White Evernote Taskbar Icon & Auto-Fill of URL in Note Info

I just upgraded to Windows 10 (running Evernote 6.25.1.9091) from Windows 7 (running Evernote 6.16.4.8094).

In Win 7, Evernote has, in addition to the green Evernote icon near the left side of the Windows taskbar, a white Evernote icon that appears in the System Tray (aka Notification Area) at the right side of the taskbar. I don't see any way to get this white Evernote icon to appear with Win 10.

The reason I'd like to get it working (or a workaround) is that -- when its settings are set to "Copy Selection," I select text in a Microsoft Word file, and then click this white Evernote icon -- Evernote (in addition to copying the selected text into a new note) automatically copies the path to the file into the URL field in the note Info (in the format file:///C:\Users\my_name\filename).

The benefit of this is that to get back to the document to copy more text into another note, all I have to do is click the URL field in the note -- rather than by navigating back to the document using Windows/File Explorer.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Evernote - White Taskbar Icon.png

On 9/9/2020 at 2:10 AM, Archimedes said:

The reason I'd like to get it working (or a workaround) is that -- when its settings are set to "Copy Selection," I select text in a Microsoft Word file, and then click this white Evernote icon -- Evernote (in addition to copying the selected text into a new note) automatically copies the path to the file into the URL field in the note Info

Hi... I've never used this before so thought I would try it out. 

image.png.b0b8351884935818837da9f45d9fc286.png

Observations:

1- When I simply click the 'white EN Elephant icon' in the system tray, as mine too is displayed there, as Gazumped said, all it does is open EN (if not already open else it does nothing). 

2- In order to copy 'Text & URL' into a note, I had to use default keyboard shortcut path:  CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+A  ...as clicking the white elephant icon (if EN Open) did nothing!?

3- When using the keyboard shortcut for selected Text of a MS-Word doc, the link pasted to the Note does indeed open the MS word doc immediately... I love this.  better than the way I use to manually copy and paste the file path location to EN

4- The new Note is created within the 'Notebook' I am currently working in, Not my default notebook...interesting

Questions:

1- Out of curiosity @Archimedes... after you initially create and save a MS-Word Doc, why wouldn't you just attach/move the whole MS Word file into an EN Note, and dispense with even needing to copy text/url???  I think the MS Word doc is your central source-of-truth file from which pieces of info are copied to multiple/separate EN Notes, in which case I would have thought an EN TOC Note, would better serve your needs, esp if wanting to use when working remotely from different devices.

Besides that good to learn a new tip on EN, cheers

RavBoy,

- Regarding your observation #2: CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+A did nothing for me. By the way, I couldn't find this shortcut mentioned on Evernote's website, or anywhere else. Might there be a typo in what you wrote?

- To answer your question about why I wouldn't store the Word file in the EN note: under Windows 7 (which I just upgraded from and still have on another computer): Evernote stores attached Word files in its Databases/Attachments folder; and since I have a great many Word docs to deal with, I don't take up a huge amount of disk space if I have an alternative (i.e., what I described in my initial post).

That said, I just found that (contrary to my expectation that it would replicate my Windows 7 installation), when I installed EN under Windows 10, the Attachments folder did not contain any of the handful of files I had stored there under Windows 7. Where does EN under Win 10 store its attachments?

5 hours ago, Archimedes said:

when I installed EN under Windows 10, the Attachments folder did not contain any of the handful of files I had stored there under Windows 7.

To be clear, we/I am talking about using EN-for-Windows exclusively, and moving/attaching recently created MS-Word docs inside an EN-Note, from which all future views/edits etc would be done in EN.  So after the initial MS Word Doc is attached/copied to an EN Note, one would then delete it from their PC, as I now do. This way the MS Word Doc would simply become part of the EN database like any other attached video/image/audio/document etc we add to an EN Note.

Where does EN under Win 10 store its attachments?

Sounds like you're referring to the actual 'attachments' EN database folder located on your PC.  I have never used this folder to store any files, MS Word docs or otherwise.   In any case the location path on my PC is:  C:\Users\<user>\Evernote\Databases\Attachments     And also, my attachments folder also has a tiny fraction of the actual file/video/image attachemtns added across my thousands of EN Notes... I don't know the why or how...

CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+A did nothing for me. By the way, I couldn't find this shortcut mentioned on Evernote's website, or anywhere else.

I'm on EN-for-Windows v6.25.1 and the keyboard shortcut combination can be modified via either the tray icon or EN-windows app via Menu> Tools> Options> Shortcut Keys from where you can reconfigure the keyboard combination to to what you want.  Apparently this is the default, as Gazumped also showed above.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, RavBoy said:

Sounds like you're referring to the actual 'attachments' EN database folder located on your PC.  I have never used this folder to store any files, MS Word docs or otherwise.   In any case the location path on my PC is:  C:\Users\<user>\Evernote\Databases\Attachments     And also, my attachments folder also has a tiny fraction of the actual file/video/image attachemtns added across my thousands of EN Notes... I don't know the why or how...

The attachments folder is a temporary folder used when you open any attachments from within EN.  NOTHING is stored there.  You can clear the folder periodically as EN does not always clean it up as it should.  For Windows actual attachments are in the EXB file somewhere ....

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, CalS said:

The attachments folder is a temporary folder used when you open any attachments from within EN.  NOTHING is stored there. 

Thanks @CalS very helpful.  You say nothing is 'stored there'... however I did have large MP4 video files still existing there, and from over 6 months ago.  However clearing the content of the whole attachments folder did not affect anything in my EN... so that's great, plus benefit of removing about a GB of files off my Hard drive  

As for a newly created MS-Word doc I just then added to new note, to test/see what would happen, if it would appear in the PC EN Db Attachment folder...well yes it did, however the file type used by EN to refer to it was called a 'BACKUP File' ...not too mention .mp3 and .pdf file types also shown as 'BACKUP File' types... so yep clearing the folder appeared to do nothing, so thanks for that tip. 

image.png

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, RavBoy said:

You say nothing is 'stored there'.

Nothing of merit.  It’s detritus from opening an attachment which doesn’t get cleaned up like it should.

Be sure no attachments are being edited when you delete everything in the folder. 

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, RavBoy said:

Sounds like you're referring to the actual 'attachments' EN database folder located on your PC.

That's not where attachments are stored. That's where EN creates a copy when it needs to open the attachment. The attachments are stored in the database (exb file). You can safely delete everything in there (well, you could when I was there...)

11 hours ago, CalS said:

It’s detritus from opening an attachment which doesn’t get cleaned up like it should.

EN can only clean it if it knows the program using it has closed. There's no way for it to know if the program using the file simply closed the file. And to make things more fun, if the program is a Windows Store App, there's no way to know if the program itself closed. So EN plays it safe and just leaves them there.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, dcon said:

EN can only clean it if it knows the program using it has closed. There's no way for it to know if the program using the file simply closed the file. And to make things more fun, if the program is a Windows Store App, there's no way to know if the program itself closed. So EN plays it safe and just leaves them there.

Thanks for the why.

• Like 1