I am using the latest version of Windows 10 to my knowledge.

I am backing up my data so that I can make a duplicate copy for OneNote https://www.onenote.com/import-evernote-to-onenote. My school computers have OneNote so I will use OneNote there.

I do not want to risk my EverNote files at all, and by the way, please do tell me if I would be better off just logging into evernote on school web browser instead of doing this procedure. It would save me some time too!

So I am backing up my Evernote files and I saved it to the same drive the app is saved to. I saved it to my file explorer and I wanted to open it to check. I tried to open it in the default place, as well as other areas e.g. 2019 Microsoft Word. However, this didn't work as there was some error which I took to the unofficial discord support server for Windows 10. Here, I was told that my apps that I used to open the file where not updated or meant to open such files (.enex). So sure enough I tried other apps and when I got to the default Windows 10 notes app it sort of worked. What I saw wasn't a normal layout but still it was strange. There were no spaces and it was constructed as if it were to be seen in the code file. I am not going to share a picture because atm I do not have access to it as it is not on this account from which this query is being written.

To sum it up, the backup file of what I think is all of my evernote files (I hit Cntrl A on the all my notes page) doesn't look normal. And I am wondering if worst comes to worst there will be a way for me to use these backup notes and import them into Evernote and have everything normal. - Oh also now that I think of it how do I check how much space each of my Evernote files take up and how much all of them take up together.

• Level 5*
On 8/24/2020 at 11:02 PM, Neel Agrawal said:

I am wondering if worst comes to worst there will be a way for me to use these backup notes and import them into Evernote and have everything normal

Hi.  There are several misconceptions here, so I'll try to unpack them in a logical order....

1. Onenote can (allegedly) import Evernote notes.  I'd imagine that would either be from the .EXB folder on a hard drive,  or from the server with your user name and password.  No 'backups' necessary in this process.  (Although it is a good idea to have a regular backup of your notes,  just in case...)
  2. An ENEX file is a bespoke hybrid XHTML file that Evernote uses as a backup format. If you open an ENEX file and re-save it wrongly it will corrupt the information stored there. 
    Do not mess with the ENEX files.
  3. If you export to ENEX,  create one file for each notebook you have,  and make sure that you check the 'options' to include tag information.
  4. If you import from ENEX you'll get a series of notes - a complete notebook - saved as a 'local notebook' in your Evernote database.
  5. If you want to export notes in a readable format,  try HTML - you can open those files in any web browser.

So that tool that I linked can be used with no worries and I should make backups of enex every now and then? Also I shouldnt touch enex files I should just trust that the backup worked? And I should back them up seperately not as one?

Also you mentioned tagging whats the point of tagging if u have notebooks.

Also, I learned u get 10 referral points for referring a friend how many times can u get referal points or how many times can you use referal points or a premium plan.

Also I am aware of basic premium and business but I have seen plus membership around what is that?

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, Neel Agrawal said:

Evernote provides two note metadata fields: Notebooks and Tags   
The primary organization tool is Tags

The Notebook field is not included in the export .enex data   
To preserve notebook information, each notebook has to be backed up separately

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, Neel Agrawal said:

So that tool that I linked can be used with no worries and I should make backups of enex every now and then? Also I shouldnt touch enex files I should just trust that the backup worked? And I should back them up seperately not as one?

Hmmn.  I hadn't looked at the link you posted until now.  I see that they do say 'export to enex' if you don't have Evernote installed on the device where you need the import to happen.  No clue why that would be,  or whether the enex file should be of the whole account,  or of individual notebooks.  OneNote handles notebooks and tags differently from Evernote,  so I'd guess it doesn't matter... but if you're copying your Evernote database into OneNote on the computer where you have Evernote installed,  it doesn't even matter.  Ignore ENEX files and just use the OneNote tool.

12 minutes ago, Neel Agrawal said:

Also, I learned u get 10 referral points for referring a friend how many times can u get referal points or how many times can you use referal points or a premium plan.

Also I am aware of basic premium and business but I have seen plus membership around what is that?

On tagging - Organize with tags

Referrals - How to refer a friend to Evernote

The Plus account is no longer available to new users.

• Level 5*
On 8/24/2020 at 5:02 PM, Neel Agrawal said:

I do not want to risk my EverNote files at all, and by the way, please do tell me if I would be better off just logging into evernote on school web browser instead of doing this procedure. It would save me some time too!

Yes to start and verify if works for you at school.  Switch to OneNote if it doesn't fit the use case at school.