Windows Drawbacks with Evernote

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, badjer.phoenix said:

Windows version of Evernote compared to the Mac version?

Scripting with Applescript is a Mac thing (https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/applescript.php)   
I have many scripts providing an enhanced workflow 

Database storage is different; Windows uses a single .exb file

Data backup with Time Machine is a Mac thing (hourly incremental)

Windows sequence for note merging is seemingly random; actually it's selection order of the notes

There's no free Windows apps for Word Processing and Spreadsheets; Mac has apps Pages/Numbers     
I don't think these formats are supported on Windows   
Macs have inline display for Office/iWork documents

Windows does not support keyboard shortcut assignment for any menu object

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
18 hours ago, badjer.phoenix said:

Thank you so much

Sounds like nothing to the point that it would effect the user's experience

I've dabbled a bit with EN on the Mac and I find it to have fewer resident features than Windows.  I could resurrect the list, but it's been a while.  I just suffer through it when ever I bring out the old Macbook Pro.  It may be that I am more accustomed to Windows in general, I just know when I try to do the same things on the Mac within the EN bubble it is harder than it is on Windows within the EN bubble, hands down.  Time wasted in my view.  One data point in the wilderness for you.  ;)

IAC, the ongoing rewrite is supposed to normalize the differences in platforms.  Not really looking forward to that based upon what I've seen to date in the betas....

• Like 1

Evernote doesn't even maintain features across platforms . I wonder how archaic the Windows version of Evernote is - far behind that of MacOS's version. I got to know that the Windows' version doesn't support tabbed notes the hard way. 

Btw, I moved to Nimbus note and I am really enjoying it. Far more cheaper, great looking modern UI, much more flexible to use with workspaces and very responsive app support - I had issues migrating my evernote files to Nimbus note, they responded immediately and fixed it . Earlier posts really talked ill about this product but look at the number of security certifications it has managed. 

The last evernote update for windows was 10 months ago - I wonder what I am paying for an year. Will probably dump after about an year. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, yugal_k said:

Evernote doesn't even maintain features across platforms

Yup.  And the features I use don't exist on the Mac best I can tell from trying to do my day to day stuff there.  Use cases are a many splendored thing.

• Level 5

@yugal_k You pay for using the software, you pay for having a support waiting for your input, you pay for server operations that keep your data safe and available 24/7. Some of your money goes into development, so probably you pay for this as well.

And when you find another software that does a better job for you, has a more responsive support team and new stuff that makes your heart jump, you switch and put your money there. That’s life ...good luck.

For my workflows EN is still the best offer, so for the same reasons you may switch, I decide to stay.

I tried Nimbus for a while & they are a great app. Great support team, no question there

However, I found trying to screen capture & annotate the images were quite clunky. For me, images & annotations are a 1st class citizen in my workflow so for me Nimbus is not quite there yet. Best of luck to you, though, if Nimbus is meeting all of your needs :)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
11 hours ago, badjer.phoenix said:

Would be interested in this list. If not it is fine either way

You're changing your discussion topic   
I know of one significant Windows only feature: On Demand Sync   
Notes are not stored locally unless recently accessed    
This significantly reduces the local storage requirements

A similar feature, Offline Notebooks, is mobile only and missing from both Mac and Widows   
We get to select notebooks for Offline use; the remainder are accessed via the internet

• Like 1

@PinkElephant Thank you for educating me. In past 2 years I opened one feature request for tabbed notes in the windows version of the app. It's already there in the Max OS's version and there is no sight of when this will be implemented in Windows version. I don't reach out to Evernote for the simple fact that they do not respond. I know there are a lot of fanboys for Evernote including me and so whenever an existing Evernote user talks great about another app , one gets frantic responses   "It's working great from me". 

Also, all these app servers are now hosted on cloud, so Evernote and others are already enjoying the flexibility of cloud pricing plus the  additional deep discounts they would have negotiated with the cloud provider. So the cost of maintaining the fleet of servers and operations has come down drastically along with freeing up employees for product development. Everyone is waiting for the results !

I can only wish that Evernote comes good with its promise of turning things around - but when ! The forum is already abuzz with lack of clarity again. Till then I am sailing in two boats until it makes no sense.

@CalS  Yes use cases are many a splendored thing. You may abhor or may not need folder support but others may equally need it. No one can claim to be a platinum standard of a typical user of Evernote.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, badjer.phoenix said:

@CalS Would be interested in this list. If not it is fine either way.

Good to know that you think it is just as good on Windows for your needs with your EN workflow

It’s been a while and I did not document at the time, shame on me.  Though one thing that sticks with me was there was no import folder capability on the Mac.  A chunk of my use case is paperless and I use the import function multiple times per day. There was a workaround with Apple script but I was not interested in learning.  A great tool for those who like it just not for me.

Again it could have been my lack of familiarity with the Mac in general but at the same time when I was in the EN app it was just took longer to get things done.  I have been using EN for over 10 years now, have become paperless, am pushing 50,000 notes, and have developed my own rhythm with EN.  The rhythm is better on Windows for me.  No doubt not the case for everyone.  🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, yugal_k said:

@CalS  Yes use cases are many a splendored thing. You may abhor or may not need folder support but others may equally need it. No one can claim to be a platinum standard of a typical user of Evernote.

Couldn’t agree more.  Folks need to pick what works best for them after consideration. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, CalS said:

Though one thing that sticks with me was there was no import folder capability on the Mac.  A chunk of my use case is paperless and I use the import function multiple times per day. There was a workaround with Apple script but I was not interested in learning

Confirmed; Applescript and folder actions are built in to the Mac OS, not app specific  
I use them all the time for Evernote and other apps; the combination works well for an import folder

• Thanks 2