P2P devices folders synchronization

Dmitry

Idea

Hi!
I would like to propose to add the function of synchronizing folders on devices based on P2P technology. Without uploading files to the cloud, only synchronizing data between selected folders on users devises.

Example. I have a 10 GB folder with scanned documents on the server. I need a copy of these files on my laptop and a colleague's laptop, but I don't want to upload and download over the Internet (sensitive information, slow connection, etc.). I would like to mark this folder in Evernote to sync, and retrieve a copy of it quickly and safely over the local network on the laptop (P2P technology).

Result. My notes are stored in the cloud, my data is synced across devices - and it's all set up in one Evernote interface

20 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Dmitry said:

I would like to mark this folder in Evernote to sync, and retrieve a copy of it quickly and safely over the local network on the laptop (P2P technology).

fwiw  This will not be "folder" technology    
The scanned documents are stored as notes in the Evernote database,    
and are identified by tag or notebook    
Evernote currently has Local Notebooks; notes are not uploaded to the servers,
however the notes are restricted to the single device

7 minutes ago, DTLow said:

fwiw  This will not be "folder" technology    
The scanned documents are stored as notes in Evernote,    
and will be identified by tag or notebook    
Evernote currently has Local Notebooks that are not uploaded to the servers over the internet,   
but they are device specific

No, you did not understand.
I mean exactly the p2p synchronization of folders between different devices.
Regardless of the content: documents, images, data files, media.

Two tasks: 1) sync quickly for multiple devices 2) do not upload data to the server.
It's a p2p technology, like Resilio Sync.

Notes and light data are synchronized as usually. Bulk data only syncs between devices. Synchronization settings are managed by Evernote

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

I would like to propose to add the function of synchronizing folders on devices based on P2P technology. Without uploading files to the cloud, only synchronizing data between selected folders on users devises.

What are the benefits or advantage of this proposal?

3 minutes ago, charlieedstrom said:

What are the benefits or advantage of this proposal?

Complete solution to all of data synchronization task.

The user does not need to understand the sync algorithms and architecture and choose which data and which way should be synchronized. It will have one complete solution - for notes, light documents, music, big data files.

All devices will have an up-to-date set of data, without unnecessary Internet costs and longtime client-server synchronization.

This will also attract commercial users - development teams who will not need to buy the volumes of cloud storage and overload the network when copying large amounts of data to all devices.

Just imagine - you have one application that synchronizes your personal notes and documents, working documents, and you always have up-to-date data files (application releases, videos, software builds) - even with a weak Internet  (or without internet at all)

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

Just imagine - you have one application that synchronizes your personal notes and documents, working documents, and you always have up-to-date data files (application releases, videos, software builds) - even with a weak Internet  (or without internet at all)

I think I understand. You are looking for a solution to sync notes, without the internet. 

8 hours ago, charlieedstrom said:

I think I understand. You are looking for a solution to sync notes, without the internet. 

No, this is not entirely true.

For notes I have Evernote. It's a good tool, and it's easy to store your notes in the cloud and to have access to them from any browser.
But besides notes, I have large working media and documents that I do not want (and sometimes do not have the right) to upload to the cloud.

I need these files on my two laptops, on a server in my office and on my home computer. They are also used by colleagues and need up-to-date versions.

I solve this problem this way
1. For notes - Evernote
2. For general documents - google drive (paid account)
3. For big media data - google drive (paid account) and several desktop utilities for synchronization over the local network (paid) (one of them is Resilio Sync)

My guess is that Evernote can become a data sync hub, not just notes.
To do this, you need to add the p2p synchronization function.

If this is implemented, it will be more profitable for me to have a paid Evernote account for all team members and refuse to pay Google Drive space and synchronization utilities.

This feature will attract new commercial users.

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

My guess is that Evernote can become a data sync hub, not just notes.

Why would you think a note storage/sync company should be a candidate for this?   
Evernote's business is notes
Data sync hub is a different business and already addressed by various companies

9 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Evernote's business is notes

Perhaps sometimes to change the point of view?

The client's problem is data synchronization in general. Notes are only part of the data. Notes sync is only part of data sync.
I think that it would be a competitive advantage - to offer not only synchronization of notes, but also the possibility of p2p file synchronization, without the Internet and cloud storage

• Level 5

Your idea could be useful, under circumstances. You have to remember that the mobile clients hold no own local database, which would restrict the idea to desktop clients.

There are solutions with localized data bases that sync from there, and allow to hold offline copies. I would suggest a look at DEVONthink (Mac only) or the NoteStation running on Synology NAS Systems, with clients for all OSes including Linux. So a localized EN would IMHO just be a me-too product. Without the very powerful programs that execute on the EN Server it would even be a pretty weak competitor in that field.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Dmitry said:

I think that it would be a competitive advantage - to offer not only synchronization of notes, but also the possibility of p2p file synchronization, without the Internet and cloud storage

The addition of p2p note synchronization is valid as a competitive advantage
imho Your "data sync hub, not just notes" is not      
          (neither was selling socks) 🙂

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Dmitry said:

The client's problem is data synchronization in general. Notes are only part of the data. Notes sync is only part of data sync.

How is it P2P if EN is in the middle?  How's that different than sharing cloud folders?  And how do you do remote P2P without Internet?

On 9/8/2020 at 10:56 PM, CalS said:

How is it P2P if EN is in the middle

Hi!

I never said that EN should be in the middle. My idea is that the client applications of the EN support p2p synchronization of files without uploading them to a dumb storage via the Internet

• Level 5

This means you need to run your own server (and the dumb storage in the internet is not so dumb in case of EN, just to make this point). This means you have all the responsibility related to it: Select and install hard- and software, access control, firewall, up-/downtime management, updates, backup, admin job etc. All this is managed in case of EN by the not-so-dumb internet storage (which is not a dull server somewhere, but a distributed, redundant server structure that keeps your data safe even if a big stone falls on one of the data centers).

If you want to host stuff yourself, you could try DEVONthink (Mac&iOS only), or host a nextcloud-Server on a NAS or even a RaspberryPi. 

It can be done, but you will find out how much hours go into managing this to make and keep it running. I promise you that your respect about this "dull" job will rise dramatically.

10 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

This means you need to run your own server (and the dumb storage in the internet is not so dumb in case of EN, just to make this point). This means you have all the responsibility related to it: Select and install hard- and software, access control, firewall, up-/downtime management, updates, backup, admin job etc. All this is managed in case of EN by the not-so-dumb internet storage (which is not a dull server somewhere, but a distributed, redundant server structure that keeps your data safe even if a big stone falls on one of the data centers).

No no no....
just p2p, peer-to-peer. Only.
Please read first
1. Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer-to-peer

2. Practice example https://www.resilio.com/blog/whats-the-difference-between-peer-to-peer-and-client-server

I propose to add the functionality of the p2p client to the synchronization of notes (as it is done now)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

Hi!

I never said that EN should be in the middle. My idea is that the client applications of the EN support p2p synchronization of files without uploading them to a dumb storage via the Internet

Well EN is in the middle of you want them to create the function.  😉

If you are trying to eliminate Google Drive costs I would guess using a stand alone p2p app is your best bet.

• Level 5

Makes no sense. The proposal completely underestimates the function of the EN server platform.

What would be left is a dump file syncing service, one of a thousand. Get yourself a dropbox or something like this (often included in packages, like iCloud or OneDrive), and that is it.

P2P depends on having both peers active at the same time. That is stone age IT. Of all what makes EN special, nothing would survive.

1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

Makes no sense. The proposal completely underestimates the function of the EN server platform.

What would be left is a dump file syncing service, one of a thousand. Get yourself a dropbox or something like this (often included in packages, like iCloud or OneDrive), and that is it.

You have not understood anything at all. Very sad.
EN server platform is still the same, and I still using it for notes sync.

But for large files, I using cloud space and LAN sync software.
Thus, I do not buy an EN subscription (free is enough), but I buy disk space in the cloud and buy desktop applications - for the whole team.
But let me rather buy only EN, and solve all my synchronization needs in a modern and efficient way. Why not?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Why do you think so?

I don't work for the company but I would bet EN won't invest in implementing a p2p capability to put under the covers of their client.  Ever.