Multiple files with manual backup

add101020

Idea

Hello,

i have a short question about the backup function, when i want to create a backup in form of an enex file via "Export notes...".

Up to now, the backup always created an enex file which grew slowly (logical) and had a size of 880 MB.
But during my last backup two enex files were created, one named "Evernote.enex" and 856 MB size and one named "Evernote [2].enex" and 116 MB size.

Is this normal, i.e. does the program create several files for backup, but with a certain total size of the Evernote notebook, or did something go wrong?

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 8/28/2020 at 4:17 AM, add101020 said:

Hello,

i have a short question about the backup function, when i want to create a backup in form of an enex file via "Export notes...".

Up to now, the backup always created an enex file which grew slowly (logical) and had a size of 880 MB.
But during my last backup two enex files were created, one named "Evernote.enex" and 856 MB size and one named "Evernote [2].enex" and 116 MB size.

Is this normal, i.e. does the program create several files for backup, but with a certain total size of the Evernote notebook, or did something go wrong?

There's a setting under Tools - Options - Note where the max size of an ENEX export file can be set.  If left at zero there is no limitation.  You might take a look to see what value is there.   Be sure and have Show advanced options checked.

image.png.f79f34400e398036c8e43411b78fed63.png

• Level 5*
On 8/28/2020 at 2:17 AM, add101020 said:

It's a new Windows "feature"   
To resolve a problem importing large .enex files, Evernote is creating segments

7 hours ago, DTLow said:

It's a new Windows "feature"   
To resolve a problem importing large .enex files, Evernote is creating segments

Thanks, then it is "normal" and I leave the settings as they are.

I assume that it does not make sense to change this default value from "1157 MB" to 0 MB, correct?

2020-08-30 08_10_21_Screenshot.jpg

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, add101020 said:

I assume that it does not make sense to change this default value from "1157 MB" to 0 MB, correct?

Correct, setting to 0 will cause a risk of large .enex files than can't be accessed

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, add101020 said:

Thanks, then it is "normal" and I leave the settings as they are.

2020-08-30 08_10_21_Screenshot.jpg

Up to you. As your backups aren’t that large at this point you should be safe setting it to 0 for some time. It impacts you at recovery time as each ENEX must be loaded individually.  If it’s only a couple of files not that big a deal either way.