Checkbox list - carriage return doesn't auto-checkbox the next line

NRosser
Go to solution Solved by Jaya Shekarraju,

Idea

When using checkbox lists in the 10.0 version of the iOS client, doing a carriage return function no longer auto-creates a starting checkbox on the next line, as it used to. That auto-check box was very useful.

This is missing in both the iPhone and iPad clients.

• Like 1

13 replies to this idea

• Ex Employees
  • Solution

@NRosser & @s2sailor This is by design. We are trying to consolidate checklist and checkbox so that they compliment each other and don't have same functionalities. We want checklists to be more interactive and useful, so we have introduced checklists as a separate type of list (accessible next to ordered and unordered lists).

With checklist, you can easily drag-and-drop them and indent them like other lists. In addition, completed checklist items are crossed out and faded so that you can more easily see at a glance which items remain.

Because inline checkboxes could appear inline after text, we have kept them as a separate type, but we removed the list-like continuation behavior in order to emphasize that they are standalone checkboxes, in contrast to the new checklists.

image.png.e721e29ac2e661bffbf0bbaa0d7531d6.png

Look forward to hear your thoughts on it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, NRosser said:

When using checkbox lists in the 10.0 version of the iOS client, doing a carriage return function no longer auto-creates a starting checkbox on the next line, as it used to. That auto-check box was very useful.

Interesting, this works correctly for a checklist, but you are correct, not for checkboxes.  I wonder if that is by design, for some reason, or a miss?

alirght - yes, I was looking forward to the auto-crossing out process, which yes is useful. I get the idea with the intention - two different use cases, for checkbox vs checklist - so I"ll adjust accordingly and we'll see how it all works out.

I'll be curious, though, to see how the public responds to the idea of having those two separate behaviors - boxes vs lists - when the distinction between the two, you have to admit, is very thin. I know one has an X and other has the checkmark, as well as the border color differentiation, but still....the two items are really very similar in practical usage.

Interesting - we'll see how it goes.

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Jaya Shekarraju said:

With checklist, you can easily drag-and-drop them and indent them like other lists. In addition, completed checklist items are crossed out and faded so that you can more easily see at a glance which items remain.

Because inline checkboxes could appear inline after text, we have kept them as a separate type, but we removed the list-like continuation behavior in order to emphasize that they are standalone checkboxes, in contrast to the new checklists.

I was using the list-like continuation behavior for inline checkboxes for example in numerous lists for recipe ingredients: Only missing ingredients to buy on my shopping tour get activated. So I quickly can see, what's (only) missing.

If I use the newer checklist instead the things to be remembered and focussed on are crossed and faded... So here I can't more easily see at a glance which items "remain" to buy...

(Sure this can be acchieved with a simple bullet list combined mit manually inserted inline checkboxes for each item, but the former behavior was better, at least for me...)

On 9/17/2020 at 5:00 PM, Jaya Shekarraju said:

In general, I very much like this expanded functionality. I'm one who uses checkboxes quite often (in a manner similar to what you show in the screenshot). And, I think people will grow to enjoy the opportunities both checkboxes and checklists provide over time.

One piece of feedback is that it is not elegant to insert multiple checkboxes as once on iOS. I am holding out great hope that on the desktop release, a key command to insert checkboxes will exist in addition to a key commend for a checklist (this is actually really important to me). This will make me happy. Not sure what can be done on iOS to make the process of inserting multiple checkboxes faster/less steps, but if there is one, I vote for this feature improvement.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Checkboxes have to be selected for each line of text - or better type the text, select it and hit the checkbox symbol.

When the new checklist is selected, every next line will  automatically be part of the checklist, until you hit <Enter> twice.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

or better type the text, select it and hit the checkbox symbol.

You taught me something @PinkElephant....thank you! This is more definitely more efficient than what I was doing. Great tip. 

Still hoping for a key command in desktop version so that I can use the keyboard to do this, and also add multiple checkboxes on the same row (or in a table cell). 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
26 minutes ago, luckman212 said:

Checklist data is not visible at all on the macOS client? So basically a black hole if we start using it...?

Actually it is visible: displays as a bullet list with checkboxes

• Level 5
5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Actually it is visible as a bullet list with checkboxes

hmm-  that's ugly but, better than nothing.  

I see what happened now, I actually got hit with the duplicating notes bug while testing this so I was entering checklists on one note and looking at that note on my Mac not seeing the updates... until I realized that the iOS app was actually cranking out duplicates. Ugggh.  

• Level 5*
On 9/17/2020 at 5:00 PM, Jaya Shekarraju said:

We are trying to consolidate checklist and checkbox so that they compliment each other and don't have same functionalities.

So a checklist is a box repeating indented list where you can grab the bullet and move items about and it strikes through when you put a check in.  And a check box is standalone box wherever you put it and only the box changes when you put a check in.  Then strike through is particular to checklists and the check format difference is just because.  And they aren't side by side in a selection menu as to which you want.  That about it?

I have a standing list (Checkbox List?) for grocery items that I often get. Now when I check the box to tell myself to pick up an item, it automatically gets the strikethrough. I do not want this. How do I get rid of the strikethroughs? It is doing this on my entire list that I have been using for years.

Lenny Nichols