Business card scanning and saving to contacts

JHE

Idea

30 replies to this idea

• Level 5

It is in general working: Hit the up arrow right beside the new note text on the green button.

Select scan document. When it detects a business card, it switches into that mode. Or you can switch it yourself after scanning.

If in a note already, hit edit, then the blue + to the left, above the keyboard. Select camera, scan, it selects or let you select business cards.

The downside: It will try to find name, phone and e-Mail, and put it into fields in the note with the card. But it will not export it into contacts.

It's a bad change that business cards can no longer be exported to contacts. This used to be possible. Is it still possible? If not, this is a huge loss, and makes entering business cards into Evernote all but pointless. Evernote is not, and will never be the primary way I manage contacts.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

When I tried early in the process, I found no easy way to export from the fields with extracted information.

Then I did not follow up, because I use a special app (CamCard) to scan business cards and move the information to contacts. I don’t feel that EN is really good on this, especially if you get business cards from a roaster of European countries, all with their own conventions about how a business card should look, different coding systems for addresses etc. In CamCard I can sort a Stack of cards by country, select the country in presets, scan and have a good chance that local properties will reflect, up to the language settings. Then I move on to the next country, reset settings, and so on.

It works great as well when you only have one setting, and just scan ahead. With a paid version you can even sync to Outlook, Google and Salesforce.

• Level 5

Card scanning is available. It recognized a business card, will extract some information from the scanned card, and save it into the note with the new contact information.

It just won’t export to contacts at the moment.

So you can debate whether the glass is half full or half empty.

On 9/17/2020 at 6:57 PM, JHE said:

Hi,

How to define default notebook / tag for scanned business cards? 
How to make them be automatically saved into Contacts?

BTW: nice look. 
J. 

Thanks for posting this, this is exactly what existed and now gone (with no idea why). I need them back, also plus "Option to automatically send hello email to scanned namecard"

I was just about to get a subscription with CamCard and a friend said Evernote has a good scanning card option which links to Linkedin with same features as Camcard in gathering all the tel/address/email details and you can add notes like where you met the person etc. So today I just paid for whole year upgrading to Premium and name card just scans but not saving it in the business card directory. Or recognizing any details. I hope I'm doing something wrong as will be really upset if cant use this function as I have thousands of name cards want to keep in 1 place with searchable tag functions to put them in different categories like media/finance/property etc. Can someone help me or do I have to apply for a refund and use another app as spent 5 hrs today and still cant find answer. Using newer Samsung Android and PC. M

On 2/20/2021 at 2:22 AM, scanMike said:

I was just about to get a subscription with CamCard and a friend said Evernote has a good scanning card option which links to Linkedin with same features as Camcard in gathering all the tel/address/email details and you can add notes like where you met the person etc. So today I just paid for whole year upgrading to Premium and name card just scans but not saving it in the business card directory. Or recognizing any details. I hope I'm doing something wrong as will be really upset if cant use this function as I have thousands of name cards want to keep in 1 place with searchable tag functions to put them in different categories like media/finance/property etc. Can someone help me or do I have to apply for a refund and use another app as spent 5 hrs today and still cant find answer. Using newer Samsung Android and PC. M

Unfortunately the Linked in partnership was terminated by LinkedIn a while back. 

• Level 5

I wonder whether your friend will refund you ....

With EN, you may try by a support ticket. If you subscribed through the Apple AppStore, you can cancel your subscription there within 14 days without a problem.

• Like 1
On 2/13/2021 at 5:21 PM, DannySands said:

Scanning and doing OCR on business cards and then syncing to Contacts on my iOS device was a terrific feature. I hope it's slated to be coming back.

It never should have disappeared!!

• Like 3

Evernote is always working on new improvements but the "user pain" from removing "save to contacts" is huge for everyone and this feature needs to be prioritized to the top of the development stack. Amazon listens first to their "customer concerns" and it has worked well for them. Customers are screaming for this to be reinstated and are feeling cheated with it removed during their subscriptions. Please fix this soon and send out a notice of when you plan to have it working again to assuage the anxiety. 

For those currently lamenting like me, note that you can keep scanning cards in EN and when the "save to contacts" returns, go back and send all those cards over to your contacts. No-one wants to be forced to subscribe to yet another App just to accomplish what EN used to do so well. 

• Like 1

I have been a premium Evernote subscriber for 10 years. I am very upset about the removal of business card scanning to contacts. EN sends lots of messages indicating additions and improvements regarding features. I certainly don’t recall ever receiving one indicating that this important feature was removed. Business card scanning to contacts should be prioritized. 

Been premium with Evernote since 2010 and can't help but feel we are going backwards, losing the ability to insert a business card into contacts is just one more example, wouldn't mind if it was free but I'm struggling to see why I would continue paying

hv been a Evernote user since 2011 & upgraded to Premium years before.  Hv used the scanning feature of Biz Cards with an option to add this to Phone contacts which was helpful.  I find this is not happening anymore & many others are complaining about this feature withdrawn suddenly.  Can Evernote please confirm when this would be available again?  Pls consider this a priority!

Agreed it's a pretty terrible change, after 10 years on my end as a premium user as well, it's getting harder to support staying with it...except for the fact that there isn't a great alternative.

Regardless, I had the same issue today and found a workaround which is to copy/paste the contact into Cardhop from Flexibits (also creator of Fantastical). Cardhop has long been my go-to for importing eSignatures into contacts, and now Evernote's scanning feature pretty much results in something equivalent to an eSignature. Works well in my tests and the Flexibits content is worth it on its own.

I’m also still waiting the function to save business cards to iOS contacts. It is the only reason I have a premium subscription.

Please let me know if EN has intention to make this function available again? Or I need to consider other way to do this… 😢

• Level 5

It saves currently to EN , and that is it for the moment. No roadmap if and when the sync to iOS contacts will be restored.

Since the mobile apps are digital twins, EN will probably take some time to release it, because it needs to integrate on Android as well.

• Sad 2