Free up space on my iPhone

I have Evernote on my iPhone, iPad and computer.

My iPhone is getting full and it looks like Evernote is at the top of my list with 1.25 GB. My iPad has 1.6 GB. (should both have same data stored on it.)

Is it possible to uninstall and reinstall Evernote from my iPhone and that the storage would then look more like my iPad (1.6 GB) storage?

Next option if that won't help is to try to clean up my notes or by a new iPhone with more storage.

Also, I assume that if I delete Evernote off of my iPhone, it would still stay on my iPad & Desktop computer.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, thewolfe70 said:

Is it possible to uninstall and reinstall Evernote from my iPhone

The  master version of your data is stored on the servers    
After syncing any outstanding notes; go ahead and delete/reinstall Evernote on your mobile devices

The device storage is used for an offline copy of your data
The default for mobile devices is no offline notebooks (low storage use)
You can select specific notebooks for offline storage

• Level 5

On a mobile device, local storage is not zero even when you have no offline notebooks.

Note headers, previews and some basic information will be stored locally. So even if you delete the app, and reinstall, some local memory will be consumed. What you will get rid of is probably cached data from using the app.

Furthermore the 13.6 version of iOS had an error in storage handling. Make sure to update to 13.6.1.

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, thewolfe70 said:

Just deleted a bunch of notes from my iPad, they were gone from my iPhone when I checked, but gigs on the iPhone storage for Evernote were still the same.

Did you empty the trash?

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, thewolfe70 said:

Trash on my iPhone?

Evernote Trash

Deleting notes results in notes moved to Evernote Trash    
The notes are still using storage space

1CD99C88-46A7-4FAD-9F1D-D9AD276DC1E8.thumb.jpeg.89136e0674a0e96442d758f11a61e375.jpeg

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, thewolfe70 said:

Just deleted a bunch of notes from my iPad, they were gone from my iPhone when I checked, but gigs on the iPhone storage for Evernote were still the same.

EN uses IOS storage for any off line notebooks and caching of recently viewed notes.  I have like 1 offline notebook that contains 8 notes and EN is currently eating 1.55 GB on my phone.  An ENEX export of the 8 notes is 2.2 MB.  The arithmetic is not pretty unless I am missing something.

It is not not clear to me how EN sets the cache size or when it starts recycling the cache.  You can clear cache by going to Account - Support and pressing the option, which I just did.  I then stopped and started EN and now storage is 362 MB, so 1.2 GB was given back.  In any case the size of the cache is under the covers a bit.

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, thewolfe70 said:

Is offline the same as "local"?

Local Notebooks - data is not uploaded to the servers, it's only available on the device

Offline Notebook - data is uploaded to the servers, and a copy is maintained on the device    
                               - data can be accessed when offline (not connected to the internet)

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, thewolfe70 said:

Is offline the same as "local"?

Offline is specific to the mobile device.  EN only downloads header information for notes unless the notes are in what is referred to as an offline notebook.  Offline notebooks are flagged in EN settings on the mobile device.  Everything for the notes in these notebooks is downloaded.  This lets you see the contents of the notes if you are ever without Internet access.

• Level 5

Local notebooks are only available on the desktop clients for Windows and Mac. Since they are local ,  they are never uploaded to the EN server, and thus never to a mobile client.

On the desktop, all notebooks are offline by default, because EN holds a local database for all notes.

Mobile clients normaly have only a stripped down version of the database. When a note is opened, content is loaded from the EN server.

Only when a notebook is declared as „ offline“, the content is loaded to the device. This is device specific - I have only a few notebooks set to offline on my iPhone, but nearly all on my iPad which has more memory. You can decide on each device which notebook you want as offline.

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, thewolfe70 said:

Going to delete some notes. Will that help with space on iPhone?

I wouldn't think much unless the notes are in an Offline notebook.  Best bet is to go to Account - Support and clear cache.  Then close and reopen EN.  That's how I freed up 1.2 GB of space without any note changes.

71F86457-8310-442D-A36C-5A8BE81AD75D.thumb.jpg.cdbf82cc6b1592b8211a67322718b934.jpg

• Level 5

Slick ...

But when I tried it, it not just removed any cached information, it removed my offline notes as well.

It is downloading now again - better not do this when on a mobile network, or you will eat up a lot of your roaming allowance on this. Luckily I am on my Gigabit-WiFi at home.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

But when I tried it, it not just removed any cached information, it removed my offline notes as well.

I tested deleting the cache  - Offline notes remained intact (13+GB)

edit: Correction - same storage is still be used by Offline notes    
                             - notes can still be accessed when Offline
                             - Evernote says Offline notes are being re-downloaded    

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

But when I tried it, it not just removed any cached information, it removed my offline notes as well

Well that sounds like a bug, I wouldn’t think off line notebooks would qualify as cache.    Didn’t notice as I have few offline notes.  Sorry. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
19 minutes ago, thewolfe70 said:

Thinks for the advice.

I have done all of the above and have gained some space on my phone which was my goal.

You are welcome, glad it is sorted.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

I have been using Evernote from a very long time and always loved it. When I start the app, it works fine but as i start writing, it starts getting slow and it gets slow to a point where writing is left behind and the slow app takes over. Also to mention i do have quite a lot of pictures attached and I guess it's the huge data might be causing this. Does it help to clear Evernote caches (like mentioned here)?

• Level 5

1) All Posts in this thread prior to September 2020 apply to the old iOS app, and are not 1:1  usable for the new v10-app.

2) The mobile clients live off the data they draw from the EN server. They only cache a limited amount of data. One can make a download for offline use, but not in your case, since this is a Premium function.

3) No idea what slows down your iPhone (which iPhone is it ?). What often helps to clean out iPhones is to simply switch them completely off every week or so. This cleans out memory, without installing fancy tools. You have done it right when the Apple logo shows when restarting.

4) When the problem persists, you can uninstall the app, dumping all data when asked. Your data is safe on the server. Then switch off, wait a little, switch on again, install the EN app from the AppStore, log in and now let it sync the initial data before using it. You can compare the before and after in memory consumption in the iOS settings, general, iPhone memory.

5) Especially for Basic users it is advisable to keep notes short & small, and avoid memory carnivores like pictures. Your notes are limited to 25MB in the upload, you only have 60MB per month, and whenever you work on a note, finish editing and sync it back, the notes size will be taken from your upload allowance. The larger the note, the more you loose by edits. Smaller notes make for better editing as well.