(Archived) Local vs. Synchronized Notebook

EverNote for Mac seems very interesting. However, I do have a concern and wanted to get clarification on it.

One of the concerns I would have about using this tool is I wouldn't want propriatary information of my employer getting back to EverNote servers. The concequences of doing so would be...significant. If I make a local notebook, is there any pathway for information to get transfered back to the EverNote servers?

Thanks,

Ryan

The intent of the "Local Notebooks" feature is that the content of a Note which is placed into a local notebook will never be synchronized to the service. In addition, if you move a note from a synchronized (private) notebook to a local notebook on your machine, the note on the service will be completely deleted, so the only copy should be on your local machine.

We've received reports that the second part of this may not be working correctly on the Mac version of the software, so we're working to resolve this. (I.e. if you make a note on the service and then move it to a local Mac notebook, there may still be a copy on the service.) The next Mac build (late next week) should fix this problem.

The "local notebooks" feature is a relatively new addition to the beta and we appreciate the help in getting this feature right. We aim to exceed the security and privacy options that you expect from comparable services like email and messaging.

Thanks

The intent of the "Local Notebooks" feature is that the content of a Note which is placed into a local notebook will never be synchronized to the service.

But what about synchronization between your PDA and your computer?

I understand that to really synchronize you have to go through the web sync, that will be the base reference.

But if you don't want (or don't have access to the Internet while on the go), how do you sync what you have on your PDA and your desktop/laptop?

To me, this is THE MOST important feature of all.

In the long term, we would like to support synchronization of your notes to PDAs and smart phones. We tested this with a technology preview last year and found that it's a tricky problem to sync large databases onto small devices, so it will take us a while to get this to be a fully supported part of our solution.

Archived