Some thoughts about evernote

1. I am very satisfied with the current functions of evernote, and I don’t want him to change it, especially the new preview version, which I don’t like
  2. An account can have up to 100,000 notes. I am worried about exceeding the limit. I don't want to use two accounts. (Although I only have 15,000 notes now
  3. I think evenote is very good, so I am very worried about whether this company can be long-term, for example, like a slogan, to be a century-old company

These thoughts are not the problems I have encountered now, and I have not encountered any problems now. This kind of thought is probably an anxiety about the future.

• Level 5*

Hi.  I've used Evernote to convert a small library of information into electronic copies,  and I continue to use it every day.  I'm up to 50,000 notes and growing (very slowly now).  I don't think you'll get to 100,000 anytime soon.  If that were to happen,  it would be  fairly easy to find and archive notes that have not been opened recently.  If Evernote were ever likely to stop providing their service,  I'm sure we would have more than enough time to choose a successor and import our notes into another application.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, vegerote said:

so I am very worried about whether this company can be long-term

There's no guarantee, but I know that our data isn't locked in.   
Evernote's export feature makes it easy to have continued access to our notes/documents

7 hours ago, vegerote said:
  1. I am very satisfied with the current functions of evernote, and I don’t want him to change it, especially the new preview version, which I don’t like

Based on the stability of the Beta the new versions are definitely coming... I think that ship has sailed and that is the direction the app is headed. Personally I love the new version. While change is tough, it is coming

• Ex Employees
9 hours ago, vegerote said:
  2. An account can have up to 100,000 notes. I am worried about exceeding the limit. I don't want to use two accounts. (Although I only have 15,000 notes now
  3. I think evenote is very good, so I am very worried about whether this company can be long-term, for example, like a slogan, to be a century-old company

Regarding point #2.

I can't speak for any decisions the company might make, but I can speak to experiences at my former companies. Hard limits on things related to storage are usually completely arbitrary. There are only limits in order to prevent abuse. Without the limits, abusers can and will find ways to exploit it. If there were concerns that legitimate users with legitimate uses were hitting that upper limit, I'm sure the company would make efforts to either bump the limit for all or have one-offs for the specific user so as not to impact their experience.

• Level 5
15 hours ago, vegerote said:

How fast is your note count growing ? If you are on 15.000 now, how long did it take you to get there ? And how much growth is there per year ? If I look at the development in the IT technology, a limit that may apply today is probably lifted 5 or 10 years from now. My first PC had a 20MB HDD, and it looked as if this would be enough space FOREVER. I think  100.000 notes is a lot to be filled - unless you use EN for something it was not build for, like archiving photos (one note per picture ...).

Nice to imagine a 100 year old company - but for us humans there is the proverb that says „on a long term view we are all dead“. So enjoy life, use EN, don’t worry, be happy ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Being 100-yr old company was a vision by EN's 1st CEO - don't think it is still EN vision under new management.

If you really worried what will happen to your notes in decades time, then I suggest you keep your notes using as simple format as possible - like text/ASCII format.

If you have images, then you can use HTML or DOCX - Microsoft's format will exist for a long time due to billions of user base. If Microsoft goes bust someone else will make DOCX files readable for foreseeable future.

In fact, EN is now somewhat obsolete. You can do lot more in word processor like Word and Onedrive allows you to search within Office documents. If you don't use Onedrive, there are many free 3rd party tools which offers searching inside DOCX/XLSX/PPTX/VSDX files.

I am in the process of slowly converting my EN notes to DOCX or RTF formats. I can keep these files any cloud location as per my wish and can search inside them using suitable apps. Using this model, I am no longer having dependency on a single company like EN.

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, Vidalia said:

I am no longer having dependency on a single company like EN.

Hi.  I don't agree with your comments,  and I don't feel 'dependent' on Evernote despite having 51,000 current notes and a subscription to both Evernote and a couple of external apps that help me manage the account better. 

I could drop Evernote tomorrow,  and if it no longer suited my needs I wouldn't hesitate to do so:  other note-takers out there are sufficiently hungry for Evernote's business that they have their own import routines where I can convert my notes to the different format.  I have a complete daily backup of all my notes in ENEX format - which other third parties say they can convert too... and I'm sure if Evernote were in danger of self-destructing in some way,  we'd get plenty of warning and options to transfer to other providers.

Plus Evernote has more users than many small countries have residents and - we were told earlier this year - a positive balance sheet.  Not to mention the multi-million (or was that billion)-dollar investments they've already raised.

I'm a firm believer in crossing bridges only when I need to,  and keeping copies of notes in different formats and in different places seems pointless overkill.  Plus Evernote centralises searches,  is available easily and (more or less) anywhere,  and I can throw new data at it as fast as I can send emails / take pictures / clip web pages.  It's fast,  efficient and convenient.  And - the most important thing - it works for me.

I'd say that a regular backup of the note database is as much as you need to worry about - and that's more in case of internet or hardware meltdown than Evernote imploding!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Vidalia said:

If you have images, then you can use HTML or DOCX ...

HTML works for me
Evernote's base format (enml) is essentially html   
I maintain backups in true html

>>You can do lot more in word processor like Word ...

I agree - I store word processing documents in Evernote as note attachment files   
Also spreadsheets

Is it possible to export A WHOLE FILE (or at least a whole Notebook) to html format? I mean, other than saving one note at a time, which, if you have hundreds of notes (as I do) would take few days?

HenryG

• Level 5*
On 8/30/2020 at 7:12 PM, HenryG said:

Is it possible to export A WHOLE FILE (or at least a whole Notebook) to html format? I mean, other than saving one note at a time, which, if you have hundreds of notes (as I do) would take few days?

HenryG

Hi.  On any desktop device you should be able to export the whole account,  one or more notebooks,  or selected individual notes as you prefer.

• Level 5*
On 8/30/2020 at 11:12 AM, HenryG said:

In my data backups, I execute a weekly export of over 13,000 notes.  It takes under 30 minutes on my Mac   
Evernote's export feature operates on the selected notes; single, multiple, whole notebook, whole file