Searching within a note is insane

Amystoneus

Idea

There is so much wrong with the search functionality I can’t begin to know if it’s the new iOS 14 or the new EN v.10.0, but what I do know is this app is bringing me to tears. My life is writing, and I subscribe to this app so I never have to lose a bear regardless of what device I’m on. That said, my notes are long, and because I couldn’t keep a note open for a second if I went to another app, I got in the habit of putting a “%%%” at the end of every note so I could do a quick search to get to the end. Now, when I do that search, the note goes dark, or blank, or just stalls while I wait to get that one search result. But then, when I finally get that one result, the note not only doesn’t scroll to it, but the link isn’t active. That’s most of the time. Other times, the note does go to the bottom and highlight the search parameter, but the screen stays dark, like the background in a lightbox gallery. When I click on the note to make it active, the note either goes back to the top, or remains unclickable, or goes blank and then reloads. At that point, the edit and new note buttons flash. On top of that, it seems my search—or just leaving the note and coming back (I didn’t even switch devices!) is causing duplicate notes to appear. When I performed the same search for my “%%%” on one of the clones, I got 21 results! However, I was unable to cycle through those 21 results to verify if that was a true set of results, and when I tried to scroll through the note, it would not enter edit mode. 

I’m dying here! Every time I open this app to actually WRITE, I wind up posting in this forum! 

• Sad 2

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Just tried search for a note and search in a note on my iPhone. It is still on iOS 13, but since today on EN 10. Offline stuff is still loading, so there is background activity.

Both searches perform very fast. When I searched for a string, it was highlighted throughout the note content (text, not tried with an attachment).

When I used the search in the (Open) note to find another string, it did so very fast, and found it 5 times. I have not looked up whether there would be 6 or 7 hits, but the 5 found were on the spot.

Personally I would assume that using „%%%“ is interpreted as a sort of code or undefined character instead of a string, and this mixes things up. To mark the end of things, I use rather surprisingly ZZZ, and AAA if I need to mark the beginning. These strings do not show often in normal documents.

Maybe make a search & replace on an non-iOS-platform as a workaround.

• Level 5*

Key side point is something that once worked doesn't.  Too many of these instances in these new versions which demonstrates a bit of disrespect to the user base.  Particularly apparently simple stuff like this.  Unless the forum base is out of sync with typical EN usage.

Moving this to the EN IOS 10 thread.

• Thanks 2

I just posted the same issue as well regarding the weakness of search in EN 10.0.  Not having the optionality to sort searches as in previous versions takes away from its strength.  Fortunately the windows and android app versions still offer this feature.  EN needs to fix this as the strength of this platform is the ability to search for documents.  

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, CR5150 said:

Im not upgrading windows if its going to look like this ios garbage. taking away features, i dont get it.

All users should disable app auto-upgrade   
Only upgrade apps after reviewing feedback

• Like 1

I upgraded to IOS version 10 last night & my iPhone updated same time to 14.  I use “Find in note” and it does not work in old notes before the IOS version 10 update.  The Find A Note does work in NEW NOTES created with IOS Version 10 update.

I don’t use tags.  I use hashtags within my notes to quickly navigate within the note via Find in Note.  

I Also just discovered after hours of searching that PRINTING is not available in IOS version 10.  I use the PRINT function to turn my IOS notes into PDFs & PRINT/ADOBE has worked Great BEFORE the update.  I regret updating.

Member since March 2014.

31544B35-CE88-41AC-97B5-1E68BBB94030.jpeg

• Like 1
On 9/18/2020 at 6:13 PM, Amystoneus said:

There is so much wrong with the search functionality I can’t begin to know if it’s the new iOS 14 or the new EN v.10.0, but what I do know is this app is bringing me to tears. My life is writing, and I subscribe to this app so I never have to lose a bear regardless of what device I’m on. That said, my notes are long, and because I couldn’t keep a note open for a second if I went to another app, I got in the habit of putting a “%%%” at the end of every note so I could do a quick search to get to the end. Now, when I do that search, the note goes dark, or blank, or just stalls while I wait to get that one search result. ...

I’m dying here! Every time I open this app to actually WRITE, I wind up posting in this forum! 

I have the same issue with Find In Note.  Sometimes it works & most times it doesn’t work.  Same as you mentioned:  Most times when performing Find In Note, the Note goes dark & won’t unfreeze until I CANCEL  Find In Note.  PRINT & Find In Note are 2 of my most valued functions in my Notes & the productivity of those 2 features are pretty much gone in EN v10.4.  I’ve read in the forum that many people take time & consideration to place special keywords / placements within their lengthy notes to enhance productivity by Find In Note search to instantly move around lengthy Notes.  For me that Find In Note system is Awesome & works way better than “tags”.  I don’t use tags.  My heart sinks every time I use Find In Note to move around my every day used Notes & Find In Note won’t work most of the time.  I can’t figure out why Find In Note will work sometimes & then won’t work most times.  Makes me wonder if I’m doing something wrong.  I mostly use EN v10.4 on my IOS iPhone 7 plus v14.  To be fair, the more I use the new EN 10.4, the more comfortable I’ve become with it.  The “undo” feature is a life saver. But, the every APP standard PRINT command is IMPORTANT & I can’t believe it was deleted in the IOS v10.4 update.  The PRINT work arounds are painful & a ***** shoot - sometimes the complicated PRINT work around works & most times the complicated PRINT work arounds DON’T work.  My 2 cents.

I have the same problem with search and have had the problem for years -- search is terrible.  It brings up documents that I swear don't have the search strings int hem and misses documents I'm searching for that do.