(Archived) copy images from some websites

Hi. I have a problem: can't copy images from some websites.

Steps to reproduce the problem:

1, There should be a website that you can't visit without using a proxy, or that you can't see pictures without logging in first.

2, Set the browser to use the proxy and visit the website, or log in.

3, Copy a picture from the browser and paste it into Evernote.

Expected result:

The picture appears in Evernote.

Real result:

Evernote freezes for several seconds. Nothing appears in Evernote.

My guess:

Evernote tries to download the picture, but it can't access the website, so it keeps trying and freezes. Eventually it gives up.

Behaviour of other softwares:

Copy the picture into Microsoft OneNote, and it works fine.

The question is: isn't the picture already in the clipboard? Why does Evernote need to download it again?

Please fix this. Thank you.

What web browser are you using? Can you view that image from IE on that computer?

I think that if you copy part of a page with an embedded image, then the Windows clipboard will just give us the HTML which includes the URL for the image, and we need to get the image ourself. If you dragged just that image from the browser into Evernote, that might give better results.

Yes, I can see the picture from IE if I'm using a proxy or have logged in.

My primary browser is Chrome. Chrome has a command "copy image". I have also tried dragging the image to Evernote (actually this is how I did it initially). The result is the same.

Maybe you can try it yourself? Find a site that allows the user to set photos as private (Facebook maybe, I can't test, because I need to use a proxy to access facebook, which makes me impossible to tell whether the problem is caused by the using of a proxy or the need to logging in.).

On the other hand, even if Evernote can't get access to the image, it shouldn't freeze, should it? Maybe it can show a message, when the downloading gets too long, to tell us that it is trying to download the image, and I can press Esc to cancel.

Thank you.

Not sure what you're going to use the image for, but if you just want to see the image & don't need the original file, you could take an Evernote screen cap.

That is a very good workaround. :( Thank you.

But I do need the original file at times. :lol:

I have tried Evernote 4. Same result.

It doesn't have to be proxy. As I have said, it is either or the two situations: 1) when one uses a proxy, and 2) when one needs to log in to see the picture. Can you please try the later?

I can provide an example site (in Chinese). If you would like to try, please leave a message. I'll PM you the username and password. Thank you.

No response?

After trying Evernote 4 for some time, I find that Evernote 4 is even worse in copying pictures!

It just fails randomly!

I have to switch back to Evernote 3.5.

This problem I said in the original post is easily reproducible. Since nobody shows interest in receiving PM, I have to post it here. Please try.

1, go to http://bbs.themex.net/showthread.php?t=16867066

2, enter username and password, as shown in attachment 1 (upper right corner). Press enter to log in.

username: Alistair

password: 123456

3, the image will appear, as shown in attachment 2. Please try to copy that image to Evernote, and see what happens.

post-25622-131906067857_thumb.jpg

post-25622-131906067859_thumb.jpg

Archived