Additional Features for Narrowing of the Search {追加で欲しい検索の絞り込み機能について}

MakWada

Idea

Additional Features for Narrowing of the Search {追加で欲しい検索の絞り込み機能について} (Please note that things within {   } are translated Japanese)

I should be able to find Evernote stored information much more easily then doing a Google search over the entire web. 

Currently you can only narrow the search by specifying the following {現状の絞り込み機能について}

However it would be nice to be able to narrow the search by specifying the fields that already exist in Evernote's note info (at search level):

• Narrowing the search by matched string in Author {作成者}
    (When I say matched string, I mean ... search for "Smith" and you get "John Smith", "Will Smith")
  • Narrowing the search by matched string in URL {URL}
  • Narrowing the search by matched string in Last Edited by {最終編集者}
  • Narrowing the search by specifying the time span for Created {作成日時}
    (i.e. 20151218-20200912)
  • Narrowing the search by specifying the time span for Updated {更新日時}
    (i.e. 20151218-20200912)

Furthermore, it would be nice to have the following narrowing search feature:

• Narrowing the search to just notes that are public {共有ノートに限定した検索}
  • Narrowing the search to just matched string of the filename of the attached resource {添付ファイル名のみの検索}
    (I know you can narrow narrow the search to notes with has attachments by specifying resource:*)
  • Even allowing an option for narrowing the search to just matched string of the filename of within the attached compressed resource (i.e. zip)
    {圧縮ファイル内のファイル名 (例: zipファイル内のファイル名) を検索するオプションも含めて}
  • Allow or ignore casing (lowercase vs uppercase) during searching with strings {大文字・小文字のを区別するかしないかのオプション}
    (So if I search for "Smith" with ignored casing then I will get "John Smith", "Will Smith", and "Aerosmith")

FYI: I am using a Japanese version of Evernote for Windows (6.25.1.9091 (309091) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954)

• Like 1

13 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, MakWada said:

You can not specify timespan or before a certain date.
i.e. created:20151218-20200912 (between 20151218-20200912 [timespan inclusive])

image.thumb.png.ef9ec94ce32f75394c2dd216f9e87638.png

updated:-20200912                 (before 20200912 [inclusive])

image.png.bd8c32abf674dbac7ab1d2a935fa1f70.png

You cannot specify URL like
i.e. url:*.amazon.co.jp*

image.thumb.png.43ff339ee38dee0588a760c18db92463.png

• Like 3
  • Level 5

The advanced search syntax is in the EN support pages, among other stuff about searching and more. You find them here:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/categories/10681-Using-Evernote

EN does not support real Boolean search. But the available options allow something pretty similar. In the end we are talking about a base note count in the thousands (or maybe tens of thousands). So if search can narrow it down to a selection of say 5-10 notes, the user can usually pick the right one faster than to start another search.

If you need something frequently, you can

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 9/24/2020 at 10:40 PM, MakWada said:

Where do you (CalS) get all these useful information? I see your replies everywhere (not just mine). I am really grateful for sharing your knowledge with me.

You are welcome.  My "knowledge" comes from the EN documentation, these forums, my own trial and error, and  having worked with EN for 10+ years doing what I can to streamline my workflow. 

Some answers to your other questions.  Going forward I would recommend that you review the documentation and then create some dummy notes and do some trial and error for the kinds of searches you want to do.  If you get stumped come on back.  ;)  

Narrowing the search by matched string in Last Edited by {最終編集者}

Don't know.  There is an updated (date) field which should work like created.  Typically I don't search with undated date ranges. 

Narrowing the search to just matched string of the filename of the attached resource

Just type the filename with quotes, "filenameofattchedresource".

Even allowing an option for narrowing the search to just matched string of the filename of within the attached compressed resource

Doesn't exist to my knowledge and I'm doubtful it will.  Also, best I can tell only benefit to having a zip file in EN is as a place to store it.  I don't think the contents are indexed.  Sometimes folks (me included) put the file in a cloud service and put a link to the file in a note.

Allow or ignore casing (lowercase vs uppercase) during searching with strings {大文字・小文字のを区別するかしないかのオプション}
(So if I search for "Smith" with ignored casing then I will get "John Smith", "Will Smith", and "Aerosmith")

Looks like you are looking for more in string search than case.  EN only searches from the beginning of the string.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 9/12/2020 at 3:39 AM, MakWada said:

more easily then doing a Google search over the entire web

It's not possible to find anything in your own account by a general web search.  An internal search is required...

@gazumped Thank you for your comments below and sorry for misleading you.

On 9/15/2020 at 5:21 AM, gazumped said:

It's not possible to find anything in your own account by a general web search.  An internal search is required...

I understand that my personal notes won't be shown publicly and thus unable to be Google searched.
Having said that, a lot of my notes are clippings (without specifying a notebook to store or attaching a tag) from the web which I Googled for.
So what I wanted to say was the following:

I should be able to find Evernote stored information much more easily (much more smaller search space) then doing a Google search again over the entire web for the (clipped) original.

Just out of curiosity, if it is a note from a shared notebook, then is its notes within the scope (reach) of Google search?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  I'm still not sure I understand the situation here - if you have a clipped cutting on "quantum entanglement",  a search via Evernote for Web,  or the installed desktop client for that phrase  will find that clipping fairly easily.  I was actually slightly wrong in my previous reply too - Evernote can search your own account at the same time a general web search is going on - From Web Clipper Options, check or uncheck 'Show Evernote content related to my web searches' and Google, Bing & other search engines will show general search results alongside the search term(s) on your own notes. 

If you search the account separately and find your note,  it should show the original ULR from which the note was clipped so you can go direct to that page if necessary.

A note shared between notebooks is still safe behind Evernote's private accounts firewall,  so is not visible to searches unless one of the account holders has publicly shared the note so that anyone with the URL will be able to access it.  Even then it takes time for a web page to be indexed,  and a single note could find itself ranked behind 999 other pages of search hits.

Unless someone invests some time and effort into publicising the link it will remain effectively invisible for a long time...

Thank you (gazumped) for your response. I am sorry I could not clarify the second time. What I wanted to say is that I have clipped so many articles that there are lots of hits with just a simple keyword search (i.e. "quantum entanglement"). So the problem is not the recall but precision (of trying to find the article I exactly want). Therefore I want to narrow it down with additional criteria, especially like narrowing a search between certain dates for the "created date".

I also wish there is some relevance score taken to account (or be able to sort by relevance) where it will look at the number of keywords that appeared in the note.

Yes once I find the clipped note, then I will be able to go to the original source by clicking its URL if it is set. Thank you for the information.

Lastly, I clicked on the link but I could not find "Show Evernote content related to my web searches":

On 9/17/2020 at 8:08 PM, gazumped said:

From Web Clipper Options, check or uncheck 'Show Evernote content related to my web searches' and Google, Bing & other search engines will show general search results alongside the search term(s) on your own notes. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 9/11/2020 at 9:39 PM, MakWada said:
  • Narrowing the search by matched string in Author {作成者}
    (When I say matched string, I mean ... search for "Smith" and you get "John Smith", "Will Smith")
  • Narrowing the search by matched string in URL {URL}
  • Narrowing the search by matched string in Last Edited by {最終編集者}
  • Narrowing the search by specifying the time span for Created {作成日時}
    (i.e. 20151218-2020/09/12)
  • Narrowing the search by specifying the time span for Updated {更新日時}
    (i.e. 20151218-2020/09/12)

The bulk of this already exists in the Windows desktop. EN only matches the beginning of strings. 

@CalS  Thank you for your comment. However, I am also using Windows desktop EN (Evernote) [Evernote for Windows (6.25.1.9091 (309091) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954)].

On 9/20/2020 at 11:20 PM, CalS said:

The bulk of this already exists in the Windows desktop. EN only matches the beginning of strings.

I have read How to use Evernote's advanced search syntax. I do not think these exist. For example, can you narrow the search by specifying the following?

1. You can not specify timespan or before a certain date.
    i.e. created:20151218-20200912 (between 20151218-20200912 [timespan inclusive])
           updated:-20200912                 (before 20200912 [inclusive])
  2. You cannot specify URL like
    i.e. url:*.amazon.co.jp*

Maybe I just do not know how.

@DTLow Thanks for the following. I did not know that. I did check that it works and also found a Forum entry that mentions it (How to search for shared notes?) but they should really document this on How to use Evernote's advanced search syntax. This is super useful for finding things that are shared inadvertently.

On 9/20/2020 at 11:33 PM, DTLow said:

Search parameter   sharedate:*

I also understand that unless I post on facebook, twitter or some other form of SNS with the shared link then it will unlikely be indexed by Google: Who can see my shared notes from public URL links? Thank you again for the comment.

Where do you (CalS) get all these useful information? I see your replies everywhere (not just mine). I am really grateful for sharing your knowledge with me. I also really really wish Evernote put the information you've provided me on to their official documentation:
    - How to use Evernote's advanced search syntax
I guess the things that still eludes me is the following (which I suspect for some of them are still not available as a search feature):

On 9/12/2020 at 11:39 AM, MakWada said:

Narrowing the search by matched string in Last Edited by {最終編集者}

On 9/12/2020 at 11:39 AM, MakWada said:
  • Narrowing the search to just matched string of the filename of the attached resource {添付ファイル名のみの検索}
    (I know you can narrow narrow the search to notes with has attachments by specifying resource:*)
  • Even allowing an option for narrowing the search to just matched string of the filename of within the attached compressed resource (i.e. zip)
    {圧縮ファイル内のファイル名 (例: zipファイル内のファイル名) を検索するオプションも含めて}
  • Allow or ignore casing (lowercase vs uppercase) during searching with strings {大文字・小文字のを区別するかしないかのオプション}

This is just my personal notes on thing I found from other posts which I found useful:
    - Find Note Author
    - Search notes with source URL: Cheat sheets (for advanced search syntax)