iPad: Magic Keyboard Support

SteveJazz

Idea

The Dev team should test the new software with an iPad leveraging the Magic Keyboard. I see a few unusual behaviors. The main one is that using the trackpad to highlight text doesn’t work well. If you click the pointer in front of a line of text, then hold your finger on the keyboard to grab the full line (left to write), this causes the entire window to move to the previous window (as if the user had selected the back arrow in the upper left hand corner). For me, this is not helpful behavior. I want to use the keyboard and mouse, and have them work as they do through out the entire system. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 replies to this idea

There are numerous features missing in the current implementation, and some that are just glitchy.

1. There are no keyboard shortcuts for key features like:

• Changing heading types, even though they are now standardized. Changing to a header font requires 5 keystrokes before you can resume typing. Not really an improvement. 
  • Moving an item up and down in a list. 

2.  Selecting text or just moving the cursor about is very imprecise.  I move the cursor to a spot and tap the touchpad and sometimes the cursor ends up a line above or below.  

• Level 5

EN is still not really up to things introduced with iOS 13, like keyboard and trackpad support. For a long time there even was no split mode. It is now implemented, but you currently can’t drag and drop fotos or files, only text. Pencil support is as well very basic. You can’t open the app in split  ode twice, which would enable to move things from one note to another, or even use the content of 2 notes at the same time (one screen for researching notes, the other for editing).

A lot of room for improvement.

This is a user forum. EN staff may show up,  it to place things, better issue a support ticket.

Agreed on Magic Keyboard support. I recall that the following functionality was present in the previous version but is now missing:

• Command N creates a new note in the current notebook in the old but not current version
  • Drag and drop of photos in split screen no longer works. I used this daily but it now seems to do nothing
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Just was informed by support that the keyboard shortcuts are not part of the first release of EN iOS 10, and that they will be added in a future version.

Thanks for information PinkElephant. Disappointing.  They did all of the hard work and difficult coding to create the new interface, and then left out the easy coding necessary to make it easily accessible and therefore useful.  They described the whole point of this release as an “improved editor.”   By my count it used to take about three keystrokes/taps to change fonts to make a header, now it takes 5.  ( In Apple Notes or Bear or even OneNote, it takes 1 or 2).  Being able to format quickly and capture ideas is the fundamental mission of a notes app.  By that measure, this is not a big step forward— although it does look very nice. 

Another example:  being able to move a bullet up and down in an outline, key to pulling ideas quickly, is fundamentally easily in Apple Notes, Bear, and OneNote.  In Evernote it is virtually impossible.   I would have taken these very basic shortcuts that assist in actually creating and editing notes over the “beautiful” notes editor which looks great, but does nothing to help me capture ideas.  

BTW, Pencil support in the new version isn’t just very basic,  it is fundamentally broken (a topic for a different thread). 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Yes, and the list continues.

On the other hand there are features long requested and now build into the new release.

For me, at the moment the app is usable, but not a leap forward, and no reason to choose EN if you are not already using it. I hope that EN does what management promised: Adding missing and maybe some more new functions fast.

• Like 1

+1

please add some more support for Trackpad (e. g. two finger swipe in notes list to delete an entry like Apple Mail does)

@Shane D.and there is no way to delete a note using Magic Keyboard because it‘s not possible to scroll through the menu after pressing the three dots to reach item „delete note“ at the bottom (scrolling using two finger gesture is not supported, I‘ve to touch the screen instead) - **Update: there is a small handle to extend the menu using Trackpad + hold + move to reach the menu item

Looking into purchasing the new iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard and need it to work well with EN. Does anybody have an update as to whether the Magic Keyboard is better supported now? Last post on this thread was March, 2021. It's November, 2022 now.

• Level 5

EN still does not support device specific features, including many special abilities found on iPads.

For me the largest shortcoming is still no multitasking support. EN can only be opened once, not in parallel App sessions. This means working is restricted to one single note at a time.