desktop app - that seems to work, but if I try to copy and paste from the old table on the Desktop app into the new table, the iOS device sees the same problem again.

Tables worked in the prior mobile version of Evernote.

On 9/19/2020 at 1:53 PM, gazumped said:

Hi both - I'd suggest you raise your issues with Support (which we're not - mainly just us users here...).  Evernote may not yet know about these issues but they will want to fix them...

Don’t the developers read these columns? If they don’t, that tells you something about the problems at Evernote.

I'm not one to gripe, but, I've been so frustrated on this topic I'm going to chime in.

Evernote - I agree with the above, please, please bring back the old app until this new app can "finish baking."

I've been a member since 2011.  I was lured by great tools, and a promise that Evernote wanted to be the 100 Year Company.  A promise that this would be my trusted companion for all my information.  And, it has been that.  My records system, my to do list, my journal - that I could use anywhere.  Then we were promised "modernization," which, sure, things for sure look "dated"  - but they worked - so the "dated" was okay.  The new looks, including the iOS, I think are well thought out.  Frankly, you would hope so for the amount of time this has taken.  So, when the release came, I was excited.  But, out of the chute, things went south fast.

My trust tool IS NO MORE on iOS.  I won't list all the bugs here (I'm sure they are all documented.  Also, I've opened a support ticket close to two weeks ago with no response), but, at a core fundamental, I cannot reliably create notes:

• I've seen them flat out disappear into the either.
  • Plain text notes, or "snapshot photos" - gone without a trace.
  • Some that were critical in the moment - something that never happened with the old app.
  • Reminders cannot be edited.  It acts like it is, but, then the note shows the old date.

Nor can I retrieve notes.  Quickly.  In the moment. Whether by lists or searches. 

• Saved Searches to bring up notes in the right context do not work - again - which worked fine in the old app.
  • Sometimes I click on the note and all it brings up is a blank white page.
  • I've seen the app just bring up a whole black screen and become unresponsive.
  • Again, none of this ever  happened with the old app.

Evernote - again, please bring back the old app.  Begging.  Pleading.  Then, put a program in place (Agile? A good QA / UAT Program?) and finish baking a warm, yummy, awesome new product so I don't have to change my signature below.  

• Like 8
On 9/18/2020 at 7:28 PM, NightStalker said:

I couldn't agree more on the issue with this version being a disaster.  I have used Evernote since 2013 and rely on it daily.  I'm on it all day for notes, as I am a comedy writer and performer.  Ideas, logs, interviews... they have all gone into Evernote.  To be fair, it's the best thing out there - although I've slowly seen a case for switching to OneNote.  But this version is UNUSABLE.  I have never in 7 years of Evernote submitted so many specific and SHOWSTOPPING bugs.  Entire chunks of text are disappearing.  If you switch from one device to another, that used to be seamless, but now it's a death warrant.  You'll lose text, get multiple file duplications and start to get confused on which file is the "real" file.  I spend more time submitting bugs than I do on taking notes.  And I'm a die hard fan normally.  

Just now I switched to the iMac Pro in hopes that at least their strongest flagship versions might be working.  WRONG.  They are not working.  The autosync causes the text to jump so much that it's like someone is fighting every key stroke by learning on the delete key.  It almost reminds me of years ago when I had a Word Processor keyboard and it had more bugs than usefullness... but I was so hopeful for the possibilities that I kept using it.

I can say for certain that usually Evernote works for large spans of time with only small issues... But now the images won't indent, when I take a picture to add it to a note, they freeze or disappear, notes are disappearing or duplicating multiple times... There are so many bugs that all I want is to go back to an older version.  And even that failed.  I grabbed an old iPhone hoping that it just wouldn't update.  I turned off the app-updating function.... and suddenly Evernote FORCED the update somehow.

It's so bad that I'm opening notes, but in each note I'm merely referring to another app where I have the "real" notes.  My hope is that sometime in the future I can transfer all of them.  I find this version to be not worth my time.  I would rather not use it.  I feel like it's surgery.  Just knock me out until the horror show is over. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, davidtderrick said:

Don’t the developers read these columns? If they don’t, that tells you something about the problems at Evernot

On 9/19/2020 at 8:53 AM, gazumped said:

Hi both - I'd suggest you raise your issues with Support (which we're not - mainly just us users here...).  Evernote may not yet know about these issues but they will want to fix them...

I feel like it's probably safe to say that people have submitted multiple bugs and support requests prior to getting to this forum.  That's how it happened in my case anyway.  I understand your suggestion, but I imagine everyone has submitted so many bugs by now that this is the only place that seems left as an avenue of some kind of hope.  At the very least a place to commiserate.

I have submitted 8 of the some 20+ Showstopping bugs that I have found.  Unless they are going to pay users to work as Quality Assurance Staff, it's excessive to expect that they can launch a complete disaster of a half-product and expect the Paying Users to locate, specify, and line-by-line notate the process of duplicating every bug, so that Developers at Evernote can create a useable product.  If they have a QA staff, what... exactly..... do they do?

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, davidtderrick said:

These are not matters for “Support”. They are matters for the developers! Are they reading this?

So far in this thread there's been mention of lost data,  sharing issues and various other gripes.  Some of it may be an issue for support - and if not,  they do talk to the developers sometimes...  getting an 'official' ticket for each problem also quantifies it for Evernote and -maybe- gets the important ones fixed first.  Although downgrading the iOS version does not seem to be in their control.  And as someone else has said here recently - I'd rather have the devs fixing the code than responding to individual users!

My experience of the new version is similar to what has been expressed here. The new iOS version is painfully slow. Plus I have found that attempts to open notes saved as Word documents result in the app freezing (I have had to convert all Word documents to rtf to get around this annoyance), and among other missing features it has ditched the alphabetical index at the side of the Notes pane, which was always very helpful for quickly finding notes that are sorted by title. Altogether not a triumph of software engineering! I hope there will be another rebuild “from the ground up” that will restore the lost functionality, as I rely on Evernote to manage a database of some 700 medical articles. As it is, it’s not user friendly.

Evernote Developers,

I was warned about this upgrade by my brother but however, due to the Auto-Update feature I was unable to stop the upgrade on my phone.
The net effect is the loss of access to ~150 notes on my desktop app (OSX, EN 7.14) as the two versions do not seem to be able to coordinate their sync.
In addition, the desktop app does not seem to sync with the web server as the note counts do not match.

The ability to sync across devices and versions is a CORE functionality.
Without it, the entire Evernote ecosystem is rendered inoperable and therefore useless to users.
Useless apps are quickly tossed aside.

After reading the comments on this forum, the lack of responsiveness and the inability downgrade to a more stable iOS version I refuse to upgrade the desktop version until these issues are resolved. Half-baked releases that remove long standing features and simply do not work are not the way to instill trust in your user base.

Evernote: Take note...
                  *This* is how you *lose* customers/subscribers!

If you'll note - several posters are *already* looking to jump ship to other apps.

The flare has gone up. The shot across the bow has been fired.

Move quickly before the loyal customer base you've so carefully built up is gone in a flash.

One foot out of the boat.....
Evernote user since 2011

• Like 1

Looks like there are at least 3 threads with people reporting all notes that haven't been edited since v10 rolled out are stuck in "View Only" mode.

Since I can't no longer edit my notes on iOS, Evernote is no longer usable to me.

We Need a quick fix and ideally an ETA -- @Shane D.  this is why I'm trying to downgrade.

The case for me right now:
Migrated core and most important work to Notion, very awesome project management tool. 

Planned to take notes via Evernote because it has unique features in this regard, like email notes, scanning docs, and web clipper, plus Notion is not ideal for this task. However, as the performance of the iOS app is very horrible, it represents a barrier to easily jot quick notes. So I decided to use Apple Notes for quick notes, and it’s great. Now it’s sufficient for quick notes and scanning docs, as Apple added this features in iOS 13. 

There are still a lot of stuff and archives in Evernote that I did not decide on. But most likely I may move all out before their service stops completely. If they continue this way, this will obviously happen. 

Hi. We need evernote for our business and can’t work with it for severall days now ! The new version is a big mess. Please can you give us the possibility to get back the old version ? Most of us use evernote on their ipads. Now if i would like to see all notes which are tagged by a special tag, i can see them, but i can not sort them by reminder anymore. We have about a thousand notes in it and i can’t work like this. Please help us !

• Level 5

On desktops you can use the legacy versions for Windows and Mac:

For iOS there is no way back, the AppStore does not allow for it.

Maybe you can sort it out on a desktop in a way that allows the iPad team to work. Setting intermediate tags every day based on reminders that come due could be a possibility.

Thanks PinkElephant. We are not able to use windows PCs for all employees but thanks for your try to help us. I think we have to wait for a solution from evernote. Otherwise we will change our CRM. I have been thinking about to do this for a too long time now.

It is an outright shame that this bermuda-shirt wearing hippies in California are allowed to misuse their worldwide position.

My business is dependent on the usability of Evernote on iOS.
Luckily I did NOT permanently upgrade the desktop version. After trying this version I quickly reversed my steps (I kept th old version)
Unfortunately I cannot do this for my iPads!. 

One thin is sure: I will kill the autoupdate-function.

So far we are still Abel to use it, but I do get a lot of complaints!!

Evernote: FIX THIS ASAP !!!

• Like 1

I SEE AMAJOR PROBLEM IN EVERNOTE CORPORATE CULTURE : WHO'S DECIDING YOU CAN RELEASE THIS UX ***** ?

How's that even possible to cut features i use, while making it so slow ? This is steal of my time and mood. Who the ***** personnaly responsible for such decisions ?

• Like 1

I also lost critical data that will cost me about one day to reconstruct. It included text notes and some photographs ... all sort of there for a short time, then just lost. Gone. I only pay then $40 per year, so I'm not important enough of a person to speak with customer support. ***** that...

I rolled back to Legacy for Mac, but unable to do it on my iPhone. They need to release the previous Legacy version for iOS as a separate application with a disclaimer they will not be adding new features. They also need to give current paid customers access to that application for free.

This has been a disaster for me, and is pretty much killing my workflow.

Hey, I'm glad to see so many people expressing  their frustration with the new Evernote for iOS, as I thought I was the only one and it was only in my mind. There are so many things wrong with this version, that I just don't know where to start. And I keep discovering new bugs and removed features. It's like some junior programmer decided to do a weekend project with some fancy new technology, except that this experiment is affecting millions of users. I also wanted to cancel my subscription, but unfortunately, the automatic renewal bit me and now I'm stuck with Evernote for another year. I'm truly mad, that an application, which I've used for so many years and which I've loved, just got destroyed in front of my eyes. I guess the lesson is that we need to appreciate the good software, while it lasts, as nothing guarantees, it will remain good forever.

• Like 1

Evernote user for years.  I’ve given this version a few months now, and I don’t make a habit of complaining, but it is still so slow and clunky as to be practically unusable.  I mostly work on iPad, so running a legacy version isn’t an option.  A few basic new features were nice, other more important ones (like ‘simplify formatting’) were lost.   Simple copy/paste images paste three times so that two must be deleted.  Inline copied images paste an additional copy at the bottom of the selection.  Overall it’s just slow slow slow slow slow.  Definitely a backwards move in usability.

sorry that I didn't see this post before and started a new one 

I really don't know what to do with this workless rubbish on my phone. I am using EN on work, and it lost ALL the functions that we were using well before. The only thing keep me here is my 16,000 notes was hijacked and a little bit of last hope. But what the fxxking icon on my iPhone & iPad for, if it cannot cap my doc, screen, web, pdf by share with? What for an icon only cannot save my data and sync easily without hesitating? What this icon for charging my money but can do NONE of a things I need?  And why I need to paid for none of reply or improved after a quarter of year? But a memory eater only.

Where are you, Shane D? Where are you, Ian Small?

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

在 2020/9/30 在 AM5點44分, Shane D.說:

Hi All,

I don't think it cannot.  Many apps have "lite", "pro", "free", "trail", why not "legacy" int the same time in store, or saying "the only workable version"?  Just do it, NOW!

And replying your last sentence, it is not FREE to telling you questions here, we PAID for it.  But we cannot REACH you in fact. 

Just installed the legacy version from https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314 and happy to have done so. What a sh*tshow. Whose brilliant idea was it to release a buggy version without nearly having feature parity? Jesus.

• Like 1
On 1/4/2021 at 10:07 PM, RomanSem said:

Just installed the legacy version from https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314 and happy to have done so. What a sh*tshow. Whose brilliant idea was it to release a buggy version without nearly having feature parity? Jesus.

Thank you RomanSem!!!!! I installed the older version from this link after too many weeks of frustration. My devices literally NEVER synced and I was tearing my hair out. With the older version I also got the handy checkbox back. Now it's time to find an alternative, I'm over this heartache whenever there's an update. 🙄

Let me see if I understand this right. 

There is no intention to provide a legacy version for iOS.

There is no intention to restore local storage for folders.

An internet connection didn’t used to be required to use Evernote, which was great because where I live the only way to get online is with a mobile hotspot. But now the iOS app at least does not work offline. 

It isn’t that I choose to drop Evernote. Evernote decided to kick me to the curb. I CANNOT “CHOOSE” TO USE AN APP THAT SUDDENLY STOPS WORKING. You developers are so surrounded by cheap, universal available and fast internet that it didn’t occur to you that you have users on the “have not” side. Broadband internet is NOT available in many areas of the US.

All the wonderful features on earth don’t matter if I can’t use the product on my device. It’s like looking through the windows of a nice restaurant. After being thrown out of the restaurant without warning. Goodbye, and thanks for all the fish.

Yup.   That's a big fat FU from a provider of software that was supposed to work the way I PAID FOR IT.

Without warning, they crippled functionality and made all their customers Beta testers.   For 9 months and 10 updates.

Now they are rolling out "tasks" which I gather is free, for a trial.

HOW ABOUT FIXING THE @^%$&^@! SOFTWARE BEFORE ADDING MORE THINGS I DIDN"T ASK (OR PAY) FOR???

• Level 5

About iOS legacy: Not permitted by the rules of the AppStore - any experienced iOS user should know this. There is always only the last release available, and once updated there is no going back.

Actually the iOS app today is so much better than the old releases that I think one must be actively ignoring the progress made to wish back the „good“ old days. The only still missing function I remember is the Watch App. On the other hand we now have nested tags, table editing, a superior editor and more.

About iOS offline notebooks: The iOS v10 app had offline notebooks as an option since day one. The initial release was not working (surprise …) , it works since 10.4, from my experience last glitches with the syncing of new content were removed with 10.6. It since runs without any problem on my i-devices, with fully downloaded content.

@SteveRacer your rant just proves to me you didn’t even try - your tell no details, just thin hot air.

@PinkElephant Your sycophantic devotion to making excuses for a criminal business model is quite telling.  Show me a disclaimer about the removed features PRIOR to the update version 10.0 and I'll eat all the crow in crowdom.

Roden D. (Evernote Help and Learning)

Jun 11, 2021, 0:14 PDT

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting Evernote Customer Support.

I understand that you are looking for the iWatch, or as I understand, the Apple Watch feature of Evernote for iOS.

We still haven’t yet built Apple Watch support into the new Evernote for iOS, but it's near the top of our list. We know how important this feature is and will be including support for it in a future release.

We really apologize for this matter. I understand you'd like to go back to using the older version of Evernote. Unfortunately, if you've already updated the app, there's no way to reinstall the older version. The new Evernote app offers many new features and functionality, including:

·         Improved note formatting and consistency across apps

·         Faster, easier search

·         Improved reliability and stability using the newest versions of Evernote

We truly believe this is the best version of Evernote yet. If you're having trouble with the new app, I'd be happy to help troubleshoot with you so you can get back to being productive with Evernote.

We really appreciate your understanding regarding this matter, and I understand that frustration.

Please let me know if you have other questions, and concerns.

Warm regards,

Roden D.
Customer Support Representative

• Level 5

Not the first software that had a feature removed in an update. The watch support is to return, one day.

The Apple Watch support is in the category „would like to have it back, can do without“ for me. Feel free to disagree…

Completely understood.  But a disclaimer would have been nice (and legal), especially as there is no return to a legacy version on the iOs platform, for whatever reason.  From what I hear, users were eventually forced into the 10.x platform by the app itself, regardless of their "automatic/update" settings.  Otherwise I would just sideload a legacy version.  From what I hear, it won't work.

I don't think 9+ months out of a year-long subscription is a reasonable pill to swallow. 

The complication was a major input method for me.  And I simply do NOT believe this is of ANY priority to the devs, given the "premier" early rollout of TASKS, which seems pretty evident will be a new paid business model in the future.  Quit telling me "We care, and it's just rain you're feeling . . ."

• Level 5

The „do not return“ for apps is build into the iOS App Store. The only way to install an older version is to jailbreak the iPhone first, which is hardly a perspective with iOS.

The app was updated when auto-update was set. If not, it was on the update list, and you had to be very careful every time you update other apps to keep it on the old version. iOS has no option to select a specific App and stop updating only this one.

There is a number of options to quickly grab something on the Watch, build into the OS or for purchase. Not the same, but helps to bridge the gap.

On 9/30/2020 at 1:16 AM, Nicole1971 said:

Using tags and searching in your notebook results in zero results, although there are 407 notes in my notebook.

Same. And here we are, almost a year later.

• Level 5

This is BS, quoting a post from 9 month and 10 releases ago. Complete BS !

How do I know ?

Because I had an interesting time with tech support. I had set up 5 searches, that should produce the same notes as a result. Legacy, v10, mobile, offline data, the full drill.

Initially they didn’t match. They were not completely off, but not really close either.

We worked on them for more than 4 weeks. There were shared notebooks among them, both shared by me and to me. There were notes where the search string was only inside of an attachment. There were some old notes mixed under the total.

In the end they matched. We tested with another query set to confirm, matched as well.

But some people who take a legacy search to start with have a broken legacy database or search index. I am pretty sure the majority of people in this (long) thread don’t know by heart whether their legacy data is clean, or how to fix it if not. Then it is garbage in, garbage out.

Then search in v10 has its own (not bad, different) methods. And it seems there may be an issue about saved searches that came up these days. My probe had no saved searches, so we can skip this here.

To wrap it up: It is very easy to post unproven stuff here, and equally easy to repeat it. Who states he has 407 notes (Where ? And how do you know for sure, see above ?) and finds 0 of them when searching, simply made a grave mistake in building the search.

Maybe the „superuser“ posters here in the thread, who know it all (if it is all bad) should work more with EN staff than bitching about them.