Duplicates: Multiples of the (same) note is created, when creating one note

Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

• Level 5

I have observed a flickering „edit“ Button as well, but without a duplication of the note. Since it was just irritating, but not leading to a malfunction, I have let it go without issuing a support ticket on this. I have others open and running ...

Have you issued a support ticket yet ? Writing in the forum may help, but the direct way to feed the backlog is a ticket. Since the note duplication is probably among the gravest malfunctions in the #10-release, I suppose it should get their attention.

3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Have you issued a support ticket yet ? Writing in the forum may help, but the direct way to feed the backlog is a ticket. Since the note duplication is probably among the gravest malfunctions in the #10-release, I suppose it should get their attention.

Every time I issue a support ticket, the reply I get back is a request to share a video of my screen, despite my listing all my steps in detail along with all the specifics of my hardware and software configuration. I refuse to do this, as my notes are proprietary and private and I would have to create an artificial, simulated version of my library—and whatever I happen to be googling in Safari while writing—just to video my typing in a note and then going to Safari and then returning to the note. Worse, Evernote’s behavior is often wonky and unpredictable, so it can take a while just to get it to do exactly what I described. Yes, I actually did this once, and it took a ridiculous amount of unnecessary time. I’ve worked in QA as a beta tester and I know how to document a bug so that it can be replicated by someone else. Evernote support has been very unwilling to use reporting over a screen video, and I’ve had to implore them to just follow my steps and confirm the findings. When finally they did, all I got was a “Yes, we’re aware,” response. Hopefully a lot of others, with less sensitive material in their notebooks, will take up the cause with EN SUPPORT. 

• Level 5

I have mixed experience with EN support as well. With longer experience it is probably hard for an average support rep to tell you anything new. It is up to you - but I am pretty sure the backlog is more based on support tickets than on forum posts.

You could create a notebook called „useless support mails“, collect notes with support answers and use it for screen shows, if this helps with your concern about confidential content.

• Level 5

@Amystoneus I really feel you. I've had dozens of tickets follow that same path:

Me: Hey EN, here's this bug I found, and the exact steps to reproduce it. I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling, as well as testing it on X number of other <computers/phones/etc>

EN: Thanks for reporting! Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

Me: Uhh... Did you read my original message?

EN: Thanks, please send us your logs.

Me: Sure, sent.

EN: Thanks! I forwarded your logs to our engineers. I'll close this ticket now.

Me: Wait! But I've reported this bug before, and the same thing happened, the ticket was closed and nothing ever got done. Can I at least have your bug ID or reference so I can follow up?

EN: Sorry, we don't share development timelines, but please keep checking our website for announcements! Take care, bye.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Yes, support experience is ... mixed.

I have made better experience with the support chat (which currently is down, I know).

Sometimes you can make your way to 2nd level, which usually gives better results.

The main problem (for support as well as for us users) probably was that neither support nor developers could really help with a number of known issues. First there was a company stuck in a deadlock, then they had to steal enough resources to get development of the new client generation funded. Now they are working down the tickets from the first week of the new clients release. Support ends up in a sandwich in times like this.

We should not forget that there are humans working for support. Even if we have our trouble with the product they support, we should not drop our temper on their heads. IMHO it makes life easier for all, and in the end leads to a faster reaction.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
19 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

We should not forget that there are humans working for support.

But, when we are here paying $100+ a year for this product and year after year it gets ignored and bugs pile up, that defense starts to really wear thin. Also, they shouldn't forget that WE are humans too, and spooning out the same scripted responses via support when we have taken time to carefully document/screenshot these bugs is insulting.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

Hi All,

We released an update to Evernote for iOS this weekend, Version 10.0.2, that should significantly reduce the occurrences of duplicated notes.

If you have not already, please update to Version 10.0.2, and let us know if the duplicated note issue continues to persist.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
20 minutes ago, luckman212 said:

But, when we are here paying $100+ a year for this product and year after year it gets ignored and bugs pile up, that defense starts to really wear thin. Also, they shouldn't forget that WE are humans too, and spooning out the same scripted responses via support when we have taken time to carefully document/screenshot these bugs is insulting.

Ever worked in a support role ?

Try it for a few days, and we continue talking about the experience. They do not shelf out prefabricated mails out of the blue sky, but because they are told to react with a set of standard answers first. If there is blame to be shed, go and grab management, not the poor soul at support desk 19.

Apart from this I believe no money can buy me the right to be abusive against another person. If I do not get what I feel I am entitled to, I escalate the issue to the next level, or I decide to walk away. Nobody can force me to pay for a service that does not help me with my goals. But this is no reason to loose my contenance on top of some money and time. And tell you what: By politely asking for assistance, I usually get what I need.

36 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

We released an update to Evernote for iOS this weekend, Version 10.0.2, that should significantly reduce the occurrences of duplicated notes.

If you have not already, please update to Version 10.0.2, and let us know if the duplicated note issue continues to persist.

I am not seeing note duplication from the limited testing I've done.

However, the other bugs continue to keep iOS Evernote in an unusable condition for me, so testing is fairly minimal.
(smartsheet sharing of screen shots - or really anything is problematic - and as I noticed this morning, if Evernote iOS is stuck "not syncing" and you don't notice, anything being shared via share sheet just disappears into the great digital beyond, never to be seen again).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

And the existing version should be uninstalled first.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

I don’t see an update option in App Store. (Current version - 10.0.1)

• Level 5
48 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Ever worked in a support role ?

Try it for a few days

I have worked in various support roles for the last 25 years or so. Luckily I own the business now so I don't get to just blame management or budget cuts when things suck. I directly feel the consequences by losing customers.

The problem at EN seems to be that management / marketing is thoroughly disconnected from support and engineering. When I saw the fancy new offices they built with the cafe, the gym, the lounges, huge open spaces, high ceilings, and fancy furniture, I just think - this is where the $ is going, not into paying the dev team to overhaul and put out a solid piece of software.

Telling people "just walk away if you're not happy" is like a homebuilder telling their client "Don't like the house we just built for you? Just sell it and buy a different one".

People have invested YEARS of their lives carefully curating their notes in EN. I personally have 10k+ notes spanning almost 12 years. It's not easy to walk away—believe me I would have years ago when I saw the wheels falling off.

Now the best thing I can do is just keep throwing money at them and hoping eventually someone picks up the ball over there. Or, they finally throw in the towel and force us hangers-on to finally jump.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 9/28/2020 at 9:58 AM, saffie111 said:

It’s been more than a week since I OP-ed this.

I don’t think it has improved enough with the 10.0.2 update downloaded yesterday.

To be fair, my iPhone doesn’t cause any duplication issues (but have other issues such as Notebook not showing). Currently, only taking notes on my iPad creates duplication issues. 

Please see attached screenshot for my line by line testing with different devices.

I don’t think the team is updating up regularly on this too. I plan to move to another note taking platform if this problem persists.

Thanks guys for sharing the same situation you are facing, on here. 

C0FF20C2-9A0E-42F3-9351-B4606FDF1AF7.jpeg

A3F7A70F-162B-4849-9D12-379D8D7FC328.jpeg

I take back what I said about iPhone working correctly.

Duplicate notes occurred this morning on the iPhone. Am already on 10.0.2 as well.

This is terrible.

I don't even know how to find the "correct" note to update as I go about my day now, since there are multiple options to choose from.

Hereby consider this the worst note-taking app ever.

Should go on Keep Productivity on YouTube to make them be aware of this EN bug, so other people who are interested in productivity can stay away - at least for now.

The EN CEO is just on there doing marketing and PR on there despite this storm over here. Not in good taste.

On 9/22/2020 at 10:40 AM, Taskworthy said:

I have been an Evernote user for a number of years, and this current version has to be the worst I have ever experienced relating to bugs. 
I mainly use Evernote within the IOS platform using my iPad & iPhone. 
Faults include, when editing a note the outcome is the unwanted auto creation of multiple copies of my note.  When I edit a note then return to it, my earlier edit was not found. Delays in sharing notes between my iPad & iPhone.

I agree. Premium user since 2013. And this is unusable. 

12 hours ago, Shane D. said:

@Cherice B @Praxeas @Danno321

To clarify, you are still experiencing the duplication issue for Version 10.0.2., correct?

Let me know as I'd like to gather some more information from you directly if you're still encountering this issue.

Yes. This is still a major problem for me. I am running an iPhone XS Max and a 10'5" iPad Air, both with iOS14, both with Evernote v10.0.02. Additionally, I have a 2020 Macbook Pro and Windows machine. The problem with duplicates only occurs on the two iOS devices. Reach out if you need additional info

1 hour ago, Cherice B said:

Yes. This is still a major problem for me. I am running an iPhone XS Max and a 10'5" iPad Air, both with iOS14, both with Evernote v10.0.02. Additionally, I have a 2020 Macbook Pro and Windows machine. The problem with duplicates only occurs on the two iOS devices. Reach out if you need additional info

Have you tried uninstalling the app?   After I did that (and it rebuilt indexes?) I am not having these problems.  

• Level 5

From what most users report here it was solved with rel 10.0.2. Maybe restarting the i-device helps, if possible before, or maybe after the re-install. This cleans out memory.

To get an issue, I had to force it by opening a Mac session in parallel, which caused conflicting syncs.

• Level 5

To this I agree ...

Currently I have 7 support tickets open, on other issues. It is not that I can’t work, but „good“ is different.

However I see potential in the new release, and think it can be an improvement once the bugs are sorted out.

• Administrator

Hi all,

Thank you for following up.

@Cherice B @saffie111 I'm sorry to hear that the issue has persisted. I'll be reaching out to you directly to gather more information.

@ej8899 You mentioned:

However, the other bugs continue to keep iOS Evernote in an unusable condition for me, so testing is fairly minimal.
(smartsheet sharing of screen shots - or really anything is problematic - and as I noticed this morning, if Evernote iOS is stuck "not syncing" and you don't notice, anything being shared via share sheet just disappears into the great digital beyond, never to be seen again).  

We working to address these types of issues as quickly as possible, and I'll follow-up once I have an update.

On 9/16/2020 at 10:08 PM, saffie111 said:

Hi,

I recently upgraded my Evernote version to this new version in iOS.

If I create a new note and start typing, multiple new notes with the same content will be created.

A Note Conflict message will be in the header portion of some of the new repeated notes that were created.

Full specs: I created these notes on the iPad Pro, rather than on the iPhone.

Input method: Apple Keyboard, via Bluetooth.

May I know what seems to be the problem?

Same here. The same annoying note is created again and again - every time I start the app. Doesn’t matter if I delete the old one or not. 

This sucks. The duplicate bug is NOT fixed. Just stripped EN off my iPhone 11, reinstalled V10.0.2, restarted twice and the program just posted a duplicate note. Same problem. Why would they roll this piece of ***** out. I have been with EN for many years and rely on this program both on my PC and phone. For all matters, personal and business. I ditched One Note for this, and starting to think about returning. I cannot depend on this program for two weeks now. This is not good. 

The duplicate problem most likely is related types of content in the note because if images etc the server has to process more and may not play well with iOS client code.  Is there any pattern for duplicates related to complexity of the note?

1 hour ago, Danno321 said:

The duplicate problem most likely is related types of content in the note because if images etc the server has to process more and may not play well with iOS client code.  Is there any pattern for duplicates related to complexity of the note?

Mine are always with plain text. Not even bullets, lists or tables within

Just got this back from Support

We discovered that there is still an occurrence of the duplicated notes issue that can happen in Evernote version 10.0.2. Our developers are urgently working on solving the root cause. We hope to have it resolved before the end of the week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Cherice B said:

We discovered that there is still an occurrence of the duplicated notes issue that can happen in Evernote version 10.0.2. Our developers are urgently working on solving the root cause. We hope to have it resolved before the end of the week.

Thanks for posting. I just also wanted to confirm that the issue still persists. I can also confirm that it happens when no other client is open. I even tried deleting EN, restarting my phone, reinstalling EN - still duplicate notes. My use case: Clip to EN via Sharesheet from Pocket --> Duplicate Note. 

On 9/29/2020 at 10:26 AM, Shane D. said:

Hi all,

Thank you for following up.

@Cherice B @saffie111 I'm sorry to hear that the issue has persisted. I'll be reaching out to you directly to gather more information.

@ej8899 You mentioned:

We working to address these types of issues as quickly as possible, and I'll follow-up once I have an update.

Shane, do you have any idea why 10.0.2 is not appearing in the App Store? I’m on 10.0.1 and see no update available.

Thanks.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, bluesgeek said:

Shane, do you have any idea why 10.0.2 is not appearing in the App Store? I’m on 10.0.1 and see no update available.

Thanks.

I've been seeing the same thing with updates. I've had to search for Evernote in the app store and then select it, instead of the open/get button there's an update one there..no idea why...

• Administrator
  • Solution

Hi All,

I am locking and closing this thread as we believe the 10.0.3. update should address the root cause of the duplication issue for most of the users that have reported it on this thread.

To clarify, we have seen some users report that they are still having some issues with duplicate notes after updating to version 10.0.3, but we believe the root cause of that issue is different than the one that caused this duplication issue.

In this case, I've created this thread:

For those of you on this thread that have updated to 10.0.3. already, but are still experiencing duplication issues, please post on that thread. (I'll move your posts to this new thread @Cherice B @ej8899)

Let me know if you have any other questions!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1