Jump to content
Ian Patterson

ANSWERED Lost Data With the new V10 App on Ipad and IPhone

Recommended Posts

I’ve just installed the latest app on my ipad. The App is v10, my ipad is on the GM release of IpadOS14 instlalled yesterday..

I had dozens of notes that hadn’t synched (I’m currently a basic user, considering whether or not I’ll stick with Evernote after using it for 11 years or so). They were locally on my ipad, waiting for synch. All of them have gone.

The same has now happened to a similar set of notes on my iphone. 

I seem to have lost all my unsynched notes on both platforms. They were perfectly happy sitting there earlier this morning prior to the v10 upgrade.

They’re not in Trash.

I’ve lost about 6 weeks worth of notes, maybe more. 

(btw - a separate once you go into the Trash folder I can’t find a way to get out of it without killing the app. There/s no sign of an option that gets you back to your notes or notebooks)

I would raise a ticket - as Help tells me to. Unfortunately I can’t find a way to do it. None of the searches actually take me to a page that allows me to enter a bug, or to email you.

Share this post


Link to post

Having notes of 6 weeks sitting in the app, unsynced ...

For everybody a general notice, for all apps: Make sure all content is synced before you hit the update button ! This is not EN specific, it is the same with other note taking apps, to do lists, grocery lists, activity logs, ... any update will most likely clear out any cache existing in an app, and this will lead to a loss of unsynced content.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Evernote imposes a 60MB/mo limit on synching on Basic account holders. I have been Premium for years, but was in process of considering my future itd the App. Notes that hadn’t synched weren’t “notes in a cache”,  they were fresh data waiting permission to synch, which is a whole different ball game. 

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Having notes of 6 weeks sitting in the app, unsynced ...

For everybody a general notice, for all apps: Make sure all content is synced before you hit the update button ! This is not EN specific, it is the same with other note taking apps, to do lists, grocery lists, activity logs, ... any update will most likely clear out any cache existing in an app, and this will lead to a loss of unsynced content.

and a daily backup, at least, could help, as well...

Share this post


Link to post

UPDATE: I did nothing, but my missing 52 notes from September have reappeared after a bit over an hour, and the remaining discrepancy between Mac and iPad/iPhone may be due to the Mac including read-only/"Shared with Me" notes.

I seem to have lost ALL notes since 9/1/2020 when updating Evernote on only my iPhone.

Having read this thread first, I ensured that Mac, iPad, and iPhone were all synced. (I then backed up all 26,000+ notes onto external disk as .enex on Mac.) Then I installed the Evernote update on iPhone.

On iPhone, I have notes ordered by most-recent-updated first. Four notes that I believe were from earlier this year appeared at the top. All have the green "needs synchronization" triangle icon visible. Immediately following them are my notes up through 8/31/2020. The 52 notes I had from 9/1 until now are NOT present.

On Mac and iPad, after resynchronization, the four spurious notes appear with "Updated: Sep 16, 2020" and are followed by the "missing" notes from September, including those I had added (and synched) before installing the Evernote update on iPhone.

I am holding off installing the new app on iPad for obvious reasons. This is NOT good.

ETA: viewing "All Notes", selecting all on Mac shows 26,484, iPhone shows 26,297, and iPad shows 26,488, so evidently Mac is missing 4 and iPhone is missing 191 compared with iPad. Why? Mac version is 7.14 (latest), iPhone is 10.0 (110644), and iPad is 8.24.6.370571.

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, rdj999 said:

ETA: viewing "All Notes", selecting all on Mac shows 26,484, iPhone shows 26,297, and iPad shows 26,488, so evidently Mac is missing 4 and iPhone is missing 191 compared with iPad. Why? Mac version is 7.14 (latest), iPhone is 10.0 (110644), and iPad is 8.24.6.370571

Do you know if the note count matched up before the installation?  Mine is usually off.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Do you know if the note count matched up before the installation?  Mine is usually off.

No, despite taking care with backups, syncing, and updates, I didn't have the presence of mind to compare note counts across devices. But Mac and iPad are off by just one, so the roughly 190 difference with the updated iPhone installation are concerning.

Missing 52 notes updated since 9/1 from iPhone suggests Evernote may have changed something about background/cloud storage, but the 139 unaccounted-for is troubling. I do see exactly 85 notes in Trash on all three installations, and they seem to be the same notes (checking beginning and end).

I suppose I could try deleting the new Evernote from iPhone and reinstalling Version 10 to see whether resyncing all the notes might "correct" the issue, but I'd like to wait for word from Evernote before doing something like that. The "upgrade" action when I first launched it after installation took just a few seconds, so it couldn't have gone through all the notes the previous version had cached on that devices.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, rdj999 said:

Missing 52 notes updated since 9/1 from iPhone suggests Evernote may have changed something about background/cloud storage, but the 139 unaccounted-for is troubling. I do see exactly 85 notes in Trash on all three installations, and they seem to be the same notes (checking beginning and end).

Ok, I was thinking that maybe it was a trash difference between devices and you answered that.  The note difference is concerning.  Do you have offline notebooks on your iPhone?  Those can take a while to download and maybe that could be messing up the note totals.  Just guessing.  Thanks for reporting and let us know if you learn anything new.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Ok, I was thinking that maybe it was a trash difference between devices and you answered that.  The note difference is concerning.  Do you have offline notebooks on your iPhone?  Those can take a while to download and maybe that could be messing up the note totals.  Just guessing.  Thanks for reporting and let us know if you learn anything new.

No offline notes that I'm aware of, but that would be a factor only if the other two installations had offline notes**. It's the iPhone (version 10) that now has fewer. I've subscribed to this thread and will keep an eye out. Kinda wish I had been part of the beta, because this is just the sort of thing I would routinely test*. :) Let me know if there's any other way I can help.

* Not intended as a "swipe". I fully realize these things can be a lot more complicated than they might seem.

** Just realized I had a brain ***** there. Nevermind!

Share this post


Link to post
52 minutes ago, rdj999 said:

I seem to have lost ALL notes since 9/1/2020 when updating Evernote on only my iPhone.

Having read this thread first, I ensured that Mac, iPad, and iPhone were all synced. (I then backed up all 26,000+ notes onto external disk as .enex on Mac.) Then I installed the Evernote update on iPhone.

On iPhone, I have notes ordered by most-recent-updated first. Four notes that I believe were from earlier this year appeared at the top. All have the green "needs synchronization" triangle icon visible. Immediately following them are my notes up through 8/31/2020. The 52 notes I had from 9/1 until now are NOT present.

On Mac and iPad, after resynchronization, the four spurious notes appear with "Updated: Sep 16, 2020" and are followed by the "missing" notes from September, including those I had added (and synched) before installing the Evernote update on iPhone.

I am holding off installing the new app on iPad for obvious reasons. This is NOT good.

ETA: viewing "All Notes", selecting all on Mac shows 26,484, iPhone shows 26,297, and iPad shows 26,488, so evidently Mac is missing 4 and iPhone is missing 191 compared with iPad. Why? Mac version is 7.14 (latest), iPhone is 10.0 (110644), and iPad is 8.24.6.370571.

Ouch! Thats sounds different to mine - not least because you’re a Premium user. I hope you’ve raised a ticket etc, and get your data back.

In my case, Evernote have enabled my account to synch, and so my notes *appear* to be still there, and reappear as the synch catches up. So they must have been hidden on my Ipad by the Upgrade in some way, but not deleted. Will see if they’re all there, but looking ok so far. Hopefully my iphone is similar when I try that later. 

(Separately, I do wish Evernote had some kind of comparison tool to find those differing notes between devices - I’ve never had all my devices with the same number each time Ive bothered to check over the years, and with around 40000 notes, I’m not off to check manually) 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Ian Patterson said:

Ouch! Thats sounds different to mine - not least because you’re a Premium user. I hope you’ve raised a ticket etc, and get your data back.

In my case, Evernote have enabled my account to synch, and so my notes *appear* to be still there, and reappear as the synch catches up. So they must have been hidden on my Ipad by the Upgrade in some way, but not deleted. Will see if they’re all there, but looking ok so far. Hopefully my iphone is similar when I try that later. 

(Separately, I do wish Evernote had some kind of comparison tool to find those differing notes between devices - I’ve never had all my devices with the same number each time Ive bothered to check over the years, and with around 40000 notes, I’m not off to check manually) 

For clarity, my data is still present on the older versions on both Mac and iPad, so I didn't lose anything. The September notes just aren't present on Version 10 on iPhone. Nevertheless, I took a follow-up backup of just those 52 notes on Mac in case they "diskappear". But for now, I'm staying put with the new one on iPhone alone in case I notice any other behaviors that might help diagnose this.

I haven't yet opened a ticket. Betting they have their hands full right now!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, rdj999 said:

For clarity, my data is still present on the older versions on both Mac and iPad, so I didn't lose anything. The September notes just aren't present on Version 10 on iPhone.

Not knowing what syncing is required when the new version is installed, maybe some time is needed for the new installation to stabilize?  Maybe wait a day or two to see if it changes and then open a ticket if it doesn't.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Ian Patterson said:

Ouch! Thats sounds different to mine - not least because you’re a Premium user. I hope you’ve raised a ticket etc, and get your data back.

In my case, Evernote have enabled my account to synch, and so my notes *appear* to be still there, and reappear as the synch catches up. So they must have been hidden on my Ipad by the Upgrade in some way, but not deleted. Will see if they’re all there, but looking ok so far. Hopefully my iphone is similar when I try that later. 

(Separately, I do wish Evernote had some kind of comparison tool to find those differing notes between devices - I’ve never had all my devices with the same number each time Ive bothered to check over the years, and with around 40000 notes, I’m not off to check manually) 

I can search the .enex file exported from the Mac for lines beginning with "<note><title>", and if there were a similar way to export from iPhone/iPad, you could just compare those two (text) files to see the differences. (I assume you could do the same with Evernote for Windows.)

I found an explanation for the apparent discrepancy between Mac and iPhone/iPad note counts; see below.

1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

Not knowing what syncing is required when the new version is installed, maybe some time is needed for the new installation to stabilize?  Maybe wait a day or two to see if it changes and then open a ticket if it doesn't.

I'm good now! My issue seems to have resolved itself, but I'll detail what I've since noticed in my situation.

It seems the 52 September notes I was missing have resurfaced on my iPhone (version 10) as you suggested, so instead of a 190 or so difference with the Mac, the difference is down to around 140 (but see below).

As I did not record tallies before upgrading my iPhone, I cannot say whether that discrepancy existed prior to updating it to version 10 HOWEVER... I just updated Evernote on iPad to version 10. Before the update, it had 26,491 notes. After the update, it has 26,347, the same as on the iPhone, and my notes from September are present there as well.

So now, the note counts are:

  • Mac All Notes: 26,487 notes (it doesn't display a count, but a select-all yields "26487 notes selected (including read-only notes)")
  • iPhone (version 10) All Notes: 26,347
  • iPad (version 10) All Notes: 26,347 notes
  • Web All Notes: 26,272 notes

There is now a difference of 140 notes between iPhone/iPad and Mac, but that coincides with presumably read-only Shared with Me notes. On my Mac, those total 140 – so that means Mac, iPad, and iPhone now seem to have consistent note counts. Only the web view has an unexplained difference: 75 fewer there than on iPad/iPhone, but I'm okay with that.

Thanks for the feedback, all!

(Interestingly, on iPhone/iPad, "Shared with Me" contains only a single shared note. The other 139 are in shared folders which appear on Mac only, not on iPhone or iPad.)
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

@rdj999 Glad to hear that you worked out the difference.  I just took a leap of faith and installed it as well.  I looked at the note count before doing do and the new installation is different by 4 notes.  Two are old inbox notes that I've had problems with and just ignore.  I haven't dug into this to find the others, but it is close enough for me 🙂 . I'm not a heavy iPhone EN user.  I use it mainly for lookup, but so far so good and I do like the search enhancements.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Hi All,

First, @rdj999 We’re very glad to hear @AgnesP was able to help you resolve the missing data issue through a support ticket!

For everyone else - in some cases, particularly for those with large accounts, it can take up to ~5 minutes for all notes to appear.

If you’re still noticing issues with missing notes or data after that period of time, please let us know!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

@rdj999 Hi, glad it improved. You could compare to the web client, which is the source for all mobile devices.

The Mac runs its own data base. So if it is off, there might be a syncing issue between the Mac and the server. You could make a backup of your local EN data base folder (look up where the data base is located, stop EN, copy the data base to another folder, rename it, restart EN).

Then to force a sync, hold down the opt/alt key before clicking on the sync icon. This will force the 2 data bases on the web and on your drive to get twins again. The web serves as master - thus the local backup before, in case something gets lost.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

...Then to force a sync, hold down the opt/alt key before clicking on the sync icon...

Thank you, but holding down Opt/Alt and clicking the sync icon seems to have no effect on Evernote for Mac version 7.14 (458244 Direct) (nor do shift keys affect File > Sync).

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Sorry, try alt/opt plus shift, then click on sync.

Thought I had tried all the chord combinations! 😐 That's better, now it's thinking long and hard.

Share this post


Link to post

While looking like it will become a good app one the development is fit-for-purpose, v10 on ipados14 is very buggy indeed and clearly has not been rigorously tested. It is currently a beta version. I will not open it again until undated as I am fearful of deviant sync from flaky migration of note to v10, and the risk destroying my last several days work as other users have reported.

ps tell those AGILE ideologues that they are reputation destroyers, and make sure proper testing is undertaken before an alpha release... this v10 makes you look bad (even though the deign and function intent looks really good - if you can get it to work as intended).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...