[Partial Feature Released in Version 10.2] Restore the legacy Tag selector / Tag filter

stocky2605
Go to solution Solved by stocky2605,

Idea

70 replies to this idea

• Solution

it seems this long requested feature found it‘s way to the Evernote app - in a different way, but, what a big surprise to me!

I just tapped on the search (magnifying glass) and entered a tag, it was recognized quickly, I tapped on it, the tag was added to the search filter. So far so good.

Now (!), tap again on the magnifying glass, and boom, you can see a list of suggestions (tags, content types, etc.) - and, finally - I can see a *complete* list of tags used by the current list of notes! select a tag and just tap again on the mag. glass and the list of tags gets updated, as expected!

And, in addition, finally, the „include sub tags“ is working correctly now on iOS, too - I raised a bug ticket a few days ago!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Please restore the filter bar at the top of the note list; it was dropped in V10.0
The previous version included a text search box and tag filter1340174663_ScreenShot2020-09-16at11_28_05PM.png.6c15cc091af44d6b716da2412fc34d72.png
(thanks @stocky2605)

The current version isIMG_3727.jpeg.819bbce722a3c3482daec2bd7e51509f.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I completely agree with @stocky2605.  Tag filtering was an essential feature for how I organized my notes.  This allowed me to select multiple tags, which narrowed down my list of notes.  Selecting a tab from the menu on the left is not the same as filtering a list of notes.  This was a huge loss with the new iOS and a core part of my daily workflow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I am also a user of this feature. In my case I have a notebook as a library where I have technical documents classified by tags that I use in my work.

Memorizing or keeping a separate note on the assigned labels in a notebook to remember them all would be a "legitimate headache"! and a complete rollback my workflow. ☹

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, DTLow said:

That's the tag list - it shows all tags in the account,

The Tag Selector was in the Note Filter at the top of the note list
It's a filtered list of tags; just of tags in the note list

Exactly, for example, same feature that the stable version of Evernote Windows has:

image.png.46ec83351832baf96caf26ce15df4195.png

Only the tags used in the notebook are visible here. This was previously owned by Evernote iOS.

I handle many tags, how will I know which ones are being used within a notebook to filter specifically? It is impossible! 😣

• Like 4
  • Ex Employees

Hello all, thanks for this feedback.

This is definitely in our plans - we are working on implementing more powerful filtering capabilities (for tags and more). This will come in a future update.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I want to back what’s being said here. The tag filter has been a key function for me. A simple example: what recipes use X ingredient(s). If an all-notebooks search function is all you’ve got, I don’t need Evernote - any database’ll do. Without tag filters, I’ll have to find another app. jft

• Like 1

Totally agree.  We need the ability to filter notes by tags back.  I relied very heavily on that feature. Also as someone also pointed out, clipping from webbrowser or using the “share” button to move content to evernote in IOS doesn’t allow you to add tags anymore.  Need these features back ASAP 

• Like 1

Tag filtering is now worst than before, or non-existing, as it forces you to do a search from the search menu. 

In addition, it used to be fluid, showing only the tags that were available as new filters were added. Now you have to think, remember and search manually one tag that may be compatible with the previous tags added or may not. Being possible that you don’t find any note.

Bad news for productivity in a productivity app and service. 

Please, try to improve this feature. Taking back the old procedure, for example. 

• Like 1
On 11/10/2020 at 11:09 AM, stocky2605 said:

there is no risk, because you can run both, the legacy and the new version, on your Mac - I wouldn‘t run them parallel because of possible risks of sync collisions, but you‘re able to start V10, find out how it works for you, quit, start the Legacy version, and so on...

just do a search for „download evernote legacy“ in the forum - should work. Hopefully 🙂

Thank you! I just went back to Legacy version... what a relief! Legacy version (windows) also lets you change certain options as well - like the annoying default of selecting all child tags. 

• Like 1

The Evernote version (as of Nov. 23, 2020) I'm daily struggling with how Tags are accessed, edited, or added to individual notes. My workflow has been slowed down quite a bit. Tagging for us has always been built for speed & is one of thE most important aspects of Evernote. What if us, Evernote users could customize our note menus? Even clicking "more" or "insert" you won't find Tag options. But thank you to the EN Developers who continue to make Evernote a daily life & work tool.

• Like 1

Also what happened to preferences????? I used to be able to change the default setting when I select a stack of tags - I dont want to filter for notes that have all the tags within that stack. I used the nested tags to organize my notes, and the header tag is used to store notes that have not yet been assigned to any of the sub-tags. Does anyone else find this hindering to the workflow? 

The feature used to be "Automatically select child tags". All I had to do was to uncheck it, now I cant. 

I know I can x-out all the selected tagged except the one that I am interested in, but this is many extra clicks to get to where I want to be by default. 

Did this issue ever get resolved?

Evernote's tagging facilities are the single reason that I continued to use it for my personal needs despite my employer moving to Office365 and using OneNote exclusively.

With the prior Windows versions of the Evernote app, I was able to select multiple notes and filter the tag editor to show only those tags that were in use in one or more notes, which made note management so much simpler. In that version, my tagging workflow was as follows.

1. Take care to edit a single note with the appropriate tags.
  2. Select other related notes.
  3. Open the tag editor and filter it to show only the tags in use across all of the selected notes.
  4. Apply currently selected tags to all notes.

With the current Windows version that I'm using (shown below), Step #3 (shown above) is no longer available to me.

10.13.4-win-ddl-public (2607)
Editor: v123.0.15939
Service: v1.34.4
© 2019 - 2021 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

Now, to accomplish the same workflow, I have to tediously scroll through, literally, over 1,000 carefully curated tags to see which ones are in use. As if that task is not already difficult enough, my tags are in hierarchies, and the current tag editor does not even expand the hierarchies containing nested tags that are in use.

I do not understand how a company could disable one of the flagship features of its product, specifically the single most important one that distinguishes said product from its competitors. Literally, right after sending this email, I am going to cancel my Evernote subscription autorenewal. Also, until this feature is restored, I will not be creating any new notes in Evernote. Instead, I'll use OneNote while simultaneously looking for some way to migrate my Evernote content.

Many corporate employees are forced by their employer to use Microsoft OneNote at work. By taking away one of Evernote's most critical distinguishing features, the Evernote Corporation is accelerating migration from Evernote to OneNote.

• Like 2
On 7/10/2021 at 1:49 PM, Busgero said:

Maybe I am wrong, but it seems it is possible to filter only by tags used in a specific notebook. 

1. Select the notebook
  2. Click in the searchbar
  3. Add the filter for your previously selected notebook (should be shown directly under the search input field)
  4. Other - for this notebook possible - filters are proposed
  5. Only tags are shown which are set in this notebook 

This approach only shows 9 of the tags in the selected notebook. If the number of tags in the selected notebook is greater than 9, it won't show them all. 

• Like 1

Almost a year later I still get email notifications for some topics here from time to time and think it's crazy that these features are still not implemented again. While I am gladly not using Evernote any longer, I still want to chime in to say that it's highly annoying how @PinkElephant still tries to deflect and gaslight other users into thinking they are an outlier of a singluar percentage of users, who use more than 9 tags to filter a notebook 😂.

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, it is mine that the user in question generalizes his use case in an apologetic or cognitively biased way to downplay the fact that this feature existed for years. Similar software like Keep It or DEVONthink also doesn't have this arbitrary filter limitation. While I personally use around 160 tags and realize that this might be more than some other users have, 9 tags is, quite frankly, little to nothing, and quite the opposite of an "extreme" use case.

I'm left wondering why Evernote built this feature (that is still available in legacy) some 10 years ago 🤔.

• Like 2

I agree this is a huge step back.

It seems that the editor stuff has been a priority for Evernote developers for so long now that basic workflow features are missing. The ability to filter a notebook view (or all notes) by tag is crucial for anyone who uses more than like 10 tags. As mentioned by others, search or even saved searches can't replace this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Same thing here. This could be the final reason for me to sh*t on Evernote. I am user since 2008. I have grown structures that have been organized with tags. It's now impossible to find what I am looking for.

I am extremely pissed. Really. I understand that you somehow messed up your dev team so that it takes 2 years to redesign your apps to allow basic features. As I said, I can understand that. What I cannot understand is why you take away features, that do not harm anyone, just because someone thought it would be nicer this way.

The next thing is: You already demonstrated that giving you feedback, even begging for features is completely useless as you most likely don't care (different highlight colors, lol. Was asked for since 7 years. So maybe in 10 years we get back the tag list feature. Great). 

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
26 minutes ago, Travis Huber said:

You should find the tag browser in the menu on the bottom left.  

That's the tag list - it shows all tags in the account,

The Tag Selector was in the Note Filter at the top of the note list
It's a filtered list of tags; just tags in the note list

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Travis Huber said:

Hi there and thanks for checking out the new Evernote for iOS.  You should find the tag browser in the menu on the bottom left.  

image.png.f5d31ce3dc3b972b51f2a0171eb648ac.png

Does that help or have I misunderstood the issue?

your question gives me bad feelings - have you ever been using the Tag filter? see my snapshot of my initial posting. As mentioned by others, you are pointing the Tag LIST - we‘re missing the Tag FILTER (and Reminders FILTER) from the previous versions.

This is MANDATORY, since Tags are the core of Evernote.

What about improving the search dialog: not only show a suggestion for Tags but show all Tags used by the current list of notes.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
11 minutes ago, CalS said:

@stocky2605

Does my post above help?  Looks like we posted at the same time. 

@CalS

unfortunately no, because the list of shown Tags is just a suggestion (I assume based on amount of notes having a particular Tag) - it‘s not a full list of Tags used by selected Notes.

I‘ve shared a Notebook with my wife and she is already complaining about the missing Tag filter - how could she know what Tags I‘m using if not shown in the list of suggested Tags?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Please add "Filter by Tag" to the menu when clicking on a tag at the top of the note list968015181_ScreenShot2020-09-20at9_15_22AM.png.ec29c5079a5979a6cac1f947f07cd5fc.png
(screenshot from a Mac)

This is the tag equivalent of 2197A06F-2F3C-476C-9BF9-DFE229C6638D.jpeg.56ac0115a21c875b94d2c2b38b567486.jpeg available by clicking on the notebook

@annahHi, any update to this? the current implementation of tag filter showing ALL tags is really driving me and my team crazy. It's so boring to select a tag and see, there is no note available tagged with that tag - why is it then shown in the Tag filter??? (I know, because current implementation show just ALL tags and not those, in use -> please change this back to the well known behavior of legacy version.

This is a problem on all my platforms (iOS, Mac OS, Web).

• Like 1

Hello :)

Just to be sure i'm talking of the same feature : if i select a tag : i have list of all notes with this tag, ok. 

If i want to display only notes with this tag and one or several others : with v6 : i click on "tag filter" button and only the tags presents in the displayed list are displayed.

With v10  : all the tags of "all" my notes are displayed :(

So yes, i also miss a lot the tag filter in v10. It is essential for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, nonobio said:

Hello :)

Just to be sure i'm talking of the same feature : if i select a tag : i have list of all notes with this tag, ok. 

If i want to display only notes with this tag and one or several others : with v6 : i click on "tag filter" button and only the tags presents in the displayed list are displayed.

With v10  : all the tags of "all" my notes are displayed :(

So yes, i also miss a lot the tag filter in v10. It is essential for me.

have you voted for this? Thanks.

Hi there and thanks for checking out the new Evernote for iOS.  You should find the tag browser in the menu on the bottom left.  

• Level 5*

What I found is that if you start typing a tag name in the search bar it will appear as an option which you can select.  Then when you press in the search bar again other tags used in notes with that tag appear.  Kind of like the select tag list In Windows search.  You do need to know the name of a tag though. 

Problem for me is you can’t sort the list of notes.  Useless without that. 

EDIT:  The complete list of secondary tags is NOT displayed so it is NOT like tag selector on Windows search.  May work with small lists. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Oh well, sorry about that.  I don’t have that many tags per note on average but it seemed to work.  Just checked with my $tatement tag and you are right, the full list of tags from notes that contain $tatement do not appear.  

And it takes entering $tat to get the tag to appear. It’s unique starting with $ so why 4 characters I wonder. 

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, CalS said:

Oh well, sorry about that.  I don’t have that many tags per note on average but it seemed to work.  Just checked with my $tatement tag and you are right, the full list of tags from notes that contain $tatement do not appear.  

And it takes entering $tat to get the tag to appear. It’s unique starting with $ so why 4 characters I wonder. 

One possible explanation could would be avoiding updating the search on every single litter, This would even be a bigger issue if the 10.0 version would conduct and update the search for suggests by primarily connecting to the evernote-servers in the www rather than to first search local.

The more I look at the complains about bad performance and slower actions the more I suspect evernote might have changed a bit to this kind of webdriven application service providing idea. (just take some fotos with evernote and upload them all at once. Instead of an immediately updated note with your pics to sync you have to wait rather long for getting an allready updated and synced note with pictures...)

Once I select a tag and get all the notes with the selected tag, I am attempting to sort the notes (by title, date created, date updates). I am unable to do so in the new update. 

I tried to change the sorting order before selecting the tag. Once I select the tag it goes back to sorting by date updated rather than the sorting order I picked (such as by note title).

• Thanks 1

Same here. For me, they are not even in order of date updated - it appears to be a random order. Selecting a sort order after selecting tagged notes is clearly essential functionality which appears to have been overlooked.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, DTLow said:

We have an assortment of highlight colours, lol941E2293-8A8B-4E39-BDBF-CF16C21B8867.jpeg.5eafa6563c099066cc5e2536575fa0bd.jpeg

I know that we have this now and I appreciate it.

My point was: How long did it take from Feature Request to implementation? 6 years? 7 years?

So if Evernote tells now that the removed tag list is on the development roadmap it helps me personally nothing. 

I also noticed that when adding notes from webpages on safari, you can no longer add tags. These missing features show a complete lack of understanding about how users manage their notes. If a tag just gets you to a list of notes, it isn’t that different from a notebook. 

• Like 2
On 9/17/2020 at 11:45 AM, Talsaleh said:

Once I select a tag and get all the notes with the selected tag, I am attempting to sort the notes (by title, date created, date updates). I am unable to do so in the new update. 

I tried to change the sorting order before selecting the tag. Once I select the tag it goes back to sorting by date updated rather than the sorting order I picked (such as by note title).

I really like much about the latest version.  But this makes a big difference for me.  I relied on being able to sort notes in different ways (for example, I would number and re-number notes with a 'to do' tag every day as priorities changed).  It seems possible to do this still if you're using notebooks to organise notes.  But I use tags for almost everything.

• Level 5*
On 9/17/2020 at 3:45 AM, Talsaleh said:

I am attempting to sort the notes (by title, date created, date updates). I am unable to do so in the new update. 

Separate issue - posted here

Another vote for the restoration of the tag filter at the top of a Notebook view and for the All Notes view.

I specifically used tags to easily find sets of Notes. It is a huge impact to productivity not being able to filter a Notebook view by one or more tags. The new Search feature does Not provide the same desired capability.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I see it right, you can't filter by a keyword from a note. When I tap on a keyword in the upper right corner, there is no option to filter by this keyword. This is a pity!

@stocky2605 I just tried your tip on clicking the tag in a note (Windows 10) and it puts the focus on the tag and associated notes, ignoring the context of the original search. Having said that, it seems that Evernote implemented a feature that is neither search focused nor a relevant way of filtering notes, just some method of wandering through your notes.
  • Like 1
On 9/17/2020 at 12:48 AM, Travis Huber said:

@Travis Huberwhy is this marked as „solution“ in the forum? We all know there is this so called „Tag Filter“ menu, sure, but this feature is just providing a full list of all Tags stored in the Evernote database - not those, currently in use by selected notes only.

Example: you can select a Tag and see a „no notes found“ because not a single note was tagged with that Tag - so, why is this Tag shown in the filter??

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
47 minutes ago, Alec Barron said:

Does anyone know if some of these same issues exist in Evernote 10 for mac?

Evernote/Mac has a filter option as per the screenshot1501296200_ScreenShot2020-11-10at8_53_13AM.png.03117f997dc2b15875f8ab4497849f74.png

It presents a full tag list (not filtered)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Alec Barron said:

Does anyone know if some of these same issues exist in Evernote 10 for mac?  I'm scared to download the thing because of the feature gaps around tags in the iOS version.

there is no risk, because you can run both, the legacy and the new version, on your Mac - I wouldn‘t run them parallel because of possible risks of sync collisions, but you‘re able to start V10, find out how it works for you, quit, start the Legacy version, and so on...

just do a search for „download evernote legacy“ in the forum - should work. Hopefully 🙂

• Like 3
  • Level 5

Hi All,

I wanted to provide an update.

In 10.2,  we've added the “Filter notes” screen to Search Results. 

See the full release notes here:

We'll continue work to add features that you're looking for.

Thank you!

Maybe I am wrong, but it seems it is possible to filter only by tags used in a specific notebook. 

1. Select the notebook
  2. Click in the searchbar
  3. Add the filter for your previously selected notebook (should be shown directly under the search input field)
  4. Other - for this notebook possible - filters are proposed
  5. Only tags are shown which are set in this notebook 
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

„Only 9 Tags“ …

Personally I think that for any but the most theoretical uses a maximum of 9 tags is more than sufficient.

If you really need more, split the request in 2, or use the advanced search syntax instead of the click-and-filter approach.

• Level 5

Your use case - I don‘t think that there is even a singular percentage of users who use that many.

Usually GUIs are not build for users who take a feature like Tags to extremes.

No problem with requesting more - but I doubt there will be a change.

sorry, on the road - the difference is (if I remember right): before this change (even not sure when it happened) we saw only suggestions regarding tags, there were even tags listed, not assigned (it seemed just a somehow stupid suggestion) to a note - now, the suggestions are no longer suggestions, these are tags used by the current list of notes.

I see exactly the same behaviour on my Mac using search - the suggestions are much stronger, or better, it's not longer a suggestion, is just a list of tags, content filters, etc, used by the current list of notes - so you're realy able to narrow down your search by just tapping on the tags, content filters, etc.

Maybe this change was implemented on the server side of Evernote and is available on all clients now.