SO SLOW (App Performance)

Go to solution Solved by annah,

• Ex Employees
  • Solution

Hi @Wilburguy and @gustavgi, thanks for reporting this. This is definitely not expected behavior. If you're willing, I'd like to gather a few details from each of you, to see if we can better understand what is causing a degradation in performance on your iPads.

• @Wilburguy What iPad model do you have? 
  • You mention offline notebooks - are those still in the process of downloading? (Indicated by the progress bar underneath the notebook titles.) Performance could potentially slow down a bit if all notebooks are still downloading - but that should resolve itself once they are done.
  • Would you be able to provide an activity log and send it to me via DM? To access this, open the settings menu from the 'gear' icon at the top of left sidebar, then Support > Activity Log. You can email the file to yourself first and then attach it to the message. 

• @gustavgi What iPad Pro model do you have?
  • The behavior in the video is of course egregiously slow, and absolutely unexpected. Does that happen every time you try to expand a section, or is it specific to one area?
  •  Is anything else going on within the app while this is happening? For example - are you also downloading offline notebooks? Is the app still syncing notes from the service (if so, it would say 'Syncing...' next to the 'All notes' header)?
  • Could you also provide me with an activity log via private message, following the same steps as above?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 9/17/2020 at 2:40 PM, gustavgi said:

Yes, @Ian Small please don't move forward with the new Android and Windows version before this is fixed... If this is the performance on an iPad Pro i don't know what to expect on other devices.

I cannot reproduce this particular problem. But the App is generally slower on my iPad Air 2 than the version before. Sometimes, it takes up to 10 seconds until the note content gets visible after note switching. And search also takes ages.

• Thanks 2

Thanks to Evernote team for this update.

BUT :

- on my iphone 6s, performance is slow but usable (slower than previous version)

- on my iPad mini 4, it's not usable !!! Lags, freezes, buttons, links to files don't respond, especially in list view.

And what ??? No pdfs preview, no pdf annotation ? I use it everyday...

• Like 1
在 2020/9/18 在 AM1點47分, Claudiofpiga說:

Evernote seems to be repeating EN 8.0  launch ios  problems ,  again .Very slow   version ,  Looks like a beta version 

I am afraid if it is worse than v8.0.

At first I find it great but when I try to use more then it's more and more frustrating.

I expect they will launch v10.0.1 after one or two days but now it's three days especially when people find it unusable.

I used to have a very annoying issue that v8.24.x always refreshed to the top and waited for more than a year (as they told the members there would be big updates solving fundamental problems on YouTube). After more than a year, the bug has been fixed but more bugs are coming.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hello, I tried on my iPad Air 3rd generation and iPhone 11, both are too slow for me to use. Search is slow, loading notes once selected is slow, loading tags is slow, taking photos is slow. I hope Evernote is working overtime this week end to fix this and we'll see an update in the coming days that address this. I heavily rely on Evernote and this version is nowhere near something you can release to the public.

• Like 2

Been using this app religiously on my iPhone SE (2016), iPad Air 2 and my iPad Mini 5 (all on iOS and iPadOS 14).  On all devices it's SIGNIFICANTLY slower than the previous version of the Evernote application.

I'm most surprised with the performance of the app on the iPad Mini 5 since the A12 Bionic should easily be able to chew through search and display tasks but yet goes incredibly slow.

Jandus

6 小時前, glm說:

Hello, I tried on my iPad Air 3rd generation and iPhone 11, both are too slow for me to use. Search is slow, loading notes once selected is slow, loading tags is slow, taking photos is slow. I hope Evernote is working overtime this week end to fix this and we'll see an update in the coming days that address this. I heavily rely on Evernote and this version is nowhere near something you can release to the public.

I just wonder why they insist on releasing it even when the app is not ready, much worse than beta 1.

I am so mean to say, even a paper notebook is much more reliable than Evernote v10.0!!! I paid for something which messed my tidy notes up!

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, glm said:

the slowness might be infrastructure related then. I'm located in Canada, Montreal

I'm in Victoria, on an island at Canada's west coast   
No issues with Evernote slowness (just with the ferry to the mainland)

Any speed improvement using Evernote offline?

• Level 5

My infrastructure is fast (1.000 MBit/s down / 50 MBit/s up, with WiFi in the 500-600 MBit/s range ) , so I can’t decide whether this is an issue.

The only slow thing with the new EN iOS client on our iDevices is the download of the offline notebook. But I have the impression that this is related to iOS blocking background activity.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

My infrastructure is fast (1.000 MBit/s down / 50 MBit/s up, with WiFi in the 500-600 MBit/s range ) , so I can’t decide whether this is an issue.

The only slow thing with the new EN iOS client on our iDevices is the download of the offline notebook. But I have the impression that this is related to iOS blocking background activity.

I also have a very fast WiFi and Internet. And I am waiting and waiting and... for the notebooks to download. 

I agree that  because of iOS limitations, EN can't spend a lot of time in the background downloading. BUT IT DOESN'T WORK ANY FASTER EVEN IF EN IS RUNNING IN THE FOREGROUND!

I have left my iPad Pro with Evernote running (showing the notebook selection display) for several days, plugged into a power adapter with the display set to never lock the iPad, and so far only thee small notebooks have been fully downloaded. The rest of the notebooks seem to be halfway downloaded. So another 5-7 days, maybe?

FYI, I don't have a huge database -- 6,400 notes in 60 notebooks, with most notes contains little text and one or two PDFs.

I obviously can't give up my iPhone permanently running EN, so I don't think the notebooks will ever download on my phone -- which is where I really need them available.

When I was talking about infrastructure, I meant Evernote infrastructure. Maybe the new infrastructure they are using isn't able to take the load of new requests. Maybe the software overloads the infrastructure. I takes me an average of 5 seconds to get open a note on an offline Notebook. It takes an average of 3 seconds to validate the selection of a tag. I also launched the download of one notebook, it ran all night long, with the iPad's screen on and it's still not completed. 

The most amazing is the lack of communication from Evernote to its users. The is something big going on and there is no blog post, no strategy to remediate to the issue.

I'm an Evernote user since July 2011 and I exported all my notes to Notion. It's incredibly faster than the new Evernote App. The only downside is there is no way to e-mail notes to Notion, I hope it's coming soon.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, glm said:

I'm an Evernote user since July 2011 and I exported all my notes to Notion. It's incredibly faster than the new Evernote App. The only downside is there is no way to e-mail notes to Notion, I hope it's coming soon.

I read that Notion is also realized with Elektron, isn't it?

So if Notion is nevertheless fast enough for you to change, why shouldn't Evernote manage to improve its actual app to a sufficient performance in the further process?

4 hours ago, HeBoIz said:

So if Notion is nevertheless fast enough for you to change, why shouldn't Evernote manage to improve its actual app to a sufficient performance in the further process?

Maybe they haven't been able to attract and retain top talents?

2 hours ago, glm said:

Maybe they haven't been able to attract and retain top talents?

Maybe they are just not ready and we - unfortunately - all discuss the worse parts of a non complete beta version which can be optimized in a couple of two weektime sprints ... (I donˋt know what kind of pressure lead to the decision to let this version out in this stadium but I am quite sure that this was not just because of a bloody management decision without  any knowledge or interest  about bugs and missing features. There might be some more internal or serious economical reasons. But anyway, after this going public they surely have all reasons to concentrate on this getting fixed soon...)

But lets get back to that Elektron thing: I think it is not consequent to damn Evernote to set on Elektron and then to change to a system which is already and as well solved with Elektron.

11 小時前, glm說:

When I was talking about infrastructure, I meant Evernote infrastructure. Maybe the new infrastructure they are using isn't able to take the load of new requests. Maybe the software overloads the infrastructure. I takes me an average of 5 seconds to get open a note on an offline Notebook. It takes an average of 3 seconds to validate the selection of a tag. I also launched the download of one notebook, it ran all night long, with the iPad's screen on and it's still not completed. 

The most amazing is the lack of communication from Evernote to its users. The is something big going on and there is no blog post, no strategy to remediate to the issue.

Seems that the company just leaves the responsibility (of communication) to the support team, however the team members are trying their best but there is something needed to be solved by the management. It makes me feel the management is not responsible, not brave to admit the problems.

No small patches to fix some of the problems these few days are also to blame.

I also start using Notion. Fast and reliable. You can tap "?" on the bottom right corner on Mac, or on the bottom of the sidebar on iOS. They will address your issue shortly.

• Thanks 1
3 小時前, HeBoIz說:

Maybe they are just not ready and we - unfortunately - all discuss the worse parts of a non complete beta version which can be optimized in a couple of two weektime sprints ... (I donˋt know what kind of pressure lead to the decision to let this version out in this stadium but I am quite sure that this was not just because of a bloody management decision without  any knowledge or interest  about bugs and missing features. There might be some more internal or serious economical reasons. But anyway, after this going public they surely have all reasons to concentrate on this getting fixed soon...)

But lets get back to that Elektron thing: I think it is not consequent to damn Evernote to set on Elektron and then to change to a system which is already and as well solved with Elektron.

I think Elektron (sorry what is this? Is this the foundation for a system?) doesn't matter a lot. Notion can develop an app well.

What matters is how Evernote was developing a new app, how they communicate with users, and how they are willing to improve the situation.

What we see is that the public beta fails to ensure an app with an acceptable level of bugs. This version proves to be unusable, worse than the first beta.

So when they fail on the first round, there are so many things to do these five days:

• They can keep releasing v10.0.1, 10.0.2, 10.0.3 quickly to address one or two serious bugs every two or three days. They are not willing to do it!
  • If they cannot launch the above patches, they can put back v8.24.6 to the App Store. They are not willing to do it!
  • Talk to the public what they are doing now (like in blog articles). The company just leaves it to the support team, while the latter can't solve problems themselves.

They just keep showing off their new features.

If they don't change their attitudes or behaviours, even giving up the Elektron that what you said does not help!

444622753_ScreenShot2020-09-22at8_57_24AM.thumb.png.a894f1906a889a49b7d971038eaf3fa0.png

I assume version 10.0.1 primarily adresses only bugs which were to find and to fix fast and easy.

improving 'performance' in general surely will be a very big and important topic for Evernote. But this probably will take more work and time to be done and tested.

Just curious if anyone else is finding the latest app to be VERY slow?  It takes about 30 second to load tags and then find them when I try and tag a note.  There is a significant lag for almost any operation other than typing. 

Thoughts on whether this is related to iOS14 or the new EN update. 

Note: I was part of the beta test and it seems that this is much slower than the beta app. 

this morning finally all my offline notebooks are completely downloaded - I kept EN open side-by-side on my iPad. It is very slow, indeed, but it finished.

Maybe they‘ve limited the download speed for offline notebooks - imagine what happened after releasing V10: hundreds of thousands may have started upgrading and downloading all their offline notebooks again...

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Same with me: Downloading the offline content was very slow, then stopped entirely.

I put the offline notebooks to „not offline“, said „keep downloaded content“. Meanwhile I had to reinstall the app, due to another problem while testing shared notebooks.

Started downloading now anew, and the first (smaller) notebooks went through pretty fast. Will try larger notebooks now, and then will go „all in“ on my iPad Pro, as I had it before.

I have 17,000 plus notes, work on iPhone (XS), iPad Pro (2nd gen), Windows10. After updating the iOS versions (daily), I've come to loose all changes made (additional notes, tag changes) on the weekend after I opened the Windows version and it synced. The iOS app takes more than 30 minutes 'syncing' and never finishes. Editing anything (content, tags title) on iOS is now incredibly slow. Changing notebook results (on a 14K+ notes notebook) on a 2 minute wait for notes to appear. My encripted PDFs are no longer opened.

I am a paying customer, using evernote since 2012 as a vital productivity tool. The latest iOS version feels like beta software mostly, and alpha software on some functionality. I'd go as far as to request a fallback to the previous version until the development team irons out the problems. In its current form, using Evernote on iOS feels more like a major risk, as information can be lost.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

We have reports here in other threads that the initial syncing took very long, and that old views of data initially showed, but were exchanged by the actual content over time.

Maybe you just need to wait for the initial sync to move ahead.

I just finished downloading my offline notebooks (which works since EN 10.0.2 got released) - took 2 days to download the whole stuff on my iPad Pro. Maybe the servers are currently under a one-time load, which may slow syncing and downloading at the same time.

Syncing to an iOS device should go faster than downloading, because only a few metadata and previews are transmitted per note. But for 17.000 notes, this is still a lot of stuff. 15min are not enough, new client or not.

• Level 5*
On 9/17/2020 at 4:20 PM, annah said:

Hi @Wilburguy and @gustavgi, thanks for reporting this. This is definitely not expected behavior. If you're willing, I'd like to gather a few details from each of you, to see if we can better understand what is causing a degradation in performance on your iPads.

• @Wilburguy What iPad model do you have? 
  • You mention offline notebooks - are those still in the process of downloading? (Indicated by the progress bar underneath the notebook titles.) Performance could potentially slow down a bit if all notebooks are still downloading - but that should resolve itself once they are done.
  • Would you be able to provide an activity log and send it to me via DM? To access this, open the settings menu from the 'gear' icon at the top of left sidebar, then Support > Activity Log. You can email the file to yourself first and then attach it to the message. 

• @gustavgi What iPad Pro model do you have?
  • The behavior in the video is of course egregiously slow, and absolutely unexpected. Does that happen every time you try to expand a section, or is it specific to one area?
  •  Is anything else going on within the app while this is happening? For example - are you also downloading offline notebooks? Is the app still syncing notes from the service (if so, it would say 'Syncing...' next to the 'All notes' header)?
  • Could you also provide me with an activity log via private message, following the same steps as above?

Thanks in advance.

I have the 2019 iPad Pro 256GB+4G version. The behavior happens every time for every section. I have no offline notebooks downloading and all notes have been synched. I am however a power user, with 40.000 notes, 1.000 notebooks and 50.000 tags. I would guess that it has something to do with that, but that number is however not even close to the maximum numbers of notes or tags.

• Level 5

If you have that many content and structure, had the app enough time to download (sync) everything ?

I have far less notes and tags, but keep everything offline on my iPad . Download really started only with ver 10.0.2 (got stuck before), and it took me 2 full days (while keeping my iPad on a power source, auto-off switched to „never“) on a 1 Gigabit internet connection to download all notebooks. Probably the limiting factor was the EN server, which is quite busy at the moment.

If you have problems, I would completely erase the the app from the iPad, then do a forced restart (look it up at Apple support about how to do it on your device) and reload the app, and then your data. The 10.0.2 version ist much better, but if there is any data mixup from the prior releases, maybe it is better to have a fresh start.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If you have that many content and structure, had the app enough time to download (sync) everything ?

I have far less notes and tags, but keep everything offline on my iPad . Download really started only with ver 10.0.2 (got stuck before), and it took me 2 full days (while keeping my iPad on a power source, auto-off switched to „never“) on a 1 Gigabit internet connection to download all notebooks. Probably the limiting factor was the EN server, which is quite busy at the moment.

If you have problems, I would completely erase the the app from the iPad, then do a forced restart (look it up at Apple support about how to do it on your device) and reload the app, and then your data. The 10.0.2 version ist much better, but if there is any data mixup from the prior releases, maybe it is better to have a fresh start.

Yeah, I've already tried that and I don't have any offline notebooks. And if I disconnect from both Wifi and 4G, I can still access the tag section and expand the sections with the crazy delay, which means that all tags are cached offline regardless of whether you have offline notebooks. And as the search suggestions are instant and as navigation among tags can be carried out without any significant delay on all other versions of Evernote, it seems more like this version hasn't been optimized for larger amounts of data. 

• Level 5

Yes, all metadata (which includes tags, notebooks, stacks, note metadata, some text content and previews) is permanently loaded to the iOS device.

To compare: On my iPad, with all notebooks set to offline and fully downloaded, the storage needed is 17 GB. On my iPhone, with no offline notebooks it is just 90MB of data (plus the app itself).

If I go to flight mode to cut my internet connection, tag search does not work on the phone, but it fully works on the ipad. If your app is very slow, this is for me an indicator that it has still not downloaded everything, goes to the server with the request, and then it is stuck.

ISO IPAD ON ALL 5 UNITS THE OFFLINE NOTES DO NOT CONNECT IF I TURN OFF CONNECTIONS- IT NOW TAKES FOR EVER FOR THE NOTE THAT WE OPEN TO SHOW UP IT HAS TO BE DOWN LOADED FROM THE EVERNOTE SYSTEM CLOUD BASE, WE WORK ALOT IN BUILDINGS WITH MODERATE VERISON SIGNAL - YOU HAD TO KNOW THIS WHEN YOU PUT THIS UPDATE OUT WHY?- CAN WE GO BACK TO THE OLD SYSTEM 

• Level 5

Use release 10.0.2.

Beside other bugfixes offline download is now working.

My experience is that it still stalled when I selected „download all notebooks“. So I chose 3-4 at a time, set the iPads auto-off to never, and downloaded in steps. I had the iPad on a charger.

After download was done, I switched to Download-All. It works since.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an iPhone X and the app switched over to the UI earlier this week.  I'm seeing the same slow performance that is outlined in this thread.  For example, I'll go to a note and have to wait 10-15 seconds for the note details to show up.

Also, it seems searching within a note is broken.  I'll search for a term, and I can see the term highlighted in the note, but it's not showing up in the results.

This is not the user experience I expect for an app I am paying for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have also the same problem, and that's really affecting my daily routine. Recently, I realized that my mood is not OK because of the problems I am suffering with my notes.

The app is now is horribly SLOW, I takes huge amount of time to open some notes, specially the annual diaries, which are almost 15MB! 

Also, the iPhone getting noticeably warm when I open the app and the battery start draining obvious quickly, that's why I start avoiding to open the app when I'm outside.

All of that happened immediately after I updated the app in Sep 2020, I think, in which the app interface changed. I am really disappointed.

I hope the developers can solve this issue as soon as possible.

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m running EN 10.0.4 on a new IPad running iOS 13.0.7 and EN is so slow I use Bear to jot quick notes. It opens immediately, whereas EN just hangs on the elephant logo screen. Then it takes another endless minute for my selected note to open. Yes, it’s a lengthy note, but still... it shouldn’t take this long. First, I see a black screen, and finally the note content loads, followed by the note’s title, and all the while the blue edit button is flickering. It takes another chunk of time to actually get into edit mode and get to the end of the document. If I do a search to get to the end—because I put “%%%” at the end of the note so I could get there more quickly with search, it takes even longer—and then I have to cancel the search to get back into edit mode, which is longer still as I watch the edit button flicker and hope the cursor will at least be at the end of the document. Sometimes it goes to the top, or a few random paragraphs up from the end. When I  have to make quick notes on the fly, which is often the case, Evernote is no longer usable. Such waste of a subscription fee that’s giving me nothing but heartache. 

I can only say this sync to my iPhone and iPad is terrible.I change something on the Mac and nothing changes on the iOS devices. Even a new note does not sync.

If I delete the app and reinstall then all works again for about 10 minutes and stops again. Offline notebooks are a waste of time.

Something NEEDS TO BE DONE URGENTLY if they want to retain any customers.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an iPhone SE (original) running iOS 14.2. Since the app update, it's very slow. Works fine on my MacBook. I like to write text on my Mac, then open up Evernote on my iPhone to copy/paste into Instagram. Takes a long time to 1) update notes, 2) get out of a note so that it can update, 3) scroll. Often, I quit the app in hopes that it will when I relaunch.

Also, it takes several seconds for the select option to show up. When I select text, I also have to wait several seconds before the cut/copy option appears. I just counted - about 6 seconds.

• 3 weeks later...

I had previously been using Evernote successfully for years however, this new version has made synchronization of notes to my iPad INCREDIBLY slow!!😖😤 🤨😫😡

Please advise: What is the remedy for this?

(I am on Apple’s newest iPad...)