Link back to orignal Gmail message from Evernote

grobiewan

Idea

I would like to be able to get back to the original Gmail message that I sent to Evernote via the Evernote for Gmail add-on. As it is, I can read the email in Evernote, which is great, but I'm using Evernote as a task manager, and, of course, I need to reply to many of the emails I sent Evernote. However, there is no way to get back to the original email from a note. I have to go back to Gmail and find the email that was forwarded (by searching for the subject or some other parameter). It would be great if we could just click on a link in the note to find the email in Gmail.

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 8/16/2020 at 10:24 AM, grobiewan said:

It would be great if we could just click on a link in the note to find the email in Gmail.

It would indeed.  In the meantime on those for me rare occasions that I know I want to get back to an email I drag the email from my mail client into the note created by the forward.  This creates an attachment which when double clicked opens the email in the mail client.  Would be a PITA if I had to do it often, but since I don't not the worst workaround.  Though I think you need to be using a client for email.  FWIW.

• Level 5*
On 8/16/2020 at 8:24 AM, grobiewan said:

I would like to be able to get back to the original Gmail message that I sent to Evernote via the Evernote for Gmail add-on.

As per CalS, I include a copy of the email in raw form (.eml) 
I also include a link back to the original note, however this is only functional temporarily - Evernote is my archive tool

I'm not using the Gmail or the Gmail add-on; I use a script on my Mac

Thanks, CaIS and DTLow. I wasn't aware that I could drag the email into a note and thus create an attachment that will link back, and great tip on the .eml. I'm attempting to use Evernote as my task manager with Gmail as my email program. I get lots of emails, and often want to turn them into tasks. Gmail now allows users to create Google Tasks from Gmail messages directly, but I don't want to use Google Tasks as my task manager. Many task managers have Google add-ons that I've experimented with, but the only one so far that preserves a link back to the email is Todoist. But, again, I really like Evernote  and hope to be able to trick it out to work as a task manager.

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, grobiewan said:

I wasn't aware that I could drag the email into a note and thus create an attachment that will link back

You are welcome.  It doesn't exactly link back to the original email though it kind of acts like it is.  It is a copy of the email that you can use to forward or reply at a later date.  If you do use it to reply or forward the result will appear in your Sent items folder.  Hope that is clear.