Annotate PDFs: no zoom in / out possible

stocky2605

Idea

50 replies to this idea

Just opened evernote on my ipad after a while and the fact I can no longer zoom in my pdf to read them AND annotate them at the same time makes the app almost useless to me...please, please, please, restore the functions we had before this update.

• Like 6

This is one of the features I moved to premium. It's really important because it allows me to be effective at doing research. It allows me to keep everything within a single application and it allows me to work from any device. In my perspective not have the annotations feature working as it used to hurts Evernote, the power users requiring this feature will have a bad taste, while others will simply move to another app 🙁. It really would be nice seeing coming back...and why not maybe even improved in some other regards --like having sticky notes available.

Same here, just switched from Onenote as it is a terrible software to discover I can't annotate while zoom on PDF. I use to download PDF books/manuals and then studying writing notes and highlighting the bits I need, like a real book. Evernote is useless as it is for me, and I have just paid for one year :(

On 1/28/2021 at 7:25 PM, Vanessa_Wien said:

Just opened evernote on my ipad after a while and the fact I can no longer zoom in my pdf to read them AND annotate them at the same time makes the app almost useless to me...please, please, please, restore the functions we had before this update.

Same here, evernote please!

• Like 3
On 1/29/2021 at 12:25 AM, Vanessa_Wien said:

I agree.  pdf annotate on iPad is now useless.

• Like 2

Any progress in this case? Without this PDF zoom feature this is totally useless for me and my colleagues.

We can't set notes on floor plan PDF's when it's tiny and you are not able to make it any bigger.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, stocky2605 said:

Vote! Vote! Vote! Vote!  🤪

(using the arrow up at the top of this thread)

I would be happy to if I thought it made any difference in Evernote’s development priorities. 🙂

Sorry, don't agree. The control-roll zoom feature works with a PDF. However, you can not zoom back in on the notes. It's a bug. 

The workaround, listed by someone else, was to drag in a new PDF, and then zoom in on that. I found that if I deleted that particular note, the text in all my other notes became microfiche again. It's a bug.

• Confused 1
  • Level 5

First we are here in the iOS subforum. Control-roll zoom means what on my iPhone? I pinch to zoom.

Second I can zoom when watching a pdf. I can’t zoom when the pdf is opened in annotation mode. This is the title of this thread, and I am not aware of a change. 

Current version is EN iOS 10.10 on iOS 14.6.

• Thanks 1

Version 10.15.6 for Mac.

I used to right click pdfs and use zoom out to scale them within the notes.  This is now not available.  Is this the feature people here are complaining is missing?  Can we have it back please?  Or is there a workaround?  It's difficult to read the text associated with each image.

It actually works on the iPad if you reduce the screen size to iPhone size! Open Evernote side-by-side with another app and give it just a third of the screen width. Voilà, the two-finger-gesture suddenly works! They just need to fix the bug, so it works with bigger screen sizes as well. But as no Evernote staff is monitoring these postings here, they probably will not even put it in the "bugs to fix" list.

• Thanks 1

The PDF zoom feature on Android devices  was excellent and satisfying until about 6 months ago.

How come, it was changed to be useless now and never been fixed ever since!! I won't renew my subscription until this is fixed

A workaround for users meanwhile: I am downloading the PDFs from Evernote and open them from the Download section of my Android devices via Acrobat Reader. 

• Like 1

I recently submitted a support ticket for this and here is the response I got:

I love that they are “still considering” whether or not to add this feature. If you have the time I recommend you submit a support ticket. If enough customers have support tickets they might do something about it. 

1DB5161F-4D14-4ED3-B116-717C9E4D3C19.jpeg

12 minutes ago, dudeman313 said:

I love that they are “still considering” whether or not to add this feature. If you have the time I recommend you submit a support ticket. If enough customers have support tickets they might do something about it. 

I did this before and got the same answer.

This is especially strange as the actual PDF editor is the same as in the desktop versions - minus the "+"/"-" buttons for zooming. It should be very simple to just add these in the mobile versions as well. Or add a "turn off" switch for the edit buttons, so that the two finger zoom gesture would work.

Works fine on iPhone. It’s specifically iPad that has this issue. 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

This is a standard answer (from the EN support text block book) that means „No idea, but we may consider it“.

AFAIK desktops and mobiles run on different „frameworks“. This means that in fact features need to be (re)implemented.

27 minutes ago, dudeman313 said:

Works fine on iPhone. It’s specifically iPad that has this issue. 🤷‍♂️

You are right! I am pretty sure this is new. So they did "fix it", but again messed it up on iPads. 😔 I would even say that it could be considered a bug now.

On 2/18/2022 at 9:35 AM, gewappnet said:

It actually works on the iPad if you reduce the screen size to iPhone size! Open Evernote side-by-side with another app and give it just a third of the screen width. Voilà, the two-finger-gesture suddenly works! They just need to fix the bug, so it works with bigger screen sizes as well. But as no Evernote staff is monitoring these postings here, they probably will not even put it in the "bugs to fix" list.

Wow! That’s helpful. It’s a workaround for now. Thanks for that. Evernote still needs to fix this because this confirms it’s a bug.

Also, once you zoom in the side-by-side view it continues to work in full view until you exit the annotation view. Try it it works! 

Start Evernote side-by-side with another app at a third screen width. Open your PDF annotation. Zoom. Slide the middle divider all the way over to make Evernote full screen. It works! 

Stops working if you exit the PDF.

41 minutes ago, dudeman313 said:

Wow! That’s helpful. It’s a workaround for now. Thanks for that. Evernote still needs to fix this because this confirms it’s a bug.

Also, once you zoom in the side-by-side view it continues to work in full view until you exit the annotation view. Try it it works! 

Yes, I noticed this as well. But the quality is very bad (pixelated) when you zoom in.

I wrote this to the support and they answered: "I just want to clarify that this is not a bug and please know that we are still working on adding the zoom-in feature on a PDF file while annotating on the iPad app". Obviously they did not understand my description, of course it is a bug. At least they say that they are working on it.

• Level 5

Pixelation zoomed in on the iPad is not worse than on the iPhone. I think it is a result of the annotation working on the picture layer of the pdf, not the text layer.

If this is the case, it is not a bug - although I would hardly call it a feature either.

In general the EN annotation tool is several years old, derived from the toolset that EN bought when they purchased the Skitch app years ago. It was build for marking up, not for real pdf editing.

My dream team in this respect is the integration with MacOS Preview that v10 offers on the Mac. 

8 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

My dream team in this respect is the integration with MacOS Preview that v10 offers on the Mac. 

This integration is actually just saving the PDF in a local Evernote path and opening the default PDF program (not necessarily Preview). All changes in the file are then updated in the note. The iOS/iPadOS app already saves the PDF file in a folder "Evernote" on iCloud Drive if you click on the download button in Evernote. They could just do it exactly like in macOS. Same with Office files. But it would be better to use "On my iPhone/iPad" as path and not iCloud Drive.

• Level 5

There is nothing similar to Preview on iOS. On my iPad I have PDF Expert installed, a full pdf editor. But there isn’t a way to link it and have any changes saved back to the original file.

On the Mac I am not aware the app that is called by the „Open“ command could be changed.

However, for the Mac it is all that I need to completely skip the internal annotation option.

Today's update didn't change anything. But I found another workaround:

If a keyboard is connected to your iPad (like the Magic Keyboard) you can zoom in the PDF via keyboard. After entering the editing mode tap somewhere on the document. This will create a pink arrow, but you could undo it. Then you can zoom in and out with Command+"+" and Command+"-" (on the English keyboard, otherwise the two keys on your local keyboard left of the Delete/Backspace key). You can change the view with the cursor keys (+Shift for bigger movements).

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Thanks for posting. I tried on a Logitech keyboard connected by the smart connectors with my iPad Pro 10.5.

No zooming found, however. Maybe it only works with some keyboards, not with others.

Important is the first step: Tapping in the document. The keyboard shotcuts for zooming (on a German keyboard cmd+ß and cmd+´) will only work after that.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The very first tap already inserts an element, in my case a red arrow. This is why I did not continue.

But if I ignore it, you are right: It does zoom in and out. Just need to remove that arrow then, but this is small coin compared to be able to zoom.

Nice one !

6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

But if I ignore it, you are right: It does zoom in and out. Just need to remove that arrow then, but this is small coin compared to be able to zoom.

As I said, just immediately undo the red arrow by tapping on the undo icon or pressing cmd+z.

Both workarounds show that zooming is already built-in, they just need to enable it.

• Level 5
29 minutes ago, gewappnet said:

Both workarounds show that zooming is already built-in, they just need to enable it.

As I interpret this little experiment the problem is something else: For annotation EN overlays the original pdf with an invisible layer to hold the annotations.

When trying to pinch to zoom, you are only zooming this layer. The keyboard as an OS function reaches „behind“ it to the document itself.

Because the annotation tools are still these aged tools we know from Skitch, there is probably more to do than flip a bit that says „enable zooming“

Just my 5ct …

If it is this or really just a zooming bit: We agree that without a real interactive zoom the pdf annotation is only a brute force operation, useless for any detailed work on a pdf.

1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

As I interpret this little experiment the problem is something else: For annotation EN overlays the original pdf with an invisible layer to hold the annotations.

When trying to pinch to zoom, you are only zooming this layer. The keyboard as an OS function reaches „behind“ it to the document itself.

Because the annotation tools are still these aged tools we know from Skitch, there is probably more to do than flip a bit that says „enable zooming“

Just my 5ct …

But then again it just works on the iPhone or on the iPad if the viewport is smaller than the page (workaround 1). I actually think it would just be kind of flipping a bit that says "enable zooming". My guess is that the implementation of the mobile version of v10 was done without thinking about bigger screens or even testing it on bigger tablets. And now they don't want to touch the code of this functionality anymore. Maybe the Skitch programmer is no longer around.

• Level 5

May be - it seems they discovered that there are tablets recently, and tried this new found insight on the Home Screen first.

So there is a sliver of hope on the horizon for iPad users 🌄.

Skitch is practically dead, last updated years ago, just living on by its own gravity, it seems.

On 3/9/2022 at 12:27 AM, gewappnet said:

But then again it just works on the iPhone or on the iPad if the viewport is smaller than the page (workaround 1). I actually think it would just be kind of flipping a bit that says "enable zooming". My guess is that the implementation of the mobile version of v10 was done without thinking about bigger screens or even testing it on bigger tablets. And now they don't want to touch the code of this functionality anymore. Maybe the Skitch programmer is no longer around.

Hi it’s 2023. Still not fixed. And now making the Evernote window smaller workaround doesn’t work anymore. We are back to where we started.