No Sync (iOS version behaves like a read only client) [UPDATED]

Ok, so anything I do in the iOS version is not reflected in the stable Mac version (or website). 

Creating a note does not sync to the Mac (or website).

Deleting a note does not sync to the Mac (or website). 

I've had Evernote on iOS open for like 60 minutes (foreground) for notes I created hours ago and even after restarts or pull down to refresh nothing syncs back to the Mac.

If I create or delete a note on Mac, it shows up or disappears on iOS. So it's an iOS to website (to Mac) issue seemingly. 

UPDATED

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Chris_W said:

So it's an iOS to Mac issue seemingly.

The sync process is     device <> server <> device   
                                not   device <> device

Check your data on the server at  www.evernote.com to isolate the  problem

I know the sequence of syncing. And new notes that I've tried to add using "Share" to Evernote, from both iPhone and iPad (both on iOS14) with the new iOS version of Evernote are NOT on the server at evernote.com ...

The device<>server syncing is not happening.  Even the pane that comes up on trying to share (the one with "Type a title" in it, which I really don't want to be doing while I'm saving clips on the fly) disappears way too quickly when I tap on "Save".  Previously there was a delay while the Clipper "sucked up" the web page, article, whatever.  But now it doesn't seem to do that. 

I've tried clipping and adding 20 - 30 different notes, from full web pages, to simplified article to selected text, etc.  And NONE of them is on either the Evernote server or on any other device, including my Mac.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, DTLow said:

The sync process is     device <> server <> device   
                                not   device <> device

Check your data on the server at  www.evernote.com to isolate the  problem

Thank you. I can say that the website also does not reflect any changes made in the iOS version. I'll edit my original post to include that info.

3 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

Hi all,

Thanks for letting us know.

We're currently looking into this, and I'll follow-up once I know more.

Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

Thanks. If there was a way to get a TestFlight link to the old version that would be great, since the new one is not functional. 

Read only access to my notes for a few days now was a nuisance, but another week would be a bigger problem.

• Level 5*

I have two offline notebooks that don't have many notes in them.  For one of those notebooks the green bar has not completed its journey, the other shows the down arrow which I assume means download complete.  Just added a couple of notes in IOS looking for them in Windows, one to each notebook.  The note in the already downloaded notebook syncs.  The one in not completed download is not syncing.  So amateur assessment, something is gummed up in that notebook.  Clueless as to which note(s). 

There are only 10 notes in the notebook so I add xx to the end of the titles.  Everything syncs and I see all the notes on the desktop.  Good thing.  Now there is no green bar for that notebook on the iPhone.  I edit the titles on the desktop and sync.  Back to the phone and sync and now I have the down arrow completed download.  Cluster.

8 小時前, Chris_W說:

Thanks. If there was a way to get a TestFlight link to the old version that would be great, since the new one is not functional. 

Read only access to my notes for a few days now was a nuisance, but another week would be a bigger problem.

I think they need to put back v8.24.6 to the App Store, or if they can release v10.0.1, 10.0.2...at least every two to three days trying their best to fix as more issues as possible.

I’ve had a 2018 iPad open for days with screen lock set to off and Evernote on screen. Doing this to get a few selected notebooks to download offline. Woke up today and there was a permission message on screen for notifications “allow Evernote to send notifications,” but Evernote had shut down. I’m guessing because of this or something else to do with Evernote. Shrug. On this iPad it seems like the notebooks, eventually, will download, but on a fast connection with mostly text notes and an iPad left on constantly it shouldn’t take days.

On my 2017 iPad Pro, it’s a different story. I’ve also been trying to get the same notebooks to download offline. The green progress bar will move about this far —— on screen and then won’t progress further. Sometimes , it will progress that far and completely reset as if it has downloaded nothing. I can’t edit or access any of these notes while they are being downloaded. 

12 minutes ago, bounce said:

I’ve had a 2018 iPad open for days with screen lock set to off and Evernote on screen. Doing this to get a few selected notebooks to download offline. Woke up today and there was a permission message on screen for notifications “allow Evernote to send notifications,” but Evernote had shut down. I’m guessing because of this or something else to do with Evernote. Shrug. On this iPad it seems like the notebooks, eventually, will download, but on a fast connection with mostly text notes and an iPad left on constantly it shouldn’t take days.

On my 2017 iPad Pro, it’s a different story. I’ve also been trying to get the same notebooks to download offline. The green progress bar will move about this far —— on screen and then won’t progress further. Sometimes , it will progress that far and completely reset as if it has downloaded nothing. I can’t edit or access any of these notes while they are being downloaded. 

Yeah, I switched it all off. It's not usable it seems.

In the past, hundreds of notes downloaded in a few minutes, now the app can't download 26 notes (I aborted after 30 or 40 minutes).

22 hours ago, bounce said:

A very similar behavior here, on my iPad Air 3rd generation. The download progress bar stopped after a tenth of the distance, and there it remains after having the iPad open for two days with screen lock set to off and Evernote in the foreground. No progress, no sign of any activity. Also on my iPhone SE, 1st. gen - exactly the same situation.

Ah, what glorious days, back in time, when i could rely on Evernote on my iOS-devices and access my most important notebooks even when i was without proper network access.

• Level 5

We should keep 2 things apart:

-syncing of notes, up or down that were created, deleted or edited 

- downloading of notes as offline content

Mixing one with the other does just muddle up the water. We expect EN to do the  firefighting right now - we should give good directions about what to fix.

In my case syncing up and down is  working on iPhone and iPad Pro. 

Downloading my offline content has stalled after initial progress. This is reported, and I am waiting for a release that will fix it.

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

We should keep 2 things apart:   
-syncing of notes, up or down that were created, deleted or edited   
- downloading of notes as offline content

3rd thing    
- downloading of notes as offline metadata    
This seems to run quickly, even for entire offline notebooks   

• 1 month later...

I am having the same issue. I recently downloaded the new app on my Mac. It will not sync at all. My notes are syncing perfectly between my phone (older app) and the Web, so I know it is an issue only with the desktop app. Additionally, it is sorting notes using an old structure and old notebook names from several months ago. If I create a note within the desktop app, it syncs to the other devices, but if I create a note on my iPhone or Web, it will not show up at all within the desktop app. Very frustrating.

• 2 months later...

Same version of others problems with the new iOS app. Saved 8 bookmarks from Safari on iOS into Evernote iOS, 2 days later they still are not in the OS app or the web version. I have pulled down to sync, gone into the menu to force sync and always get a "sync complete" notice but the notes never sync elsewhere. Not only that, they continue to show the green indicator in the iOS app indicating they are not synced.

I used to sync large files in seconds on iOS but since the update I can't get a single bookmark to come through. I'm used to bugs with EN at this point but now I'm paying to not have access to my notes across devices?

On 1/7/2021 at 8:21 PM, JMBTX said:

Same version of others problems with the new iOS app. Saved 8 bookmarks from Safari on iOS into Evernote iOS, 2 days later they still are not in the OS app or the web version. I have pulled down to sync, gone into the menu to force sync and always get a "sync complete" notice but the notes never sync elsewhere. Not only that, they continue to show the green indicator in the iOS app indicating they are not synced.

I used to sync large files in seconds on iOS but since the update I can't get a single bookmark to come through. I'm used to bugs with EN at this point but now I'm paying to not have access to my notes across devices?

If they would just add back the 'manual sync' function - people could fix these sync problems themselves. The problem is (I think) is that in a laboratory setting of course the sync is brilliant - but the real world use case is quite diverse and not predicable - there are so many scenarios from: not wanting your device babbling all the time (like if you have nearly no data on your phone and no wifi, or behind a vpn, or in a country that restricts access and you have a small bubble within which to grab and sync your stuff and briefly disable your blockers to force evernote to now sync), or you must sync something from one device to the other and they are sitting in front of you, yet something for an unexplained reason is not working, etc.  A 'manual sync' gives the user the power to control their data in their diverse and unique scenarios. Otherwise there will be constant bug reports that the sync does not work. It does not work, because you cannot possible test the scenarios in the real world - let us the users test for you and let you know how to make the product more robust - but please give us control over our data.

Manual sync may be easy on iOS, the issue is it does not work. Pulling to down and refreshing, notes are still stuck for days. And @robinrobinprobably was referring to, as did I, there is no manual sync in the desktop version of the app any longer.

• Level 5

If you are on EN iOS v10.2 or above, sync should be stable  and frequent.

Do you have a stable internet connection? 

Does it change if you connect by WiFi, mobile data or through a VPN ?

This excluded there may be one or several corrupted notes that makes syncing stall. If this is the case it would never work.

Then it is uninstall the app, dump all data, switch the iPhone or iPad completely off ( some propose a forced restart), on again (Apple logo must show), reinstall, log into your account and let it sync all content.

Else try a support ticket. They seem to be back to reasonable reaction times.

This is not a note or connection issue and it has only begun since the update to the app. My up/down speeds are regularly above 330mbps each and it is not previous notes having the issue, it is any note I add whether it be a photo I add from my camera roll or (multiple) different links from Safari pages. iOS app will say it has synced, even after force syncing by pulling down but notes do not appear on the desktop or web version and still show the green indicator of needing to sync. At times there will be a message bar stating "syncing note 1 of 9 (or a correlating number)" and maybe after 24 hours that changes to 2 0f 9, but even then notes do not actually sync.

• Level 5

The message bar (in black, right on top of the left notes list, I assume) is not about syncing, it is about receiving a shared content. This is about an open import into the app (locally), not about syncing to the server. If it is stuck, the app has a problem with the content in the queue.

If syncing is blocked, there may be one or more corrupted notes in the local data base. They probably are there since pre-10.2, if you never made a full uninstall.

What I would try (and already did twice) is a complete reinstall: Uninstall the app, choose to dump all data, switch the device completely off (to clean out memory), switch on again (Apple logo must show), install the app from the AppStore, log in and wait until it had completed the first sync. This did it for me - there are reports in the forum that needed a forced restart to get it back to normal (if you don’t know how, look up the Apple support document, it depends on the device).

I cleaned it up twice pre-10.2 with this, and since 10.2 it never happened again.

On 1/9/2021 at 6:05 AM, PinkElephant said:

On iOS a manual sync is very easy: Just pull down the left column a little with your finger, and let it go. The sync wheel appears, it rotates, and when it disappears, the sync is done.

Yes and on the ipad also the sync is there:  Settings --> Sync -> Sync now

• Like 1