Bugs on version 10 of iOS

I think I have gone through the threads here, and try to report some bugs I saw especially what others haven't yet mentioned.

• I can't open the attachment. The attachment bar only shows "Loading..." and at the same time I can't scroll through the same note.
  • On Dark Mode
    • Screen flickers twice (whole white) before opening each note. It happens on my iPad Pro (10.5-inch, 2017) and does not happen on my iPhone X.
    • When clear formatting of internal note links, they become blue colour same as web link instead (No problems on light mode).
  • Unnecessary space between the heading of Shortcuts and the shortcuts (see the attachment).
  • Sometimes it's not easy to swipe back to note list from the note.

Looking forward to the continuously improving versions. And thanks for the update!

IMG_082C8C9878DA-1.jpeg.e451c16e145231ecaa5ad23c4372aad3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Ex Employees

Hello all, thanks so much for taking the time to report this. It's immensely helpful. 

• @Alvin C, thanks for the detailed list. We'll look into these. 
  • The issue with a blank space in the left sidebar is a known issue - we are actively investigating and hope to find a fix soon. 

Hi everyone,

I also am sad to report this a very disappointing and buggy release. Here's the sad list of woe:

• My notes won't sync properly (notes that show happily in my Mac version and the web version do not show up in the iOS app) - this is the number one thing Evernote cannot afford to get wrong. Use of this system is built on trust that all notes will be the same on all devices (syncing properly) - when this doesn't happen, it seriously erodes trust
  • When syncing happens, it is crazy slow
  • Interactions are clumsy - for example, you slide a note to show the delete option, but if you change your mind and try to slide the note back (i.e. left swipe) it swipes the whole notes page, not just the note you are interacting with
  • Notebooks not showing
  • Everything slow
  • As others mentioned have mentioned, the little note that pops up when you use the Share Sheet on iPhone/iPad ('it'll take time to sync') is crazy annoying.

All in all, a release that was meant to generate new excitement for the Evernote platform has done the opposite. I much prefer the old version, poor as it was - at least it mainly worked.

One step closer to saying F*CK IT and just moving all in to Apple Notes, at least that is native to the platforms I'm using and always syncs without bother. In fact, if it wasn't for Evernote's 'web clipper' tool, I'd leave the service pretty quickly.

Must do much, much better.

A tired, disgruntled customer

Stu

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

SHARESHEET IN MOBILE SAFARI NOT SAVING TO EVERNOTE

I'm also finding when I share a webpage from  mobile safari on iOS to Evernote (using the Share Share to Evernote), currently most of the time the page doesn't actually get sent to Evernote - it just doesn't appear. This is so lousy. Guys, you cannot release an app that fails on these most basic of things. Really disappointed here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
21 小時前, stu_ck說:

Hi everyone,

I also am sad to report this a very disappointing and buggy release. Here's the sad list of woe:

• My notes won't sync properly (notes that show happily in my Mac version and the web version do not show up in the iOS app) - this is the number one thing Evernote cannot afford to get wrong. Use of this system is built on trust that all notes will be the same on all devices (syncing properly) - when this doesn't happen, it seriously erodes trust
  • When syncing happens, it is crazy slow
  • Interactions are clumsy - for example, you slide a note to show the delete option, but if you change your mind and try to slide the note back (i.e. left swipe) it swipes the whole notes page, not just the note you are interacting with
  • Notebooks not showing
  • Everything slow
  • As others mentioned have mentioned, the little note that pops up when you use the Share Sheet on iPhone/iPad ('it'll take time to sync') is crazy annoying.

All in all, a release that was meant to generate new excitement for the Evernote platform has done the opposite. I much prefer the old version, poor as it was - at least it mainly worked.

One step closer to saying F*CK IT and just moving all in to Apple Notes, at least that is native to the platforms I'm using and always syncs without bother. In fact, if it wasn't for Evernote's 'web clipper' tool, I'd leave the service pretty quickly.

Must do much, much better.

A tired, disgruntled customer

Stu

A few days ago I couldn't update my notes. I made changes several times and the app does not save my newer versions.

We actually have been waiting for more than a year for a more reliable, better version, as they said on YouTube. They also had beta versions for some members. But after the beta, it becomes another iOS 11 Public Beta 1 in which you find even basic charging is not functioning (happened on my iPhone 5s at that time).

I expect in this case, Evernote should have v10.0.1 and even v10.0.2 within these three days since v10.0, like what other app developers did. However, nothing has been done yet. Users have to switch to the stable MacOS/Windows/Android for the long time.

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, Lesicaire said:

One  more bug to add to the list: clipping on IOS doesn't work. Just tested it now and it doesn't send the the note to EN IOS or the the Cloud server.

The Share feature works for me; edit Creates a local note in Evernote
                               IMG_3747.thumb.png.c962d360a8135f158c4fa0e2faf4d7e6.png

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

The Share feature works for me

The share sheet itself comes up and all, but then the content doesn't show up anywhere (iOS, web, Mac). Might be related to the sync issues. 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Chris_W said:

The share sheet itself comes up and all, but then the content doesn't show up anywhere (iOS, web, Mac). Might be related to the sync issues. 

I get a local note in Evernote.  Eventually - there seems to be a delay

am i the only sub that thinks the new release is pretty terrible? Tap the screen to edit, it takes you a totally different place in the note. Select some text, the cut/copy etc controls don't appear. No obvious 'sync status' marker that i can see and i've had sync conflicts 5 times across devices since the update like 2 days ago. Google docs links get overwritten by some massive banner ad thing that demands i connect my google account even though i don't want. No noticeable functional improvements; only regressions. Basically it's just a cosmetic update that for some reason has introduced a ton of regression issues against basic functionality, plus a load of new ways of doing old things, that seems to bear no relation to how people work or what they want to do. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
41 minutes ago, silvershower said:

am i the only sub that thinks the new release is pretty terrible?

Yes, this release has bugs and missing features     
More than a typical release, but not unexpected for a .0 release of an extensive code rewrite   
I would not use my primary device for reviewing this release

And another bug... (sad... very sad... What a mess Evernote...):

Just attempted to insert a picture into a note. Well didn't work for me.  Keeps looping for ages... then nothing. Just nothing. The picture doesn't show up inside the note.

See below (after 37mn waiting):

01.thumb.jpeg.cf06aa171d13626b65c4a3f8c5128964.jpeg

But it doesn't end there unfortunately. You would think I could get rid of the note that has been created right? Well hell no... The bugs demise needs to carry on a little further by not letting me deleting the newly created note as shown below:

02.thumb.jpeg.7aa44716e26c40ef92baf6852401525a.jpeg

I did several attempt without success. The note is still there. But for some mysterious reasons it doesn't sync to the cloud server and stays locally.

Not sure if anyone can replicate this.

But this is definitely another bug.

I can't believe this kinda things has not been tested... 

• Level 5*
On 9/19/2020 at 3:48 PM, DTLow said:

More than a typical release, but not unexpected for a .0 release of an extensive code rewrite  

Not sure about that.  There needs to be some responsibility for the quality and content of the release.  The roughness of this release doesn't match the lead up fanfare, faster - better - easier.  Was hoping to be wowed.  IMO anyway.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
17 minutes ago, CalS said:

There needs to be some responsibility for the quality and content of the release

I'm a developer, so I nominate the testers and QA analysts who signed off,   🙂
however I suspect this release was pushed by  management

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Level 5*
Just now, DTLow said:

I'm a developer, so I nominate the testers and QA analysts who signed off,   
however I suspect there was a push from management

Yeah, I was just saying the company at large popped the pooch on this one.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Lesicaire said:

@Chris W @DTLow Nothing comes up on my side guys. Clipped two pages in Safari an hour ago. Just checked now, synced (IOS, web, Win and Mac) nothing. Could be a sync issue related. But it's definitely a bug.

After saving the clip did you see this message

I suspect it's being held in a holding cache92EB84FD-2719-471A-ACFD-3AB1A1A7F971.thumb.jpeg.af972cce9d83c6900b88df91c07b353d.jpeg

I really like some of the UI changes. Search autocompletes, quicker access to editing, quite a bit actually. 
However, core features are not functioning properly at all. I get: note sync conflicts, notes copying and copying themselves, offline notebooks won’t download (green progress bar progresses then goes back to zero), notes can’t be edited when notebooks are being downloaded, can’t save anything with the iOS clipper, etc etc. 

• Like 1
4 小時前, DTLow說:

I'm a developer, so I nominate the testers and QA analysts who signed off,   🙂
however I suspect this release was pushed by  management

I admit as a user I am looking forward to the update, but not the update which can erode the trust with users.

In version 8.0 I didn't consider leaving, but now I start thinking seriously about it. They did very well on improving functions and UI, but these become meaningless when the core feature cannot function properly.

I’m a paying user since 2009. I have 29.947 notes. But I seriously doubt whether I’m going to hit 30 K. I’m screwed.

Please, please, please, give us back 8.24.6. 

And, I’m afraid, turn the ship. Accept that you’ll need to maintain three code bases, iOS, Android and Web. Everyone does that. Maybe in the future a single framework will work, but that time has not come yet.

For the time being I have stopped the automatic renewal of my subscription.

• Like 4
5 分鐘前, Rob van Vliet說:

I’m a paying user since 2009. I have 29.947 notes. But I seriously doubt whether I’m going to hit 30 K. I’m screwed.

And, I’m afraid, turn the ship. Accept that you’ll need to maintain three code bases, iOS, Android and Web. Everyone does that. Maybe in the future a single framework will work, but that time has not come yet.

I also stopped the automatic renewal to seek alternatives, even though no single app can replace and combination of several note-taking apps and paper notebooks is still better than using Evernote alone.

I must be in top 100 Evernote fans. I built my digital life around this product, the most reliable piece of software I’ve used.

So yeah. This iOS version is a disgrace. It tells me management doesn’t use Evernote, in the sense they don’t rely on it. They don’t know what it is. They believed a better editor and search auto completion were all what users expected. And so they proudly pushed the update button.

If management was relying on Evernote, there is 0% chance they would have greenlighted this bugged beta version. 0%. Because this update makes Evernote on iOS unusable. It takes one hour to realize it. The fact management  didn’t feel ashamed to release this bugged mess, sadly makes me understand they have no real idea what Evernote is, and who their core customers are 😕

Don’t get me wrong, I see good things in that version. At one point it could be better than what we had. But not in that state. Not now. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
11 分鐘前, Odrea marc說:

I must be in top 100 Evernote fans. I built my digital life around this product, the most reliable piece of software I’ve used.

So yeah. This iOS version is a disgrace. It tells me management doesn’t use Evernote, in the sense they don’t rely on it. They don’t know what it is. They believed a better editor and search auto completion were all what users expected. And so they proudly pushed the update button.

If management was relying on Evernote, there is 0% chance they would have greenlighted this bugged beta version. 0%. Because this update makes Evernote on iOS unusable. It takes one hour to realize it. One hour. The fact management  didn’t feel ashamed to release this bugged mess, sadly makes me understand they have no real idea what Evernote is, and who their core customers are 😕

Don’t get me wrong, I see good things in that version. At one point it could be better than what we had. But not in that state. Not now. 

Yes, they don't use Evernote. They don't integrate Evernote into their career life. They don't think and try how building Evernote can help their productivity and business. For them Evernote is just a product and they have already made it to customers.

If that is the case, I can't find any reason to continue using it. When I start trying Notion I can see what they are doing, and they are improving within two months, compared to EN which claimed they had built up an improved version for two years but finally unusable apps.

There are still big advantages and improvements of v10.0, but this release with the response of the company would make much more customers give up EN than when v8.0 launched.

If they really care about customers, they should have already put back v8.24.6 to the App Store or roll out v10.0.1 and even v10.0.2. They just say fix soon and even MacOS will be released soon.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Rob van Vliet said:

I've also been using and paying for it for this long and it's the first time I really consider abandoning the service.

I've had a bad feeling about the Electron foundation from the start and it seems that it's actually worse than even optimists imagined.

Most of the issues reported here, in addition to the overwhelmingly negative reactions on Twitter or Reddit, can be associated with Electron based apps (slow/sluggish, huge CPU usage, missing platform features/integration). 

The fact that they won't turn the ship back to more native platform solutions is the biggest issue for me. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
7 小時前, Chris_W說:

I've also been using and paying for it for this long and it's the first time I really consider abandoning the service.

I've had a bad feeling about the Electron foundation from the start and it seems that it's actually worse than even optimists imagined.

Most of the issues reported here, in addition to the overwhelmingly negative reactions on Twitter or Reddit, can be associated with Electron based apps (slow/sluggish, huge CPU usage, missing platform features/integration). 

The fact that they won't turn the ship back to more native platform solutions is the biggest issue for me. 

I remember when v8.0 was launched, there were some dissatisfaction but Evernote kept updating to minimise the negative effect as much as possible. (v8.0.1, v8.0.2, v8.0.3...until v8.0.6 every two to three days at first if I am not wrong)

But now after four days since the roll out and the blog posts, they remain quiet besides the staff's response to individual customers.

When the Behind the Scene was on YouTube, I did feel some hope on the company, but when they were quiet for long these years I felt they had to communicate more (the ETA of when the update will be released). Now the update has become a big crisis, the biggest ever, and this is telling us Ian Small as a CEO is a completely false hope, that he doesn't handle the crisis and the problem well.

Thus I won't have any confidence on how version 10 will be fixed. If version 8 has been improved 80% then v10 for less than 50%.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

What is striking me is that it has been more than 5 days now since the release and there is nothing in the App store showing up so far. No version 10.0.1 or 10.0.2 or 10.0.3 etc to address the multiple issues that million of PAID users are facing now. 

Communication is disastrous and inexistant after  CEO Ian Small being present during his “Behind the Scenes Series” spreading us with future of “Stability” and “good foundation”.

Where is all that today? And more important: where is he when the ship is sinking!?! Is he not the Captain of the boat last time I checked? Or will he swiftly as most CEO do shift the blame on a poor coder in EN building who knew better IOS v10 wasn’t ready for prime but was push by management anyway because hey! that’s what management do: push from high up down to bottom because they can regardless.

They stick they finger up in the wind and hope for the best. And when things go sideways as most of the time they surely do someone or some people down on the line will take the blame. And the management above will be quick to shift their anger towards the poor guy (or gal). 

Well Mr Ian Small sorry to say but you are indeed a very SMALL ceo.

I rest my case.

• Confused 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, Lesicaire said:

Someone once told me attack the problem not the person.  This is a bit too personal in my view.   

That being said I hope he shows up soon though.

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, Lesicaire said:

when the ship is sinking!?!

Don't panic - The ship is not sinking (yet)   
There's some leaks that need plugging; the crew is taking care of this

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Don't panic - The ship is not sinking (yet)   
There's some leaks that need plugging; the crew is taking care of this

this is a crew that has, consistently over a number of years, shown itself exceptionally poor at plugging leaks... and that aside from the fact that a more important task should be avoiding leaks in the first place. The point is more the continuing attrition of confidence in your product, brought on and sustained by repeated failures, missed expectations and just crazy decisions leading to the release of substandard versions. Whilst the hard working 'salt of the earth' teams are beavering away 'plugging leaks' as you say, the customers are walking away; and right now.

Brutally, note-taking is not that complex. Evernote have made a simple product so complex and hard (for them) to manage, that it doesn't even do the basics well. That is fundamental breakdown, and shows mis-management all the way to the top. It isn't about fixing bugs... this is a product and a company on a trajectory to failure. Until that is acknowledged, there is no hope that it will be turned around.

I've had 4 sync conflicts today, so I'm now testing out other products.

• Like 3

I tend to disagree. I do think that making a good note taking and archiving app is very complex. That convinces me even more that the ship is really sinking. The decision to use a web abstraction layer to reduce coding effort will not work (yet). It was chosen to be able to support all devices with as less devs as possible.

So, a complex product like Evernote needs quite some capital to spend to survive. Looks like we have reached the bottom of the money pit.

That is unfortunate. I have tried to move to other product, but none is as good as the previous Evernote.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Rob van Vliet said:

The decision to use a web abstraction layer to reduce coding effort will not work (yet).

I'm not overly concerned about the IOS or Web platforms    
But apprehensive for the Windows and Mac platforms

11 小時前, Lesicaire說:

What is striking me is that it has been more than 5 days now since the release and there is nothing in the App store showing up so far. No version 10.0.1 or 10.0.2 or 10.0.3 etc to address the multiple issues that million of PAID users are facing now. 

Communication is disastrous and inexistant after  CEO Ian Small being present during his “Behind the Scenes Series” spreading us with future of “Stability” and “good foundation”.

Where is all that today? And more important: where is he when the ship is sinking!?! Is he not the Captain of the boat last time I checked? Or will he swiftly as most CEO do shift the blame on a poor coder in EN building who knew better IOS v10 wasn’t ready for prime but was push by management anyway because hey! that’s what management do: push from high up down to bottom because they can regardless.

They stick they finger up in the wind and hope for the best. And when things go sideways as most of the time they surely do someone or some people down on the line will take the blame. And the management above will be quick to shift their anger towards the poor guy (or gal). 

I rest my case.

What is funny is that on Twitter you can see Ian Small just posted his blog article since 16 Sept and nothing else, Evernote still shows off the new features on iOS, and replies to some users that MacOS version is coming very soon. What I see is the support team is trying their best to answer users' issues, and nothing else. Where is Ian Small? Where are the management and product team members? They make me feel that they tend to ignore the problems.

As one of the support member replied to my mail that, he couldn't solve my issue personally. I totally agree with him and I think he has done more than enough. The whole company should be responsible for the unusable product. But when Ian Small and other related people are hiding behind, I realize this company will never grow.

Ignorance will lead to the mighty fall. There should still be supporters on v10.0 amid the buggy product, but there will be other events / crises leading to lose more and more customers. This time is the worst ever compared to version 8.0 and privacy policy controversy.

Sorry. I miss Chris O'Neill. He at least responded to the issues very quickly and admitted that he did make a mistake.

1952407614_EvernoteCameraRoll20161222235251.thumb.png.9a66d12ae2894ab912590b013ad684d2.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
19 hours ago, Alvin C said:

Where is Ian Small?

My expectation is Ian is doing corporate management stuff     
I don't see his role as a developer, or support staff

Not sure what's going on at EN HQ but I have been downgraded to basic account just now when I do have a valid Annual Premium account that is valid until the 28/02/2021. That's exactly 5 months and 2 days from now! And all because of IOS v10 mess! Sorry for the rant again but this has been epic disaster days on my workflow and on my nerves for days now. I can't count the number of ticket I raised with pin point details info I did provide in order to help them troubleshoot the various issues I have been facing.

One of which was related for some reason to have a EN Business account that I have canceled more than a year ago popping back in and getting mixed with my personal Premium IOS account. Notebooks of this EN Business account which I clearly requested to be canceled and haven't paid the subscription since got mixed up with my Personal account. Not sure why happened there. Courtesy of IOS v10. I did what I was trained now to do: raised Ticket# 3158962 and report the issue along others at the same time. 

First email I will get will come from EN Frontliner support keep my EN IOS open for 2h making sure that it doesn't locked and eventually it will sync correctly and thus resolved the issue with the EN Business notebooks. You all guessed what happened. Didn't work.

A few days later got an email from Escalation team a girl named Ana P. telling me that she can't find any record that I did request EN Business account to be deleted. The account was "deactivate" apparently. I replied at the time there were no option offer on site to "delete" EN Business account anyway. Maybe this has changed now not sure. Anyway she will be glad to delete the account and make sure it doesn't get mixed up with my Personal Premium account.

A day goes by. I started to have some syncing issue on my EN Windows yesterday. Couldn't sync for some reasons. Then I noticed this morning the syncing went through just found and checked the log event and could see EN Business account notebooks deletion entries. So I guess something has been done.

Then just about 30 minutes ago I was just browsing the net reading a simple article about whatever and decided to webclip it as I do often on my laptop. Then a pop up comes up saying :

image.png.d8ceb9d850dde648d1ee9196560517de.png

I open EN and I realise I just been downgraded to Basic account.

So now I have been asked to pay again for something that I have already paid for a year in which still valid.

So this message is really for @Shane D. to ask him to have someone to correct this asap please.

When asking for help because EN release IOS v10 not ready for the public, we the users shouldn't be going through to such difficulties.

It's really not funny now.

It never was.

My support: Ticket# 3158962

• Like 1
On 9/21/2020 at 8:17 PM, silvershower said:

I've had 4 sync conflicts today, so I'm now testing out other products.

Which ones? PM me if you would rather not discuss here. I simply cannot trust evernote anymore.

Management appear somewhat delusional giving the customer what they THINK they want rather than what they WANT...then icing on cake pushing out untested buggy "updates".

Cue a stream of evernote acolytes telling me all is well and if I don't like it go- but the point is I have paid for a service/application as in PAID and it is broken.

• Like 3

“First,  do no harm” 

I have been an Evernote user for over a decade, used it to store data for my personal life and business, recommended it to friends and colleagues, and lived through a management team that consistently failed to deliver. My hope was that I would not have to go through the effort of transferring thousands of notes to a new system and that Evernote would finally get its act together. Under Iain Small’s leadership this finally seemed to be happening. The Company was communicating with its users. It spent an agonizingly long time on the Beta of its web browser which, from a user perspective, looked nice but didn’t add many new features. At least the editor window started to look better. 

We were told that the underlying infrastructure that supported our data was basically “a mess”, but that the team was working hard to create a clean and consistent infrastructure and that finally we could look forward to rapid releases of new features. I served as a Beta tester for the Mac desktop version, and it appeared that, while slow, progress was being made. 

Now this: A release so flawed that I am reconsidering my relationship with the Company.  After experiencing the care that the team took with the desktop Betas, how did this mess make it to release?  I do most of my work in iOS.  I have begun using Apple Notes and OneNote because I lack confidence that data that I post through this app will actually be there tomorrow.  ☹️

The good:

• The note editor looks better.
  • There are standardized headings, but unfortunately there are no shortcuts to get to them.  In fact, you have to tap 3 times to get to one.  Better than the previous version but hardly efficient.   In a notes editor you want to get your ideas down quickly. 
  • The button to add tags is helpful.  It would be much better if there were a keyboard method to do this (one of the refinements one would hope for in an update).
  • Formatting appears to be better and more consistent. 

And Now the Bad:

• Speed. Loading notes, search, and even going between viewing modes is noticeably slower. (This is also true on the updated version of the Mac desktop and web versions of the service).  I have had several instances where the app stops and needs to be reloaded. 
  • Changing text format (E.g., using a header) requires that one tap the formatting icon,  tap a text icon, select a text style, then tap on the screen outside the formatting box to hide it before returning to typing.  That’s five steps to select a header.  By contrast, in Apple Notes you hit one keyboard short cut, type your header and done, the same is true in Bear. Even in MS OneNote, you tap once to select a style.  In Notability you can create three favorites which are available with a tap on the menu bar.  My point is that there are numerous strategies Evernote could have adopted to make this process efficient.  They didn’t.
  • Search.  Search seems to still work reliably.  However, I encountered numerous glitches where I would see search results but the app would cease functioning when I attempted to select one of them. 
  • Sketch.  Evernote began by embracing writing on the iPad.  They built an app, Penultimate, to take advantage of this capability. Prior to the Apple Pencil they even sold and Evernote/Adonit stylus.   The old Sketch had several issues:  if you exited the app or responded to a notification without hitting “Done” while sketching your work was immediately lost, the canvas was limited in size, the highlighter/marker tool was ugly, there was no way to type in a sketch, and the inking experience was definitely subpar.   But, the app did recognize the Apple Pencil, you could write short notes and there was a passable shapes tool.     With this “upgrade”  the shapes tool no longer functions at all,  writing from the Pencil appears and disappears on a stroke by stroke basis, and the feature is no completely unusable. 
  • Typing in titles.  If you type quickly the app will lose letters.  I have not encountered this yet in typing in the body of a note.  But, it is disconcerting that you cannot do something as basic as typing a note title. 
  • PDF Annotation:  One key feature of taking electronic notes is the ability to annotate pictures and .pdfs, as one would with physical media.  Here again, Evernote had a capability that was not great, but was functional.  The new version? Not so much. I attempted to annotate a 4-page .pdf as a test. I could open the .pdf immediately in Preview from my note, however after I found and tapped on the tiny annotation button at the bottom of the screen (good luck new Evernote users) all I got was a spinning arrow that never managed to actually open the .pdf. So, I tried annotating a photograph. Fortunately, I was able to get to the annotation screen. However, to my disappointment the cryptic icons and clunkiness of the old version was still present. Still worse, the “disappearing ink” of the old version, which appears to be largely corrected on the Mac Desktop, is still here and worse than before. Try handwriting an annotation. At first, the ink is a dim trace which then darkens over a few seconds. Is this a feature???? If you write too quickly the app misses strokes, only you won’t be able to tell until the ink darkens. But, wait to long and your pen is no longer a pen— it turns into a selection tool and begins moving parts of your previously invisible handwriting around on the screen. Do the developers actually try to use this *****?
  • Tables: Evernote made tables available in the desktop versions of their apps a few years ago. On the desktop, this capability is quite functional, pleasant to use, and performs well. This functionality was finally supposed to be available in this app with this release. There is now a button to insert a table. If you tap it you get a 1x2 table on iPhone and a 1x3 table on iPad. Need another column? Nope. Want to format a cell? Nope. This is actually non-functional. I guess the Table button is a peacekeeper that suggests that there might actually be a functionality someday. It sort of reminds of three years ago when Evernote announced a major release, only to discover the new feature was a redesign of Mads, the green logo elephant.  

This was a somewhat clunky but completely functional app.   Now it is a better looking, but unreliable and even less functional than before.  Meanwhile, the latest versions of Apple Notes, OneNote and Notion are super-stable and have useful new features. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
8 minutes ago, bigtelco said:

Now this: A release so flawed that I am reconsidering my relationship with the Company.

You should reconsider installing Evernote upgrades without reviewing the feedback

This ain't my first Evernote rodeo

DTLow.  Good point. This ain’t my first Evernote rodeo either.   From now on, I will remember not to  trust Evernote to properly test its software before releasing it.  My work with the Desktop Beta gave me overconfidence that the iOS team were actually going to release something exceptional, ok, at least functional... So, it was my first update after I downloaded iOS 14.  Lesson learned. 

image.jpeg

• Like 1
6 hours ago, DTLow said:

You should reconsider installing Evernote upgrades without reviewing the feedback

This ain't my first Evernote rodeo

I get your point, but iOS auto-updates are probably used by the vast majority of users. One should be able to trust a company the size of Evernote to not release a nonfunctional late alpha version. Evernote can fix this without users having to dig through forum posts.

• Like 4

Well, I've given it some time and the response from Evernote has been pretty woeful. I still can't use the EN Share Sheet in iOS and the app is slow and buggy (even does odd behaviour when I simply try to type in a new note title, really basic stuff). I simply can't afford to wait for EN to get its act together. I've been with Evernote around 10 years, through all the ups and downs, but I guess you gotta know when to call it quits. I simply can't justify paying for this poor level of service. Maybe the free account will be enough for me to use for some basic stuff - I'm glad I didn't build my productivity system around EN!

At this stage, I'm probably just better going with the native Notes solution on iPhone and iPad. Sure, it's missing features, but the sync is rock solid, it improves with every version, and is OK enough for my needs. I'll miss parts of EN but not enough. It's not hard to export my EN notes to Apple Notes.

I'm sad to do this, but is seems you have to know when to say goodbye ☹️

Stu

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Make sure to leave the note edited by the green swash, and return to the notes list.

This will make the edits sync, and probably avoid conflicts.

I’m well aware of that having used this software across several devices for years. I’m saying the behaviour has changed. Sync function does not have integrity.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, stu_ck said:

Well, I've given it some time and the response from Evernote has been pretty woeful. I still can't use the EN Share Sheet in iOS and the app is slow and buggy (even does odd behaviour when I simply try to type in a new note title, really basic stuff). I simply can't afford to wait for EN to get its act together. I've been with Evernote around 10 years, through all the ups and downs, but I guess you gotta know when to call it quits. I simply can't justify paying for this poor level of service. Maybe the free account will be enough for me to use for some basic stuff - I'm glad I didn't build my productivity system around EN!

At this stage, I'm probably just better going with the native Notes solution on iPhone and iPad. Sure, it's missing features, but the sync is rock solid, it improves with every version, and is OK enough for my needs. I'll miss parts of EN but not enough. It's not hard to export my EN notes to Apple Notes.

I'm sad to do this, but is seems you have to know when to say goodbye ☹️

Stu

I hear you @stu_ck. Been with Evernote since 2008 and Premium user since many, many years. Evernote’s OCR capability through images is very efficient and that is the main thing that is holding me  to the service. 

RE:  iPhone 7 Plus & Evernote:  I have iphone 7 plus.  On my phone, I updated to 14 the same time I updated Evernote to 10.  My Notebooks & Notes all show up perfectly.  Maybe difference is iphone update to 14?  What I am missing in Evernote 10 are the PRINT / Adobe PDF maker function & the “Find in note” feature does not work in notes before update but works in newly created notes.  I have 12,000 notes with specially created hashtags within those notes in order to use the Find In Note.  I don’t use tags.  My method works great for me.  The inability to PRINT /make Adobe PDF is a major issue for me.  
On the plus side:  the Evernote 10 update has some Great new features:  the added color choices for highlight & font, the new size selection for the font, the UNDO feature.  But, being able to PRINT is extremely important for me.  Thanks.

• Level 5

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know that I've moved several of the bug/issue reports here to the specific threads that are dedicated to those issues.

The reason for this is to help ensure that we're more accurately quantifying the number of users experiencing specific issues.

My apologies if this disrupts the continuity of some of the discussions here, and feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions!

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know that I've moved several of the bug/issue reports here to the specific threads that are dedicated to those issues.

The reason for this is to help ensure that we're more accurately quantifying the number of users experiencing specific issues.

My apologies if this disrupts the continuity of some of the discussions here, and feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions!

i really think you should provide a list of links to those other discussion threads please

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@silvershower  To clarify, I'm only moving posts if they're specific to the thread's topic. If a post contains multiple reports/issues, I'm counting/tracking them, but leaving them as they are as to not disrupt the discussion too much.

So far, I've only moved posts/reports related to this issue:

I'll do my best to provide similar updates when possible. I hope this helps.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Shane D. said:

Out of interest, does moving a thread cause the read flag to be reset?  I seem to have a lot of unread threads that I could have sworn I'd already seen.

• Level 5

@CalS 

Out of interest, does moving a thread cause the read flag to be reset?  I seem to have a lot of unread threads that I could have sworn I'd already seen.

Yes, unfortunately I believe it does as it counts it as being "new".

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Kolmir said:

However, in reality they are much, much closer to Steve Ballmer 😜

For anyone looking for the Microsoft discussion posts, they have been moved Here

• Like 1

Not certain if this is the right place to note these but I want to get these rolling so you are aware of them;

1-Annotation highlights not showing up on note

2-In annotation view Pinch and scroll do not work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The performance of this release on iPadOS is just awful. Attached is what I see when I launch the app and it hasnt been launched for a while. I make it about 12 seconds between launching he app and being able to type. That really isnt acceptable for an app designed for quick note taking.

2020-10-08 16.00.41.gif

New iOS version is useless! I am unable to open notes. I am paying for this service. 
if you haven’t updated , don’t. I use this app on a daily basis and need it to be fixed or a refund. I have submitted 2 support tickets with no reply.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

On which version are you currently ?

10.0.3 should be o.k. seen from the basic functions. 10.0.4 just hit my AppStore update list (without change log ...).

If you are on one of these versions, and still have problems, make sure you uninstall the app from the i-device. Uninstall all, app and data.

Then switch the i-device off, wait a few seconds, and switch it on again. Now reinstall the app from the AppStore. Open it, enter your account credentials, and let it sync to the server. Wait until it has made the initial download of metadata and previews, which may take a little, depending on the size of your data base, the internet and the WiFi connection.

Then try again.

If using offline notebooks, download them one by one, not by „download all“.

• Like 2

i have noticed that the sync (or whatever it is referred to now as) functionality from iOS sometimes stops and refuses to work until you restart the app. You can keep editing and editing but it  never pushes then changes through until you kill the app. This happens A LOT, and i believe it is the primary reason for the more frequent sync conflicts across multiple devices.

• Like 1

Update— I Give Up!

Evernote is now basically unusable for my daily work.  

• Apple Pencil support is fundamentally flawed.
  • Search is no longer reliable.
  • System is extremely slow, and freezes constantly.
  • Features are gone
  • No documentation

Despite the lack of feature development over the past years, Evernote has always been three things: fast, reliable and familiar.   Despite a new paint job, it is now none of these.

As a result, I have had to shift my daily work to a combination of Noteability and Apple Notes (I also use OneNote occasionally for specific projects).  There has been no communication from the Company other than “we are working on it.” I have not had this type of experience with an update from another long-term software provider.  This is incredibly bad.  This isn’t just inconvenient, this is unusable mission-critical software.   

The good news:  The latest versions of Apple Notes and OneNote are very usable. In fact, I have been quite pleased with Apple Notes of late.  Pencil support is great, documents are editable on desktop, iPad and iPhone. OCR is now quite functional. The app is super-fast on all platforms.  Linking to notes, although a bit wonky, has become extremely stable and reliable.  Tables are available on all devices. Document annotation works.  PDFs are viewable in-line.   You can password protect a note. You can move items in an outline using keyboard shortcuts.  There are keyboard shortcuts to create different types of headings.    You can scan documents directly from your iPhone into a note.  You can add material to an existing note using the “share sheet.”   Checklists are nicer than in Evernote.     It may not have all of the features that Evernote had, but all of the features actually work and were designed with care.   Notes isn’t going to disappear tomorrow. BTW, the annual price is $0.00.   

I have waited for literally years for Evernote to improve, and I have paid for the privilege. I stayed despite not getting any new features, I stayed when the only improvement was redesigning “Mads” the elephant logo. I stayed when the user policy indicated that Evernote personnel might be reading my notes.   I participated actively as Mac beta user and attempted to give constructive feedback. This was their one last chance.  

To say that they have blown it is an understatement.  I don’t think I have seen a release of mission-critical paid software so poorly communicated and so poorly tested in recent memory. Indeed, I fear that this may be the death knell for the Company— I cannot imagine premium users continuing to pay for non-functional software when free versions are certainly superior to a non-functional Evernote.   I certainly won’t. 

“Just wait a couple weeks while we fix this” is not a viable option when you run your business using this software.  Just imagine Microsoft telling all of the law firms and government offices in the nation, “Sorry our latest release of MS Word doesn’t quite work, we aren’t going to tell you what’s wrong, but rest assured we are working on it and we’ll get back to you in a week or two. Sorry you won’t be able to type anything, or if you do it might disappear, but in the mean time, just look at the shiny new screen.....”

Instead, I, and thousands of other users will now waste countless hours migrating our notes elsewhere.   This is sad ending, I love the support I’ve gotten from the other faithful users out there, but how can anyone trust their daily work to a train wreck like this.   At least I haven’t removed the old version from my desktop yet, this should make migrating easier. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

They later recanted this, after users protested.  The main issue now is that they have rendered their software unusable.  Just this morning, I discovered that the saved searches that have been the foundation of my workflow for a couple of years are no longer operating properly.    These are (were) basic functions of Evernote.  Ugh!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
36 minutes ago, bigtelco said:

They later recanted this, after users protested.  The main issue now is that they have rendered their software unusable.  Just this morning, I discovered that the saved searches that have been the foundation of my workflow for a couple of years are no longer operating properly.    These are (were) basic functions of Evernote.  Ugh!

Not sure if this is relevant to your “saved search” issue but I have similar issue with Find In Note on my iPhone 7 Plus update 14.  Find in Note is extremely important for me in my OLD before EN 10.4 update.  What I’m finding is Find in Note will not work in any of my old notes but Find In Note works inconsistently about 95% of the time in my New Notes created AFTER EN 10.4 update.  I submitted a Support Ticket to EN & Support was Prompt.  Here is cut & paste of Support’s Response to me  CUT & PASTE EVERNOTE SUPPORT 

⬇️

Thank you for getting in touch with

Evernote Customer Support.

I'm Camila, and I'm glad to assist you today.

I'm sorry to say that Print via Share icon

is not included in the new version

of Evernote on iOS.

We haven’t yet built this feature

into the new Evernote app.

This feature is on our to-do list

and we plan on building it soon.

On the other hand,

Searching in note

is working

as intended on the new version

of Evernote.

If you're having difficulty in finding or searching

in note, please reply back to this email

and provide more information.

Make sure to include all pertinent details

which would best support your request.

I'll be waiting for your response.

Thanks,

Camila S.
Customer Support Representative

@bigtelco I've done the same after 12 years of Premium. Switched to Keep It by Reinvented Software. This and Apple Notes are just vastly superior apps. I still get emails from here and will take a look every once in a while, just to know if Evernote will pull out of this (not that I'm gonna switch back, hell no). But waiting months or potentially years for an overpriced app to reach its former state of features? Nope.

• Like 2

Unfortunately I have to contradict Camila S. from EN. She writes: „Searching in note is working as intended on the new version of Evernote.“ 

!!THIS IS NOT CORRECT!!

Searching in note ist NOT working! And EN knows this. Look here: 

Please fix!

• Like 2
On 10/14/2020 at 4:47 PM, bigtelco said:

Update— I Give Up!

Evernote is now basically unusable for my daily work.  

• Apple Pencil support is fundamentally flawed.
  • Search is no longer reliable.
  • System is extremely slow, and freezes constantly.
  • Features are gone
  • No documentation

Despite the lack of feature development over the past years, Evernote has always been three things: fast, reliable and familiar.   Despite a new paint job, it is now none of these.

As a result, I have had to shift my daily work to a combination of Noteability and Apple Notes (I also use OneNote occasionally for specific projects).  There has been no communication from the Company other than “we are working on it.” I have not had this type of experience with an update from another long-term software provider.  This is incredibly bad.  This isn’t just inconvenient, this is unusable mission-critical software.   

The good news:  The latest versions of Apple Notes and OneNote are very usable. In fact, I have been quite pleased with Apple Notes of late.  Pencil support is great, documents are editable on desktop, iPad and iPhone. OCR is now quite functional. The app is super-fast on all platforms.  Linking to notes, although a bit wonky, has become extremely stable and reliable.  Tables are available on all devices. Document annotation works.  PDFs are viewable in-line.   You can password protect a note. You can move items in an outline using keyboard shortcuts.  There are keyboard shortcuts to create different types of headings.    You can scan documents directly from your iPhone into a note.  You can add material to an existing note using the “share sheet.”   Checklists are nicer than in Evernote.     It may not have all of the features that Evernote had, but all of the features actually work and were designed with care.   Notes isn’t going to disappear tomorrow. BTW, the annual price is $0.00.   

I have waited for literally years for Evernote to improve, and I have paid for the privilege. I stayed despite not getting any new features, I stayed when the only improvement was redesigning “Mads” the elephant logo. I stayed when the user policy indicated that Evernote personnel might be reading my notes.   I participated actively as Mac beta user and attempted to give constructive feedback. This was their one last chance.  

To say that they have blown it is an understatement.  I don’t think I have seen a release of mission-critical paid software so poorly communicated and so poorly tested in recent memory. Indeed, I fear that this may be the death knell for the Company— I cannot imagine premium users continuing to pay for non-functional software when free versions are certainly superior to a non-functional Evernote.   I certainly won’t. 

“Just wait a couple weeks while we fix this” is not a viable option when you run your business using this software.  Just imagine Microsoft telling all of the law firms and government offices in the nation, “Sorry our latest release of MS Word doesn’t quite work, we aren’t going to tell you what’s wrong, but rest assured we are working on it and we’ll get back to you in a week or two. Sorry you won’t be able to type anything, or if you do it might disappear, but in the mean time, just look at the shiny new screen.....”

Instead, I, and thousands of other users will now waste countless hours migrating our notes elsewhere.   This is sad ending, I love the support I’ve gotten from the other faithful users out there, but how can anyone trust their daily work to a train wreck like this.   At least I haven’t removed the old version from my desktop yet, this should make migrating easier. 

Could not agree more on what has been wrote here. My thought and feeling at the moment.

I have past the stage of being frustrated to be just well... can't even name it properly. Something between pure sadness and disbelief. The way I see it Evernote is a great idea, a great product just poorly executed. Like most of us I love the damn Green Elephant for more than 10 years.  Ten years of my thoughts, ideas, work, memories are in these notes. My day to day workflow (unfortunately) depended on it. I am exhausted to battle with EN Support to find out why this and that doesn't work. My bad I shouldn't update the to v10. It's done now. But After more than 10 years I have decided to leave EN and move to Nimbus which I have been tested for the past 10 days or so. It is not EN for sure. But It will do the job I need for now.

I would have gladly pay triple the price EN is asking now if ONLY they could guaranty after all these years a stable robust rock solid reliable software. But now frankly I do not trust this EN anymore. Not with my data and more importantly for me: my time. My time has value. And when EN messed up the way they have done now they basically taking away what is the most precious from me: time. Because God knows I have wasted time find workaround the past weeks just to get simple receipts get scan send over to my EN desktop, or webcliping a simple webpage or pulling up a simple note when being at the bank to retrieve simple info or recording a meeting I had with a client for 45mn to find out that EN IOS v10 at the end of the recording well did not save it and deleted the recording. You report it to EN support team with a ticket number, they ask the log, reply to you with "we understand your frustration... The dev team has prioritise your issue bla bla bla..." then silence for weeks. You are left to dry with an app that you paid which doesn't work, EN is M.I.A. and you can't work and do nothing.

Enough...

I'm out. 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, kate0508 said:

Not sure if watching the very recent YOUTUBE interview with the gentleman responsible for EN will help ease discomfort or make it worse.  

It was nice to see Ian, but it didn’t address any of the elephants (pun intended) in the room. The professor was obviously excited to interview Ian— no doubt a boost to his YouTube channel— but didn’t ask about any of the performance issues that his own subscribers were complaining about.... more marketing than journalism. 

• Like 2

MY UPDATE:  I’m an iPhone 7 Plus IOS user. WHY:  Because my iPhone is always accessible & therefore always convenient.  I rarely use my laptop or my iPad.  Thank goodness I didn’t update to EN v10 on my laptop or iPad.  I use my iPad more now because of it having an earlier version of EN.

I still first reach for my iPhone to read or input data in EN & what I’m finding now is I’ve acquired more skill in implementing the new features & working around the dearly missed deleted features:  standard PRINT function & Find In Note feature.

I can use HP print to print but it does not allow me to not print particular pages - so if I have a 50 page NOTE & only need to print pages 1, 10 & 12, I have to print all 50 pages.  Work Around is:  Print from my iPad or laptop.

Find In Note is a very important feature for me.  I don’t use TAGS but I have a self-created structure I built into my 12,000 plus notes to specifically be used by Find In Note.  My heart sinks everytime I open a lengthy note & I cannot jump to the location I want because the Find In Note SOMETIMES but MOST TIMES does not work in my 12,000 OLD notes in IOS.  Because Find In Note DOES WORK SOMETIMES, but not often, I tend to believe I’m doing something wrong for it to not work - I’ve spent a lot of time trying to figure that out.

The new features are pretty good:  The UNDO is a great feature.  The resizing of the font / print size is great, etc.

For me, there was a learning curve in trying to figure out inserting snapshots & formatting them into my text - but I think I’m mastering that - an instruction manual would be nice because in the beginning, that was difficult to figure out by pecking on the keys.  But I did it.

I’m going to hang in there.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, kate0508 said:

Not sure if watching the very recent YOUTUBE interview with the gentleman responsible for EN will help ease discomfort or make it worse.  

So, this whole forum represents 5% of the users who use functions that 95% of the Evernote users do not use...

Is he serious when he says that?!!

I'm tired... I've heard enough... 

He is content to say that they have not yet implemented this function for the moment...

Not to say that they simply removed it from the previous version.

Speech of a politician...

I just hope for his sake that the 95% of users he cares about are the paying users... 
Otherwise he seriously risks having to assume this joke of Evernote V10 for the rest of his career in other companies :)

I leave Evernote, in this version 10, the competition does much better for less money. 
Keepit, Devonthink, Apple notes, Nimbus... and so many others...

• Like 2

Kind of my thoughts too regarding 5%.  How did EN determine the percentage?  I would think that the standard used everywhere PRINT function command button that EN deleted in v10 IOS is a feature used by at least 101% of EN IOS users?  Is he saying that only 5% IOS users find it necessary to PRINT their notes?  I find that unbelievable.  But that’s just me.  I found easy & I found complicated ways to PRINT from IOS but the productivity is missing when using the PRINT work arounds.  

Am I the only IOS user who PRINTS notes?

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Lesicaire said:

Could not agree more on what has been wrote here. My thought and feeling at the moment.

I have past the stage of being frustrated to be just well... can't even name it properly. Something between pure sadness and disbelief. The way I see it Evernote is a great idea, a great product just poorly executed. Like most of us I love the damn Green Elephant for more than 10 years.  Ten years of my thoughts, ideas, work, memories are in these notes. My day to day workflow (unfortunately) depended on it. I am exhausted to battle with EN Support to find out why this and that doesn't work. My bad I shouldn't update the to v10. It's done now. But After more than 10 years I have decided to leave EN and move to Nimbus which I have been tested for the past 10 days or so. It is not EN for sure. But It will do the job I need for now.

I would have gladly pay triple the price EN is asking now if ONLY they could guaranty after all these years a stable robust rock solid reliable software. But now frankly I do not trust this EN anymore. Not with my data and more importantly for me: my time. My time has value. And when EN messed up the way they have done now they basically taking away what is the most precious from me: time. Because God knows I have wasted time find workaround the past weeks just to get simple receipts get scan send over to my EN desktop, or webcliping a simple webpage or pulling up a simple note when being at the bank to retrieve simple info or recording a meeting I had with a client for 45mn to find out that EN IOS v10 at the end of the recording well did not save it and deleted the recording. You report it to EN support team with a ticket number, they ask the log, reply to you with "we understand your frustration... The dev team has prioritise your issue bla bla bla..." then silence for weeks. You are left to dry with an app that you paid which doesn't work, EN is M.I.A. and you can't work and do nothing.

Enough...

I'm out. 

Sadly I too have to conclude that enough is enough. I have posted a lot of concerns and to date I have not had any response from Evernote. I have been a premium user since 2014 and I have recommended Evernote to a lot of people.

For the first time in years, I have scraps of paper with note on on my desk because I simply can't trust Evernote to capture and keep my thoughts and tasks. Most of my workflows depend on EN. I can't remember when I last felt so disorganised and out of control.

It is now 2 weeks since the last bug fix. During this time they have launched mac os and windows versions. It seems to me that they have given up on iOS and in the absence of information from the company it is inevitable that I will make up my own explanation for the lack of action.

Interestingly my subscription automatically renewed two weeks ago. I wonder if I can get a refund for the rest of the year.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
16 minutes ago, SimonU62 said:

Interestingly my subscription automatically renewed two weeks ago. I wonder if I can get a refund for the rest of the year.

I tried this. Answer I got was: you pay for support not features... And lot of other argumentation showing that they don't want take responsibility for their mistakes.

• Like 1

Is This a Better Experience?

1. There are now some markdown shortcuts that will be easy once I learn them. 
  2. I do like the look of the editor.
  3. I haven't yet had a chance to test search very extensively but I have noticed some performance issues. 
  4. The iOS version is still an absolute mess. 
  5. I like the new look of the Editor here, but what does it offer except colors and standardized header sizes? Text boxes? Mix of handwriting and text? Ability to view .pdfs in-line? No, no, no. 

Other than a prettier editor, I don’t see any real advantages in the new Evernote.   In fact, there is much more to dislike.  There are lots of cosmetic things they could have done to make Evernote look better without changing changing its base functionality.  This reminds me of when Apple rebuilt iWork.  However, when this was done, they really revamped the workings of the apps and you got a collaborative experience in return.  I don’t see that users get anything here other than some cosmetic changes.   Search is “better”?  Search was already great, this wasn’t a “feature” requested by users.  They wanted, and still want, a more capable and modern application.   Let’s compare Evernote with free Apple Notes:
Feature 
Apple Notes
Evernote
Comments
Editor
Great
Ok
The Evernote editor lacks shortcuts.  Other than standardizing font sizes, it isn’t much of an improvement over its predecessor, and many features have disappeared.
Handwriting
Great
Horrible

Annotation
Great on iOS and Desktop
Ok on desktop, horrible on iOS
Apple annotation includes text, drawing, and signature support.  
Tables
Great on all platforms
Exists only on Desktop. Evernote is better on Mac. 
Evernote for iOS has a “button” for adding a table but it isn’t actually functional.  Evernote does have colors!
Search
OCR 
OCR
Apple seems to process and index new images faster than Evernote. Evernote retains the advantage of saved searches.  Apple breaks up searches into categories
Drawing
Drawing tools, Scribble, 
Horrible and non-functional at launch. Ugly and difficult.  It apparently aspires to an infinite canvas. 
Why Evernote would launch an app with fundamentally broken features is beyond me.  It is not confidence-inspiring. 
Speed
Fantastic
Ok, but behind Notes
Apple Notes benefits from tight integration with iOS, use of Share Sheet, 
Add to an existing note
Yes
No
This is actually a great feature in real world use when you are adding to an existing note.  Evernote allows for merging of notes, but this is often less desirable than adding to an existing note. 

Note Links
Good but a bit hard to get to
Very good, but the new version has made internal links less accessible.

Save an email
Yes but not obvious.
Easy, Mail in
This is an area where Evernote is ahead… for now. 
Managing pdfs
Great, inline viewing, annotation
Terrible, images are sometimes wrong size, annotation is bad in iOS, pdfs are hidden unless clicked on
This should be Evernote’s core competency.  It is actually getting worse!
Tags
No
Yes
Although this is an Evernote “win”, inexplicably, rather than improving their tag system a la Bear, Evernote have made it harder to access.  Bizarre: this is one of their key features for paying power users.  They could have further differentiated themselves but instead chose to make notebooks the centerpiece of organization like Apple Notes or OneNote
Outlining
Great in iOS and on Mac
Great on Mac, but no mechanism for moving outline elements in iOS
Again, you would think this should be an Evernote core competency. Yet, other than now treating outline elements as blocks, Evernote haven't added any features in years. Each version of Apple Notes keeps adding substantial improvements. 
Note Appearance
Good
Good + Colors

Password Protect a Note
Yes
No
After a decade of requests to Evernote, nothing....

Evernote Should Be Better!

Evernote should win this race easily. It charges for this service! It has an enormous base of committed users.
  • It should have better search. OCR appears to have gotten worse. Indeed I am running old and new versions concurrently and, to my shock, I get better search results with the old version! 
  • It should be faster (the new versions have performance issues, software bugs, and you spend a lot of time looking at a spinning circles!!!!!)
  • It should take advantage of the unique capabilities of the platforms it sits on, like Apple Pencil. 
  • It should have lots of outlining capabilities. This should BE Evernote's core competency:
    • Toggle Outlines
    • Multi-column outlines.
    • Convert from a table to an outline.
    • Some database capabilities.
    • Project outlining
    • mind mapping
    • Kanban boards
  • iOS should be just as capable as desktop!
    • Outlining
  • Evernote should keep up with OS capabilities. E.g., iOS 14:
    • iOS Widgets?
    • Scribble support? Currently you need to actually disable Scribble to allow the Apple Pencil to function at all. 
  • Evernote should have GREAT export options:
    • The ability to Print!!!! (I didn't know this was a "feature" since the 1980s!)
    • PDF export with ability to see page cutoffs
    • Docx export
    • Convert to PowerPoint
  • Yes, you should be able to password protect a note. 
  • Evernote should enhance the security of note transmission and storage.
  • Evernote should communicate to users what they are doing and what they aren't doing. 

None of these features are new requests. Users have gone for 5 years without nearly ANYTHING being checked off the list. At least we deserve to hear what their plan is for future development. Mr. Small's statements that only 5% of users utilize "feature X" probably stems from two main sources:
  1. As another commentator noted, non-paying users comprise a large portion of the customer base, and they most likely aren't dependent on the deeper features of the app. 
  2. Some features, like Tags, aren't used that much because, in previous versions of Evernote they have been implemented inconsistently across platforms. For instance, I would have preferred a tag-based system, but I eventually converted to using Notebooks because a hierarchical view of Tags did not exist in iOS where I do much of my work. This doesn't prove that the feature wasn't desirable, it just proves that users won't work with a half-assed implementation. This update was an opportunity for Evernote to show users a more effective way to utilize tags.... Meh. 

I am still hoping Evernote can pull themselves together.  The thought of transferring thousands of notes and upending my workflow is daunting.  But, I've already started using other apps, especially in iOS, to make up for the fact that key features simply don't work in Evernote.  As my base of notes grows elsewhere, the likelihood that I will continue using Evernote diminishes.... 

• Thanks 4
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2020 at 11:20 PM, Search4f said:

I have issues on my iPad 

The app is jittery  Doesn’t lock and unlock properly 

the character disappear as I type doesn’t suggest most recent notebook 

the count for notes in a book or tag are gone

I have Evernote 10.0.4 on iOS 13.4 on iPhone SE, and I can “view only” on all my existing notes!!! I cannot edit any of them.

i can create new ones and edit them. But I can “view only” on my existing ones. I have searched all menu options, and tried double-tapping to edit and long hold to edit - all with no success, cannot edit any of them.

Frustrating. HELP!!! Please somebody.

66B909AF-7E94-4DBD-8D42-82CD214B7553.jpeg

15 minutes ago, kaycee said:

I have Evernote 10.0.4 on iOS 13.4 on iPhone SE, and I can “view only” on all my existing notes!!! I cannot edit any of them.

i can create new ones and edit them. But I can “view only” on my existing ones. I have searched all menu options, and tried double-tapping to edit and long hold to edit - all with no success, cannot edit any of them.

Frustrating. HELP!!! Please somebody.

66B909AF-7E94-4DBD-8D42-82CD214B7553.jpeg

I have this problem too (already on the latest v10.1) when I give one more chance to Evernote. You can edit again when you edit it on desktop/web app first.

I'm really tired of it and never go back. Even though there are improvements.

• Sad 1

LONG SHOT:  Are your notes that are in view only notes that are shared with you from another Evernote User ? I share some of my notes with my husband who has his own separate Evernote account & some of my notes that I share with him are in view only (in his EN).  When my husband’s EN automatically updated to EN 10.4 a week or so ago, all of his notes that I shared with him had to be manually reloaded from my Shared Account Settings & resent to him.  & he had to re-accept?  My husband rarely uses EN so I haven’t followed up since the discovery of his missing notes after his automatic EN update.  We both use individual iPhone 7 plus v14 phone update.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned, but checkboxes keep automatically turned into checklists when I press enter. I would like to turn this off, but there are still no preferences. 

Please can we have an idea of how long this will take to fix? 

(Using the windows app.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/6/2020 at 7:10 AM, PinkElephant said:

Have you yet tried uninstalling and reinstalling ?

Now unfortunately the web client is counted as a device for basic users. Otherwise I would have asked how it is on the web client - view only as well ?

Thank you. I have now tried the following -

- updated to available version 10.1 (1107121) from iTunes App Store. no difference

- deleted app and downloaded 10.1. No difference

- logged out of this discussion group forum (as someone suggested browser login may affect device count). No difference

Hmmm...may have to live without edit function on iOS phone and edit only via Win10 PC browser login until fixed (whenever that will be). Such a pity. I really should not have updated iOS app when the previous version was working just fine. (Darn all the updates and improvements! What ever happened to the KISS principle? Why do apps have to be updated continuously to satisfy demanding users? 😔)

• Like 1
  • Level 5

No idea then - with me, the EN iOS v10.1 client is working „well“, that is it does what it probably can do at the moment.

Editing notes is working, both for ones created on the iOS client and on my Mac, which is still running legacy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I notice the really annoying by bug still exists, where if you are in read mode and click in the note to edit it, it just takes you to whatever point in the note it feels like. Sometimes the bit you clicked (which is the desired behaviour) but mostly somewhere else entirely. Get it fixed Evernote it’s really annoying. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 9/19/2020 at 2:15 PM, DTLow said:

The Share feature works for me; edit Creates a local note in Evernote

Mine syncs eventually, but what I find very annoying is that you can no longer add tags to the note you’re creating by sharing a webpage from Safari ... on Mac or iOS. That defeats much of the reason for me to use Evernote, which is as a file system of materials I collect on the web. 

any prospect thus will come back in a new update? 

• Sad 1
On 9/26/2020 at 4:31 PM, Chris_W said:

@bigtelco By the way, did you notice that text from PDFs can't be selected any longer? On iPhone, I have to download the PDF to the files app, open it there and only then can I select text to copy. 

Not only select text, while EN still finds notes containing a PDF that contains the search string, it no longer indicates -where- in the PDF the search string appears. It also doesn't let you search within a PDF.

This makes it EXCRUCIATING to search to find the desired note, as many notes (and the PDFs within them) might contain the same search string — but only one of them is the desired note (PDF).

PDF search was a PREMIUM feature — and a main reason we've been paying — and paying for multiple accounts — all these years.

We're looking elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I created one new note and updated an old note yesterday on my PC. Today, the EDIT button appears on those notes and continue to appear on notes created in iOS. However, all other notes created previously (regardless of platform) are still VIEW ONLY. 

I’m not sure I want to “edit” all previously created notes to activate EDIT on iOS. 
Is this a bug??? I may do some testing later. 😔

2 hours ago, kaycee said:

I created one new note and updated an old note yesterday on my PC. Today, the EDIT button appears on those notes and continue to appear on notes created in iOS. However, all other notes created previously (regardless of platform) are still VIEW ONLY. 

I’m not sure I want to “edit” all previously created notes to activate EDIT on iOS. 
Is this a bug??? I may do some testing later. 😔