nonenone

Idea

52 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

We need access to email a copy of notes
This feature was removed with the v10.0 version

• Like 5
  • Evernote Staff*

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. You're right; we have taken this feature out of the new release. The thinking is that the "invite someone" affordance accomplishes the same thing because it emails the note.

Would you love your feedback on how "invite someone" does/doesn't meet your needs.

For what it's worth, our new design is pretty similar to Google docs (they also don't have a separate "email a copy" button.)

• Confused 2
  • Level 5

@Jack Lynch Thanks for responding to this issue.

If I invite someone, it means he needs a (basic) Account to access the Note - correct ? Or he uses a browser to access the note by the link ?

Could you tell a little about what Happens on the recipients side to receive the information I want to send him ?

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Jack Lynch said:

The thinking is that the "invite someone" affordance accomplishes the same thing because it emails the note.

No, this doesn't "accomplish the same thing"   
- "Invite someone" sends a public/private website link to the note
- email a note copy sends the actual note

• Like 4
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

@Jack Lynch Thanks for responding to this issue.

If I invite someone, it means he needs a (basic) Account to access the Note - correct ? Or he uses a browser to access the note by the link ?

Could you tell a little about what Happens on the recipients side to receive the information I want to send him ?

Just to make sure it is on record: I have asked first 😉

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Jack Lynch said:

Can you elaborate on your use case for the 2 sharing methods? I’d like to better understand your workflow.

This is what I intend the recipient to receive in the email754605414_ScreenShot2020-09-24at3_02_11PM.png.520d6483071cde7c058bfab4125c22e0.png
They may not be an Evernote user

With invite someone, I see two options

Evernote User    

992284195_ScreenShot2020-09-24at2_25_25PM.png.39b40f7fdf12bb1d55fdf6542c9eedfe.png

Non-Evernote User

904480368_ScreenShot2020-09-24at3_09_45PM.png.c5f7c686a700832e9a02cf017c02a402.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Evernote Staff*

DTLow and PinkElephant: I hear you. Usage of "email a copy" was very low, which is why we prioritized cleaning up other aspects of the sharing experience for the new clients. That said, I understand why you need it, and I'm adding it to the roadmap.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5

@Jack Lynch O.K., Just to explain my reason: Some people we share with work in an enterprise environment, behind firewalls and with all sort of restrictions. They have problems to open stuff, they can’t install things on their computers - but all of them can receive a plain E-Mail.

So the ability to send out a note by this way is important - if you look at it from the recipients view.

By the way, this is one reason we need to print as well. Printing means you can produce a pdf from any content, and exchange this as an universally understood file format. So beside the E-Mail-Feature, I would appreciate if you put „Printing option“ on the backlog as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Please bring the e-mail a copy of the actual note back, I mean the desktop version still supports it, please don't remove it, please. I can't tell you how much time I am loosing just because we do not have this feature. Productivity in Evernote is one of the moats of this software and that e-mail note function, really helps with reporting to all sorts of people.

• Level 5*
On 9/24/2020 at 3:05 PM, Jack Lynch said:

For what it's worth, our new design is pretty similar to Google docs (they also don't have a separate "email a copy" button.)

And that makes it somehow better???  😳

I did not use the function often but valued it when I did, FWIW. 

• Level 5*
On 9/25/2020 at 10:03 AM, Jack Lynch said:

DTLow and PinkElephant: I hear you. Usage of "email a copy" was very low, which is why we prioritized cleaning up other aspects of the sharing experience for the new clients. That said, I understand why you need it, and I'm adding it to the roadmap.

Thanks, I just want clear disclosure when features get dropped

I'm not even sure i's a priority to use Evernote's email servers    
Users can copy/paste into their own email services

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
17 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Users can copy/paste into their own email services

Downside is that with all the other dropped functionality that's been dropped it's just another rock moved from EN's pack to the user's pack.  Well maybe this is more of a stone but at some point the pack gets too heavy to carry on an individual user basis.

I'm sharing 15-20 meeting notes a week with global colleagues via e-mail over the last 4 years.

It is very important for my personal administration. I could not believe my eyes this morning when is was out. 😲

Luckily I could switch back to the previous version.

-> Please restore  -share via e-mail- functionality ASAP in new versions as soon as possible. 👍

or at least as long as I can use the previous version.  Otherwise I have to find another solution & I don't want that!

• Like 3

@Jack Lynchan email copy of a note can also be a „snapshot“ of a certain state of a note without granting continuous access to that note - I‘m using this often to send out e. g. a meeting note and then add addt‘l comments just for my eyes. 

• Like 1
On 9/24/2020 at 10:05 PM, Jack Lynch said:

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. You're right; we have taken this feature out of the new release. The thinking is that the "invite someone" affordance accomplishes the same thing because it emails the note.

Would you love your feedback on how "invite someone" does/doesn't meet your needs.

Hi Jack, I cannot force everybody that I send an e-mail copy to, to take an evernote account. Just leaving out this essential functionality for paying customers that rely on it for years, is not the kind customer focus that is going to make Evernote successful. My employer offers me Onenote as part of office, but I've sticked to Evernote. Don't push me (and many others) out with strategies that have customer satisfaction way down the priority list.   

• Like 2

Just today, I needed to send notes through e-mail. I collected them on my phone, the app seems a bit slower and sometimes blows out the screen, but you know that really is not so much of a problem. Then I had to go to a desktop to use the installed evernote to mail the notes, it just wastes time, a simple function like this. Please bring it back.

Isn't it enough I lost the 3D touch function on the Evernote app in iOS? That made quick note taking so easy, but ok, I can do without that. However when productivity is hindered, really it's not what Evernote is about.

• Like 1

Sharing a link is NOT the same as emailing a note.  I would use this multiple times a day.  Evernote is suppose to make your life easier not harder.  Will this feature be brought back?  Can I get the old version back?  Does anyone on this discussion suggest another platform where it is available?  Too bad I was a huge advocate of Evernotes...but not now.

• Like 2
  • Evernote Staff*

Thanks for all the input folks. I read you loud and clear. Like I said on 9/25 at 10:03am (see above):

That said, I understand why you need it, and I'm adding it to the roadmap.

• Like 4

Emailing copies of notes with all the attachments has become an integral part of the workflow between myself and a group of other users for years!!! There is nothing to replace this essential feature.

I am pleased that you have added the copy email function to the 'Roadmap' but this is a bit like saying sorry I broke your car by removing 6th gear, ive put it on the list for a fix someday. It is unsatisfactory. We need this function today! 

To simply take away fundamental features with no warning and no alternative is beyond belief. We buy into this service BECAUSE OF the existing features at the time we decide to commit. Already this update has cost myself and others many hours of frustration and we are of course now considering alternatives. This practice of releasing updates and stripping features which may or may not be restored over time has been going on for years with Evernote. It completely destroys confidence in the software. It is a hazardous company to buy into! What's next to go ? That's been the constant worry and the reason for seeking alternative products. It is not safe to build a workflow around a product where the development culture appears so blase. 

As a matter of urgency, please make available all legacy versions until you have a properly formed product. That is damage limitation at least. 

• Like 2

I track all my surgical cases in Evernote and have for years.  It is a great data base with search capabilities.  I then forward by email my information to my office for billing.  Please bring back the ability to email notes on the Mac version.  Both the mobile app and the desktop app seem like a step back in time.  Hope you will restore email capability soon.

Thanks,

Steve Weinstein

• Like 1

The short term solution: quickly switching back to the previous version. That still has this (for many) essential send email copy functionality.

Who ever thought / decided "cleaning up"  this would help Evernote, probably skipped customer satisfaction in the trade-off. 

I'll try & live with the new interface, as soon as the send e-mail copy is back, not before. If it is not restored, and the old version disabled, I'll switch to Onenote. 

I'll not learn to live without it. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
39 minutes ago, kees_burger said:

The short term solution: quickly switching back to the previous version.

Can you provide details on how to do this in IOS
Switching to the legacy version is easy on Mac and Windows

@Jack Lynch +1 to the list of frustrated users. I am with Evernote since 2008! This feature is essential! As I keep a lot of useful tips and saved stuff in my Evernote being able to share it with colleagues and friends is one of the key features for me. Not everyone is using Evernote and as other users said my corporate contacts are behind some kind of firewall and can’t access the Evernote link. 
Almost all apps on iOS allow the sharing feature of iOS to share content on all channels. It surely doesn’t add to the user base of Evernote to block features like these. 
Thanks for putting this high priority on your roadmap. 

Another disappointed user that “sharing a note by email” has been dropped. This feature was essential in the way I share my work notes with clients.

I truly hope Evernote will restore this functionality (not just “put it on the road map”) ASAP.

In the meantime, I have removed version 10 and downgraded to the “old” version.

Tim

Edited by Treebreeder
Spelling
  • Like 1

Emailing notes directly from Evernote was my primary workflow. Now I am unable to do so. Sharing a link is not the same as sending the actual note. If I can no longer email a note from Evernote I am going to cancel my premium account. Can you please tell me if this ability is going to be restored before I make a decision to cancel 

I'm upset that I can no longer email notes directly from Evernote. Sending a link is not the same as sending the actual note. Emailing notes from Evernote was essential for my workflow. If I can no longer email notes from Evernote I will have to cancel my premium service. Please let me know if there are any plans to restore this service so that I can make a decision whether to keep my service. 

• Like 1
On 9/18/2020 at 12:45 AM, nonenone said:

I frequently email my notes. Not share the link to my notes, but email my complete note. That feature had already been eliminated from the web version of Evernote, and it has now disappeared from the new iOS version. Is that a bug? Emailing notes is an important part of my work process, and if Evernote is going to eliminate that feature and rely exclusively on sharing notes, then I’ll have to reconsider whether I want to remain a paying customer, after many years of doing so (since May 2010, according to my profile).

Of course, this is on top of other issues with the new version of Evernote for iOS, including the formatting bugs, the elimination of the last used notebooks, the three colorful and “helpful” buttons for upgrade (bright yellow), edit (bright blue), and new note (bright green) (more distracting than anything helpful), the difficulties selecting a note (touching it on the left-hand side menu and not being selected). Going for a more “modern” look at the expense of functionality doesn’t seem to be a great move...

I feel exactly the same with regards to the problem of emailing notes.  If this functionality is really gone, than I'm switching to OneNote (after having been a Premium Member since 2012). 

• Like 1
  • Evernote Staff*

Not from me, but someone else on the team might have more info for you. I'll ask our community manager if there is another thread on the forums where we're providing more info about that. 

• Thanks 1
On 9/24/2020 at 9:05 PM, Jack Lynch said:

Often, I will take notes either for a meeting or for sharing ideas. I will pass these around (different companies and possibly timezones) My recipients like receiving an email they can read without having to follow a link set up an account etc. Business users tend to just keep emails form people as a "file" copy. Incidentally some of my recipients liked what they received and this led them to get Evernote accounts as this feature was valued by them also as it meant they could keep notes in one place but share easily without any expectation placed on the recipient. I feel onenote is an inferior product but will be easier platform to share notes etc. This feature was kind of the key to making the most of evernote. Hopefully this helps

• Like 2

I share many of the criticism of the bad UX of the new version, although I have to admit I have to play with it a bit more. However there is a missing feature that could make me quit Evernote after many years: the impossibility to send the note by e-mail to people that do not use Evernote. I cannot force colleagues that do not use Evernote to have to register o download an app to be able to see a document I send them. For this, I was using a lot the "send by e-mail" option (that was already quite hidden in the menu). They took out this possibility and if it does not come back I will quit Evernote. I'm using a lot to edit content that I later share with other people be e-mail and if I cannot do this anymore this is a show stopper.

I work on a team for a mental health agency and Evernote has been my way of keeping track of my work outside of the office's rather clunky internal system. Emailing a copy of the note has been a godsend to me since, sadly, may of my coworkers do not have any organizational system and will mostly likely not even register for an account. Giving no warning is very frustrating since I used that featured very often. 

For the most part, I can get around it with copy/pasting into an email, however sharing notes with pictures/graphs is a pain now.

• Like 1

Removing the feature of "email a copy" is a COMPLETE FAILURE on Evernote's part.  I have been using this program for over 10 years, and EVERY DAY I must use this feature to send my manager daily notes so he can do his billing to clients.  I don't want to cut and paste them into an email, another waste of time.

I just installed the update today to 10.3.7 and it's a nightmare.  Too many weird things happening and the way it's organized is HORRIBLE

If the email feature is not restored in the next update, I will have to find another program to use.   And don't tell me to use the SHARE feature, I don't want someone to have access to my entire folder.  They need it on email so they can forward it to their accounting manager.

• Like 3

I agree please restore this function ASAP. I have paid for Evernote for many years and relied on email a copy. I do not want to share links or market Evernote products. 

Today I wasted an hour trying to send a copies of notes to my husband and failed. He only received links that tried to have him create an account. That is unacceptable. 

As for the excuse comparing EN to Google, I did not buy Google. 

The updates have been a complete disaster. Please restore Or warn customers what functions they will lose before pushing out your updates. 

• Like 1

Hi don't mean to pile on here but emailing the full contents of the note is a must-have feature for me as well.  I'm adding my voice to the mix because the question was asked why and we use such a feature. 

1) Most importantly, my workplace blocks all web based applications (including cloud email). It's the only way i can get content from Evernote to my work environment

2) One of the reasons I send so much content from Evernote to work is I use Evernote web clipper as a way of saving a web page -- e.g. a newspaper article -- that i may want for work purposes. Web Clipper does a decent job of stripping out all the noise and garbage on HTML pages and saving them in simplified format. That's invaluable to me. So i strip down a web page and save it, then send the note via email to work. It's also nice to have a searchable archived version of the article in Evernote.

3) Finally, the point was made that use of the feature was relatively low. Let me posit a few possible explanations for this: for as long as i can recall, the feature was available only on windows fat client version.  Not on Mac version. Not on browser-based version.  In addition, the feature was relatively hard to find.  My view is that software designers should focus on designing products as useful as possible  to customers rather than keeping them trapped within a closed ecosystem. 

2 hours ago, Lynn Lowery said:

is there a way to switch back to the older version. Either on Web side or iOS side?

I am now using Legacy on my Mac and it works fine. I dont think they have a download of the previous version.

Otherwise you can use the browser version, which I dont like much.  I can still send by email on my Android.

But its one big thing they should have discussed with users before removing it. Even though they say a small percentage use it. But its critical to those of us that do.